The Statue at the Manor

Statue at the Manor Safehouse

Moderator: bobbyboone

Postby Kadrok » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:51 pm

I'm thinking basically this: http://steelministry.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=1132 but with Iron/Iron instead of Iron/Gold.

I might tweak some things. But I like the idea of a Noble family whose ancestor had the foresight to encourage interbreeding with Feruchemical bloodlines. Maybe they are Sliverists and were inspired by the Lord Ruler blending Allomancy and Feruchemy?

Maybe they'll be a branch of the Hastings line...

Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Concept: Deader Scion
Name: Sara Jasie Hasting
Race: Human
Sex: Female
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 59 kg

Attributes
Physique: 2
Charm: 3
Wits: 4

Standings
Resources: 5
Influence: 3
Spirit: 3

Traits
Drive: Thirst for power
Profession: Scion
Specialty: Talented researcher
Feature: Svelte
Personality: Energetic charisma

Powers
Allomancy
Iron 4

Feruchemy
Iron 4

Equipment
(P) Iron bracers (2) - Each stores 100 charges of Weight; one worn on each wrist; Twinborn kits
(P) Misting vials (2) - Each contains 3 charges of Iron; Twinborn kits
(P) Pocket watch - A popular symbol of wealth; keeps good time
(PP) Tekiel Zephyr - Horseless carriage; a stylish gasoline powered mechanical conveyance made primarily of brass and steel

Tragedy:

Destiny:
Also she has a car. :D
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

asr :
Phy: 2 -- Res: 5/5 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Thirst for power
Specialty: Creative tinker
Feature: Striking beauty
Personality: Confident
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Iron 4
-Iron-sight
-Multiple Targets

Feruchemy
Iron 4
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Iron bracers (2) - Each stores 100 charges of Weight; one worn on each wrist; Twinborn kits
(PP) Tekiel Zephyr - Horseless carriage; a stylish gasoline powered mechanical conveyance made primarily of brass and steel

Postby Herowannabe » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:26 pm

Kadrok wrote:Height: 5' 8"

Ha, nice to see some usage of the Imperial System creeping in to your posts. ;)

Kadrok wrote:Weight: 59 kg

Still some room for improvement though... :lol:
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Name: Elsander Feltri

asr :

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 7/7 -- Rep: 11/11

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 2/2 -- Wil: 6/6
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Get back at my Father
Profession: Senator's son
Specialty: Reading other people
Feature: Charming Smile
Personality: Condescending
PowersPowersPowersZinc (Allomancy): 5
- Stunts: Riot Aim
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Misting Vial: Contains 3 charges of Zinc
(PP) Terringul Ripper: +1 Damage, 12/12 shots, Range: Close/Medium *(This weapon can be fired as a normal firearm (using shots), or as a rotary gun (using a salvo). Firing a salvo requires at least 10 shots.)
(P) Formal Clothing: Useful when (patronizing one's inferior companions) blending into high society events like formal dances and gatherings
(P) Pocketwatch: A small timepiece that keeps good time

Postby Mac » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:20 pm

Anyone have suggestions for my character's powerset? I'd like to get simple things like this down before I work out backstory.

I want a power that makes me physically a very good thief. (Do we know what we're stealing? Like will I have to carry a very large statue on my lonesome?)

Allomantic pewter seems like the perfect metal. It is for this reason I will only choose it if no other good option presents itself.

I feel myself leaning towards being just a misting or just a ferring, since I think I tend towards over-powered characters, but for an interesting combination I could be flexible.

Tin is interesting but feels like the incomplete half of the physical powers. Boy that sure is an unscalable wall all right. I can tell that for absolute certain. aPewter/fTin would be powerful and utile... and, therefore, once again boring.

Iron/steel could be useful, for the lines and freedom of motion as well as combat, but I dunno.

Mental metals have their uses, but not really for what I had in mind. Enhancement metals won't be much use for solo-work, unless I think I'm gonna find an awful lot of people to Leech.

Electrum might be sorta interesting, and maybe bendalloy. I feel like Wayne has done most of the cool bendalloy stuff already, and as they point out in Alloy, it doesn't really help that much with thievery. Besides, it's way nerfed in the MAG as opposed to the books.

Feruchemical pewter is simply less useful than allomantic, and I've covered tin. Iron could be interesting for things like scaling walls, and steel feels overpowered. Warmth, breath, food, sleep, not really useful under these circumstances. Mental speed doesn't suck but not really geared towards what I need. Health, determination, memories, meh.

Then the crazy powers. Especially by the old rules, nicrosil is no use. Maybe take Connection, if the Narrator lets me use it to seem less noticeable. (Not invisible, just maybe if it's right on the edge of, "Did you hear that? Prolly nothing.")

So...

I guess that leaves me at... hrm, tineye, and whatever I can do with my normal physique roll? Possibly tineye/connector if the Narrator rules I can use duralumin to reduce people noticing me. Does anyone else have any thoughts?
Mac

Name: Red

asr :
Phy: 7 -- Res: 2/2 -- Hea: 9/9

Cha: 2 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 5/5

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 9/9
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Understand Human Culture
Profession: Steward
Specialty: Stealth
Feature: Long-arms
Personality: Serious
PowersPowersPowersKoloss-Blood (+1 to Physique, +2 dice in rolls involving physical strength)

Allomantic Tin 5

Stunts:

Tin-ker (By using your finely-honed senses, you can detect structural and manufacturing defects in a mechanical object or device, allowing you to quickly disable it. While burning Tin, the Difficulty of all rolls to disable simple objects such as a locks, door hinges, or pulleys is reduced by 2, while the Difficulty of rolls to disable more complex objects such as guns, automobiles, or electrical systems is reduced by 1. In either case, this Difficulty cannot be reduced below 1.)
InventoryInventoryInventoryTin Misting Vial (P)
Sheathknives (P) (Dmg +1 Touch/Touch, Thin knives which are easily concealed in sleeves.)

Postby Herowannabe » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:41 pm

As far as being a great thief, aPewter and aTin both seem like to best choices for me. You pretty much covered pewter- good for climbing, jumping, balance, as well as breaking down doors and/or fighting your way out in a pinch. Tin on the other hand I would argue as being just as useful, but in different ways. Great for sneaking, noticing if/when you've been detected, and with a set of picks handy there is virtually no lock that can keep you out. Plus pick pocketing, eavesdropping, scouting, etc.

Basically, I would say pewter is generally better for getting in and out, but Tin is better for getting in and out unnoticed.

Either one of those I think would complement the rest of the crew very well, as would any sort of social manipulation powers (aZinc, aBrass, fDuralumin), but that doesn't seem to be what you want for your character.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

asr :

(PP) Terringul Ripper: +1 Damage, 12/12 shots, Range: Close/Medium *(This weapon can be fired as a normal firearm (using shots), or as a rotary gun (using a salvo). Firing a salvo requires at least 10 shots.)
(P) Formal Clothing: Useful when (patronizing one's inferior companions) blending into high society events like formal dances and gatherings

Postby Sir Jerric » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:54 pm

@Mac: If you want a power to enhance a thief, then Hero's comment covers everything I can think of. Other than to promote use of aZinc and aBrass. I always liked the scene with Vin sneaking into the Cache in HoA, using Soothing and Rioting to distract and redirect the guards. Enough so that I am half-tempted to modify my own character plans to be a misting using one of those medals. I haven't because I don't want to short change my Wits and Spirit stats.

Speaking of, here's the draft of my character so far.
Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Concept: The guy who gets away

Crew Name:
Cause:
Target:
Method:

Race: Human
Sex: Male
Height: 1.78 m (5' 10")
Weight: 75.75kg (167 lb)

Attributes (S) Standings (A) Resiliences
Physique: 4 Resources: 3/3 Health: 7/7
Charm: 4 Influence: 2/2 Reputation: 6/6
Wits: 5 Spirit: 6/6 Willpower: 11/11

Traits
Drive:
Profession: Broadsheet editor
Specialty: Getting out again
Feature: Notices everything
Personality: Adventuresome
Other Traits:
Good in a scrap

Burdens:

Tragedy:

Destiny:

Secrets known:

Powers: (W)
(Gun Stunt) Quicker Draw (Quick Draw without penalty; choose Attr. in duels)

Equipment:
Sterrion 36 revolver (+2 damage; 6 shots; Close/Medium)
Hunting Knife (+2 damage; Touch/Striking)
Bulletproof Vest (-2 physical damage)

Advancements: 10

Backstory:
Sir Jerric

Name: Lestopher Grant

asr :
Phy: 4 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 8/8

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 6/6 -- Wil: 11/11
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Seeking adventure
Profession: Broadsheet editor
Specialty: Getting out again
Feature: Notices everything
Personality: Dour

Other Traits:
Good in a scrap
PowersPowersPowers(Gun Stunt) - Quicker Draw (Quick Draw without penalty; choose Attr. in duels)
(Gun Stunt) - Point Blank (min Close->min Striking; pistol melee +1 dam. @Touch/Touch)
InventoryInventoryInventory(p) Sterrion 36 revolver (+2 damage; 6 shots; Close/Medium)
(p) Hunting Knife (+2 damage; Touch/Striking)
(p) Bulletproof Vest (-2 physical damage)
(p) Rope and grapple

satm_ap: 1

Postby bobbyboone » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:51 pm

Mac wrote:Possibly tineye/connector if the Narrator rules I can use duralumin to reduce people noticing me. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Not that I'm trying to sway you either way, but until the RAW changes or someone comes up with a better (read: more faithful to the books) version I would let you store connection to help go unnoticed, as well as increase connection to go out in the open with less suspicion. However, I wouldn't go with 1 charge equaling 1 die, though, since you'd have to be storing a lot before it caused you to be invisible to a guard's notice.

I would probably give you an extra die for sneaking if you were storing 5 or more charges, and just a positive circumstance if you were storing 2-4 or something. Does that seem fair?
bobbyboone

Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:48 pm

Lol, if we are stealing a statue I hope it's made of metal.

*takes Long Range Ironpull and rips the statue out of the Manor Grounds, dragging it across the estate destroying everything in its path*
*guards raising alarm, whole estate in panic*

Sara Hasting: Nailed it!
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

asr :

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Thirst for power
Specialty: Creative tinker
Feature: Striking beauty
Personality: Confident
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Iron 4
-Iron-sight
-Multiple Targets

Feruchemy
Iron 4
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Iron bracers (2) - Each stores 100 charges of Weight; one worn on each wrist; Twinborn kits

Postby Mac » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:16 am

Herowannabe wrote:Basically, I would say pewter is generally better for getting in and out, but Tin is better for getting in and out unnoticed.

See, I get the whole "tin helps you be unnoticed". My question is... how does tin help you with the "getting in and out" part?

Pewter lets you do things normal people can't do. This wall is unscalable... no it's not. No one could run across this rail in the seconds between the spotlight shining on it... hold my beer.

Tin is inherently reactionary. If their defenses actually could stop any normal human, all tin will do is let me be 100% positive that there is no way in. If I make a tin misting or ferring, I'm accepting that the Narrator is going to have to build weaknesses into his defense for me to find. If he simply makes our opponents competent, all my tin will do is let us know that.

I've always had issues with pure "sneaking" in RP, anyway. It's like being what D&D 4e referred to as a minion; you are only ever one "hit" away from just being dead. If I'm going to sneak and all I've got is tin, I will need to succeed in literally every single roll I make. I fail once, and I get caught, and then that's it. There's no more sneaking. It's not like combat where you can have one bad roll, take a hit, and keep going. It doesn't matter if I succeed on almost every contest. The first failure is the end of the mission.

