InventoryInventoryInventoryAllomancy Vials (1 pewter, 1 iron) - P
Medical Supplies - P
Steward's Robe - P

Taharazad

Post by Strigo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:30 pm

Name: Taharazad
Appearance:
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Concept: Terris Steward/Mentor/Allomancy Scholar/Crew Mastermind (to put it simply :lol: )
Race: Terris
Sex: Male
Height: 6’5”
Weight: 160 lbs.

Tragedy: The Steel Ministry Took Everything
Destiny: Watch the Steel Ministry Fall

AP: 3
+1 AP for interviewing Lady Lyrryse Venture and her staff
Attributes
Physique: 2
Charm: 5
Wits: 6

Standing
Resources: 3/3
Influence: 4/4
Spirit: 4/4

Resilience
Health: 5/5
Willpower: 10/10

Traits
Drive: Bring Down the Steel Ministry
Profession: Steward
Specialty: Meticulous Planner
Feature: Flawless Diction
Personality: Warm, but Strict

Allomancy Scholar
Fastidious Forger
Terris Resistance Fighter

Stunts
I Mean No Harm!

Networks
Terris Resistance

Equipment
Allomancy Vials (1 pewter, 1 iron) - P
Medical Supplies - P
Steward's Robe - P

Backstory
Taharazad's early life was, by and large, unremarkable. He followed the typical path for Terris education, and at the age of twelve was selected to continue his education at the University of Tathingdwen. He excelled in his studies, something that the Synod noticed early on, and under their advisement he cautiously avoided excessive displays of intelligence so as to not attract unwanted attention or interest from the Steel Ministry. The only way in which his time in Tathingdwen differed from any other Terrisman's was in the connection he developed with the Synod. His exceptional intellect, adherence to the letter of the rules, and patient and methodical attitude made him a natural ally within the university for the Synod, and even slight access to their extensive histories and carefully hoarded secrets sated Taharazad's thirst for knowledge outside of that approved by the Steel Ministry.

Somewhat uncommonly for a Terrisman, Tahar's mother exited the breeding program while he was still quite young, and he was fortunate enough to establish a close relationship with her. By the time of his university studies, a few of his elder brothers and sisters - some scholars, some city laborers - had moved into the same neighborhood as his mother, allowing him to form family bonds of a strength uncommon in Terris' community-oriented culture. Ultimately, this proved to be more a curse than a blessing.

As Tahar neared the end of his extended studies within the steward program - a position he'd accepted for both the strategic positioning it offered, and the financial support he could provide his family - an unexplained purge took place within Tathingdwen. Several dozen men and women were targeted by the Steel Ministry, and most were killed (others simply vanished, their fates unknown). Among them were Taharazad's mother, some of his siblings, and a handful of friends and acquaintances. No clear explanation was provided by the Steel Ministry, and any questioners that persisted past the barrier of vague and obfuscating statements were met with icy tones and implied threats.

Shocked and outraged by what had happened, Taharazad was determined to find answers, and he angrily turned to his Synod contacts in hopes of a lead. He was met with silence, at first, then advised that he allow cooler heads to prevail, and to trust in the Synod's work behind the scenes. Stunned that he was stonewalled, Tahar's decided to work around the Synod, and he quietly wrote to every contact he'd made, contacting individuals rather than sending a message to be filtered up to the Synod, hoping that some of them could provide information. While some shared his anger, all advised the same carefully tempered approach, and trust in the Synod. Furious, Tahar's usual composure cracked, and he responded by demanding answers whether the Synod approved them or not, the fallout from which saw him almost entirely cut off by the Synod's network.

Alienated from and deeply distrustful of the Synod, Tahar found few avenues through which to continue investigating events, and within a handful of months he found himself packing for travel to Luthadel, where his exceptional performance within the steward program had secured him a position as an apprentice steward within House Elariel. Deeply discontent, and harboring a festering anger towards the Steel Ministry, Tahar slowly began to build his own contacts in Luthadel. His first success was establishing a connection to the Skaa underground through Alvern Bertais, a minor noble relative of the Elariels with whom he had established a close friendship. This allowed him to greatly expand his reach outside of Keep Elariel, and through this connection to the Skaa, Tahar's quiet anger with the Steel Ministry was both broadened and honed to a fine edge.

Meanwhile, he carefully observed the other stewards he spoke to, noting that some among them had an uncanny tendency to discretely supervise him under the pretense of carrying out their duties. Passing one of those he presumed to have close ties to the Synod a harshly worded letter - written in an outdated Synod code - brought the behavior to an end. Though it took him years to earn the trust of many of these stewards, he eventually established himself a reputation as a model steward in public, while carrying out less-approved ventures and investigations in secret and by proxies - often working with Alvern to extend his eyes and ears to locations Skaa and Terris couldn't reach.

As his rank within the hierarchy of stewards serving House Elariel increased, Taharazad gained greater access to the inner dealings of the house, and his connections to the underground strengthened as he discretely used his gathered information to further his own ends. Through his dealings with the nobility, he eventually came into personal contact with allomancy, and his connections with Skaa crews gave him plenty of practical reasons to pursue his curiosity about the capabilities and underlying logic of allomancy - a topic in which he developed a great deal of expertise.

Eventually, it was this expertise that led a young Keeper by the name of Lorien to anonymously contact him using a very old Synod code dating back to before Tahar's connection with the Synod was severed. Surprised to see such an old code surface, and intrigued by the questions the anonymous scholar posed about allomantic and feruchemical metals, Tahar responded at length, and the two struck up a lasting discourse which led to in-depth investigations into hypothetical and rumored metals. Through this connection, Tahar regained some of the access to information through Terris that he had long ago lost, though Terris remained one of the regions which it was most difficult for him to reach.

In time, Taharazad and Alvern conspired to form a network of their own, through which they could more directly influence the flow of information in favor of the Skaa and Terris, and hunt down the secrets Tahar so desired. And so the Canton of Heterodoxy - the name Alvern had slyly proposed for their endeavor - was formed, and their ambitions stoked to new height. Ambitions which were, as ambitions so often are, largely shelved by the arrival of unexpected children.

Years previously, prior to his gaining the position of head steward within House Elariel, the lord of House Elariel, drunk into a near stupor, had unexpectedly assigned Taharazad to clean up after his assault on one of the house's Skaa serving girls. To Taharazad's surprise, the girl was one he'd gotten to know quite well in the process of his duties, and he decided to take the exceptional risk of getting her safely and secretly out of the keep (an endeavor he'd sometimes undertaken when lesser Elariel nobility tasked him similarly). Successful with the help of his collaborators among the Skaa guardsmen, the girl was hidden in Alvern's backroom for a few days, and then transferred into new lodgings with the assistance of the underground. About nine months later, the girl died in childbirth, and Tahar grimly set about arranging a foster family for her newborn twins - Kara and Keira, according to the midwife.

Now, at five years of age, Kara, the firstborn twin, had demonstrated allomantic ability after swallowing an iron coin - not coincidental to her burning of an impure metal, she also demonstrated a keen ability to projectile vomit. Alarmed by this development and frantic about the possibility that he might have a full-fledged Mistborn on his hands, Taharazad arranged for both of the girls to be transferred into Alvern's custody, and the two concocted the story that Alvern had adopted his nieces after the passing of his (entirely fictional) sister. Taharazad later quietly tested Kara's ability, and determined to his relief and disappointment that her allomantic abilities did not extend beyond iron. The greater goals of the Canton of Heterodoxy were postponed in order to care for the twins, and Tahar and Alvern struggled to maintain the level of activity they had previously managed in the underground.

Taharazad carefully monitored both girls, and was surprised by how quickly he developed a deep emotional attachment to the pair. After Keira's allomantic pewter manifested a few years later, Tahar arranged for both of them to work as pages with Keep Elariel, where he might more easily monitor them. As the two half-Skaa children grew older, their positions within Elariel taught them to slip quietly below the notice of the nobility, while their noble education under Alvern taught them to blend easily among them. Meanwhile, Taharazad ensured that both learned to read and write, and had a solid grounding in the scholarly arts.

More critically, of course, Taharazad also employed the extent of his allomantic knowledge to teach the two about their extraordinary abilities. In order to safely train the two, he employed Bel, a Skaa coppercloud who had worked with Alvern and Tahar in many of their previous ventures. Under the protection provided by Bel, Tahar taught Kara and Keira to use and control their powers, and the four of them spent countless hours in training sessions, trying to turn theory into practice. In his regard, Bel's advice proved invaluable, as his experience as a coppercloud had seen him working very closely with other allomancers on many occasions.

