The Crew

Info about the Crew, its motives and methods, and its members

Postby bobbyboone » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:20 am

Wow! Lot's of cool connections and things! So my character is the mistwin's foster uncle, and I have teamed up with both Taharazad and Lorien to create the Canton of Heterodoxy. I love it!

I think I'm going to go with not being a misting at all. Instead I'll take a point in influence and take Yeden's Rebellion as a network, if that is okay with Hero. I'm still going to say I'm noble, so I'll need your permission, but the justification that he is a smuggler and sympathetic to the skaa is good enough for me.

I really like the idea that I went through kind of the same program as the twins, but what if I was never told I was skaa at all? Like, what if I grew up thinking I was pure noble, and that I was taken care of by a steward. Then, when I met Taharazad and found out what he did with the twins, and how their situation reflected mine, I started to grow suspicious that I wasn't full blood noble. Taharazad wouldn't know, because we are close enough in age that he wouldn't have been around back then.

In that case, my tragedy would be "No longer knows what his true parentage is." Not super tragic in the classical sense, but it sure could be hard to get over.

In addition, I think I'll add disguise to my props, for when I do less than scrupulous work. :)
bobbyboone

Character name: Alvern Bertais

: Attr -- Stand -- Res: :
Phy: 3 -- Res: 5/5 -- Hea: 8/8

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 5/5 -- Rep: 9/9

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 8/8

AP: 1
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Bring down the lofty
Profession: Curiosity/Antique Shop Owner
Specialty: Numerous Noble Customers
Feature: Always has a joke
Personality: Inviting
Other Traits: Amateur Duelist, Fiction Lover

Network:
Yeden's Rebellion (Rules: Keep the rebellion’s location secret; secure additional provisions and supplies for the rebels; contribute to the training of skaa troops. Benefit: First nudge per beat dealing extra damage to a member of the steel ministry deals 2 instead of 1)
PowersPowersPowersNone
InventoryInventoryInventoryDueling Cane (+2 dmg, touch/striking)
Formal Clothing
Disguise
Antique/Curiosity Shop (Safe house)
Pocketwatch

Postby Herowannabe » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:41 am

@Boome: all of that is fine with me. I'm not too particular about the network/stunt racial restrictions, as long as you have the backstory to justify it.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Conquestor » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:45 pm

I want to change my Hemalurgy secret to the network with the Synod, also, do I get connections with the rebellion too or do I have to pay another 4 AP? I really like the idea of being one of the founders of the crew! :D
Conquestor

Character name: Lorien

Phy: 3 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 2/2 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive - Discover the secrets of the Metallic arts
Profession - scholar
Specialty - Metalurgy
Feature - Battle scar on left arm
Personality - Sarcastic
PowersPowersPowersFeruchemy / 3 in all metals.
InventoryInventoryInventory3 MetalMinds average / staff.
1st MetalMind - Pewter 50/100 - Steel 50/100 - Iron 50/100
2nd MetalMind - Bronze 50/100 - Copper 50/100 - Zinc 50/100
3rd MultiMind - Gold 50/100 - Brass 50/100 - Tin(sight) 50/100
Aluminum Mind - 25/50
Nicrosil(Iron) Mind - 12/25
1 Atium bead

Postby bobbyboone » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:33 pm

Here's some questions for Conquestor and Strigo:

So, Taharazad is a Terris Steward, or at least that's his cover. Is he Alvern's (I'm fairly certain this will be my character's name) steward, or is he the steward of a more central Elarial noble?

I ask because I was wondering what Lorien's cover is. Is he posing as a Terris Steward as well, or does he lay low? If Tahar is not Alvern's steward (which is my assumption), Lorien could pose as his steward (though Alvern and Lorien would both know it is only in appearance). It would definitely be stretching it to give my character two Terris Stewards.

I hope my questions make sense, haha. I've been writing up a little backstory for my character and his exact relationship (meaning their current cover stories as to why they hang out together) to you two has not been established.
bobbyboone

Network:
Yeden's Rebellion (Rules: Keep the rebellion’s location secret; secure additional provisions and supplies for the rebels; contribute to the training of skaa troops. Benefit: First nudge per beat dealing extra damage to a member of the steel ministry deals 2 instead of 1)
PowersPowersPowersNone
Formal Clothing
Disguise
Pocketwatch

Postby bobbyboone » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:48 pm

Okay, I made a few assumptions and finished the backstory, and I was totally going to wait until we had character sheet topics, but I really like how this turned out, so I'm going to reveal it now, haha.

The OOC is the rest of my character sheet, btw.

Name: Alvern Bertais

Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Concept: Noble Shop Owner

Crew
Name: Canton of Heterodoxy
Cause: Gather/Spread Information
Target: Steel Ministry
Method: Smuggling/Theft

Race: Noble
Sex: Male
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 200

Attributes Standings Resiliences
Physique: 3 Resources: 5/5 Health: 8/8
Charm: 4 Influence: 5/5 Reputation: 9/9
Wits: 4 Spirit: 4/4 Willpower: 8/8

Traits
Drive: Bring down the lofty

Burdens: None

Tragedy: No longer knows what his true parentage is

Destiny: Bring equality for the Skaa

Secrets known: None

Powers: None

Equipment:
Dueling Cane (+2 dmg, touch/striking), Formal Clothing, Banned Book, Disguise

Network:

Advancements: 1

Backstory: To noble society, Alvern Bertais, a second cousin to the main house Elariel, is the somewhat eccentric owner of Alvern's Emporium. The shop specializes in antiques and oddities, giving him unique access to some very interesting objects. But behind the scenes is a man with a vision of equality and peace. Alvern is one of the founding members of the clandestine smuggling operation Canton of Heterodoxy.

While the Canton is certainly not a large organization, it has grown in the decade and a half of its existence. Begun as a way to educate and help Skaa, it has grown to include trading and bartering information and secrets in both Noble and Skaa circles, seeking to undermine the hold the Steel Ministry has on the populace.

The beginning of the Canton due in part to the friendship Alvern had with Taharazad, a Terris steward of house Elariel. Through Alvern's sympathy with Skaa and Tahar's hatred of the Steel Ministry, the two grew to respect each other greatly. Tahar introduced him to a Keeper of Terris, Lorien, and together the three began their grand work.

Soon after their friendship and the Canton began, Tahar brought twins to Alvern, explaining they were half noble/half Skaa born to a servant that died in child birth. A cover story was arranged, and Alvern raised them as an uncle, completely inventing a sister he never had.

While adopting the twins Keira and Madrok, however, Alvern was reminded of his own childhood, being raised mostly by a Terris steward before being given to a distant family member. The similarities didn't stop there, and doubt of his noble heritage has since kept him up many nights.
bobbyboone

Network:
PowersPowersPowersNone
Formal Clothing
Disguise
Pocketwatch

Postby Herowannabe » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:51 pm

Conquestor wrote:I want to change my Hemalurgy secret to the network with the Synod, also, do I get connections with the rebellion too or do I have to pay another 4 AP? I really like the idea of being one of the founders of the crew! :D

The rules for Networks are such that you are only allowed 1 at a time, unfortunately. Plus the Synod and the Terris Rebellion are at odds with each other, so joining one would preclude joining the other.

Also, quick side note, those of you with Terris characters don't HAVE to pose as Stewards to get around. Their are other, more mundane Terris workers and servants in the city, too.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Strigo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:28 pm

Hey guys, I pulled my head out of my butt and came up with intelligent formatting for today's mini-monolith. Sorted by who they're directly talking to, though it's worth reading them all anyway.

Kadrok
Kadrok wrote:[Uncle and such] So this is opening up to us have far better skills than mere servants who've learned a bit of Allomancy from you.

Yeah, pretty much.

Kadrok wrote:[Identical Stats] Well we are Twins!

That... is a very good point XD

Herowannabe & Conquestor
Herowannabe wrote:Oh I meant to mention this, but forgot. Any character who wishes to utilize a secret metal (for either Feruchemical or Allomantic purposes) must use their own AP to purchase the secret.

Yeah, I was guessing as much. Makes sense.

Herowannabe wrote:Ah yes, I forgot to ask you guys with Terris Characters about this when you go to fill out your backstories. What is your relationship like with the Synod? What about the Terris Resistance?

Conquestor wrote:I want to change my Hemalurgy secret to the network with the Synod, also, do I get connections with the rebellion too or do I have to pay another 4 AP?

I don't know what Hero's take on this is, but per RAW, the Synod would kind of hate our guts. I mean, we're literally the antithesis of their approach to things - the Synod Network's rules require that you never share secrets with non-Terris, and never take action against the Steel Ministry, which is... literally everything we're planning to do XD

As for Taharazad, I'm likely to get him the Terris Resistance Network, but regardless, I figure he's probably on pretty good terms with them. Synod... not so much. He wouldn't like their non-interventionism, and they wouldn't like his constant meddling.

Herowannabe wrote:tie-ins for Lorien. Maybe he and Taharazad are related? Good friends? Maybe Lorien helped found the Canton of Heterodoxy (likely for Keeper-y reasons)? Maybe Lorien also helped shelter/raise the Mistlets (and I do love the term "Mistlets" the best. Unless Kadrok and Clainch decide for them to be older. Then maybe not so much)? Something else?

Conquestor wrote:I really like the idea of being one of the founders of the crew! :D

Family connections depend on how old Lorien is, so that's up to Conquestor at the moment. I'm not clear on what Lorien's background is (did he go through the university at Tathingdwen? Where has he been while doing his secret-hunting?), so it's difficult to nail in too much there. Working him in as one of the founding members of the CoH would work, and it would make sense for Tahar to pull him into that when he and Alvern started going down that route (as Keeper abilities, Copper in particular, would be quite helpful with their mission). Since Lorien's main goal is to discover metals/find one that will help the Terris, it'd be helpful to know what his main motivation is for working with the CoH. Is it a means to find information about new metals as we go secret-hunting? Is he aiming to reveal as much as possible about secret metals to try and destabilize the Steel Ministry?

Claincy (and a bit of Kadrok and Hero)
Claincy wrote:"Uncle Tah" :) (and Uncle Boone's char)

Claincy wrote:Edit: Btw, any hesitancy or uncertainty I had about playing Keira is gone now :D

Yesss!

Claincy wrote:[Age snapped] I've been figuring Keira snapped pretty young, though maybe a bit later than childbirth as snapping is such great potential for character building/backstory. I haven't decided exactly how she snapped but she was probably 8-10 at the time. That doesn't mean Kad's character can't have snapped back then, if one twin snapped earlier than the other that could actually make for a more interesting history between them.

Up to you guys to work out who snapped when and how, but Tahar would probably bring both of them when one snapped, so it shouldn't shake that up too much.

Claincy wrote:[House] A powerful house like Elariel does sound the most interesting :D

Shiny. You on board with this Hero?

Boone (and a smidgen of Hero, as usual XD)
bobbyboone wrote:I really like the idea that I went through kind of the same program as the twins, but what if I was never told I was skaa at all? Like, what if I grew up thinking I was pure noble, and that I was taken care of by a steward. Then, when I met Taharazad and found out what he did with the twins, and how their situation reflected mine, I started to grow suspicious that I wasn't full blood noble. Taharazad wouldn't know, because we are close enough in age that he wouldn't have been around back then.

I like this a lot. Adds some mystery and self-doubts for the character, and makes the interactions more interesting. Taharazad definitely wouldn't have been around when Alvern was "adopted," but he'd have likely showed up in Luthadel while Alvern was still very young. It's very plausible that Tahar knew the steward who raised Alvern (gonna need a name for them at some point), and met him that way. It's also possible that Tahar was a substantial presence in his life when he was young (especially if we want to say that this steward was Tahar's predecessor in House Elariel). Though if you want to maintain the mystery about his background (since that route would definitely let Tahar know he was raised by a steward, and potentially give him the answer to that mystery - though he might not share it), it's also easy to say that Tahar and the other steward never had significant contact, and we can come up with a way for Tahar and Alvern to meet sometime between 18 and 25 (since that's about when the CoH would be started per backstory. Mistlets could have been brought into the picture a few years later, so that needn't conflict). Up to you!

bobbyboone wrote:Begun as a way to educate and help Skaa, it has grown to include trading and bartering information and secrets in both Noble and Skaa circles, seeking to undermine the hold the Steel Ministry has on the populace.

Information smuggling was probably a central aspect early on, since this is the easiest way for them to benefit both the Skaa and the Terris. Most of the development was probably an increasing amount of aggression in how far they'll go to get information, who they'll deal with, and what they'll do directly to the Steel Ministry.

bobbyboone wrote:Soon after their friendship and the Canton began, Tahar brought twins to Alvern, explaining they were half noble/half Skaa born to a servant that died in child birth. A cover story was arranged, and Alvern raised them as an uncle, completely inventing a sister he never had.

This is raises another question for the Mistlet duo: How much time did they spend in Keep Elariel as pages (Noble servants, essentially) under Tahar's direct and constant-ish supervision, and how much time did they spend learning to 'play noble' and otherwise maintaining that cover with Alvern?

bobbyboone wrote:So, Taharazad is a Terris Steward, or at least that's his cover. Is he Alvern's (I'm fairly certain this will be my character's name) steward, or is he the steward of a more central Elarial noble

If Hero's good with it, I'm thinking Taharazad was a pretty central Steward for Elariel, and potentially the "head steward" if there is such a thing. Regardless, I think that'll have to be in the past tense, since the crew needs more mobility than that kind of connection allows. Most likely, Tahar semi-retired as he started getting old (I don't know what life expectancies are in the Final Empire, but I'm guessing that they aren't good at all given the low tech level and constant ash inhalation - 53 or so is probably getting up there), and transferred to a less active and intense position. This could be as a steward/accountant/etc. for Alvern, since it's tactically convenient and also makes sense externally (since he's switching to the service of an Elariel relative he already knew).

To some degree, this depends on what Conquestor wants to do with Lorien. Setting him up as Alvern's nominal steward would give him good cover, while requiring only a fraction of the effort to maintain the appearance of being a trained steward, so that would make a lot of sense (it also does tie him in more closely to the current situation). If he goes that route, one option would be for Taharazad to have taken up an accounting/stewarding position in the Steel Ministry itself, as that gives him very natural access to loads of paperwork, potential secrets, etc. Strategically excellent positioning, if risky (also does raise some mobility questions as well). Honestly, keeping Taharazad as the present head steward for Elariel could also work, depending on how Hero interprets the freedom allowed to stewards. Would taking a jaunt off to the Terris Dominion be out of the question? Or is accompanying an Elariel relative and his nieces potentially justification enough? (Tour guide!)
Strigo

Character name: Taharazad

Phy: 2 -- Res: 3/3 -- Hea: 5/5

Cha: 5 -- Inf: 4/4 -- Rep: 9/9

Wit: 6 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 10/10

AP: 2
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Bring Down the Steel Ministry
Profession: Steward
Specialty: Meticulous Planner
Feature: Flawless Diction
Personality: Warm, but Strict

Allomancy Scholar
Fastidious Forger
Terris Resistance Fighter

Stunts
I Mean No Harm!

Networks
Terris Resistance
PowersPowersPowersNone
InventoryInventoryInventoryAllomancy Vials (1 pewter, 1 iron) - P
Medical Supplies - P
Steward's Robe - P

Postby Conquestor » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:50 pm

Yes, I know that the Synod doesn't usually target the steel ministry directly (or at all), but maybe I'm in the part of the Synod that has decided to act against our enemies. Yes, Lorien is in CoH because he is trying to find a metal and is hoping this crew will help him find it.

Lorien was young when the Synod found him, so, he able to grow up knowing about his abilities and find his legendary metal. He was deemed the Metalurgist Keeper and is also trying to discover why the Inquisitors have spikes. This is the other reason he joined the crew and has spent a lot of time on both. He was losing hope after five years without a single new metal, but after so much time, he finally discovered a new metal. He named it Nicrosil, he kept this metal to himself and after another year he discovered aluminum, thanks to the Steel Ministry.

Lorien is 27 years old.
Conquestor

Character name: Lorien

Phy: 3 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 2/2 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive - Discover the secrets of the Metallic arts
Profession - scholar
Specialty - Metalurgy
Feature - Battle scar on left arm
Personality - Sarcastic
PowersPowersPowersFeruchemy / 3 in all metals.
InventoryInventoryInventory3 MetalMinds average / staff.
1st MetalMind - Pewter 50/100 - Steel 50/100 - Iron 50/100
2nd MetalMind - Bronze 50/100 - Copper 50/100 - Zinc 50/100
3rd MultiMind - Gold 50/100 - Brass 50/100 - Tin(sight) 50/100
Aluminum Mind - 25/50
Nicrosil(Iron) Mind - 12/25
1 Atium bead

Postby bobbyboone » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:09 pm

I'm curious if there is a specific reason that you want to have the Synod as your network rather than the Terris resistance. As Strigo says, the Canton of Heterodoxy's target and motives directly contradict the Network description for the Synod in the Wrought of Copper. The CoH deal in information and spread secrets, while the Synod has the rule "Never share Terris secrets with non-Terris." The CoH seeks to undermine the Steel Ministry in a direct way, but the Synod has another rule, "Never willingly take action which directly and openly opposes the Steel Ministry, the imperial army, or other agents of the Lord Ruler." That's why I think Strigo suggested against having the Synod be your network, and I agree, unless you want to roleplay the conflict inherent of being connected with both networks. :shock: :)

Plus the Terris Resistance network has a way better benefit anyway, imho. ;)

However, I really like your character, the motivations, and how he wants to discover new metals to help his people. In fact, I think your choice of networks is the only thing that doesn't fit. What if everything you described in your last post was the same, but Lorien has recently split with the Synod to join the CoH because of his desire to target the steel ministry directly?

That does leave a few interesting questions, too. If the Canton of Heterodoxy is about 15 years old, Lorien would be 12 when it started. In that case, how did Lorien come into contact with the Canton of Heterodoxy? With him being half the age of Taharazad, how did they meet? Oh, what if Lorien, in his search for metals, learned that Tahar knew of electrum (you did mention that, right Strigo)? That would give an excellent reason for Lorien to come into contact with the CoH, and your reasoning, that he is hoping the CoH will lead him to more metals, would be spot on.
bobbyboone

Network:
PowersPowersPowersNone
Formal Clothing
Disguise
Pocketwatch

Postby Kadrok » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:13 pm

[Age snapped] How about her-name's-not-Madrok-dammit snapped during the birth. Can she be the older twin, or do you want to be older Keira?

[Obedience]
Keira's probably a bit rebellious. Not especially aggressively or angrily so or anything, just a bit free-spirited.
Not-Madrok-dammit is probably a bit more reserved and cautious, but with a ... flair for the dramatic (noooooooo! Get away from me! You shall not be my feature again!) I'm thinking she's trying to come up with a really cool thief-name that she insists people call her, but it keeps changing because she can't find one she wants. Her codename is currently the very ill-fitting Madcap, so call her that until I think of a name.

[Age]
I want her to be younger than 20 but definitely not younger than 16, anywhere within that range works for me. Kad?
Exactly the same. 16?

EDIT: This is starting to feel a bit samey. Maybe I need to rethink her personality.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Character name: Kara

Phy: 4 -- Res: 3/3 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 7/7

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 8/8
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Protect my family
Profession: Thief
Specialty: Hard to read
Feature: Svelte
Personality: Inquisitive
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Iron 6
-Ironslide
-Iron-sight
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Formal clothing - Useful when blending in at high society events like Imperial gatherings and balls
(P) Misting vial - Contains 3 charges of Iron
(P) Lockpicks - Useful when picking locks
Misting vial - Contains 3 charges of Iron

PreviousNext

Return to The Crew