Sensational Yarns Skype session?

A place for General and Out of Game discussions.

Postby Herowannabe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:17 am

BillSmiley wrote:you guys have been talking about making a character and stuff... what are the limits/ restrictions of character building and should I buy the book to understand better what's going on?

EDIT: Also if anyone could briefly explain to me how to play a MAG session, that too would be great :)

If you don’t have them already, I would highly recommend getting at least the Mistborn Adventure Game book and at least consider getting the Alloy of Law supplement and the Masks of the Past supplement. You can get the PDFs for each of them for about $15 each on Crafty’s website. None of them are strictly required- we can teach you what you need to know as we go along- but it will make things easier if you are able to reference the book(s) yourself.

As for Character Creation, in the MAG it is based around answering 10 questions (plus a handful of sub-questions) about the character you have in mind. Here are the questions so you can start thinking about them:

Oh actually first it’s helpful to have an idea of what sort of crew we’re all a part of. These first 3 questions are for all of us to discuss here in the thread:

WHAT IS YOUR CREW’S COMMON CAUSE?

WHO IS YOUR CREW’S PRIMARY TARGET?

WHAT IS YOUR CREW’S PREFERRED METHOD?

And here are the 10 character questions to answer:

WHAT CONCEPT DO YOU HAVE IN MIND FOR YOUR CHARACTER?
(This should be something simple, generally just a couple words long. Something like “Twinborn thief,” or “Koloss-blooded gunslinger.” Keep your concept in mind as you answer the next questions)

1. WHY DID YOU JOIN THE CREW? (I.e. What is your purpose in joining the crew?)

2. HOW DID YOU LIVE BEFORE YOU JOINED THE CREW? (I.e. What was your job?)

3. WHAT SPECIAL SKILL DO YOU BRING TO THE CREW?

4. WHAT IS YOUR MOST DISTINCTIVE FEATURE? (For example, for Kelsier it would be something like "Always smiling," and for Vin it would probably be "small frame.")

5. HOW DO OTHER PEOPLE DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?

FOR 6, 7, & 8, RANK ONE OF THEM “STRONG,” ONE OF THEM "AVERAGE,” AND ONE OF THEM “WEAK." THEY MUST ALL BE DIFFERENT.

6. DO YOU HAVE ANY SPECIAL POWERS (LIKE MAGIC OR SHAPE-SHIFTING)?
(Strong = Twinborn or Compounder or Koloss-blooded Metalborn. Average = Misting, Ferring, Koloss-blooded, or Kandra. Weak = no powers)

7. ARE YOU ESPECIALLY FIT, SMART, OR CHARISMATIC?
(This affects how strong your starting Attributes are- Physique, Charm, & Wits)

8. ARE YOU WELL-OFF OR DO YOU STRUGGLE TO GET BY?
(This affects how strong your starting Standings are- Resources, Influence, & Spirit)

9. WHAT IS THE WORST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO YOU? (This is your Tragedy)

10. WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE IS YOUR ULTIMATE PURPOSE OR GOAL IN LIFE? (This is your Destiny)

Answering these questions will get you 90% of the way to having your character created. As you consider the questions, I suggest not letting yourself fall into the trap of making your character too 1-dimensional. For example, say I wanted to create a Lawman for Hire, and so I gave him the following traits (answers to questions 1-5)

Drive: Hunt down Criminals
Profession: Lawman for Hire
Specialty: quick draw
Feature: Rugged
Personality: Relentless

While he would be great at hunting down criminals, he wouldn’t actually be that interesting of a character to play. He’s far too focused on 1 thing. Compare him to Wax, Wayne, and Marasi. All three of them are also Lawmen, but their traits would be wildly different from my character up there, and that depth of character would make them far more interesting and fun to play (in my opinion).

As for playing an adventure... first let me ask: what sort of role playing experience have you had before, with the MAG or with any other systems?
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby BillSmiley » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:02 am

Thanks Hero for the explanation! I

As for the MAG books, I currently have the main one, the Terris: wrought of copper and the Alloy of Law supplement. I haven't read any of them though, but I'll be sure to start looking through them and get the Masks of the Past book.

I've never played a MAG before, but I have played a bit of Dungeons and dragons with my friends in the past ( Idk if it's relevant but anyways..)
BillSmiley

Postby Herowannabe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:59 am

Okay, great! So I would read through “book 1” in the MAG to familiarize yourself with the basic rules, and then skim through Alloy of Law just to get an idea of the new stuff added. Once you get an idea of what kind of character you want then you can go and read the relevant sections in MAG “book 2” and in the AOL supplement (for example, if you wanted to be a Tineye Gunsmith you could read the sections on Tin and on Gunsmith stunts).

So in my experience, D&D tends to lean more towards the game mechanics side of things, while the MAG is more Narrative-based. But other than that they are more similar than different.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:29 pm

I set up a forum for us to use, and created a poll so that we can pick which Yarn to do first. Everyone go take a look and vote for the Yarn(s) that you want to try. :)

You should be able to see the Safehouse subforum and a Crew subforum. If you can’t see them please let me know.

Whenever you’re ready to start making your character start a new thread in the Crew subforum and title it with your character’s name.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kurkistan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:34 pm

So... What are your thoughts on me reviving Sigurd? Maybe even reviving Speed Connection! with Kadrok?

As I mentioned last time I tried this, "Sig's a bit of a BS character reliant upon generous (cosmere-reasonable, but mechanically dubious) interpretation of the aElectrum rules", as a reminder.

Edit: The fun thing about Speed Connection! is that the "hired merc bodyguards" fits in as the muscle for essentially any Yarn, allowing other players to build social-spec'd characters without a fear of being casually murdered by the setting.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby boongeebee » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:42 pm

I would like to poll everyone and pin down the answers those three crew questions, as that will affect which kind of character I want to build.

WHAT IS YOUR CREW’S COMMON CAUSE? I would like to be criminals, but I'm not completely sold on that

WHO IS YOUR CREW’S PRIMARY TARGET? Everyone else? :D

WHAT IS YOUR CREW’S PREFERRED METHOD? Manipulation, with a secondary in violence.

I am really open to anything else, just wanted to get the ball rolling
boongeebee

Postby Kurkistan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:46 pm

I was thinking we'd figure out what Yarn we were going for first, since there's a fairly wide variety. Heck one of them...

Yarn synopsis spoilers:
Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Calls for us to all be kandra.

Though I suppose we could just build a generalist crew that could technically do all of the Yarns.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby boongeebee » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:30 am

So, with that idea would we create a different crew for each job? I would rather have one broad character than many specific ones, but I am not unwilling to do it the other way.
boongeebee

Postby Herowannabe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:35 am

I think we’ll just play it by ear. I imagine we’ll end up somewhere in between, with some characters carrying over from adventure to adventure and some drifting off while others take their places.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Sir Jerric » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Particularly if we pass around the Narrator role. One character drops out, another comes in.

Personally, I am on-board with high-stakes dramatic deaths as another means of keeping a one-shot feel.
Sir Jerric

PreviousNext

Return to Safehouse