As the twins grew into their abilities and identities, Tahar and Alvern began to resurrect the Canton of Heterodoxy, and grew far more active in pursuing, trading, and exchanging information - the more forbidden, the better. It was at this point that Tahar first met with his longtime Terris contact and research partner, when Lorien came to Luthadel to pursue a lead in his research. Tahar was astonished to learn just how young Lorien had been during their collaborations, and by the progress he'd privately made in his own research. Lorien quickly became involved in the operations of the Canton, though he would vanish for months at a time to pursue obscure leads.

With Bel having been an official member of the group in all but name for a couple of years, the Canton began to take on tangible form, and old ambitions returned. With Tahar and Alvern's positioning and planning, Lorien's abilities as a Keeper, the twins' ability to infiltrate in both social engagements and - under Bel's protection, both allomantic and literal - more covert operations, they found the pace and extent of their operation increasing rapidly.

As the Canton of Heterodoxy came into its own in the last few years, Taharazad found that keeping up with the multitude of obligations was not as easy as it had once been. Trusting in his contacts within the servants and stewards of House Elariel, he decided to step down from his position as House Elariel's head steward. To maintain his mobility in social engagements, he arranged to transfer into a simpler position in the service of one Alvern Bertais, a minor relative of Elariel who he'd met through his service to the family.

With his time freed to focus more fully on his contacts and the work of the Canton, Taharazad has started to establish better connections in the Terris Dominance. Most notably, he's made very close ties with a covert organization living under the Synod's nose: The Terris Resistance. While he had always been certain that such a thing must exist somewhere, confirming it and establishing contact reaffirmed his opposition to the Steel Ministry and provided validation of his long-term work that has strengthened his resolve to move more aggressively against the Steel Ministry.
Personality
Possibly adding - time dependent.

Detailed motivation

Friends & Associates
Last edited by Strigo on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Taharazad

Post by Herowannabe » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:22 pm

Looking great! And that picture- awesome! Did you draw it?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:59 pm

You should probably decide how to spend those AP you have, since we're about to start soon. Do you have the Terris supplement? The Terris Stunt "I Mean No Harm" seems like it might come in particularly useful for your Taharazad, seeing as he's definitely no warrior. Several of the other stunts could be useful as well.

Or you could always increase some Attributes or Standings.

Picking up Electrum or another metal as a Secret might thematically be fun, but won't provide a lot of value to the group, since you're not an allomancer or feruchemist, and Lorien (the only character that could benefit from a secret metal) would need to spend the AP to use it himself. However, there are plenty of other secrets that could be fun to pick up. Things like "Hemalurgy," "Emotional Allomancy can be used to control Kandra (or Koloss)," "Knowledge of the Well of Ascension," to name a few. ;)
Strigo

Character name: Taharazad

: Attr -- Stand -- Res: :
Phy: 2 -- Res: 3/3 -- Hea: 5/5

Cha: 5 -- Inf: 4/4 -- Rep: 9/9

Wit: 6 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 10/10

AP: 2
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Bring Down the Steel Ministry

Allomancy Scholar
Fastidious Forger

Stunts
I Mean No Harm!

Networks
Terris Resistance
PowersPowersPowersNone
Medical Supplies - P
Steward's Robe - P

Post by Strigo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:21 am

Ha. That's the second time I've had someone ask if I'd drawn a character picture here XD But no, I definitely didn't draw it (though I'm pretty sure the artist didn't either - 99% it's a digital photo-manipulation/photo-art thing based on a picture of Clint Eastwood).

Yeah, I Mean No Harm! is one of the things I was looking at, and I think I'm going with it (accompanied by Terris Resistance Fighter). The point of Electrum for Taharazad isn't in it's value or use as a metal - nobody on our crew can burn it, and it isn't that big a deal for Lorien. For Tahar, Electrum is all about it's potential to seriously destabilize the empire, as a very cheap (relatively) and effective anti-Atium would crash the value of Atium, cutting a big financial support out from under the empire, loosening the Lord Ruler's control of the nobility, and also messing up the economy in general (this is something the MAG brings up in the Electrum section). That said, since finding Electrum would give Tahar an all-encompassing goal that would supersede most others, I'm going to skip it for now (despite having the 2 AP available :cry: ). I figure he's been chasing rumors and hints of its existence for years now, and it's something that can come up in the game if we get there.

