Tavern of Doom: Zae Rew Run

Try your luck at the Tavern of doom, or try out something else.

Postby Justin Case » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:09 pm

You enter the tavern to your left you can see a group of men dicing in the corner near the fireplace. There is a table full of thugs that eye you. They seem to measure your fighting ability and then pay it no mind. A fiddler plays a mournful tune as he wanders around the room.
On the left you see a set of stairs leading to the second floor. Under the staircase you see a door open and glimps a private dining room where a noble is enjoying a meal with a few trusted bodyguards. The bartender stands behind a long counter on the far left wall. He looks up as the door closes behind you.
"What can I do for you?" he says
Justin Case
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Postby tecslicer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:37 pm

Zae glimpses his target in the private room. No he reminds himself. Not his target, his mark. There is only one "Target" in his world. This poor noble is just a step in that target's direction.

"I'll have a pint of your best, and a quiet corner to meet a friend in." Says Zae, in his smoothly melodious tones.

I hope Gill doesn't keep me waiting too long. Zae thinks. This place is a real dive... Dice? What kind of man plays with dice?

"And if you have a deck of shelldry cards to borrow...?
tecslicer
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:20 am

Postby Justin Case » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:20 am

The barman reached under the counter and pulled out a deck. He then placed it on the counter but didn't remove his hand. Instead he held out his other hand, "There will be a small fee I will be holding as a retainer. I'd be a fool to have to pay for damages when a fight breaks out. The game isn't worth what I go through around here. The dice players are bad enough but you card people. Always, starting something." He finished that last statement by glaring at Zae. It was if he personally blamed him for all the previous losses he had suffered do to games that ended poorly.
Justin Case
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Postby tecslicer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:11 am

Zea chuckles amicably, and comments "If I have to make a fist to win a hand, I have already lost the game, but I see your point of view. I don't have much money with me at the moment, and I'd rather spend it on drinks. Will you take my dagger for this retainer? It is worth a bit, and worth plenty to me."
It may have the last remaining family crest on it. Zae thinks.

Out of Character. Click to reveal.
A charm roll to disarm the barman's wits?
4+ "Reserved" + "Grifter"?
tecslicer rolled 6d6:
6, 3, 3, 5, 5, 6
tecslicer
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:20 am

Postby Justin Case » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:49 am

Out of Character. Click to reveal.
I think you have this roll beat best i can hope for is a tie.
Justin Case rolled 4d6:
5, 1, 6, 6
You got it.


After a moment of thought the barkeep responded, "Keep the dagger and take the cards. Most trouble makers complain and refuse to pay the retainer. An honest man wouldn't complain and you didn't. Here. This drink is on me." The barkeep poured him a glass. "You can use that table over there." He gestured towards the corner opposite the door under the stairs. It would give Zae a good view of whoever came and went from that room.
Justin Case
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Postby tecslicer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:11 am

Zae thanks the barman, and picks up the deck, and mug. Walking over to the table he scans the room. Nothing jumps out at him as odd, so he settles into the bench with his back to the wall and begins waiting for his supplier. As he waits he deals out a row of cards 4 cards wide. each pile has three cards face down and one card face up. He then deals out a column of cards with three cards face down underneath three face up cards.

It is a game his mother taught him so long ago. It takes true skill, and cunning, yet it is the easiest way for Zea to mark the cards as he is playing the game. The knife flicks out from his sleeve as he flips over cards.

Out of Character. Click to reveal.
I'm thinking my supplier will be a contact that can get me interesting chemicals. Poisons, sedatives, and I'm hoping for a powerful caffeine/Diuretic like concentrated coffee.
tecslicer
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:20 am

Postby Justin Case » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:08 am

Zae wasn't playing long when a gentleman from the dice crew got up and made his way to his table.

"My luck seems to have run out over there. Mind if I try my luck with you?"

The gentleman was tall and lanky. He had what five o'clock shadow despite it not being five o'clock. He looked a tired and haggared. He had the kind of look that said, "I'm tired and should probably be in bed but I don't want to."
Justin Case
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Postby tecslicer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:05 am

Zea smiles at the man, but shakes his head. "Sorry friend, I'm waiting for a business contact to arrive, and I'd hate to stop a game mid-way through. Perhaps after he leaves we can have a hand or two?" he ends his question on a hopeful note and thinks. Every time! Why did I have to be cursed with such an inviting face?
tecslicer
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:20 am

Postby Justin Case » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:55 am

The man took a moment to respond, looking Zae over. Finally, with a thought full grunt he dismissed himself saying, "Probably, should take that as a sign I should call it a day. Perhaps, Another time." He saluted slightly and made his way to the door, settling his bill with the barkeep before leaving.

Zae sat and played for awhile. People came and went. Some ordered drinks, some order food. Others seemed to just step in and see who was in. No one that came through caught Zae's eyes and no one tried to get his attention or join him. He had played a couple of solo hands before he remembered his mark in the next room. He had been here longer than he had. Zae hadn't noticed another door out of that room. And no one had entered or left it since he got here. Zae had been sitting there for quiet awhile. Plenty of time for a noble man to finish a meal and be on his way. Unless, he to was waiting for someone.

As Zae began shuffling, intending to play another round, a man entered the tavern. He didn't just enter the tavern, he Arrived. He was dressed well. His clothes appeard to be that of the merchant class, except, that the material was newer and had yet to sustain a heavy amount of abuse from ash falls. When he had Arrived he had paused to survey the room. His eyes lighted on Zae and they shared a moment. Each appearently gazing the others intentions and builds. The gentleman broke the contest by approaching the barkeep and striking up a conversation. The whole time he kept his body turned towards Zae. Never exposing his back.

Their conversation over the gentleman turned once more to give Zae a knowing look. He then headed into the private dinning room. Zae could hear an exclamation before the door closed. "Finally!"
Justin Case
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Postby Justin Case » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:55 am

Out of Character. Click to reveal.
This is harder than I thought. But I think things just got interesting.
Justin Case
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Next

Return to Testing Center


  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest