Oh No, Not Again

Oh No, Not Again Safehouse

Moderator: Mac

Postby Herowannabe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:30 am

I voiced my opinions earlier, but just to be clear: while I would prefer the crew vs the world version, I am also perfectly happy with the armies version. Just don't be surprised if my character prefers a more... hands on... approach to spending time marshaling troops. I hope that's alright. ;)
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby bobbyboone » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:46 am

I wanted to figure out a character idea before jumping in, but now I've got one, so I'm in! Mac, what would you say to me having a weak/average powers character who just has like 4 Wolfhounds?

I'm leaning toward armies and rallying the town style.

Also, @Claincy, do you have a way to create random PCs? That would be really fun to use sometime!
bobbyboone

Postby Mac » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:20 pm

@ Hero: Yes, I definitely intend for there to be times for you guys to kick some serious ass on a very personal level. Have you ever played Dynasty Warriors? (My only experience is with the pastiche Hyrule Warriors.) basically two armies are duking it out. You, as a hero, charge around. You can slay a ton of minions to give your own minions an advantage, or you can take out enemy generals, or conquer individual points on the map which will give you specific bonuses.

I see this as similar to that, with a little more emphasis given to direct control of the actual armies. Basically, during set-up, which should hopefully go quickly, people will take actions (off the top of my head I'm thinking 3) which will provide the town with various bonuses, or perhaps special options. Then during combat I was thinking, each "beat" we'll have both armies make a number of rolls to wear down each other, depending on current army size, followed by some set-piece. Like, you've located one of the huge Koloss and he's isolated. You've got three beats to attack him before reinforcements arrive. If you manage to give him a Grave Wound, it demoralizes his armies and they get a negative. If you actually kill him that quickly, they get a far larger debuff. Then another quick shot as the armies wear each other down, and now we'll do like "night-time raid" or something, where you guys sneak out to try to sabotage their camp stores in the middle of the night, leading to possible desertions. Then another round of massive combat.

First army to run out of troops loses, or as the armies get smaller we might end up with more specific victory conditions to wrap things up. Just my general idea. Thoughts?
Mac

Postby Herowannabe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:20 pm

Sounds awesome!
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Mac » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:56 pm

I plan to allow for a ton of feedback. For set-up, everyone will get a number of rolls (finite, but a lot) to figure out what it is they want to do; there are some things I will allow and some I will simply say no, it's obvious from the start that this just isn't going to be effective. (I'm going to bribe the moon into landing on them!) I'm going to encourage other players to make rolls on your behalf to either also gain information to make your preparation more effective, or directly help the roll. All leading up to one big roll (or possibly a small series of rolls) to do the real prep work, which will end up determining how effective your trap/fortification/hiring a mercenary troupe whatever ends up being.

Then, like I said, the actual army-on-army conflict with setpiece battles. I plan to provoke a few, because you don't get to decide everything in war, but if there's something in particular you want to try, some mission you think will be especially effective, anything, no harm in at least checking with me to see if we can do it next.

Sound good? This weekend I'm gonna take a tally and see where we are, and if people are ready to start making characters. (I'm pretty sure people have posted this pretty well in the thread, I'm not asking anyone to post anything new, I just need to find the time to go through and collect it all.)
Mac

Postby Claincy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:50 am

@bobbyboone, not particularly, just gonna make it up as I go. (I did have a partially completed character generator app at one point, maybe one day I'll dig it up and finish it.)

I think I'll go standard with a couple of advancements.

Many edits incoming:
Powers 1-2 weak, 3-4 average, 5-6 strong
[dice]1d6[/dice]
..we can't roll in here.. :/
Nevermind then. Rolling real dice is more fun anyways :roll:
3 Average powers.

Attributes 1-3 weak, 4-6 strong
6 Strong.

Strongest Attribute 1-2 physique, 3-4 charm, 5-6 wits
3 charm

second strongest 1-3 physique, 4-6 wits
3 physique

Phys 3, Char 4, Wits 2 (heh)

Standings strongest 1-2 resources, 3-4 influence, 5-6 spirit
5 spirit

second strongest 1-3 resources, 4-6 influence
6 influence

spirit > influence > resources

spirit score 5 + 1d3
2, so 7

resources 2, influence 4, spirit 7

Now for the POWER. Hrm, so, 1-2 misting, 3-4 ferring, 5 koloss blooded, 6 kandra (cos why not)
3 ferring.

With the power from quadrant 1d4, 1 physical, 2 cognitive, 3 spiritual, 4 hybrid
2 cognitive (this is gonna be great :? )

1 zinc, 2 brass, 3 copper, 4 bronze
2 brass

So to some up. A firesoul ferring with
Attributes Standings Resiliences
Physique: 3 Resources: 2/2 Health: 5/5
Charm: 4 Influence: 4/4 Reputation: 8/8
Wits: 2 Spirit: 7/7 Willpower: 9/9

cool :o
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Mac » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:06 am

Sorry I never responded. Um, wolfhounds. Is that... is that a thing in any of the books? I don't know if this is an extension of something you've read or if you're breaking new ground. I'm not opposed to the idea categorically but there are a few questions I have. What would the wolfhound stats be?
Mac

Postby Claincy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 am

Well Vin got a wolfhound...sorta :P

Wolfhounds are props listed in the MAG, as pets. There is a stat block in the back of the book.

Attributes Standings Resiliences
phys 5, charm 4, wits 4
res 3, inf 2, spi 3
hea 8, rep 6, will 7
sharp teeth, keen sense of smell, fast runner, hunter, obedient
teeth (Damage+1; Touch/Touch; no metal)
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby bobbyboone » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:19 am

Yeah, @Claincy is correct, that's what I'm talking about. If you'd rather not deal with a character with a bunch of dogs, that would be okay, haha, it's just an idea I had! :D
bobbyboone

Postby Mac » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:52 am

No no, it's fine... I would just need to figure out the mechanics. If any of the more experienced Narrators would be kind enough to help me balance, that would be great.

So... I'm spitballing, here. Would each Hound count as a prop, then, if it's listed that way in the book?

The way I see it, you'll have a set list of commands. One of them, presumably, will be "attack that guy." You would not get to make individual choices for them regarding things like defense, that would all be set up beforehand. I'm thinking, any time they are attacked, they will defend with half their remaining dice pool. At a certain number, like 3, they stop splitting their dice pool and just take hits until they get to attack.

I'm going to have something in place so that if they take a physical Burden there's a chance they'll break training and run. Pretty low chance for Serious, bit higher for Grave. Something less than half for Grave, but even if they stay in the game, they will take some Willpower damage.

This is just off the top of my head, what does anyone thing? Others are more familiar with the game than I. Is this too many actions per round? Too little a chance of being combat effective? This is a safe space, there are no wrong answers.
Mac

PreviousNext

Return to Safehouse