EDIT: Welp, if you guys thought I wrote monoliths in the crew discussion thread, look on in horror at me writing backstory. Yup.

SO, I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting some notes I wanted to mention about that beast, but here's the big one: I wrote this over night, so if I didn't tie in a character in a way you like, or I typo'd something atrociously, etc., just let me know and I'll fix it up.

EDIT2: Oh, to try to keep my half-assed timeline together, I put together a very, very rough approximation of post-twins events in notepad, which I figured I'd share in case anyone was curious, trying to line up the events in their head, or looking to add something in.

Code: Select all

0 - twins are born
3 - tahar and lorien meet
5 - canton of heterodoxy formed
5 - twins are adopted
8 - bel enters the underground
11 - lorien arrives
16 - present
EDIT3: Oh, I was also considering swapping out gear so that he could carry a spare iron and pewter vial each for Kara and Keira. Something about this just feels right - situations where that'd be helpful seem like they'd be rare, but having him toss/pass them a vial at a critical moment would be super cool (accompanied by Obi-wan-esque lecture about not losing their lightsaber running of of metal). Hero, riffing off of the Mistborn vial, would it be reasonable to take a 1 charge iron vial and a 1 charge pewter vial together as a prop? 'Cause I'd almost definitely ditch the pocket watch for something to that effect.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Character name: Keira

Phy: 4 -- Res: 3/4 -- Hea: 8/8 (13/13)

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 3/4 -- Wil: 9/9

TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Make the world suck a little less
Profession: Cat burglar
Specialty: Singing
Feature: Svelte
Personality: Cheerful pessimist

Other Stunts:
Urban Racer
PowersPowersPowersaPewter 5
-Extreme Speed
InventoryInventoryInventoryProps
-Misting Vial (pewter)
-Lockpicks
-Formal Clothing
-Cat (Boxer)

Other:
-3 * Misting Vial (pewter)

Post by Claincy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:37 am

That was a good read :)
Ambitions which were, as ambitions so often are, largely shelved by the arrival of unexpected children.
Possibly my favourite line.
Strigo

Character name: Taharazad

Phy: 2 -- Res: 3/3 -- Hea: 5/5

Cha: 5 -- Inf: 4/4 -- Rep: 9/9

Wit: 6 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 10/10

TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Bring Down the Steel Ministry

Allomancy Scholar
Fastidious Forger

Stunts
I Mean No Harm!

Networks
Terris Resistance
PowersPowersPowersNone
Medical Supplies - P
Steward's Robe - P

Post by Strigo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:40 am

Claincy wrote:That was a good read :)
Huzzah! Never quite sure after writing something from ~1:00 am - 5:00 am...
Claincy wrote:
Ambitions which were, as ambitions so often are, largely shelved by the arrival of unexpected children.
Possibly my favourite line.
Yeah, probably mine too :lol:

It just fit so smoothly and naturally XD
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Character name: Keira

Phy: 4 -- Res: 3/4 -- Hea: 8/8 (13/13)

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 3/4 -- Wil: 9/9

TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Make the world suck a little less
Profession: Cat burglar
Specialty: Singing
Feature: Svelte
Personality: Cheerful pessimist

Other Stunts:
Urban Racer
PowersPowersPowersaPewter 5
-Extreme Speed
InventoryInventoryInventoryProps
-Misting Vial (pewter)
-Lockpicks
-Formal Clothing
-Cat (Boxer)

Other:
-3 * Misting Vial (pewter)

Post by Claincy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:45 am

Strigo wrote:
Claincy wrote:That was a good read :)
Huzzah! Never quite sure after writing something from ~1:00 am - 5:00 am...
Heh, yeah I know what you mean.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:12 am

Hero, riffing off of the Mistborn vial, would it be reasonable to take a 1 charge iron vial and a 1 charge pewter vial together as a prop? 'Cause I'd almost definitely ditch the pocket watch for something to that effect.
Yeah I'd be okay with that.

Return to “The Crew”