House Rules

A place for laying plans, dispersing general info, and holding OOC discussions.

Postby Herowannabe » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:22 am

Here's a list of House Rules and Clarifications that we'll be using in this adventure:

Advanced Characters: Starting Secrets
At the time of character creation, you may spend AP to learn minor and major secrets. 2AP for a Minor Secret like knowledge of a discovered (but secret) metal such as Electrum or Aluminum, 4AP for Major Secrets like knowledge of an undiscovered metal or how Hemalurgy works. All secrets must be approved by the Narrator.

To be clear, the costs and difficulties for undiscovered/secret metals are as follows:

Metal / AP to learn / Resource Difficulty / Allomantic Charges / Feruchemical Capacity
  • Electrum / 2AP / Difficulty 3 / 3 A-Charges / 50 F-Charges
  • Cadmium / 4AP / Difficulty 5 / 3 A-Charges / 50 F-Charges
  • Bendalloy / 4AP / Difficulty 5 / 1 A-Charge / 25 F-Charges
  • Aluminum / 2AP / Difficulty 3 / 3 A-Charges / 50 F-Charges
  • Duralumin / 2AP / Difficulty 4 / 3 A-Charges / 50 F-Charges
  • Chromium / 4AP / Difficulty 4 / 1 A-Charge / 25 F-Charges
  • Nicrosil / 4AP / Difficulty 5 / 1 A-Charge / 25 F-Charges
  • Malatium / 4AP / Difficulty 5 / 1 A-Charge / 25 F-Charges

The metals above are treated like Atium in that once acquired they do not go away during long breathers. If you spend the AP to start with one of the above metals, you also get 1 dose of that metal to start out with. This does not count as a prop, and if you want more then you'll have to obtain it via resource rolls.

Burdens and long breathers
During a Long Breather, characters with burdens are only allowed to both gain Advancements and lessen one Burden if that Burden is not related to that advancement.
I.E. A broken arm would heal just as well while reading about herbs. Attributes can be increased while suffering a Ministry inquiry. Stunts can be gained while disheartened. Etc.

Called Shots
Called shots can be used to increase the outcome or level of burden inflicted by 1. Thus if you're successful in a called shot attack that does enough damage to inflict a Serious Burden, you can increase it to a Grave Burden (or from Grave to Mortal). This does not include death, loss of limb or other unrecoverable injury except where approved by the Narrator.

Atium Beads
Unlike other loot, these beads do not “vanish” after the next Long Breather as normal, and the Heroes may keep these beads until they use them or sell them. Any Hero may sell a bead to increase his Resources by 1 die, or may trade it for any number of items with a total Difficulty of 5 or less (e.g. five items with a Difficulty of 1; an item with a Difficulty of 2 and another with a Difficulty of 3; etc.); both these benefits last until the next Long Breather as normal.

Steelpushing and Ironpulling other characters
Steelpushes and Ironpulls against other characters are always treated as Contests. Outside of Conflicts, the targeted character forms a pool according to normal Contest rules, generally using their Physique score.

During a Conflict, A character who anticipates their equipment being targeted by a Steelpush or Ironpull can declare an action that directly resists the Allomancer's action, placing the two into a Contest. The winner of the Contest has control over the effects of the Push/Pull, including who moves where, and has the privilege of spending nudges to deal damage or gain perks. A stalemate incurs one Complication against each side.

Without taking an action to achieve leverage, the targeted character may still spend Action and/or Defense dice to “defend” against the Steelpush/Ironpull, just like from a normal attack. However, in this situation if he beats the Allomancer he does not get any control over movement and may not spend nudges, though the Allomancer may still receive Complications from a failed roll, as per usual.
Regardless of the Outcomes, the Narrator should remember that once an Iron or Steel action has been taken, something almost always moves, and narrate the results appropriately.

Upon successfully Steelpushing/Ironpulling someone: You may move the target character 1 step away/towards you (respectively) for each point of Outcome you achieved up to your Allomancy's range limit. Nudges may be spent for various perks, as per usual, including inflicting damage.

Feruchemical Gold
The system for tapping individual charges of Gold is replaced by the following:

Tapping a Goldmind causes you to regain Health at a faster rate. For each charge of Gold you tap, you regain 1 Health at the end of an hour, to a maximum of 5 Health per hour (for 5 charges). If you tap 6+ charges of Health, you instead regain 1 Health at the end of one minute, with each charge above 6 causing you to regain 1 additional Health, to a maximum of 4 Health per minute (for 9 charges).

NOTE!: Tapping individual charges of Gold no longer temporarily boosts your Health score, the only benefit provided is an accelerated rate of healing (which more closely matches the novels).

Tapping 10+ charges of Gold works exactly as written in the book, but note that with Gold you only receive one of the benefits listed in the book (your choice), not all of them.

Feruchemical Nicrosil & Other Spiritual Feruchemical Metals
The rules for using Feruchemical Nicrosil are changed to the house rules found in this thread. Note: the thread contains very minor spoilers- mechanics only, no plot- for some aspects of Bands of Mourning.

However, Crafty has indicated that the upcoming Alloy of Law II supplement will probably contain updated rules for the Feruchemical Spiritual metals, based on things we've learned from the new novels. Once the supplement comes out, we will most likely switch to using Crafty's new rules for these metals.

Metalmind props
This list replaces the respective props listed in the Terris: Wrought of Copper supplement. Any props not listed here remain unchanged.

• Metalminds (3, average) props: 1 difficulty: 3
    Each metalmind allows a Feruchemist (only) to store in and tap from one metal: Brass, Bronze, Copper, Iron, Pewter, Steel, Tin, Zinc, or Gold; each single metalmind item consists of three physical metalminds such as bracers or leg-bands, each of one different metal and holding 100 charges
  • Metalminds (4, small) props: 1 difficulty: 3
    As average metalminds, but includes 4 physical items such as bracelets or necklaces which each hold 50 charges
  • Metalminds (6, tiny) props: 1 difficulty: 3
    As average metalminds, but includes 6 physical items such as rings or earrings which each hold 25 charges.
  • Metalminds (2, large) props: 1 difficulty: 4
    As average metalminds, but includes 2 physical items such as ornamental plates which each hold 200 charges. Cannot be concealed.
  • Metalmind (1, huge) props: 2 difficulty: 4
    As average metalminds, but includes 1 physical item such as a suit of ornamental armor which holds 500 charges. Cannot be concealed.
  • Multimind props: 1 difficulty: 4
    Single metalmind with 5 different metals; can hold 30 charges of each metal contained
Last edited by Herowannabe on Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Specified difficulties for learning about and acquiring secret or "undiscovered" metals
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:23 am

Added more specific rules for learning about secret metals and acquiring said metals, as well as switching to homebrew rules for Feruchemical Nicrosil. Please review and critique/comment to your heart's content. :D
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:37 am

Just out of curiosity, why the change to available metalminds?
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Character name: Kara

: Attr -- Stand -- Res: :
Phy: 4 -- Res: 3/3 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 7/7

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 8/8
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Protect my family
Profession: Thief
Specialty: Hard to read
Feature: Svelte
Personality: Inquisitive
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Iron 6
-Ironslide
-Iron-sight
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Formal clothing - Useful when blending in at high society events like Imperial gatherings and balls
(P) Misting vial - Contains 3 charges of Iron
(P) Lockpicks - Useful when picking locks
Misting vial - Contains 3 charges of Iron

Postby Herowannabe » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:57 am

I just posted my reasonings behind it over in the Crew thread, actually. :roll:

Basically I wanted to make each metalmind prop option viable, for one reason or another. Smaller metalminds give you more metalminds per prop, allowing for more variety, but sacrifice overall storage capacity. Larger metalminds give you more capacity, but you lose variety and they become impossible to conceal. Thoughts?
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:44 am

They look good. So you've basically added an extra size category in there, and clarified what sizes you can expect different objects to be. And I like that Multiminds are at 30 because 25 was always a bit of a messy number.

I mean, I personally hate house-rules because they break immersion for me, but they look like what I would have liked Crafty to have done in the first place. I'll be tempted to use them in any game I run. Maybe we should pressure Crafty into printing a "Realistic Metalminds Alternate Rules" sidebar?

How strict are you going to be with the metalminds? Because at the moment Con has 12 Bracers/Legbands, and I'm guessing he can only wear 4 of those at a time... at least that's the restriction I would have if I were running (but I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to metalmind placement).
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Iron 6
-Ironslide
-Iron-sight
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Formal clothing - Useful when blending in at high society events like Imperial gatherings and balls

Postby Conquestor » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:04 am

Two things, first, why would I have to store a specific metal in a microbial mind? The way nicrosil works is by turning some sort of energy into raw investure. Second, I really like the multiminds! :D
Conquestor

Character name: Lorien

Phy: 3 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 2/2 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive - Discover the secrets of the Metallic arts
Profession - scholar
Specialty - Metalurgy
Feature - Battle scar on left arm
Personality - Sarcastic
PowersPowersPowersFeruchemy / 3 in all metals.
InventoryInventoryInventory3 MetalMinds average / staff.
1st MetalMind - Pewter 50/100 - Steel 50/100 - Iron 50/100
2nd MetalMind - Bronze 50/100 - Copper 50/100 - Zinc 50/100
3rd MultiMind - Gold 50/100 - Brass 50/100 - Tin(sight) 50/100
Aluminum Mind - 25/50
Nicrosil(Iron) Mind - 12/25
1 Atium bead

Postby Kadrok » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:14 am

*BoM Spoilers*

The way you're describing Nicrosil working is the non-canon MAG Nicrosil. The storing the ability to use a specific power in a Nicrosilmind is more in line with how it works in the books.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Iron 6
-Ironslide
-Iron-sight

Postby Herowannabe » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:06 am

Kadrok wrote:I mean, I personally hate house-rules because they break immersion for me, but they look like what I would have liked Crafty to have done in the first place. I'll be tempted to use them in any game I run. Maybe we should pressure Crafty into printing a "Realistic Metalminds Alternate Rules" sidebar?

Yeah, I feel like I've already gotten carried away with the house rules here. It's because I have a paranoid tendency to try to anticipate every rule situation that might arise and address them ahead of time, so that when questions pop up it doesn't create a confrontation or a debate between myself and the players (probably a lingering side-effect from running Futile Efforts :lol: ).

How strict are you going to be with the metalminds? Because at the moment Con has 12 Bracers/Legbands, and I'm guessing he can only wear 4 of those at a time... at least that's the restriction I would have if I were running (but I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to metalmind placement).

Not super strict. As I imagine them, bracers and legbands don't have to extend all the way up your forearm/calf, etc. The legs in particular, being longer and thicker, could probably hold 4-6 bands per leg. Plus at least 2 per arm (forearm and upper arm). Yeah, he's got room, if he wants to go that route.

Plus, those are just suggestions for what form the metalminds can take. He could have other sorts of medium-sized metalminds tucked away on his person (a metal "belt," an especially large torque or necklace, etc). I'd even accept a set of rings or earrings as a single medium-sized metalmind, just as long as (from a rules-perspective at least) we treat them as a single, cohesive metalmind.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Conquestor » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Kadrok wrote:*BoM Spoilers*

The way you're describing Nicrosil working is the non-canon MAG Nicrosil. The storing the ability to use a specific power in a Nicrosilmind is more in line with how it works in the books.

Actually Brandon says in the MAG that you could do all this and he even asks what could you do with aluminum and nicrosil, in the nicrosil section.
Conquestor

Character name: Lorien

Phy: 3 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 2/2 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive - Discover the secrets of the Metallic arts
Profession - scholar
Specialty - Metalurgy
Feature - Battle scar on left arm
Personality - Sarcastic
PowersPowersPowersFeruchemy / 3 in all metals.
InventoryInventoryInventory3 MetalMinds average / staff.
1st MetalMind - Pewter 50/100 - Steel 50/100 - Iron 50/100
2nd MetalMind - Bronze 50/100 - Copper 50/100 - Zinc 50/100
3rd MultiMind - Gold 50/100 - Brass 50/100 - Tin(sight) 50/100
Aluminum Mind - 25/50
Nicrosil(Iron) Mind - 12/25
1 Atium bead

Postby Kadrok » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:37 pm

Conquestor wrote:
Kadrok wrote:*BoM Spoilers*

Actually Brandon says in the MAG that you could do all this and he even asks what could you do with aluminum and nicrosil, in the nicrosil section.

*BoM Spoilers*

He's arguably referring to being able to create Nicrosilminds that anyone could use, using the identity trick, allowing anyone to use any power (as long as the respective unkeyed Nicrosilmind for that metal has charge).
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Iron 6
-Ironslide
-Iron-sight

Next

Return to The Safehouse