The Crew

Info about the Crew, its motives and methods, and its members

Postby Conquestor » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:35 pm

bobbyboone wrote:I'm curious if there is a specific reason that you want to have the Synod as your network rather than the Terris resistance. As Strigo says, the Canton of Heterodoxy's target and motives directly contradict the Network description for the Synod in the Wrought of Copper. The CoH deal in information and spread secrets, while the Synod has the rule "Never share Terris secrets with non-Terris." The CoH seeks to undermine the Steel Ministry in a direct way, but the Synod has another rule, "Never willingly take action which directly and openly opposes the Steel Ministry, the imperial army, or other agents of the Lord Ruler." That's why I think Strigo suggested against having the Synod be your network, and I agree, unless you want to roleplay the conflict inherent of being connected with both networks. :shock: :)

Plus the Terris Resistance network has a way better benefit anyway, imho. ;)

However, I really like your character, the motivations, and how he wants to discover new metals to help his people. In fact, I think your choice of networks is the only thing that doesn't fit. What if everything you described in your last post was the same, but Lorien has recently split with the Synod to join the CoH because of his desire to target the steel ministry directly?

That does leave a few interesting questions, too. If the Canton of Heterodoxy is about 15 years old, Lorien would be 12 when it started. In that case, how did Lorien come into contact with the Canton of Heterodoxy? With him being half the age of Taharazad, how did they meet? Oh, what if Lorien, in his search for metals, learned that Tahar knew of electrum (you did mention that, right Strigo)? That would give an excellent reason for Lorien to come into contact with the CoH, and your reasoning, that he is hoping the CoH will lead him to more metals, would be spot on.

Yes, that backstory works really well and I like it. :D I suppose that would make my character 12 when the CoN started, but let's suppose that my character was a child prodigy and used the his contacts to find metals. That was when he found Tarahazad, who had discovered electric, so, Lorien supplied his talents to the crew.
Conquestor

Character name: Lorien

: Attr -- Stand -- Res: :
Phy: 3 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 2/2 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive - Discover the secrets of the Metallic arts
Profession - scholar
Specialty - Metalurgy
Feature - Battle scar on left arm
Personality - Sarcastic
PowersPowersPowersFeruchemy / 3 in all metals.
InventoryInventoryInventory3 MetalMinds average / staff.
1st MetalMind - Pewter 50/100 - Steel 50/100 - Iron 50/100
2nd MetalMind - Bronze 50/100 - Copper 50/100 - Zinc 50/100
3rd MultiMind - Gold 50/100 - Brass 50/100 - Tin(sight) 50/100
Aluminum Mind - 25/50
Nicrosil(Iron) Mind - 12/25
1 Atium bead

Postby Herowannabe » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:53 am

A couple random comments before I hit the sack after a LONG day of manual labor. Let me know if there is anything else in particular you'd like my input on.

re: Synod Network.

The restrictions are as follows (emphasis mine):
Never share Terris secrets with non-Terris; never willingly take action which directly and openly opposes the Steel Ministry, the imperial army, or other agents of the Lord Ruler.

The Synod isn't opposed to sharing secrets in general, only Terris secrets with non-Terris people. The Canton of Heterodoxy can and does deal in all sorts of secrets.

The Synod isn't opposed to opposing the Steel Ministry & etc, it's opposed to doing so directly and openly. Secretly spreading illicit information is not direct or open.

So technically, this Network could work within the Canton of Heterodoxy. If you're still worried about it, I would spin it as thus: Agents of the Synod (or perhaps just Lorien on his own) took interest in the CoH's work, and decided to get involved, both to 1. Collect and benefit from the information being smuggled and 2. Act as a tempering influence to the CoH's work, making sure that they don't spread information that could hurt the Terris people and making sure that the group doesn't get so carried away that they attract the Lord Ruler's attention and wrath.

Oh and someone asked somewhere if I approved of being involved with House Elariel. I do approve. I would suggest that we avoid making any of our characters the Head Steward of the house though (retired head steward is fine), just because it would get difficult having such a heavy weight of additional responsibilities that have nothing to do with the crew's goals and missions.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby bobbyboone » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:29 pm

Okay, that makes sense. Conquestor, I think Hero makes a fair point, so if you want to be part of the Synod, awesome! However, I still maintain that the Terris Resistance has a WAY better benefit than the Synod, haha.

So, should we start up our character sheet topics, or do we have more to discuss here?
bobbyboone

Character name: Alvern Bertais

Phy: 3 -- Res: 5/5 -- Hea: 8/8

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 5/5 -- Rep: 9/9

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 8/8

AP: 1
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Bring down the lofty
Profession: Curiosity/Antique Shop Owner
Specialty: Numerous Noble Customers
Feature: Always has a joke
Personality: Inviting
Other Traits: Amateur Duelist, Fiction Lover

Network:
Yeden's Rebellion (Rules: Keep the rebellion’s location secret; secure additional provisions and supplies for the rebels; contribute to the training of skaa troops. Benefit: First nudge per beat dealing extra damage to a member of the steel ministry deals 2 instead of 1)
PowersPowersPowersNone
InventoryInventoryInventoryDueling Cane (+2 dmg, touch/striking)
Formal Clothing
Disguise
Antique/Curiosity Shop (Safe house)
Pocketwatch

Postby Herowannabe » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:45 pm

You guys are definitely ready to start character sheet topics. Any minor changes can be edited in later.

By the way Cometaryorbit PMed me back saying he's still interested but hasn't posted anything yet. Hopefully he does so soon, but I'm not going to delay the start of the adventure for him. I think we should be all ready to go in a day or two here once your character threads have been posted, unless one of you has something that still needs to be discussed?
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby cometaryorbit » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:30 pm

I am here now - sorry. Been really snowed under with RL stuff this past week but after today it should be pretty much cleared up.

Looking at what other people have decided on, I'm thinking a Smoker ex-soldier skaa... sound good?
cometaryorbit

Character name: Bel

Phy: 5 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 9/9

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 5/5

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 8/8
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Get back at the Steel Ministry
Profession: Soldier
Specialty: Insight
Feature: Often overlooked
Personality: Always watchful
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Copper 6, Slow-Burning Copper
InventoryInventoryInventoryProps
Club
Small wooden shield
Misting vial (Copper) x2

Postby Strigo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:46 pm

Kadrok wrote:EDIT: This is starting to feel a bit samey. Maybe I need to rethink her personality.

Whatever you prefer! Just let me know what you settle on XD

Herowannabe wrote:So technically, this Network could work within the Canton of Heterodoxy.

My bad - you are correct. That said, I think it will inevitably lead to contention within the party, or with the Synod, and I want to make sure that everyone's cool with that. (Since nobody else in the group is required to follow those rules, and is quite likely to end up violating them.) Also, it would be good to know what qualifies as a Terris secret. Would he be able to tell any of the non-Terris characters about the secret metals? Or anyone else? And given that Tahar would /totally/ share that information if he thought it would destabilize the Steel Ministry/benefit Terris, would he be allowed to talk about them at all? (I've already covered that Taharazad will probably be on pretty terrible terms with the Synod, since he'd consider them to be failing the Terris people by sitting back and letting the Steel Ministry crush them.) Again, I'm fine with this, as long as everybody else is aware that some of these issues will almost certainly come up.

Herowannabe wrote:Oh and someone asked somewhere if I approved of being involved with House Elariel. I do approve. I would suggest that we avoid making any of our characters the Head Steward of the house though (retired head steward is fine), just because it would get difficult having such a heavy weight of additional responsibilities that have nothing to do with the crew's goals and missions.

Yup, that's what I was thinking. Tahar would probably know most all of the stewards there now (and likely have trained some of them as apprentice stewards), but it's easier if he isn't tied down like that in the present. The other part of that which is up in the air is if setting him up as an accountant/steward in the Steel Ministry could make sense - I'm concerned that this would cause similar issues in terms of locking him down in one place, but I wanted to get a second opinion (as it'd be cool positioning for the group and the character). Otherwise, I'll probably just attach him as Alvern's steward, since Conquestor hasn't responded as to whether or not Lorien would be using that position to camouflage his status.

bobbyboone wrote:So, should we start up our character sheet topics, or do we have more to discuss here?

I think there was some stuff in my previous post that I could use a response to, but I believe most of it was optional ideas, so I can definitely proceed.

cemetaryorbit wrote:Looking at what other people have decided on, I'm thinking a Smoker ex-soldier skaa... sound good?

This sounds good, and could definitely help the group. How old is your character? If they could've plausibly been serving as a guardsmen for Elariel ~16 years ago (pre or post soldiering), they could potentially have worked with Taharazad to get the Mistlets' mom to safety (and otherwise colluded in similar ventures). Otherwise, I think Alvern would be the most natural connection point to the crew, as he has the most Skaa connections by far.

EDIT: Never mind. Your character sheet came up while I was writing this. All but the last bit would conflict with your current story XD

Conquestor wrote:I suppose that would make my character 12 when the CoN started, but let's suppose that my character was a child prodigy and used the his contacts to find metals. That was when he found Tarahazad, who had discovered electric, so, Lorien supplied his talents to the crew.

This does stretch suspension of disbelief a bit for me, but I think this could work with a tiny bit of adjustment. Primarily, I don't see how Lorien could have been a founding member of the CoH at that age, as this would've happened in Luthadel, and bringing a young Keeper into the Central Dominance would be an incredibly risky move for the Synod. Plus, Taharazad would definitely have found it unethical to bring a young child directly into such a venture. That said, if Lorien were to have (via coded mail?) contacted Taharazad as another scholar with a similar focus (if Taharazad had discovered Electrum yet*, it would've definitely been completely secret, as it'd otherwise get him killed) and not mentioned his age at all, the two could have likely been exchanging information and such for years, until Lorien was old enough to travel safely under the guise of an adult Terrisman (at which point he could've introduced himself to Tahar in person - much to Tahar's surprise - and likely joined the Canton of Heterodoxy quite easily).

*And he probably hadn't, as the MAG is pretty explicit that revealing that secret would wreck the Final Empire's economy and make the Steel Ministry very, very angry. If I do start Taharazad with that secret, there's no way he'd have gone fifteen years without finding a way to drop it for maximum effect.
Strigo

Character name: Taharazad

Phy: 2 -- Res: 3/3 -- Hea: 5/5

Cha: 5 -- Inf: 4/4 -- Rep: 9/9

Wit: 6 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 10/10

AP: 2
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Bring Down the Steel Ministry
Profession: Steward
Specialty: Meticulous Planner
Feature: Flawless Diction
Personality: Warm, but Strict

Allomancy Scholar
Fastidious Forger
Terris Resistance Fighter

Stunts
I Mean No Harm!

Networks
Terris Resistance
PowersPowersPowersNone
InventoryInventoryInventoryAllomancy Vials (1 pewter, 1 iron) - P
Medical Supplies - P
Steward's Robe - P

Postby cometaryorbit » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:46 pm

Strigo wrote:
cemetaryorbit wrote:Looking at what other people have decided on, I'm thinking a Smoker ex-soldier skaa... sound good?

This sounds good, and could definitely help the group. How old is your character? If they could've plausibly been serving as a guardsmen for Elariel ~16 years ago (pre or post soldiering), they could potentially have worked with Taharazad to get the Mistlets' mom to safety (and otherwise colluded in similar ventures). Otherwise, I think Alvern would be the most natural connection point to the crew, as he has the most Skaa connections by far.

I think the Alvern connection makes the most sense - he joined the army as young as he could and after the arm has been in the criminal underground.
cometaryorbit

Character name: Bel

Phy: 5 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 9/9

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 5/5

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 8/8
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Get back at the Steel Ministry
Profession: Soldier
Specialty: Insight
Feature: Often overlooked
Personality: Always watchful
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Copper 6, Slow-Burning Copper
InventoryInventoryInventoryProps
Club
Small wooden shield
Misting vial (Copper) x2

Postby Strigo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Yep, I edited my post as soon as I saw that your character sheet was up, but it looks like I was a little bit too late XD Skipping over how Alvern might have met Bel (that's between you guys), perhaps Alvern could have brought him on as an associate to provide a coppercloud while Taharazad was teaching the Mistlets about their abilities? This would provide for him knowing both Alvern and Taharazad (and the Mistlets), and would provide a natural avenue for bringing him into the CoH for real. This would also line up pretty well age-wise, since Bel deserted roughly several months after his first battle, which (depending on exactly how old he was when he joined) should provide for at least 7 years of him being involved in the Underground - more than long enough for him to have been involved in all/almost all of the Mistlets' training.
Strigo

Character name: Taharazad

Phy: 2 -- Res: 3/3 -- Hea: 5/5

Cha: 5 -- Inf: 4/4 -- Rep: 9/9

Wit: 6 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 10/10

AP: 2
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Bring Down the Steel Ministry
Profession: Steward
Specialty: Meticulous Planner
Feature: Flawless Diction
Personality: Warm, but Strict

Allomancy Scholar
Fastidious Forger
Terris Resistance Fighter

Stunts
I Mean No Harm!

Networks
Terris Resistance
PowersPowersPowersNone
InventoryInventoryInventoryAllomancy Vials (1 pewter, 1 iron) - P
Medical Supplies - P
Steward's Robe - P

Postby Herowannabe » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:54 pm

Just one point of clarification. We've been classifying metals as secrets (ie: "Secret: Electrum"), but really, the metals themselves aren't secret- I'm sure people mix silver and gold all the time. The secret is that specific metals and alloys can be used for Allomancy / Feruchemy. As such, when learning secret metals, you should specify whether you know the Allomantic usage, the Feruchemic usage, or both. Even if your character has made the connection that Feruchemic and Allomantic metals are the same, that doesn't necessarily mean you know both usage for the metal(s).

Thanks!

Strigo wrote:My bad - you are correct. That said, I think it will inevitably lead to contention within the party, or with the Synod, and I want to make sure that everyone's cool with that. (Since nobody else in the group is required to follow those rules, and is quite likely to end up violating them.) Also, it would be good to know what qualifies as a Terris secret. Would he be able to tell any of the non-Terris characters about the secret metals? Or anyone else? And given that Tahar would /totally/ share that information if he thought it would destabilize the Steel Ministry/benefit Terris, would he be allowed to talk about them at all? (I've already covered that Taharazad will probably be on pretty terrible terms with the Synod, since he'd consider them to be failing the Terris people by sitting back and letting the Steel Ministry crush them.) Again, I'm fine with this, as long as everybody else is aware that some of these issues will almost certainly come up.

I would say Terris Secrets include things like Feruchemy (obviously), the work of the Keepers, the existence of the Synod, locations and names of Synod agents, etc.

If Lorien had the Synod Network, that wouldn't prevent other characters from sharing Terris secrets, though doing so would most likely earn Lorien's disapproval.

And I'm sure that there would be some contention, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. ;)
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:20 am

So as I see it, this is who we have in the crew and the roles they fill:

Alvern Bertais: Co-leader, Provides safe house / front, Financing (resources), Contacts (Influence), connection to the Skaa rebellion. Also a bit of legitimacy for the safe house due to noble heritage

Taharazad: Co-leader, "The Brains" of the group (high Wits), Mentor, connection to the Terris Rebellion? (still TBD). I imagine him handling a lot of the logistics and management of the business, too.

The Mistlets (Keira and Kara): Muscle, Protection, Acquisitions (aka: breaking into places and stealing secret stuff)

Keeper Lorien: Co-Leader(?), Scholar, Connection to the Synod, Jack of all trades (due to Feruchemy).

Belmur: Coppercloud, Muscle/protection to some extent, and I would add Lookout to his role, too (respectable wits, and "Often overlooked" and "Always watchful" help as well)

There is one notable gap that I see: for a smuggling crew, you don't have much by way of transportation or forgery skills. So I imagine that you either rely on hiring outside crews to transport you to locations outside of Luthadel, or you simple smuggle info within the bounds of Luthadel (ie: somebody else smuggles a banned book or whatnot into the city, and then you buy it from them and fence it).

All in all, I'm really impressed. This is probably the *most diverse, interesting, cohesive, and well-founded crews I've had the opportunity to Narrate. Bravo you guys! You should feel proud. :)

*(With the possible exception of the Dying Light crew. I can neither confirm nor deny the merits of that crew ;))
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

PreviousNext

Return to The Crew