Oh No, Not Again

Oh No, Not Again Safehouse

Moderator: Mac

Postby Mac » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:05 am

ONNA for short?

Based on one of my favorite lines in Shadows of Self. Chapter 14. "We're ready if a koloss warlord decides to invade again." Emphasis mine. Apparently this is a thing which has happened. And now it's happening... again.

There is a small village out in the Roughs, even north of Callingfale. It is called Terionin. A rampaging band of koloss has been stirring up trouble, and recently destroyed a small hamlet. It didn't really have a name, it was just a couple of families starting a homestead out past the edge of settled lands. A few survivors have made it to Terionin, a small mining colony set in the foothills near the base of some mountains known for its aluminum.

Escape isn't much of an option. The rail hasn't run anywhere near you yet, and even if you hooked up every cart to every horse you could barely shift a portion of the population. The koloss will be here inside of a week, and if you try to cross country they'll just track you down and kill you. Making your stand here is your best bet.

So, here's how I see the game shaking out. I figure we'll have up to six players. I don't see this as really actual-combat so much as being the generals of armies. You'll have one week to prepare; maybe that means making better weapons. Maybe it means training people. Maybe it means setting up better walls or spiked pits. Maybe it means preparing a field hospital or an impassioned plea to nearby towns/the City for some sort of aid.

After a bit, will be the actual attack. The default attack is going to be "a lot of koloss." The main troops fighting them will be the people of the village. Your rolls will be on their behalf, mine will be on behalf of the koloss. I imagine a few set-piece direct fights, most of them constrained to a number of rounds. If you manage to kill off one particularly big koloss before his buddies show up, or if you are able to use emotional allomancy to grab a few of them and turn them on the rest, or if you are able to divert them into your trap, whatever the Contest is, it can have a big impact on the larger battle. But it's not going to be you guys with guns and pewter just bashing at a few thousand Koloss one-by-one.

People are free to make whatever they want in the context of Era 2. As I've said, I will start with an army of "some koloss" with maybe one or two surprises up my sleeves. Depending on the characters you guys create, I will up my own "budget" for sending a bigger, nastier army at you. Someone wants to make a Tineye scout? Maybe there's a koloss-blooded Seeker who will justify the army reacting a bit more intelligently. You want to make a Pewter/Gold twinborn? Maybe the Koloss have found themselves a railgun. You want to make a Steel/Steel compounder? Prepare for them to get reinforcements from the Skybreakers. (Not really, we know way too little about Surgebinding for that to be plausible, but you get my gist, I hope.)

So make whomever you want. You can be a bunch of unpowered mooks with high Wits and you'll be fighting a standard band of rampaging koloss. You can be the Scadrian Justice League and I will create for you a Legion of Doom.

What do you think?
Mac

Postby Herowannabe » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:04 pm

So one way or the other I'm going to sign up for this, if there's room (i.e.: if there aren't some newer players that would like to play). When I proposed a mini adventure/scenario along these lines I was envisioning more of the crew vs the Koloss Horde, with any human soldiers being more in the background or at least to the side of the main action. Basically I wanted to channel a bit more of the Vin/Elend vs the Koloss scenes in the novels. Directing soldiers from the sidelines sounds... less exciting. I'd rather be up in the mix with my character's life on the line every second.

So I guess what I'm getting at is I vote for the Justice League vs the Legion of Doom scenario.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Mac » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:44 pm

Heh heh.

I thought about that but I'm not sure how it would work... Vin and Elend both engaged three or four Koloss at a time and the rest were basically just okay taking their turn. Even with pewter, it would have taken three or four hits, maybe, for the heroes to die. If they magically never got hit, then it would just be the same exact rolls, over and over, two or three thousand times until you killed every single Koloss. I know that, cinematically, it looks like that would be more exciting, but in terms of RP, unless there's an aspect of it I didn't understand, I don't think it would actually be all that fun or interesting.
Mac

Postby Kurkistan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:39 pm

Aren't there group combat rules in the MAG core book?
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:45 pm

I envisioned about 25 koloss per hero, give or take. And there are ways of making it interesting, like dealing with the inquisitor controlling them (my scenario was going to be Era1).

But this isn't my scenario, this is your scenario, so please, run it however you wish! :) Don't take any of this as criticism or grumbling or anything, just me explaining what I had originally envisioned.

But also, don't be surprised if I end up opting to take a powerful character who likes to lead the charge into glorious battle (and who will probably end up getting killed). :mrgreen: I haven't decided on a character for sure yet, but playing a lone-wolf character like that in a scenario where we're supposed to be rallying and marshalling the troops sounds strangely appealing to me. ;)

EDIT:
Kurkistan wrote:Aren't there group combat rules in the MAG core book?

I don't recall any. The closest thing I can remember is the epic-battle rules, which deal with heroes battling large groups.

As far as group battles go (ie: soldiers vs Koloss), I was going to say something along the lines of for every 10 humans (or 5 Koloss. *Numbers are rough estimates) they get to make one attack against the other side, scoring 1 kill for each success + 1 per nudge.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby jeremyguebert » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:08 pm

I am interested in this game.

I'd like to play a gunsmith - I always thought the rules for making custom guns were really cool, but rather limited in the sense that once you build a gun or two for yourself, there's not much cause for building more. If I were to be in charge of supplying a small town with weapons, however, then I can keep cranking them out (i.e. the gunsmithing stunts continue to be useful long-term instead of just in a burst up-front).
jeremyguebert

Postby Claincy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:05 am

Sounds like fun :) I think I'll probably determine my character pseudo randomly. I think it'll be more interesting to play a character who found themselves stuck in this situation who isn't directly suited to it but will try to work with what they can do anyway.

Getting a bit late tonight to work on the details for now, but I'm in. :)
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Mac » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:24 am

Cool... show of hands, who would prefer "armies against armies" and who would prefer "the team against like 35 koloss"?
Mac

Postby Claincy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:31 am

I'm more interested in the armies version actually. More different than what we've done before.
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby jeremyguebert » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:20 am

I'd be okay with either, but I do have a slight preference towards the armies version.
jeremyguebert

Next

Return to Safehouse