Basic AoL Combat Module

Try your luck at the Tavern of doom, or try out something else.
Gargoyle

Re: Basic AoL Combat Module

Post by Gargoyle » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:44 am

Really? I'd thought it referred just to the car they're in...
That makes them a lot more powerful than I thought...
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:51 am

Gargoyle wrote:Really? I'd thought it referred just to the car they're in...
That makes them a lot more powerful than I thought...
Yep. It's why they're so rare and why Prodigy is a Bossfight. He's not so much dangerous in himself, rather he makes everyone else dangerous. That said, he also gives free ammo and custom guns to the players through the time honoured exchange of... the players looting the Bandit's corpses.
Gargoyle

Post by Gargoyle » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:51 pm

...ouch.
Zath

Post by Zath » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:17 pm

So how would the set-up work...? I'm going to try this.

Scenario: Here's a team of 3 Heroes, created with the Mighty/Strong/Average rules (BTW, has anyone set out firm rules for that, or is it just confirmed/denied by the Narrator after he/she compares the player's choice to the Mighty options in the Creating Your Own Characters section of the MAG?), and they're ready for the Narrator to roll for the enemies they will encounter. The train will look a bit like this:
{Caboose}--{Car 1}--{Car 2}--{Car 3}--{Car 4}--{Car 5}--{Car 6}--{Car 7}--{Car 8}--{Engine}
with the players starting in the caboose, fighting through each car, and winning after they defeat the enemies in car 8 and make it to the engine.
For train cars 1-3, the Narrator rolls 3 dice for each car. Then for train cars 4-8, the Narrator rolls 6 dice for each car.

Car 1:
Zath rolled 3d6:
6, 5, 5

Steelrunner Swordsman and two Knife Fighters
Car 2:
Zath rolled 3d6:
4, 6, 4

Steelrunner Swordsman and two Gunners
Car 3:
Zath rolled 3d6:
6, 4, 1

Steelrunner Swordsman, a Gunner, and a Telekinetic Trickster
Car 4:
Zath rolled 6d6:
3, 1, 4, 4, 3, 6

Steelrunner Swordsman, two Gunners, two Shotgunners, and a Telekinetic Trickster. Boss: Pewter Savant Bandit.
Car 5:
Zath rolled 6d6:
2, 3, 1, 1, 2, 6

Steelrunner Swordsman, a Shotgunner, two Koloss-blooded Firefists, and two Telekinetic Tricksters
Car 6:
Zath rolled 6d6:
6, 1, 3, 6, 4, 3

Two Steelrunner Swordsmen, a Gunner, two Shotgunners, and a Telekinetic Trickster
Car 7:
Zath rolled 6d6:
3, 1, 2, 6, 1, 6

Two Steelrunner Swordsmen, a Shotgunner, Koloss-blooded Firefist, and two Telekinetic Tricksters
Car 8:
Zath rolled 6d6:
4, 6, 4, 4, 3, 2

Steelrunner Swordsman, three Gunners, a Shotgunner, and a Koloss-blooded Firefist. Wealthy Backer (or a similar enemy that affects entire encounter). Boss: Sparker Tinslinger
Finally, the Narrator rolls for the Boss in car 4 and for the Boss in car 8. Question- would you roll both dice at once, or one at a time? Or does it even matter, so long as it's not the same Boss in both cars?

Car 4 Boss:
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Zath rolled 1d6:
Pewter Savant Bandit

Car 8 Boss:
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Zath rolled 1d6:

That's a reroll, then. Here we go
Zath rolled 1d6:
Sparker Tinslinger

So! Did I do that right?
Also, I'd suggest giving the players a Short Breather after they defeat the Car 4 enemies. Maybe add in a Dining Car between 4 and 5, or something?
Zath

Post by Zath » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Kadrok wrote:Just out of curiosity, which of you can see the thread in which I'm creating Archvillains and Mooks for this module? And if you can, what do you think so far?
I cannot see it. :( Of course, I also don't know where to look. :roll: A little direction, please?

@Kadrok, is there anything I could do to help bring "The Train to True Madil" to completion? For example, do you need additional Mooks or Archvillains? Something else? Or would you rather just do it yourself? (this is your brainchild, after all)

If there's enough Mooks, you could have an "odd" and an "even" group, and then make a preliminary one-die roll for each car that would determine which group of Mooks the regular spawning roll will select from. Like so-
Result is 1, 3, or 5: Roll for Mooks from the "odd" group.
Result is 2, 4, or 6: Roll for Mooks from the "even" group.

And, obviously, if you have even more Mooks, you could have more groups. It would make each encounter less predictable for the players, which, IMO, would be a good thing. ...But it would also be a lot of work.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:27 pm

The four things that have slowed me down are:

1. Finishing off the remaining mooks - I've got the concepts and their position on the rolls, I just need to write it all out.

2. BALANCING the encounters: at the moment I perceive crews dying instantly to the Steelrunner Swordsmen. And I'm not too keen on how many of them spawn. Which means I'll have to shuffle them somewhere else and shuffle something else somewhere.
It may be worth running the module as is and seeking feedback.

3. I have ridiculously bad depression which is ruining my life. Life has thrown me a whole lot of curveballs over the past year and that has messed me up pretty badly.

4. I'm trying (and failing) to complete my PhD.

I envisioned this as a place for us to make ridiculously broken characters and smash them against other ridiculously broken characters so we can get it out of our system. Having a place to push the rules to the limits might make it easier to make less broken, and more narratively interesting characters in our regular games.
I actually originally envisioned this as taking place on Roshar. You'd invade a castle on a cliffside full of guards and shardbearers and attempt to steal something like the Diagram. But then I hit on the Train setting and the awesome opportunities a Train fight affords.
Designing the encounters for this has been pretty fun, not going to lie 3:D
Zath

Post by Zath » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:05 pm

Kadrok wrote:It may be worth running the module as is and seeking feedback.
After the site is updated, I'd be willing to Narrate a test-run. :)
Kadrok wrote:I have ridiculously bad depression which is ruining my life. Life has thrown me a whole lot of curveballs over the past year and that has messed me up pretty badly.
Dang, I'm sorry. :( That's rough.
For what it's worth, I've also been diagnosed with depression (though it's not as serious as yours, I'm fairly certain), and on really bad days, I've found that thinking of this quote brings me some hope:
"One's capacity for pain is the least measure of one's capacity for joy"

I've altered it a little bit from the original quote to reflect my personal religious beliefs, but the take-away is the same: life can really suck sometimes, and sometimes for long stretches of time, but it won't be that way forever, and when I make it through the bad stuff, the good stuff will be that much sweeter.

The original quote is from an article by Dr. Frank Crane from about 100 years ago. (Here's a link to a republished version of it in Reader's Digest. I'm not sure if I 100% agree with everything in there, but it's an interesting read)
Kadrok wrote:I envisioned this as a place for us to make ridiculously broken characters and smash them against other ridiculously broken characters so we can get it out of our system. Having a place to push the rules to the limits might make it easier to make less broken, and more narratively interesting characters in our regular games.

:o That totally makes sense. I hadn't even considered that aspect of it.
Kadrok wrote:But then I hit on the Train setting and the awesome opportunities a Train fight affords.
Yes. Very much yes. I think this is why all of us at Ruin Raisers were like,
"Train heist? Yes. Train heist. Discussion's over."
:lol:

Return to “Testing Center”