Chapter 0: Proposition or Plea?

Statue at the Manor Action

Moderator: bobbyboone

Postby bobbyboone » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Lestopher Grant sat at his usual desk doing his usual thing: staring. Anyone giving him a quick glance would assume he was proofreading the latest article by Camrian Tekiel, Basin correspondent. It was his job after all. Of course, Grant was not reading at all. He couldn't stop thinking about last night. They could have gotten killed, and Red had talked their way out of it, in his quiet, thoughtful way. Red would change the world someday. He'd already changed Grant a little in the short time they had known each other.

A man cleared his throat beside him. Most other people would jump with fright, but Grant had noticed the man approaching, despite having his mind elsewhere. He turned, dropping the poorly written article to his desk. The dim light from the new electric lights showed him a thin man with a comb-over and a tan suit. "Mister Grant?" He said. Without giving any time for confirmation, he continued. "My name is Philio Raisaal. I was told you could help me."



Alright, here we go! At this point, it's just Lestopher and Raisaal. However, coincidentally,
Red, Sara, and Elsander are all probably going to show up very soon. Feel free to invent excuses! :) You don't even have to wait for Sir Jerric to respond, I just thought this would be a fun way to start.
bobbyboone
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 am

Narrator

Postby Sir Jerric » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Grant stood and gave as much of a bow as the six-foot-square cubicle allowed. "Of course, Mister Raisaal. I am eager to assist in any way that I can." Raisaal...Philio Raisaal...Where have I heard that name before?



Just a quick ping for any background trivia Grant could already know from reading every broadsheet for the past five years. Things like the fellow's general social status in Elendel (or wherever we are), identities of notable family and friends, kerfuffles or hostilities he might have been involved in---that sort of stuff. If you'd like a roll for some of the details, I'm happy to oblige.
Sir Jerric
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:08 am

Name: Lestopher Grant

asr :
Phy: 4 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 8/8

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 6/6 -- Wil: 11/11
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Seeking adventure
Profession: Broadsheet editor
Specialty: Getting out again
Feature: Notices everything
Personality: Dour

Other Traits:
Good in a scrap
PowersPowersPowers(Gun Stunt) - Quicker Draw (Quick Draw without penalty; choose Attr. in duels)
(Gun Stunt) - Point Blank (min Close->min Striking; pistol melee +1 dam. @Touch/Touch)
InventoryInventoryInventory(p) Sterrion 36 revolver (+2 damage; 6 shots; Close/Medium)
(p) Hunting Knife (+2 damage; Touch/Striking)
(p) Bulletproof Vest (-2 physical damage)
(p) Rope and grapple

satm_ap: 1

Postby bobbyboone » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:55 pm

SirJerric wrote:Just a quick ping for any background trivia ...

Sure! Let me just roll here ...
Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Wits 5 + Broadsheet Editor + Notices Everything
bobbyboone rolled 7d6:
4, 3, 6, 3, 5, 3, 3

3+1 Nudge, a reasonable result:

Grant suddenly comes up with an article, on the bottom of a back page on "Basin News" from a few weeks back. Raisaal, a Noble, is from around New Seran and owns quite a bit of land. The article was ... something about Raisaal claiming the Elendel Elite stealing from from the people throughout the Basin. In fact, it was an opinion piece by Raisaal himself.

You may also ask one question about Raisaal using your Nudge.


Raisaal bows awkwardly back, then begins. "Your superiors gave me your recommendation on matters of such importance. I have been robbed by a guest of my home, someone I thought was an ally." His voice drops to a whisper. "Someone from House Deloxan, here in Elendel."

Grant recognizes the name: a minor Noble house. Raisaal continues. "It happened during the Elendel Basin Canal Expo, where I hosted Lord Erol Deloxan and his party at my manor outside New Seran. When I discovered some items missing after they had left, I contacted the authorities, but they did not seem too concerned. After what I can only assume was a brief search of the Canal boats, they found nothing. But, I remembered the other day, during the Expo, there was also an art exhibit that included pieces owned by Deloxan. Pieces that he took home with him on the Canal! The thief must have smuggled them in the art!"

Lord Raisaal looks incredibly smug, despite clearly having no evidence.
bobbyboone
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 am

Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:48 pm

We started! *squeee* So excited!
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 5119
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 am

Name: Sara Jasie Hasting

asr :
Phy: 2 -- Res: 5/5 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Thirst for power
Profession: Scion
Specialty: Creative tinker
Feature: Striking beauty
Personality: Confident
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Iron 4
-Iron-sight
-Multiple Targets

Feruchemy
Iron 4
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Iron bracers (2) - Each stores 100 charges of Weight; one worn on each wrist; Twinborn kits
(P) Misting vials (2) - Each contains 3 charges of Iron; Twinborn kits
(P) Pocket watch - A popular symbol of wealth; keeps good time
(PP) Tekiel Zephyr - Horseless carriage; a stylish gasoline powered mechanical conveyance made primarily of brass and steel

Postby Sir Jerric » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:50 am

For my nudge: What has Raisaal previously done to irritate the authorities? Seems like a noble who cries wolf might have been worthy of a brief mention in the news.

"Quite impertinent, to be sure. I dare say you'll want to find the stolen items." Grant turns to his desk drawer and withdraws an archive key. "Are these the types of items that would have been sold off, or would you expect the thief to keep them as a trophy?"
Sir Jerric
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:08 am

Name: Lestopher Grant

asr :
Phy: 4 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 8/8

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 6/6 -- Wil: 11/11
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Seeking adventure
Profession: Broadsheet editor
Specialty: Getting out again
Feature: Notices everything
Personality: Dour

Other Traits:
Good in a scrap
PowersPowersPowers(Gun Stunt) - Quicker Draw (Quick Draw without penalty; choose Attr. in duels)
(Gun Stunt) - Point Blank (min Close->min Striking; pistol melee +1 dam. @Touch/Touch)
InventoryInventoryInventory(p) Sterrion 36 revolver (+2 damage; 6 shots; Close/Medium)
(p) Hunting Knife (+2 damage; Touch/Striking)
(p) Bulletproof Vest (-2 physical damage)
(p) Rope and grapple

satm_ap: 1

Postby bobbyboone » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:41 pm

Good question!

Grant wracks his brain for any other articles about Philio and House Raisaal, and it pays off. A few years ago the Raisaal's tried to claim part of the Seran Range as their own land, prompting debate and outrage, both in New Seran and Elendel. They lost the claim, but since then hundreds of fortune seekers have gone to the area to search for what they believed would be riches beyond reason. Most have come back only finding decent pasture land in the foothills and beautiful views.

"Indubitably," says Raisaal. "I suspect the thief plans to sell them, as Deloxan is hosting an art gallery and auction at his manor tomorrow evening. What I need is a reporter to expose the crime and return what belongs to my family. If they aren't found then, I'm not sure what I'll do." He looks desperate at this. Then, gathering his thoughts, he begins fumbling around for something in his suit coat. "They're here somewhere," he mumbles to himself. He apologizes after a moment and says "If Vidian hadn't took our steward with him again and disappeared, I'd be much more organized."

The mention of Vidian suddenly brings several scandalous articles into Grant's mind. A known adventurer in the vein of Gentleman Jak, Vidian Raisaal is regarded as a lunatic (or at the very least, an obvious fraud) in Elendel, claiming to have seen visitors from other worlds, strange beasts, and other bizarre things. Though, with the appearance of airships from the south last month, Grant suspects the man isn't as crazy as initially assumed.

After a bit of searching, he comes up with a few pieces of paper. "Lord Deloxan gave me a few invitations to attend the auction. How many do you and your reporting team need?"
bobbyboone
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 am

Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Sweet, I have my in. Lady Hasting can attend the auction and meet you there. Unless you want us to already have been working together?
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 5119
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 am

Name: Sara Jasie Hasting

asr :
Phy: 2 -- Res: 5/5 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Thirst for power
Profession: Scion
Specialty: Creative tinker
Feature: Striking beauty
Personality: Confident
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Iron 4
-Iron-sight
-Multiple Targets

Feruchemy
Iron 4
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Iron bracers (2) - Each stores 100 charges of Weight; one worn on each wrist; Twinborn kits
(P) Misting vials (2) - Each contains 3 charges of Iron; Twinborn kits
(P) Pocket watch - A popular symbol of wealth; keeps good time
(PP) Tekiel Zephyr - Horseless carriage; a stylish gasoline powered mechanical conveyance made primarily of brass and steel

Postby Sir Jerric » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:55 pm

Grant raises his eyebrows at the mention of the "thief" inviting the victim to an auction, but he decides that Raisaal is not the type to notice or care about little inconsistencies. He also gamely ignores the sore point of the difference between a reporter and Grant's actual position. Grant does have the access to ask a reporter and crew to report on the auction, but not the authority to order it done.

To avoid having to quote a number right off, he asks, "Wouldn't we need a description of the stolen goods to confirm their presence at the auction?" Grant hopes that Raisaal has a witnessed constabulary statement listing the missing goods, because this isn't going to go very far if such a document doesn't already exist.*hint, hint*

Grant is not actually intending to do this investigation himself, yet. I'm sure that is what the Narrator intends, but an idea like that is not yet Grant's normal mode of operation. Of course, I also expect Grant to get more interested as he thinks about it, and if the reporter brushes him off and he is left standing with a fist full of invitations . . . ;)

So on that number question, we have four heroes (who I assume have already worked together, unless you really want to play an awkward scene where we are strangers?), but are all four of us going to attend the auction, or are we going to divide and conquer? I'll make the story justify whatever number is convenient, though my assumption is the norm would be a reporter and a photographer as a pair.
Sir Jerric
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:08 am

Name: Lestopher Grant

asr :
Phy: 4 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 8/8

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 6/6 -- Wil: 11/11
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Seeking adventure
Profession: Broadsheet editor
Specialty: Getting out again
Feature: Notices everything
Personality: Dour

Other Traits:
Good in a scrap
PowersPowersPowers(Gun Stunt) - Quicker Draw (Quick Draw without penalty; choose Attr. in duels)
(Gun Stunt) - Point Blank (min Close->min Striking; pistol melee +1 dam. @Touch/Touch)
InventoryInventoryInventory(p) Sterrion 36 revolver (+2 damage; 6 shots; Close/Medium)
(p) Hunting Knife (+2 damage; Touch/Striking)
(p) Bulletproof Vest (-2 physical damage)
(p) Rope and grapple

satm_ap: 1

Postby Kadrok » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:13 pm

An auction potentially containing interesting artifacts is right up Sara's alley, so she'd be there regardless of whether you specifically summoned her. How about we have Sara having worked with you before on some "investigation", so that seeing her at the auction can be a pleasant surprise you can leverage to your advantage?

Mac, did you want to be my Steward? Sara is drawn to power, and doesn't care what most people think, so having a Kolossblooded misting as a Steward would appeal to her (EDIT: Which would place Red there too).
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 5119
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 am

Name: Sara Jasie Hasting

asr :
Phy: 2 -- Res: 5/5 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Thirst for power
Profession: Scion
Specialty: Creative tinker
Feature: Striking beauty
Personality: Confident
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Iron 4
-Iron-sight
-Multiple Targets

Feruchemy
Iron 4
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Iron bracers (2) - Each stores 100 charges of Weight; one worn on each wrist; Twinborn kits
(P) Misting vials (2) - Each contains 3 charges of Iron; Twinborn kits
(P) Pocket watch - A popular symbol of wealth; keeps good time
(PP) Tekiel Zephyr - Horseless carriage; a stylish gasoline powered mechanical conveyance made primarily of brass and steel

Postby Mac » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:53 pm

That's what I was thinking, something like that, at least. I can't quite think of how to make this all happen so it makes sense and doesn't seem contrived, but as long as all the players get to the party, I'm okay if it's a little shockingly coincidental how they do.

Would you like to either say here, or PM me, anything you think I would know about Lady Sara and her House as her steward? Or feel free to just sprinkle your actions with, "knowing Red would return soon with her standard cup of wine" or "she said, casually using the code word that would tell Red she wanted him to interrupt her with a feigned emergency."

Ugh this is a terrible color, any suggestions?
Mac
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:07 am

Name: Red

asr :
Phy: 7 -- Res: 2/2 -- Hea: 9/9

Cha: 2 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 5/5

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 9/9
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Understand Human Culture
Profession: Steward
Specialty: Stealth
Feature: Long-arms
Personality: Serious
PowersPowersPowersKoloss-Blood (+1 to Physique, +2 dice in rolls involving physical strength)

Allomantic Tin 5

Stunts:

Tin-ker (By using your finely-honed senses, you can detect structural and manufacturing defects in a mechanical object or device, allowing you to quickly disable it. While burning Tin, the Difficulty of all rolls to disable simple objects such as a locks, door hinges, or pulleys is reduced by 2, while the Difficulty of rolls to disable more complex objects such as guns, automobiles, or electrical systems is reduced by 1. In either case, this Difficulty cannot be reduced below 1.)
InventoryInventoryInventoryTin Misting Vial (P)
Sheathknives (P) (Dmg +1 Touch/Touch, Thin knives which are easily concealed in sleeves.)

Next

Return to Action


  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest