Impossible Odds: Match 1

Try your luck at the Tavern of doom, or try out something else.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Impossible Odds: Match 1

Post by Claincy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:25 am

Use influence to create enough of a disturbance or something that he goes to see it personally?

The entertaining thing here is that with the current 4 players, and TLR's current set up, winning is actually entirely possible.

I mean currently Vorun will be able to take as much damage as he can anyway.
Robert has an army. (my character is a hulk :P)
And Jastes is crazy steel/iron.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:29 am

Nah, just throw in a basic "Compounding means instantly filling up your metalmind for 1 charge of the appropriate metal" rule and he's invincible again. Five charges of gold, remember.

Although, maybe we should double-up on his metalminds? He is filthy-rich, and displayed them quite openly.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:45 am

I think you underestimate the power of the Lord Ruler using Atium nudge to always have two actions per beat... my lead in for the Lord Ruler would be Atium nudging up to 3 (Reducing Atium to 4) and rolling for at least 10 with Steel, setting aside half the dice for subsequent actions.

[10(Steel Rating)/2(Halved)=5+4(Remaining Atium)+1(Centuries of Experience)].

I'd tap weight and push against the armour of all those guards, sending them flying.

Then I'd take my next action that same beat, again having at least 10 dice... though given the three auto-nudges apply again (and for every action this beat), I'd probably divide the 5 I set aside among some more actions, counting on the +4 dice from Atium to bolster those actions... unless the +4 is only applied at the beginning; need a ruling on that... it says EACH action, so I'm reading it as each action Rashek does in the beat he gets a fresh +4 Dice, just like he gets a fresh +3 Nudges. That being the case, you could get quite a few actions off per beat. Rashek is going to be tough to beat (See what I did there?).

So first action... Atium Nudge 3 times. 10(Steel)+1(at least, for Traits). Set aside 5, make a pool with 6, adding 4 from Atium = 10 Dice, 3 Nudges.
CATCH A BEAT!
5 Dice remain. Do another action using 2 dice (3 Remain) -> +4 Dice from Atium, +3 Nudges from Atium
CATCH A BEAT!
3 Dice Remain. Do another action using 2 dice (1 Remains) -> +4 Dice from Atium, +3 Nudges from Atium
CATCH A BEAT!
1 Dice Remains. Do second last action using 1 dice +4 Dice from Atium, +3 Nudges from Atium
CATCH A BEAT!
No dice remain. Use this beat to taunt your foes, if any survive.

BEAT 2 BEGINS

EDITED FOR CLARITY
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:48 am

Yeah 100 charges of each feruchemy power wouldn't really fit. He should have well, effectively infinite for this :P. But hey, why not go with that, the 5 charges of each metal he has was all invested already :P And then (for the time being that burning a fully invested 1 allomantic charge of a metal grants you your feruchemic rating * 10)

Don't get me wrong Kadrok, he is very tough, but do note that my character would have a solid 10 dice against each of those actions. If he chose so, Vorun's character could have 100's of charges of health. What I was saying is, there could be a possibility of victory :P Anyway, I really need to have another read over atium rules and catching a beat.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:50 am

Oh Kadrok, you've forgotten all the dice you get from fSteel and fPewter. There won't be a second round. :twisted:

Also, I made the beat joke first, and it was in-character. 8-) ( :P )
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:26 am

:P After some revision of the rules I apologise. Kadrok was correct, except his version was a bit tame.
Here's mine:
TLR decides to do a melee attack against someone and flares pewter and taps 100 pewter. Giving him 121 action dice. He then precedes to atium nudge 3 times as per your example.

Then he makes 121 attacks with 5 dice before anyone else gets to act.

(If the narrator feels like allowing steel for that too then its 221 5 dice attacks)

Now obviously this would make for a kind of boring fight. So he wouldn't actually do that ingame.
Thing is though, beyond making sure he hits he has very little use for the extra dice as catching a beat will eat any nudges he rolls. The only reason that this even possibly wouldn't be the best course of action is thanks to complications.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:44 am

For the sake of fairness... Lord Ruler doesn't get Atium unless he takes it from a player. It makes sense (if you are 'unbeatable',why would you bother ingesting Atium...) we're attacking the LR at a time he doesn't expect... do we really think Rashek eats five uninvested beads a day just in case, when he has better plot uses for Atium?
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:47 am

Yeah, might go with that. Like I said, that would be a damn boring fight.

Though I do find it entertaining that you said "for the sake of fairness" :P
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:27 am

The reason no narrator will *ever* let one of their players be the lord ruler.

TLR: "Hmm, I want a change of scene."
Narrator: "Huh?"
TLR: "I'm going to pick up Kredik Shaw and throw it to the other side of Luthadel."
Narrator: "Haha, wait, seriously?...Ok...fine, difficulty 15."
TLR: "Cool, I burn pewter, increasing my dice pool to 20 for 10 automatic nudges, then I burn duralumin and increase my outcome by 5. Then I tap 100 charges of pewter to increase my outcome by 10."
Narrator: 0_o
TLR: "So now depending on my roll I have an outcome of 15-20 with 10+ nudges."
Narrator: *leaves*
TLR: "Wait! Can I use the nudges to make it land upside down and balance on the spires?"
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:27 am

"A Feruchemist may choose to tap anytime he or she takes an action or
makes a roll. Charges are tapped after an action is declared and pools are formed
(see Dice Pools, page 140), but before the dice are rolled. During a Conflict, a
Feruchemist taps charges during Step 2: Resolve Actions, after forming a pool
from his or her Action Dice (see page 179)."

You already have your dice supply when you begin to add Feruchemy dice. Therefore the Lord Ruler couldn't empty a Metalmind to have a massive splittable dice pool.

Return to “Testing Center”