I don't mind challenges, but I worry that this won't be a "fun" challenge. Knowing that the Narrator will have to craft the challenges to deliberately give them a weakness for me to exploit, and knowing the entire time that I can succeed at every single roll and if I fail the very last one I have categorically failed the entire endeavor, and it's merely a matter of pure chance I have little control over that might end up making the entire experience a meaningless failure... that doesn't strike me as "fun challenge."

Unfortunately the other viable option seems to be take something like pewter, which is a little cliché. Of the two, I think I'd prefer that, however. Should I do Pewter/Tin? Or is that too much on easy mode? I do want the fun aspects of enhanced senses, of being extra sneaky, but I worry that every character I make is a twinborn.
Mac

Name: Red

asr :
Phy: 7 -- Res: 2/2 -- Hea: 9/9

Cha: 2 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 5/5

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 9/9
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Understand Human Culture
Profession: Steward
Specialty: Stealth
Feature: Long-arms
Personality: Serious
PowersPowersPowersKoloss-Blood (+1 to Physique, +2 dice in rolls involving physical strength)

Allomantic Tin 5

Stunts:

Tin-ker (By using your finely-honed senses, you can detect structural and manufacturing defects in a mechanical object or device, allowing you to quickly disable it. While burning Tin, the Difficulty of all rolls to disable simple objects such as a locks, door hinges, or pulleys is reduced by 2, while the Difficulty of rolls to disable more complex objects such as guns, automobiles, or electrical systems is reduced by 1. In either case, this Difficulty cannot be reduced below 1.)
InventoryInventoryInventoryTin Misting Vial (P)
Sheathknives (P) (Dmg +1 Touch/Touch, Thin knives which are easily concealed in sleeves.)

Postby Claincy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:30 am

Just a couple of quick possible counterpoints, though these obviously depend heavily on the GM.

Generally speaking I think unless they are on high alert there probably is a way in without being noticed to your average manor or keep. The guards won't have sight on every part of the wall at once, especially not with the mists and especially not as the night progresses. If they are actively expecting an attack or raid they'll be more cautious of course but even then there may be an opportunity if you can find it, which is what tin is good for.

Whether a failed stealth roll immediately fails stealth or not is basically down to the narrator. Depending on the circumstances (and potentially how much it failed by) it's perfectly reasonable for a failed roll to mean that the guards thought they heard something but didn't specifically see you. Or that they did see you from a distance but they don't know where you are now. They're not sure if they saw someone or not so they're more alert now, or got jumpy and posted some extra guards etc. And in some circumstances it's also very possible to try to con your way past the one person who you stumbled across.

I'm not saying your wrong, the difficulties you mentioned are certainly true, but they aren't true 100% of the time and it does depend heavily on the narrator imo.

Pewter is above the power curve, that I cannot dispute, nor would I wish to :P
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:24 am

@Mac and @Claincy you both make some very good points. I confess that as a Narrator I think I have fallen into the "1 failure and you get spotted" trap, though after reading Claincy's post from now on I am definitely going to handle sneaking as an extended contest, using multiple rolls before determining success/failure- and typically not all of those rolls will be the same- some might favor physique/pewter, some might favor Wits/Tin, and yet others might favor Charm/Zinc/Brass or even Resources (bribes).

Of course, Claincy also makes an excellent point in that its really dependant on your GM at the time, so we'll see what Bobbyboone thinks.

But as a GM, I would totally let Tin bonuses apply to:
  • Spotting guards and lookouts, eavesdropping, and the like (obviously)
  • lock picking (feeling/hearing the tumblers click into place)
  • moving quietly and moving about in darkness (seeing/feeling the surface of the ground and being more sensitive to sound than other people)
  • pickpocketing (both for locating objects worth stealing and slipping them out of your targets' pockets)

And even if I didn't feeling like the full Wits+Tin bonus applied, I would typically allow for at least a +1D bonus when burning Tin. Again, that's just me. As for this adventure we are beholden to Bobbyboone's wims. ;)
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

asr :

PreviousNext

Return to Safehouse