The Crew

Info about the Crew, its motives and methods, and its members
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

The Crew

Post by Herowannabe » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:59 pm

If you're anything like me (and apparently Strigo is), then you already have several character ideas floating around in your head. But hold your horses for a minute there! Before we create any characters, I'd like to (as the MAG suggests) settle on a crew.

So the crew needs:
1. A name
2. A Cause
3. A Target
4. A Method

I'll let you guys discuss what sort of crew you want to play and work out the details yourselves, but don't take too long. If no consensus is reached after a few days then I'll probably just assign them to you *at random.

Also, as you settle on what sort of crew you want to play, think about what sort of roles the crew needs to be successful, and then start thinking about which of those roles your character can fill. For example, if you're in a typical Skaa thieving crew, roles might include: Crew Leader (decision making), the Shelterer (runs the safehouse/front), the Provider (resources), the Muscle (combat), the Brains (wits), The Silver Tongue (Charm), Someone who Knows Someone (Influence), Moral/Spiritual compass (Spirit), the Infiltrator (breaking into places/things), the Thief (pick-pocket), the Mole (disguises), etc.

Obviously, not every single role needs to be filled, and most characters will fill more than one role, and often times roles will be filled by multiple characters. But still, be thinking about what sorts of members the crew needs before we actually start creating characters. It will help give some direction to your characters as well as create a more cohesive crew.

Alright? Good. Ready, go!

*(Note to self:
Crew Name: "The Ash Stains"
Cause: Cleanliness
Target: The Streets of Luthadel
Method: Sweeping)
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Character name: Kara

: Attr -- Stand -- Res: :
Phy: 4 -- Res: 3/3 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 7/7

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 8/8
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Protect my family
Profession: Thief
Specialty: Hard to read
Feature: Svelte
Personality: Inquisitive
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Iron 6
-Ironslide
-Iron-sight
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Formal clothing - Useful when blending in at high society events like Imperial gatherings and balls
(P) Misting vial - Contains 3 charges of Iron
(P) Lockpicks - Useful when picking locks
Misting vial - Contains 3 charges of Iron

Re: The Crew

Post by Kadrok » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:15 pm

Soooo... as I need to be quieter than the others for OOC reasons, perhaps it would be best if my character is relatively new to the crew, or joins up during the first chapter. What do you guys think?

I have some character ideas *cough* shotgun Lurcher *cough* floating around like Hero and Strigo, completely adaptable to whatever crew we actually go with.

SO LET'S CREW BRAINSTORM?

What are we in this for boys and girls? Money? Power? Security?

Do we run Cons? Burglary? Smuggling? Assassination?

OOOOOOH! Hero? Want to start a Poll and have the players vote on all this stuff?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Ooh, great idea! Lets see if I can figure out how to do this...

EDIT: Hmm... as far as I can tell we're limited to 10 options per poll, and 1 poll per thread, which makes it kind of clunky. Let's just discuss in thread for now.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Character name: Kara

Phy: 4 -- Res: 3/3 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 7/7

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 8/8
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Protect my family
Profession: Thief
Specialty: Hard to read
Feature: Svelte
Personality: Inquisitive
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Iron 6
-Ironslide
-Iron-sight
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Formal clothing - Useful when blending in at high society events like Imperial gatherings and balls
(P) Misting vial - Contains 3 charges of Iron
(P) Lockpicks - Useful when picking locks
Misting vial - Contains 3 charges of Iron

Post by Kadrok » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:40 pm

I can do it if you want. I think we'll have to have a separate thread for each entry...

So that would be one for Target, one for Method, one for Cause? (We can sort out name later).

What options do you want for each?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:41 pm

You ninja'd my edit. If you want to create separate threads with polls in each, go for it.
Strigo

Character name: Taharazad

Phy: 2 -- Res: 3/3 -- Hea: 5/5

Cha: 5 -- Inf: 4/4 -- Rep: 9/9

Wit: 6 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 10/10

AP: 2
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Bring Down the Steel Ministry
Profession: Steward
Specialty: Meticulous Planner
Feature: Flawless Diction
Personality: Warm, but Strict

Allomancy Scholar
Fastidious Forger
Terris Resistance Fighter

Stunts
I Mean No Harm!

Networks
Terris Resistance
PowersPowersPowersNone
InventoryInventoryInventoryAllomancy Vials (1 pewter, 1 iron) - P
Medical Supplies - P
Steward's Robe - P

Post by Strigo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:45 am

If you're anything like me (and apparently Strigo is)...
XD And MAG is one of the games I'm least familiar with. GURPS was the first one I ever picked up, and I have probably several hundred miscellaneous characters in that system... Edge of the Empire (Star Wars) is starting to go the same way :?

Well, context questions first: Based on the framing of the adventure, do we need to be a pre-established crew, or are options such as our crew being assembled for the task viable? (Or is this something that Hero would prefer one way?) There are some advantages to both, but in particular the latter allows for somewhat more contentious or diverse characters to be pressured into working together.

Causes: I'm good with most anything here. I have character ideas that would fit with any of money, power, security, as well as grander goals such as rebellion or uncovering major secrets. If we stay on the more morally neutral/ambiguous side, money/power/security can go together really well, and support a number of character concepts working together (e.g. character A is seeking power, character B is seeking to gain wealth as a result of A gaining power, while C is just hoping that if they can help A secure a position of power, they/their family will gain some margin of security), while also allowing for diverse individual goals/interests. I'm especially interested in hearing from the newest people on this one, though, as I'm almost certainly comfortable going with any preferences they have on this one.

Targets: Also good with anything here. I made a Skaa, a Terrisman, a Noble, and a Kandra already, so /someone/ would be good with targeting whoever we go after XD One particular question is if we have /a/ target (suiting a revenge Cause or similar), or a more amorphous target group.

Method: I'd shy away from straight up assassination by default, as it limits character options/concepts more than most methods options, but if everyone is down with it, at least three of the characters I've sketched out would be fine with it XD Cons or burglary are always safe bets, and smuggling would be an interesting twist on the shady-crime route (it would also have lots of sub-options: What are we smuggling? Drugs? Weapons? Metals? Books/knowledge? Are we just the transporters, or are we also distributing/dealing?).
Conquestor

Character name: Lorien

Phy: 3 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 2/2 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive - Discover the secrets of the Metallic arts
Profession - scholar
Specialty - Metalurgy
Feature - Battle scar on left arm
Personality - Sarcastic
PowersPowersPowersFeruchemy / 3 in all metals.
InventoryInventoryInventory3 MetalMinds average / staff.
1st MetalMind - Pewter 50/100 - Steel 50/100 - Iron 50/100
2nd MetalMind - Bronze 50/100 - Copper 50/100 - Zinc 50/100
3rd MultiMind - Gold 50/100 - Brass 50/100 - Tin(sight) 50/100
Aluminum Mind - 25/50
Nicrosil(Iron) Mind - 12/25
1 Atium bead

Post by Conquestor » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:51 am

I think we should make a crew out to become kings of the final empire. So, I think our cause should be -Get Power- Our target -People in power- and name -Renegades- What do you guys think?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:57 am

Well, context questions first: Based on the framing of the adventure, do we need to be a pre-established crew, or are options such as our crew being assembled for the task viable? (Or is this something that Hero would prefer one way?) There are some advantages to both, but in particular the latter allows for somewhat more contentious or diverse characters to be pressured into working together.
The mission is set up with an established crew in mind, so that's what I'd prefer. Plus, if/when this adventure is completed I'll probably want to carry on with the same crew and do another adventure (specifically, the adventure from the Skaa supplement).

That being said, we can certainly make a disparate/temporary crew work, or even (as Kadrok suggested) have 1 or two characters that are brought on for the job. However if we go that route we just need to be prepared to role play out good reasons why the crew might stick together after the adventure.
bobbyboone

Character name: Alvern Bertais

Phy: 3 -- Res: 5/5 -- Hea: 8/8

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 5/5 -- Rep: 9/9

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 8/8

AP: 1
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Bring down the lofty
Profession: Curiosity/Antique Shop Owner
Specialty: Numerous Noble Customers
Feature: Always has a joke
Personality: Inviting
Other Traits: Amateur Duelist, Fiction Lover

Network:
Yeden's Rebellion (Rules: Keep the rebellion’s location secret; secure additional provisions and supplies for the rebels; contribute to the training of skaa troops. Benefit: First nudge per beat dealing extra damage to a member of the steel ministry deals 2 instead of 1)
PowersPowersPowersNone
InventoryInventoryInventoryDueling Cane (+2 dmg, touch/striking)
Formal Clothing
Disguise
Antique/Curiosity Shop (Safe house)
Pocketwatch

Post by bobbyboone » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:31 am

Someone mentioned smuggling as a method, and for some reason I am in love with that idea. It's pretty unique, but offers a lot of flexibility. What are we smuggling? Why? Who benefits from our business and who gets the shaft? Lots of cool stuff to think about. Full disclosure: I have a character hashed out (because I'm just like the rest of you ;) ) that would fit great in a smuggling crew.

That said, I am certainly open to other ideas, haha. :)

As for the cause, I voted on the other thread, and I think we should take the winner (or perhaps top two if they are related) and maybe have everyone give a spin on it to find something unique.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:17 pm

For what it's worth, as the narrator I like the idea of a smuggling crew. It will create some interesting dynamics for this adventure (and for Beasts of Burden, if/when we get to that adventure).

Return to “The Crew”