Preparations: 1/3

Oh No, Not Again Action

Moderator: Mac

Postby Mac » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:35 am

Okay everyone! Post what you do. Post questions I can answer, things your characters would reasonably know. Post suggestions you might have. I might sometimes call for some sort of roll to see if you actually have that knowledge. Build a plan! Save the town!
Mac
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:07 am

Postby jeremyguebert » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:29 pm

I assume that we've been in town long enough to have a cursory knowledge of its defenses,
if any. Is there a wall? If so, what kind of wall is it? Do we know what direction the koloss are coming from?
jeremyguebert
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Postby Mac » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:24 pm

I thought I had posted the map but I haven't yet, and it's on my computer at home. In a few hours I will post it. It should give you a solid sense of where the Koloss are coming from and how other main terrain features are situated. Please feel free to suggest other things you'd like to see. Prolly gonna veto "bottomless pit of fire."

There are now only cursory defenses. There was a wall, which was basically just a fence, there to mark a border rather than defend. It has been hastily and poorly augmented with furniture, detritus, whatever people could find, shored up in the more wobbly spots with a bit of carpentry. It won't stop the koloss for more than a few seconds, but gives a pretty convenient place for troops to line up and rest their guns.
Mac
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:07 am

Postby Mac » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:45 pm

BEHOLD! The map.

Teriosin.png
Teriosin.png (20.5 KiB) Viewed 104 times
Mac
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:07 am

Postby jeremyguebert » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:40 pm

Alright. Since it appears that an attack is imminent, I am prioritizing surviving the first wave/assault before looking at more long-term siege type stuff.

Just to make sure I understand the map, we have:

- Koloss army to the north-west
- The village of Teriosin, surrounded by a fence/pallisade
- A railway heading south-east into the mountains
- A lake just north of the tracks
- Dirt road heading west-ish, starting south-west of the village

Assuming I'm right, I'm thinking that securing the lake for long-term water supply, and making sure the tracks stay clear for possible evacuation of civilians and incoming reinforcements are things we should keep in mind for the future.

For now, however:


Gunny makes a slow circuit of the town's perimeter, inspecting the defenses and making some short suggestions on how to prop up the wall for added defense, or how best to use the defenses to help line up shots with their guns. It's during this circuit that he realizes that some of the guns being used are of, shall we say, questionable quality, and some of the town's defenders don't even have that much.

Do I need a roll here? Let me know.

Gunny grumbles under his breath as he makes his way to his gunsmithing workshop. "What's the point of having a gun if it won't shoot straight? And if you're close enough to a rusting koloss to swing at it with a club, you're already ruined. He then gets to work, crafting some long-range Immerling 44 revolvers.

This is a resources roll with a challenge of 3 (2 for the gun + 1 for the long-range customization. I have 5 resources, +1 for Tinkerer, +1 for my Drive to "Arm the townsfolk". If one or more of those don't count, feel free to disregard the last one or two dice.
jeremyguebert rolled 7d6:
5, 6, 6, 4, 4, 4, 2


Nice. So, a result of 4, with two nudges, plus one free nudge from the Industrious Craftsman stunt. The free nudge automatically goes to creating another Immerling 44. If I'm reading the gunsmithing rules correctly (page 140, Alloy of Law supplement), I can use the additional nudges to create additional guns of difficulty 4 or less, so I'm adding two long-range Immerling multi-shot rifles. So that's two each of Immerling 44 and Immerling multi-shot rifles, all of which have the long-range customization.

Quietly satisfied with his quick work, Gunny makes another circuit around the town, this time dropping off the revolvers and rifles where he feels they'll do the most good.
jeremyguebert
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Postby Conquestor » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:07 am

Nice map! :D
Anyways, Zak starts pacing in his room about what to do, he suddenly thinks about how there are "mystical rock people" in the mountains. (He knows about them from a book he read) He writes a letter and sends someone to deliver it to them. It was a half a days ride to where they were at, and he tried to think of more ways to protect the town.
Rolling 8, 5 for influence, 1 for Politician, 1 for Connected, and 1 for Instantly Likable.
Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Conquestor rolled 8d6:
4, 4, 6, 1, 5, 3, 3, 2

I use the nudge to make them become more sympathetic to our cause, and arrive here more quickly.
Zak begins to walk around the town, trying to give people hope. He finally eeaches the wall, qnd notices how flimsy it is. "A strong breeze could knock the fence down, this wall will need to be reinforced." He walked back into the town to get some townspeople help him reinforce the wall with rocks and boulders.
Rolling 9 dice, 6 for my charm, 1 for Politician, 1 for Natural Leader, and 1 for Instantly Likable or Cool and Collected.
Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Conquestor rolled 9d6:
1, 1, 2, 5, 2, 1, 1, 3, 2

I have never seen so many ones in one roll, ever. This reinforced wall is either going to take a while to make, or is still going to be weak. :?
Conquestor
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:47 pm

Postby Mac » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:15 am

jeremyguebert wrote:Just to make sure I understand the map, we have:

- Koloss army to the north-west
- The village of Teriosin, surrounded by a fence/pallisade
- A railway heading south-east into the mountains
- A lake just north of the tracks
- Dirt road heading west-ish, starting south-west of the village


Pretty much. The railway is a simple track with a hand-cart, no locomotive. It leads from the village to the mine. The dirt road goes for miles and miles and miles before joining another dirt road just outside what used to be the furthest-out village in the roughs. It doesn't quite reach the borders of Teriosin,
it's a hike of about a mile before the road really starts.


I'm thinking that securing the lake for long-term water supply, and making sure the tracks stay clear for possible evacuation of civilians and incoming reinforcements are things we should keep in mind for the future.


The village does have a small well, and the military commanders of the village (two old guys who swear they once met some people who were in a fight over some farmland) aren't especially worried that the koloss will lay seige; a supply of water is always grand, but dehydration isn't likely to be a big factor. The tracks will be fine for evacuation to the mine, but reinforcements will not be coming from that direction.

Do I need a roll here? Let me know.


Only if you expect that to boost the defenses. If it's for flavor, don't worry about it. If it is a legit attempt to improve the defenses, you'll have to wait for the second round of prep. You can try to roll something now, if you'd like, to get a sense of how best to improve the defenses, or something similar.

If I'm reading the gunsmithing rules correctly (page 140, Alloy of Law supplement), I can use the additional nudges to create additional guns of difficulty 4 or less, so I'm adding two long-range Immerling multi-shot rifles. So that's two each of Immerling 44 and Immerling multi-shot rifles, all of which have the long-range customization.


I don't have the Alloy book with me, I will double-check when I get home. I don't know the gunsmithing rules especially well, off-hand. Anyone else wanna chime in?

dropping off the revolvers and rifles where he feels they'll do the most good.


So, the thing I need to know is, where will that be? Please refer to the "And in this corner..."
thread in the Safehouse, and let me know which troops you want to give your guns to. The long-range rifles will give the trait Well Armed* and the multi-shots will give Well Armed**. You can give them to troops which are already Well-Armed, but that will overwrite the trait, or give them to troops which aren't Well-Armed at all. If you'd prefer I will decide for you (i.e. you just give the guns to the people in charge of the Troops and they will distribute them) but I figured you'd want to decide where they go.


Conquestor wrote:he suddenly thinks about how there are "mystical rock people" in the mountains. (He knows about them from a book he read)


All right... so, when I mentioned this, I was mostly kidding. What I was trying to say was, I want you to be creative. I want you to put a bit more thought into it. You had initially just said "I'll ask for reinforcements" and I had hoped for something more specific. You can pick something that is naturally obvious from the books, or something a little "out there", and if you can justify it I'll even let you have mystical rock people from the mountains, though my initial reaction is to say that they don't really feel like they "fit" with Scadrial. But, I am going to make you do the legwork on this one. If you want to stick with the rock people, tell me who they are, how they exist, what they can do to help you fight, etc. Or come up with something else. Be creative! I'll use this roll on whatever you end up deciding.

He walked back into the town to get some townspeople help him reinforce the wall with rocks and boulders.


I'll save this for now; please note that you will get a total of three main rolls to prepare the town, and I wanted everyone to do their first one before people start doing their second. I'll keep this roll for when you try to reinforce the wall next time.
Mac
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:07 am

Postby jeremyguebert » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:04 pm

The railway is a simple track with a hand-cart, no locomotive. It leads from the village to the mine.


Ah, I see. Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Only if you expect that to boost the defenses. If it's for flavor, don't worry about it. If it is a legit attempt to improve the defenses, you'll have to wait for the second round of prep. You can try to roll something now, if you'd like, to get a sense of how best to improve the defenses, or something similar.


Okay. It will be mostly flavour for now. I will make a Wits roll to try and determine the best way to improve the defenses. Wits 6

Out of Character. Click to reveal.
jeremyguebert rolled 6d6:
5, 3, 2, 3, 1, 6


Okay, so 3 + one nudge. I'll take it. I'll leave it to you to determine how and how much that affects future defense-augmenting efforts.

So, the thing I need to know is, where will that be? Please refer to the "And in this corner..." thread in the Safehouse, and let me know which troops you want to give your guns to.


The long-range revolvers (Well Armed*) will go to 22 and 23, while the multi-shots (Well Armed**) will go to 7 and 11 (and get a Slurpee) - Gunny wants to arm everyone, but wants the best guns to go to the ones who know how to use them.
jeremyguebert
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Postby Conquestor » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Well, I suppose that means that my awful roll to attempt to try and improve the wall doesn't count! :D

I really want to somehow bring these "mystical rock people" into existence now.
So, the (Will now start calling them, MRP) MRP are really ancient, they've been around since the beginning of Scadrial. They are actually splinters of Preservation, there, general, goal being, protecting the world from outside threats, and studying this worlds magic. They mostly stay in the background, but have been known to intervene in things every once in a while. They can also listen and talk to Harmony, but are not under his influence or control. Zak happens to have a journal of someone coming across the MRP, and they have a map of where you might find them, as well as a bit of their history.

Is this good enough to bring the MRP into existence? :lol:


Zak walks around the town, talking to some of the people, trying to keep their hopes up. Suddenly, a group of concerned mothers come up and ask him if they are going to make it through this. He tells them, "Don't worry, we have plans and plenty of people protecting this place. It would be a miracle if the koloss are able to make it so far in", he says with a bit of humor in his voice, even though he knows that it will be a miracle for them to get out of this alive. The women go back to their homes, a little less worried and a bit more hopeful. "I sure hope that what I said was true", Zak says to himself, as he continues on his way.

If I can, I want to roll to keep the majority of people's morale up. Rolling 10 dice, 6 for Charm, 1 for Politician, 1 for Natural Leader, 1 for Cool and Collected, and 1 for Instantly Likable.
Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Conquestor rolled 10d6:
5, 1, 2, 6, 5, 3, 2, 6, 2, 3

Nice! A pair of fives and two nudges! :D So, I use the nudges to keep the morale up for as long as possible, and keep the people working.
Conquestor
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:47 pm

Postby Claincy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:52 am

Harmak spent some time wandering the town worrying that he might be completely useless and reconsidering whether he could possibly make his way out. After giving that possibility more consideration than he would care to admit Harmak focused back on the task at hand, trying to suppress the mental image of being devoured by koloss that was seeking to dominate his thoughts.

He briefly considered and dismissed a variety of implausible ideas. He didn't have the skill with firearms to help train others nor the knowledge to craft more weapons. He didn't trust much in his ability to inspire others and he didn't much fancy his chances of scouting out the koloss or leading the defence when the attack came. (Though he did enjoy a momentary day dream about a different version of himself with a more powerful ability bravely and magnificently leading a last stand against the koloss.)

Well, if he wasn't going to be very useful, perhaps he could find something that would be. This thought cheered him up a bit, he did after all have a knack for finding things, even if those things often got him in trouble afterwards. With this goal in mind he wandered with more of a purpose: seeking out the less travelled parts of Terionin and the surrounding area. Searching abandoned and incomplete buildings, nearby caves, anything that could potentially contain something of use. As he searched he thought to himself about what he could possibly find. A hidden stash of firearms would be just the thing. He thought. Perhaps one business venture or another that had intended to set itself up here had brought in supplies in advance (including, perhaps, weapons). Supposing that they had collapsed financially, fled when the danger of koloss became apparant or failed for any number of other reasons, they might not have taken everything with them. Or.. He considered, warming to this chain of thought. Perhaps there was a group of outlaws at some point who had a safehouse somewhere in or near the town. Daring desperados on the run from lawkeepers, hiding out at the edges of civilization.

So if you approve Mac I'd like to roll spirit to find such a convenient stash of weaponry or other useful odds and ends. :P Only thing I could think of to do with Harmak.

Spirit 8 + 1 for Discovery drive if you approve. If not I'll think of something else :P


Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Claincy rolled 9d6:
3, 4, 6, 6, 2, 3, 6, 3, 2
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator
 
Posts: 3237
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:55 am

Next

Return to Action


  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest