Chapter 1: At Manor Deloxan

Statue at the Manor Action

Moderator: bobbyboone

Postby bobbyboone » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:38 am

Sorry for the long wait. School just started. :(

Elsander and Sara approach the manor of Lord Deloxan, Red and a disgruntled Lestopher behind them. The manor is of modest size, smaller than Sara's but not by much. It is the early evening, about 2 hours before the auction begins and the guests arrive.

This is about what it looks like.

Image

As you all cross the lawn, a man appears at the door and walks out, smiling broadly. This is Arlin Deloxan, heir to the house. Elsander knows him very well, and the other three have met him at least once I would think. He calls out, "Elsander! I must say I'm glad you're showing your face! It looks like that girl in New Seran didn't leave a permanent mark." He then turns to Sara, bows low and kisses her hand. "And how in the world did you get stuck with this buffoon?"
bobbyboone
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 am

Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:09 am

Sara laughs warmly, "Oh, I know! Believe me I know. But it's not what it looks like, I assure you, he's far too young and pretty for the likes of me." She absent mindedly hands her driving goggles to Red, gives Elsander a flirtatious wink, and proceeds to take Arlin's arm, "So tell me about this auction Arlin, will your family be selling anything of interest to me? Anything interesting? I'm sure you can get me a good price!"

Is it widely known our senator's son is an Allomancer? I was about to mention that at least he had Allomantic blood, but I wasn't sure whether that was public.

Also, is Arlin a known Allomancer? How old is he? Is he handsome?

Can I assume we arrived in my car? Sara would have probably driven because she quite likes to drive. She's also had some bars put on the steering shaft (concealed in the workings of the car) so she can drive hands free with her Iron if she so chooses.

I'm going to try charming some information out of Arlin, is there a way Mr. Rioter can help me out? (Well, yes there is, I'm wondering if Mr. Rioter has the sense to help me out. Probably check the results of his roll before you look at the results of mine).

Charm 3+Striking Beauty+Confident+Scion(she's a social equal/superior and well positioned)+Formal Clothing as a tool: 7

Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Kadrok rolled 7d6:
3, 2, 6, 3, 2, 5, 6


Edit: Wait. No formal clothing at this occasion. Exclude the last die.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 5119
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 am

Name: Sara Jasie Hasting

asr :
Phy: 2 -- Res: 5/5 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Thirst for power
Profession: Scion
Specialty: Creative tinker
Feature: Striking beauty
Personality: Confident
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Iron 4
-Iron-sight
-Multiple Targets

Feruchemy
Iron 4
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Iron bracers (2) - Each stores 100 charges of Weight; one worn on each wrist; Twinborn kits
(P) Misting vials (2) - Each contains 3 charges of Iron; Twinborn kits
(P) Pocket watch - A popular symbol of wealth; keeps good time
(PP) Tekiel Zephyr - Horseless carriage; a stylish gasoline powered mechanical conveyance made primarily of brass and steel

Postby Sir Jerric » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:52 am

Nice scene setting. Just about the perfect adjective for Grant's mood. ;)

The disgruntled Grant stays a proper three steps back from Elsander. He is not interested in performing the normal manservant's duties, but he hadn't persuaded Elsander that there is any better option. Grant stays out of Elsander's line of sight and attempts to be the "invisible" servant while keeping his eyes open as they move about. Hopefully the lordling remembers not to pester him with menial tasks.

This translates to "I've got nothing to say at present, so I'm going to play up my trait 'Notices Everything' while avoiding most potential distractions.' Basically I hope that the Narrator will let me notice any key story beat he wants to throw me without making me roll for every room.

I'm also happy to accept any curveballs that I might have just walked into, as appropriate. :)
Sir Jerric
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:08 am

Name: Lestopher Grant

asr :
Phy: 4 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 8/8

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 6/6 -- Wil: 11/11
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Seeking adventure
Profession: Broadsheet editor
Specialty: Getting out again
Feature: Notices everything
Personality: Dour

Other Traits:
Good in a scrap
PowersPowersPowers(Gun Stunt) - Quicker Draw (Quick Draw without penalty; choose Attr. in duels)
(Gun Stunt) - Point Blank (min Close->min Striking; pistol melee +1 dam. @Touch/Touch)
InventoryInventoryInventory(p) Sterrion 36 revolver (+2 damage; 6 shots; Close/Medium)
(p) Hunting Knife (+2 damage; Touch/Striking)
(p) Bulletproof Vest (-2 physical damage)
(p) Rope and grapple

satm_ap: 1

Postby Mac » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:59 am

Her Ladyship's gloves are folded precisely and placed in a rear pocket. Grant needn't worry so much about being invisible; he's standing next to a beacon. Almost everyone who passes at least glances at this "tame" koloss-blood. Some people don't even realize that the tattoos creeping up his neck from the tinningdar blouse aren't just part of the natural marbling of his skin. A few of the fellow patrons are so stunned to see him, they audibly gasp, and begin gossiping even before they're out of earshot.

Well, out of normal earshot, anyway.

Tin enhances his hearing beyond what people would expect; many people of Elendel don't even realize koloss-blood can be mistings, though this mostly applied to the common nobles attending. His quarry tonight would surely be more savvy.

Still, among at least a few people, he decides the risk is worth it. Any Seekers nearby might have trouble determining who specifically is burning, especially if he only does it for a few seconds.

In the dying light of day, a pleasant, non-offensive expression on his face, he quickly burns his tin, sweeping his gaze across the windows of the house, and beyond the manor to the shadowed distance where miscreants might think themselves hidden. He doubts there will be much to find, but you never know.

Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Wits + Tin, normal burn, no relevant traits.

Mac rolled 10d6:
2, 2, 2, 3, 1, 6, 2, 6, 6, 4


Womp womp woooooooooomp... Well fingers crossed there actually wasn't anything to see, anyway. Can I at least use the Nudges to obscure any Seekers who might be trying to figure out who just burned tin? Also I'm assuming "early evening" is dim enough that I don't have to Physique to protect myself from overwhelming senses, but lemme know if I do.
Mac
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:07 am

Name: Red

asr :
Phy: 7 -- Res: 2/2 -- Hea: 9/9

Cha: 2 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 5/5

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 9/9
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Understand Human Culture
Profession: Steward
Specialty: Stealth
Feature: Long-arms
Personality: Serious
PowersPowersPowersKoloss-Blood (+1 to Physique, +2 dice in rolls involving physical strength)

Allomantic Tin 5

Stunts:

Tin-ker (By using your finely-honed senses, you can detect structural and manufacturing defects in a mechanical object or device, allowing you to quickly disable it. While burning Tin, the Difficulty of all rolls to disable simple objects such as a locks, door hinges, or pulleys is reduced by 2, while the Difficulty of rolls to disable more complex objects such as guns, automobiles, or electrical systems is reduced by 1. In either case, this Difficulty cannot be reduced below 1.)
InventoryInventoryInventoryTin Misting Vial (P)
Sheathknives (P) (Dmg +1 Touch/Touch, Thin knives which are easily concealed in sleeves.)

Postby bobbyboone » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:42 am

Kadrok wrote:Is it widely known our senator's son is an Allomancer? I was about to mention that at least he had Allomantic blood, but I wasn't sure whether that was public.

It is not known. People suspect his father is the Rioter. Good thing you didn't let that slip! ;)

Also, is Arlin a known Allomancer? How old is he? Is he handsome?

You aren't aware that he is an Allomancer ...

Can I assume we arrived in my car? Sara would have probably driven because she quite likes to drive. She's also had some bars put on the steering shaft (concealed in the workings of the car) so she can drive hands free with her Iron if she so chooses.

Yes, I thought you would drive! That's a pretty cool gizmo!


Arlin smiles and walks her and the other three toward the manor. "Why Lady Hasting, I hope I'm not too young and pretty either." Before Sara responds to that, he chuckles. "Don't answer now, you'd probably just butter me up so I'll get you a discount. For a pretty girl like yourself, I'll barely manage not giving you something for free."

In case you're wondering, Arlin is 23, has long dark brown hair and broad features. He's tall and an average width.

Despite Arlin's smooth talk and demeanor, Red's tin-enhanced senses and his study of human behavior lets him pick up the slight waver in his voice and the look in his eye. They've only met once before, how does Sara do that to these men? Red also notices what looks to be a Terris Steward in one of the second story windows, speaking to someone. He also hears a man swearing at someone in the garden at the side of the manor. "Why would you rusting trim them now? Get this cleaned up, now!"

Lestopher Grant takes in the few gardeners leaving, checks out the paths that lead around the manor into the gardens. He doesn't see anything of note, but as they get up to the house, he hangs back long enough to see a rather angry man round the manor house. He stops and waits to enter after your group, muttering to himself about an "idiot" and how "they're supposed to be leaving."

Can I at least use the Nudges to obscure any Seekers who might be trying to figure out who just burned tin? Also I'm assuming "early evening" is dim enough that I don't have to Physique to protect myself.


Yeah, if there were Seekers, that Nudge will help. ;) And yes, it's not too bright right now.

The group heads in to an large entryway. Soft noises throughout the house tell you that preparation for the auction is still going on. To the right is a stairway up and beyond it a large room where chairs have been set up for the auction. To the left is a sitting room and further in come kitchen sounds and a few other rooms. Arlin motions you all in. "Elsander, you've been here, but Sara, would you like the grand tour? I do have some things that you might find interesting, in addition to the art in the auction."
bobbyboone
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 am

Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:14 am

bobbyboone wrote:As you all cross the lawn, a man appears at the door and walks out, smiling broadly. This is Arlin Deloxan, heir to the house. Elsander knows him very well, and the other three have met him at least once I would think. He calls out, "Elsander! I must say I'm glad you're showing your face! It looks like that girl in New Seran didn't leave a permanent mark." He then turns to Sara, bows low and kisses her hand. "And how in the world did you get stuck with this buffoon?"


"What, her? Oh I did bring her around eventually. I will confess that she did leave a mark- several of them in fact- but none in any places that I care to show you," Elsander says roguishly (or sleezily, depending on your PoV). ;)

sorry for the delay. Busy week.

As Bobbyboone said, Elsander's allomancy is a well-guarded secret, however if he can trust the crew not to let that secret slip (and I believe he can) then yes, he would have told them about it.

However, Elsander is not burning Zinc right now. Rioting your friends is poor form. Zinc is for manipulating political enemies and/or seducing stubborn New Seranese women. ;)


Elsander is content to go along on the tour, though the first chance he has to grab a servant's attention he's going to request something to drink- nothing too strong, as he already has a glass of brandy inside him. (Oh wait, I just realized that this is the next day- the day of the auction ) nothing too strong, in order to keep his head clear.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 2898
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:17 pm

Name: Elsander Feltri

asr :
Phy: 2 -- Res: 5/5 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 7/7 -- Rep: 11/11

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 2/2 -- Wil: 6/6
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Get back at my Father
Profession: Senator's son
Specialty: Reading other people
Feature: Charming Smile
Personality: Condescending
PowersPowersPowersZinc (Allomancy): 5
- Stunts: Riot Aim
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Misting Vial: Contains 3 charges of Zinc
(PP) Terringul Ripper: +1 Damage, 12/12 shots, Range: Close/Medium *(This weapon can be fired as a normal firearm (using shots), or as a rotary gun (using a salvo). Firing a salvo requires at least 10 shots.)
(P) Formal Clothing: Useful when (patronizing one's inferior companions) blending into high society events like formal dances and gatherings
(P) Pocketwatch: A small timepiece that keeps good time

Postby Mac » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:52 pm

Red keeps his hands properly folded, face forward and impassive, the sheathknives reassuring weights on his forearms. The gardening incident seemed like a non-event, and he had learned all he felt he could from Noble mating rituals. That Steward, however... the fact that his own primary role as a thief was being hidden beneath the veneer of a steward makes him a bit more suspicious. Was that really a proper steward?

Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Wits + Steward (Study Human Culture prolly doesn't fit, here, as Red considers Terris to be something unique; maybe I should re-name the Trait, then? What do you call a non-Terris, non-Koloss, non-Kandra, anyway? Encompassing both Noble and what would once have been called skaa?)

Basically trying to dissect what I can from my glimpse of the steward. My primary question is: Does he look like he's actually a Steward, or does he look like someone just in the outfit as a handy disguise? If I succeed and get any nudges, the first thing I wanna know is, what metal did I notice him wearing? (With a Result of 2 I understand if I didn't make out those details.) Basically I'm worried he might be a ferring. Other than that, does he look like he belongs in this household, or is the Steward of a guest?

Mac rolled 6d6:
6, 1, 5, 2, 6, 6


And again... womp womp womp wo~~~~omp. Boy that guy sure was a person in a robe.
Mac
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:07 am

Name: Red

asr :
Phy: 7 -- Res: 2/2 -- Hea: 9/9

Cha: 2 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 5/5

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 9/9
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Understand Human Culture
Profession: Steward
Specialty: Stealth
Feature: Long-arms
Personality: Serious
PowersPowersPowersKoloss-Blood (+1 to Physique, +2 dice in rolls involving physical strength)

Allomantic Tin 5

Stunts:

Tin-ker (By using your finely-honed senses, you can detect structural and manufacturing defects in a mechanical object or device, allowing you to quickly disable it. While burning Tin, the Difficulty of all rolls to disable simple objects such as a locks, door hinges, or pulleys is reduced by 2, while the Difficulty of rolls to disable more complex objects such as guns, automobiles, or electrical systems is reduced by 1. In either case, this Difficulty cannot be reduced below 1.)
InventoryInventoryInventoryTin Misting Vial (P)
Sheathknives (P) (Dmg +1 Touch/Touch, Thin knives which are easily concealed in sleeves.)

Postby Herowannabe » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Boy that guy sure was a person in a robe.


LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 2898
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:17 pm

Name: Elsander Feltri

asr :
Phy: 2 -- Res: 5/5 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 7/7 -- Rep: 11/11

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 2/2 -- Wil: 6/6
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Get back at my Father
Profession: Senator's son
Specialty: Reading other people
Feature: Charming Smile
Personality: Condescending
PowersPowersPowersZinc (Allomancy): 5
- Stunts: Riot Aim
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Misting Vial: Contains 3 charges of Zinc
(PP) Terringul Ripper: +1 Damage, 12/12 shots, Range: Close/Medium *(This weapon can be fired as a normal firearm (using shots), or as a rotary gun (using a salvo). Firing a salvo requires at least 10 shots.)
(P) Formal Clothing: Useful when (patronizing one's inferior companions) blending into high society events like formal dances and gatherings
(P) Pocketwatch: A small timepiece that keeps good time

Postby Kadrok » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:25 am

bobbyboone wrote:You aren't aware that he is an Allomancer ...
That's a shame. He's just a toy then, unless we discover otherwise.

bobbyboone wrote:Yes, I thought you would drive! That's a pretty cool gizmo!
Lurchers have a lot of opportunity for controlling their spaces. Her books also have metal in the spines so she can pull them from the shelves. I think about being a lurcher a lot.

bobbyboone wrote:Arlin smiles and walks her and the other three toward the manor. "Why Lady Hasting, I hope I'm not too young and pretty either." Before Sara responds to that, he chuckles. "Don't answer now, you'd probably just butter me up so I'll get you a discount. For a pretty girl like yourself, I'll barely manage not giving you something for free." [...] "Elsander, you've been here, but Sara, would you like the grand tour? I do have some things that you might find interesting, in addition to the art in the auction."


"I'd love to Arlin. Red, would you remain here, darling? I don't anticipate needing you with Arlin to look after me."And perhaps you can learn something from the staff here, she thinks, "Perhaps see if you can assist Arlin's staff," she turns back to Arlin, "if that's alright with you, Arlin?" she adds, placing a hand on his arm.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 5119
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 am

Name: Sara Jasie Hasting

asr :
Phy: 2 -- Res: 5/5 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Thirst for power
Profession: Scion
Specialty: Creative tinker
Feature: Striking beauty
Personality: Confident
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Iron 4
-Iron-sight
-Multiple Targets

Feruchemy
Iron 4
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Iron bracers (2) - Each stores 100 charges of Weight; one worn on each wrist; Twinborn kits
(P) Misting vials (2) - Each contains 3 charges of Iron; Twinborn kits
(P) Pocket watch - A popular symbol of wealth; keeps good time
(PP) Tekiel Zephyr - Horseless carriage; a stylish gasoline powered mechanical conveyance made primarily of brass and steel

Postby Sir Jerric » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Grant continues to trail the nobles unobtrusively, continuing his observations. If the opportunities present themselves, he might take a few peeks at the grounds from various windows. He is curious about whether the "leaving" comment was meant to apply to someone other than the gardeners. Or if some gardeners are loitering.
Sir Jerric
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:08 am

Name: Lestopher Grant

asr :
Phy: 4 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 8/8

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 6/6 -- Wil: 11/11
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Seeking adventure
Profession: Broadsheet editor
Specialty: Getting out again
Feature: Notices everything
Personality: Dour

Other Traits:
Good in a scrap
PowersPowersPowers(Gun Stunt) - Quicker Draw (Quick Draw without penalty; choose Attr. in duels)
(Gun Stunt) - Point Blank (min Close->min Striking; pistol melee +1 dam. @Touch/Touch)
InventoryInventoryInventory(p) Sterrion 36 revolver (+2 damage; 6 shots; Close/Medium)
(p) Hunting Knife (+2 damage; Touch/Striking)
(p) Bulletproof Vest (-2 physical damage)
(p) Rope and grapple

satm_ap: 1

Next

Return to Action


  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest