Chapter 1: At Manor Deloxan

Statue at the Manor Action

Moderator: bobbyboone

Postby bobbyboone » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:38 pm

A servant returns with a drink for Elsander (a fine brandy) as he, Sara, and Lestopher follow Arlin on his grand tour.

Cut to Red ...

Red obediently heads to the kitchens, where the majority of activity is happening. The servants all gape as he enters, but Red's low bow and polite request to help loosen up the staff. The head cook tells him to find Joran, the steward, who might have something for him to do. It's rather crowded in the kitchen.

The smells are delicious, and as Red leaves, he semi-consciously burns tin to increase the strength of his smell and hears some quiet giggling and a whisper from one of the younger maids, "He is so handsome!"

Red heads toward the stairs, which he is pretty sure will lead him to the room where he thinks he saw Joran.

Cut to Lestopher ...

Lestopher mostly ignores Arlin's description of the rooms and history of the place, but notes that the library is where they will be displaying the art. Most of the pieces they are auctioning off haven't arrived yet. In the library, he checks outside a window where he thought that angry gardener came from. He sees a bunch of trimmed branches on the ground and a gardener, with blond hair and dirt smudges on his face and coat, piling them into a wagon. The man has a messenger bag slung over his shoulder, and as Lestopher watches, he looks toward the front of the grounds, then toward the window where Grant watches.

Lestopher rolls Wits 5
Out of Character. Click to reveal.
bobbyboone rolled 5d6:
5, 4, 6, 6, 2


Grant crouches as quickly as he can, hoping the man didn't see. He briefly notes the the others have already entered the next room. He quickly pokes his head up to see, but the man isn't there anymore. The wagon is still there, and there are still branches on the ground.

Lestopher quickly catches up to the others.

They are standing in a study, with a fine desk and a large painting on the wall. Arlin is identifying it as "The Catecandre." It's an odd painting, where half the painting is of the world of ash and people getting burned alive and the other half is people skipping through a meadow.

There are a few bookshelves here, and the desk is clean. There is a second desk in the corner with what look like some ledgers.

"It's my father's favorite painting, which is kind of humorous, seeing as he sits with it behind his back."
bobbyboone
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 am

Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:58 pm

Sara laughs, "Very amusing, his favourite painting is one he rarely sees! Which is your favourite painting?"
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 5120
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 am

Name: Sara Jasie Hasting

asr :
Phy: 2 -- Res: 5/5 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Thirst for power
Profession: Scion
Specialty: Creative tinker
Feature: Striking beauty
Personality: Confident
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Iron 4
-Iron-sight
-Multiple Targets

Feruchemy
Iron 4
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Iron bracers (2) - Each stores 100 charges of Weight; one worn on each wrist; Twinborn kits
(P) Misting vials (2) - Each contains 3 charges of Iron; Twinborn kits
(P) Pocket watch - A popular symbol of wealth; keeps good time
(PP) Tekiel Zephyr - Horseless carriage; a stylish gasoline powered mechanical conveyance made primarily of brass and steel

Postby Mac » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Red goes up the stairs, stopping at the top, looking around for Joran. He tries not to give any sort of indication that he has seen a steward in the front of the house.
Mac
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:07 am

Name: Red

asr :
Phy: 7 -- Res: 2/2 -- Hea: 9/9

Cha: 2 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 5/5

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 9/9
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Understand Human Culture
Profession: Steward
Specialty: Stealth
Feature: Long-arms
Personality: Serious
PowersPowersPowersKoloss-Blood (+1 to Physique, +2 dice in rolls involving physical strength)

Allomantic Tin 5

Stunts:

Tin-ker (By using your finely-honed senses, you can detect structural and manufacturing defects in a mechanical object or device, allowing you to quickly disable it. While burning Tin, the Difficulty of all rolls to disable simple objects such as a locks, door hinges, or pulleys is reduced by 2, while the Difficulty of rolls to disable more complex objects such as guns, automobiles, or electrical systems is reduced by 1. In either case, this Difficulty cannot be reduced below 1.)
InventoryInventoryInventoryTin Misting Vial (P)
Sheathknives (P) (Dmg +1 Touch/Touch, Thin knives which are easily concealed in sleeves.)

Postby Herowannabe » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:38 am

Elsander sips at his brandy as he strolls along, content to let Sara and Arlin chat/flirt, though he keeps his eyes open for any of the stolen items on Lestopher's list.

Wits 4 to surreptitiously search for signs of the stolen goods, no traits that i can see.
Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Herowannabe rolled 4d6:
6, 3, 4, 6


EDIT: well, no luck here. At least with the nudges I probably won't get noticed or suffer any other ill consequences.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 2898
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:17 pm

Name: Elsander Feltri

asr :
Phy: 2 -- Res: 5/5 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 7/7 -- Rep: 11/11

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 2/2 -- Wil: 6/6
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Get back at my Father
Profession: Senator's son
Specialty: Reading other people
Feature: Charming Smile
Personality: Condescending
PowersPowersPowersZinc (Allomancy): 5
- Stunts: Riot Aim
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Misting Vial: Contains 3 charges of Zinc
(PP) Terringul Ripper: +1 Damage, 12/12 shots, Range: Close/Medium *(This weapon can be fired as a normal firearm (using shots), or as a rotary gun (using a salvo). Firing a salvo requires at least 10 shots.)
(P) Formal Clothing: Useful when (patronizing one's inferior companions) blending into high society events like formal dances and gatherings
(P) Pocketwatch: A small timepiece that keeps good time

Postby Sir Jerric » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Grant spends a few moments mentally kicking himself for dodging like that. Looking bored out the window is far less obtrusive than ducking for cover, and he has every right to be in the house and glancing around. Pre-sunset, the gardener probably wouldn't have seen anything through the window. Might not have even with the sudden movement, though Grant is not going to count on that. (Explaining my "lapse of wits" in bobby's roll. Not at all what Grant would have done had I the choice, but I'll roll with it.)

Assuming that Grant spots Red and can drop back for a quiet moment, he will remark on the vanishing gardener with the unusual messenger bag, in case Red gets a chance to use the information first. Otherwise (or afterward), Grant continues his unobtrusive Notice of Everything until further notice, as said before.
Sir Jerric
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:08 am

Name: Lestopher Grant

asr :
Phy: 4 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 8/8

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 6/6 -- Wil: 11/11
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Seeking adventure
Profession: Broadsheet editor
Specialty: Getting out again
Feature: Notices everything
Personality: Dour

Other Traits:
Good in a scrap
PowersPowersPowers(Gun Stunt) - Quicker Draw (Quick Draw without penalty; choose Attr. in duels)
(Gun Stunt) - Point Blank (min Close->min Striking; pistol melee +1 dam. @Touch/Touch)
InventoryInventoryInventory(p) Sterrion 36 revolver (+2 damage; 6 shots; Close/Medium)
(p) Hunting Knife (+2 damage; Touch/Striking)
(p) Bulletproof Vest (-2 physical damage)
(p) Rope and grapple

satm_ap: 1

Postby bobbyboone » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:53 pm

Herowannabe wrote:Wits 4 to surreptitiously search for signs of the stolen goods, no traits that i can see.


You don't see anything, and when Arlin isn't looking you even try to pull the painting up from the wall to see if there is anything behind it. It doesn't pull up, surprisingly.

Kadrok wrote:Sara laughs, "Very amusing, his favourite painting is one he rarely sees! Which is your favourite painting?"


Arlin smiles, "I thought you'd never ask. It's upstairs, I'll show you."

He takes the three of them back to the front to the staircase by the main entrance, then up the stairs and through a few rooms to a small room where a painting sits on the floor by a wall. This room is being used as storage, it appears. The painting is a portrait of an older man in noble attire. The style of the coat he wears is old, perhaps as old as the Catecendre. Arlin squats in front of the painting. "This is my namesake. Arlin Deloxan. I'm actually Arlin the second." He touches the face reverently, then turns to Sara and Elsander. "What do you think? Who has the good looks?"

After the response, he turns back and stands, frowning. "I can't believe father is selling it."

In the same room is a case with a thick wooden bottom. Inside is an intricately carved glass knife (it's sort of a fad these days). There is also a steel portrait of an Obligator inside a wood frame, and a few old books.

Sir Jerric wrote:(Explaining my "lapse of wits" in bobby's roll. Not at all what Grant would have done had I the choice, but I'll roll with it.)


:) I'll keep that in mind! Luckily you scored 2 nudges on the roll.

Grant quickly realizes the room they are in is at the back of the manor above the study. He also notices a few patches of dirt on the carpet.

Cut to Red

Red immediately hears Joran in the room closest to the stairs and goes inside. "I am aware that we don't have much time before the auction. I assure you ..." Joran cuts off as Red enters. He is speaking with a woman wearing a fashionable gown, putting on her makeup. The woman smiles at you, while Joran looks surprised. "May I help you?" He asks.

Red bows low, and in a low, respectful voice, says "My lady, my good Terrisman, I did not mean to interrupt. I am here with my mistress Sara Hasting, and she wondered if I could be of service to you to prepare for the auction."

The woman nods her head in greeting and turns back to her makeup. Joran responds. "Of course. We need to move some heavy objects, and you will be very helpful, I think."

He leads Red down to the room where the auction will take place and shows him a statue. It appears to be bronze and looks to be a blob with a person standing in the middle. Joran motions to the statue. "This statue normally is in this room, but Lord Deloxan is not selling it. We need to move it to the sitting room, which is through those doors." He moves to help lift, though he is clearly apprehensive. A man in workers clothing enters the room before anything happens.

"Sir, we're here with the cart from House Tekiel. It's a pretty large load." The steward immediately moves to follow him. "I'm sure you can lift it on your own. When you've moved the statue and the stand, please come out and help with the things in the cart." He then leaves you alone.
bobbyboone
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 am

Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:18 am

bobbyboone wrote:The painting is a portrait of an older man in noble attire. The style of the coat he wears is old, perhaps as old as the Catecendre. Arlin squats in front of the painting. "This is my namesake. Arlin Deloxan. I'm actually Arlin the second." He touches the face reverently, then turns to Sara and Elsander. "What do you think? Who has the good looks?"
"You've definitely improved upon your ancestor in that regard Arlin II" Sara replies playfully.
bobbyboone wrote:After the response, he turns back and stands, frowning. "I can't believe father is selling it."
"He is? How odd. I would have though such a painting would be prominently displayed. Perhaps I can acquire it for you," she adds, kindly. Sara glances at the portrait of the Obligator.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 5120
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 am

Name: Sara Jasie Hasting

asr :
Phy: 2 -- Res: 5/5 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Thirst for power
Profession: Scion
Specialty: Creative tinker
Feature: Striking beauty
Personality: Confident
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Iron 4
-Iron-sight
-Multiple Targets

Feruchemy
Iron 4
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Iron bracers (2) - Each stores 100 charges of Weight; one worn on each wrist; Twinborn kits
(P) Misting vials (2) - Each contains 3 charges of Iron; Twinborn kits
(P) Pocket watch - A popular symbol of wealth; keeps good time
(PP) Tekiel Zephyr - Horseless carriage; a stylish gasoline powered mechanical conveyance made primarily of brass and steel

Postby Mac » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 am

bobbyboone wrote:"I'm sure you can lift it on your own. When you've moved the statue and the stand, please come out and help with the things in the cart." He then leaves you alone.


Though bristling inside at the insult, Red makes no outward indication that he realizes he's been slighted. Manual labor such at this is the job of a laborer, not a Steward, as well Jaron knows. Still, his task tonight is not to get offended at basic discrimination, it is to locate stolen goods.

While convenient that he's left alone in the room where the auction will take place, he's aware that if the items in question were planned for public display there would hardly be the need for clandestine operations. Still, there might be clues about.

Red removes his tinningdar blouse, leaving him in the pants and a tighter-fitting black undershirt, and makes a bit of a show of looking for somewhere convenient to hang it up while he moves the statue, making use of the opportunity to scan the room, looking for anything out of place. Still worried about being detected, he decides the risk might be worth it, and burns his tin for a brief moment.

Can someone remind me... I've sort of lost track. Is Tekiel relevant to any of this? Do we think they might be part of it? Should I be thinking about the Tekiel car?

Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Wits and Tin. What's the rule for pools over 10? Do they convert to free nudges? He won't want to flare in case that might make it more apparent to a Seeker and I have no relevant Traits, so it doesn't really matter.

Mac rolled 10d6:
2, 3, 3, 1, 3, 6, 5, 5, 6, 6


As before, if I could, I'd like to use the Nudges to maybe luck out that if a Seeker is Seeking, perhaps her attention slipped for the few seconds I was burning, or at least that someone started talking at the time, or maybe someone else started burning metals, and she was unable to make out very many details. What can I get with 3 Nudges? Can I make it that any Seeker doesn't even realize it was tin I burned?.
Mac
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:07 am

Name: Red

asr :
Phy: 7 -- Res: 2/2 -- Hea: 9/9

Cha: 2 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 5/5

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 9/9
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Understand Human Culture
Profession: Steward
Specialty: Stealth
Feature: Long-arms
Personality: Serious
PowersPowersPowersKoloss-Blood (+1 to Physique, +2 dice in rolls involving physical strength)

Allomantic Tin 5

Stunts:

Tin-ker (By using your finely-honed senses, you can detect structural and manufacturing defects in a mechanical object or device, allowing you to quickly disable it. While burning Tin, the Difficulty of all rolls to disable simple objects such as a locks, door hinges, or pulleys is reduced by 2, while the Difficulty of rolls to disable more complex objects such as guns, automobiles, or electrical systems is reduced by 1. In either case, this Difficulty cannot be reduced below 1.)
InventoryInventoryInventoryTin Misting Vial (P)
Sheathknives (P) (Dmg +1 Touch/Touch, Thin knives which are easily concealed in sleeves.)

Postby Kadrok » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Sooooo.... we're not waiting on me are we?
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 5120
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 am

Name: Sara Jasie Hasting

asr :
Phy: 2 -- Res: 5/5 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Thirst for power
Profession: Scion
Specialty: Creative tinker
Feature: Striking beauty
Personality: Confident
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Iron 4
-Iron-sight
-Multiple Targets

Feruchemy
Iron 4
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Iron bracers (2) - Each stores 100 charges of Weight; one worn on each wrist; Twinborn kits
(P) Misting vials (2) - Each contains 3 charges of Iron; Twinborn kits
(P) Pocket watch - A popular symbol of wealth; keeps good time
(PP) Tekiel Zephyr - Horseless carriage; a stylish gasoline powered mechanical conveyance made primarily of brass and steel

Postby bobbyboone » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:13 pm

No, school has just been really rough.
bobbyboone
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 am

Narrator

PreviousNext

Return to Action


  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest