TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Survive and thrive
Profession: Bounty Hunter
Specialty: Out of the box thinking
Feature: Well-read
Personality: Restless
PowersPowersPowersFERUCHEMY
Zinc 5

GUNSMITHING
Create Guns: Sate can make guns from raw materials, allowing him to create any standard, commonly used firearm. Additionally, he gains 1 free Prop, which must be a gun chosen from the Firearms table on pages 115-116.

Re: The Crew

Post by Kadrok » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:32 pm

"Sate's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is, and I'm going to prove it." Could be for anyone if they want. As a 5-rating Zinc Ferring with 6 Wits and the trait 'Well-read' Sate is about as intelligent as someone can be... so if someone wants to build a bond of percieved condescension, they're welcome to.
Bill Whitmore

Name (CSS): Cale

Attributes (CSS): :
Phy: 4 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 8/8
Cha: 4 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 6/6
Wit: 3 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 6/6
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Build up his reputation
Profession: Bounty hunter
Specialty: Survivalist
Feature: Gallows humor
Personality: Confident
PowersPowersPowersALLOMANCY
Pewter 4
Denser Tissues: While burning Pewter, Cale's flesh becomes tougher and denser, and he suffers 1 less damage from physical attacks.

FERUCHEMY
Gold 4

Post by Bill Whitmore » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:12 am

Cale is a brawler, the kind of guy who would beat the snot out of people NOT because he's a good fighter, but because he can overwhelm people with sheer strength (aPewter) and endurance (fGold).

As a bond idea, since Durand is a more technical fighter, he may think Cale uses his powers as a crutch in a fist fight and want to teach him the proper technique. This particularly works because he is a Leecher who realizes that it is entirely possible he'll see his powers missing in a fight some day.

Also, Western Kung Fu, anyone?

I tried to tie myself into other character backgrounds when thinking about bonds. The two I have currently are below, though I have no problem using the alternate ones if we want to try starting with everyone being the target of 2 bonds, too.
  • I'm worried about how Durand would react if he found out that his father was one of the first bounties I ever brought it.
  • I have heard of the bounty on Devin and worry about his ability to protect himself.
Alternatively for the other two characters:
  • I'm worried that Sigurd may be more concerned with his own fame than the well-being of his friends.
  • Sate has stood by me in battle and can be trusted completely.

Somehow, I ended up worrying a lot. Oh well.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Name (CSS): Durand

Phy: 5 -- Res: 3/3 -- Hea: 8/8
Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6
Wit: 5 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 8/8
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Indomitable Spirit
Profession: Exhibition fighter
Specialty: Martial Artist
Feature: Aversion to metal
Personality: Quick with a one-liner
Chromium 5
Defensive Leeching (Reaction): Once per Beat, when an Allomancer hits or otherwise makes direct physical contact with Cale, he may immediately burn Chromium, depleting the opponent’s stored charges at the moment of contact. If the Allomancer’s action involves a roll, this is a Contest; make a Chromium roll and if your Result beats that of your opponent, all charges he or she has stored (of all metals) are immediately wiped out. If the Allomancer’s action involves no roll, you must instead make a Difficulty 1 Chromium roll to wipe out his or her stored charges.

Post by Herowannabe » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:22 am

Bill Whitmore wrote:I'm worried about how Durand would react if he found out that his father was one of the first bounties I ever brought it.
I approve of this. :)

As far as the Durand-as-a-teacher bond, it doesn't really fit how I see him. For one, Durand is pretty young, and I think I may make him even younger (19-21ish). Also, he's not really the altruistic, companionable type.

A little more about Durand's background to give people ideas:
  • at a young age, probably 5-10, Durand's dad, who was a savant Allomancer, went crazy and murdered Durand's mom.
  • Because Durand frequently saw his dad consuming metal (as a savant), he attributed this to his father's madness and developed a paranoid aversion to metals.
  • Several years later, Durand was found by his Terris mentor, who took him under his wing and trained him to use his powers (including getting Durand to view chromium, at least, as a safe metal), and taught him martial arts.
  • In Durand's mid-teens his mentor was visited by a group of other Terrispeople, left with them, and never came back.
  • Durand drifted, and got involved in underground fighting for money- the kind that allows Allomancer's and feruchemists to fight, and frequently end in serious injuries or worse- very illegal.
  • One day, not too long ago, the fighting ring was busted by the conners and Durand, along with many others, was arrested and imprisoned.
  • Bretton- who led the raid on the fighting ring- recognized Durand's wasted potential, and offered him a deal, which is how Durand ended up as part of this crew.
A couple possible bond's that pop to my mind are:
  • Durand suspects that X may know what happened to his mentor
  • X knows who ratted out my fighting ring, but won't tell me (or flipped around: X ratted out Durand's fighting ring, but Durand doesn't know)
Fenrirman
Narrator
Narrator

Name (CSS): Narrator

Post by Fenrirman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi guys, I had a really good weekend, so I was not able to read everything until now.

I'm glad you all liked the bonds idea, please write them down on your character sheets once they're settled (everyone gets to pick two bonds, @Grayv). Also, did I mention that a resolved bonds yields experience to both characters?

About the feruchemical charges, ratingx30 is ideal. I want you guys to be able to go all-out on this one.

When you're all done with the bonds and inter crew relations, we're good to move on. The prologue involves Brettin getting the five of you together for the first time to explain the job and what's at stake.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Name (CSS): Sigurd

Phy: 5 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 9/9
Cha: 3 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 5/5
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Make a name for myself
Profession: Mercenary
Specialty: Close range combat
Feature: Twitchy
Personality: Brash
Electrum 4
Instinctive Burning: Sigurd instinctively starts burning Electrum in response to threats, gaining Defense Dice from Electrum whenever he’s attacked — even when he isn't aware of the impending attack (e.g. when he’s ambushed or attacked in his sleep). This grants no extra benefit if he’s attacked while already burning Electrum.

FERUCHEMY
Steel 4

Post by Kurkistan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:21 pm

Okay, so settling in on some Bonds.

Sigurd->Sate: How about "Sate's like a kid brother: just clever enough to be dangerous"?

Sigurd->Durand: "Durand bested me in a fight, and I've been dying for a chance to one-up him..."?
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Name (CSS): Sate

Wit: 6 -- Spi: 2/2 -- Wil: 8/8
Zinc 5

GUNSMITHING
Create Guns: Sate can make guns from raw materials, allowing him to create any standard, commonly used firearm. Additionally, he gains 1 free Prop, which must be a gun chosen from the Firearms table on pages 115-116.

Post by Kadrok » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:25 pm

Kurkistan wrote:Sigurd->Sate: How about "Sate's like a kid brother: just clever enough to be dangerous"?
I love it, but Sate is 29 and Sig is 26. I don't really want to change the age since I have enough characters in their mid-20s. The easiest solution is that Sate never told Sig how old he is, and because of Sate's cushy Basin upbringing, he has a youthful look to him. That way, Sig thinks Sate is like 24-5. I'm happy with that if you are.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Name (CSS): Sigurd

Phy: 5 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 9/9
Cha: 3 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 5/5
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Make a name for myself
Profession: Mercenary
Specialty: Close range combat
Feature: Twitchy
Personality: Brash
Electrum 4
Instinctive Burning: Sigurd instinctively starts burning Electrum in response to threats, gaining Defense Dice from Electrum whenever he’s attacked — even when he isn't aware of the impending attack (e.g. when he’s ambushed or attacked in his sleep). This grants no extra benefit if he’s attacked while already burning Electrum.

FERUCHEMY
Steel 4

Post by Kurkistan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:33 pm

Oops, all of them there "details" and "facts" getting in my way again...

*checks* Wait, Sig's 26? Not anymore!!!! *changes age to 21*

I do prefer that Sig stay youthful (gives me an excuse to break out of the "surly stoic" niche I seem to be filling to capacity), so what if we change it to be less seniority-looking? "Sate's seems harmless enough, but he's still just clever enough to be dangerous—to everyone."
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Zinc 5

GUNSMITHING

Post by Kadrok » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:11 pm

How about, (I'm setting up tracks so I can sub in new bonds)

Sate=>Sigurd
1. "I owe Sigurd my life for getting me through the early days of my time in the Roughs."
2. "I pity the deprivation Sigurd has endured."

Sate->Durand
1. "I find Durand's aversion to metal unsettling; isn't he an Allomancer?"
2. "It used to just be me and Sigurd, but lately he's been fobbing me off to hang with Durand..."

Sate->Cale
1. "Cale... there's something familiar about that name..." (Sate is from the basin and possibly heard about Cale's departure. Was it in the broadsheets Bill?)

Sate->Devin
1. "Isn't there a bounty out for a Steelrunner named Devin? I wonder what he did..."

EDIT: Darn... I just thought of some awesome aIron-fZinc narration. Patience Kadrok, patience. Let's build up to it.
Bill Whitmore

Name (CSS): Cale

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 6/6
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Build up his reputation
Profession: Bounty hunter
Specialty: Survivalist
Feature: Gallows humor
Personality: Confident
Pewter 4
Denser Tissues: While burning Pewter, Cale's flesh becomes tougher and denser, and he suffers 1 less damage from physical attacks.

FERUCHEMY
Gold 4

Post by Bill Whitmore » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:33 am

Kadrok wrote: 1. "Cale... there's something familiar about that name..." (Sate is from the basin and possibly heard about Cale's departure. Was it in the broadsheets Bill?)
That works for me.

Cale's wedding arrangements were unusual, so I am sure it would have drawn interest. The Bylerum family had managed to broker a financially and socially favorable deal to matrilineally marry a twinborn into a much more powerful house, which wanted the infusion of allomantic and ferchemical blood into their line. When Cale just disappeared it was probably quite the scandal.

The only problem is that would have been about 20 years ago, thought it's entirely possible, even likely, that the story has been occasionally revisited over the years.

One of the things that may also cause that familiarity is just his face. There are probably pictures of Cale from 20 years ago in print, though his appearance has changed considerably since then. While the smooth skin, clean shave and neat manicure are gone you may still swear you had seen him somewhere.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Zinc 5

GUNSMITHING

Post by Kadrok » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:45 am

Bill Whitmore wrote:The only problem is that would have been about 20 years ago...
*Checks Cale's character sheet* Oh cool! I was beginning to think Sate was the oldest one on the team. 39, huh? Most excellent!

Return to “General”