Yarn #1

A place for General and Out of Game discussions.

Which Yarn(s) would you like to do first?

The 3rd Octant Squeeze (Mystery)
5%
Blood of the Survivor (Kandra Heist)
15%
Fire in the Blood, Ash in the Air (Diplomacy)
10%
Game of Guildmasters (Politics)
10%
The Hamlet of Hemalurgy (Mystery)
15%
Hostility in Harmony Hollow (Mystery)
10%
Outpost Assault (Action)
10%
Seekers of the Southlands (Exploration)
20%
They all sound great, pick one at random!
5%

Total votes: 20
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Yarn #1

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:22 pm

So, let’s decide on which Yarn we should do.

Once again, I encourage everyone NOT to read any of these Yarns. I have not read any of them yet, and will only read the one we select to play.

Vote for which Yarn(s) sound the most interesting to you by using the poll above. You can vote for as many of them as you want and you can change your votes at any time.

I’ve included just the names and type of adventure (Mystery, Heist, etc) in the poll above so you have a very vague idea of what each Yarn is like. If you’d like a little bit of a description of each adventure feel free to open the OOC box below, where I’ve invluded the short descriptions of each Yarn that are included in the book on page 138. I’m putting this in an OOC in case people want to avoid even the slight spoilers that these descriptions offer:
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
The 3rd Octant Squeeze (Mystery): With the help of a constable, get to the
bottom of a protection racket run by a pair of Allomancers (page 139).

Blood of the Survivor (Heist): As kandra, infiltrate a gang planning to steal relics of the Survivor and make sure they don’t succeed (page 145).

Fire in the Blood, Ash in the Air (Diplomacy): Bring resolution to a dispute in the Roughs that threatens to descend into violence between a union and a representative of Elendel businesses (page 151).

Game of Guildmasters (Politics): Get involved in a guild election, and influence or rig it in favor of your chosen faction (page 157).

The Hamlet of Hemalurgy (Mystery): In a small town, investigate a wild animal attack that turns out to be an abnormal, supernatural creature (page 163).

Hostility in Harmony Hollow (Mystery): Explore a Terris enclave and deal with the politics of its people while attempting to get to the bottom of a Terris-man’s disappearance (page 169).

Outpost Assault (Action): At the request of a kandra, retrieve a stolen book from an old Roughs fort occupied by outlaws (page 175).

Seekers of the Southlands (Exploration): Seek out a mysterious airship that crashed in the Basin, then interact with the bizarre crewmembers and look for the missing parts of the damaged vessel (page 183).
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Yarn #1

Post by Kadrok » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Ooooh, they sound cool. Question, are we working with base level characters here? 'Cause I think I'd want some AP behind me for the assault one. And how will we handle advancements between adventures? Like, will a character who takes part in multiple yarns potentially outgrow one who takes part in only a couple?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:22 am

Kadrok wrote:Ooooh, they sound cool. Question, are we working with base level characters here? 'Cause I think I'd want some AP behind me for the assault one. And how will we handle advancements between adventures? Like, will a character who takes part in multiple yarns potentially outgrow one who takes part in only a couple?

I was planning on doing my standard 10AP to start with. It just seems to help customize characters a bit. :)

I guess that will mainly be up to whoever Narrates in the future, but as far as I'm concerned players can continue using the same characters if they want to, or create new characters if they want to. I've narrated campaigns with characters of varying advancement levels and it wasn't ever a big issue. If characters start accumulating a bunch of AP, then Narrators should tweak the adventures accordingly by making challenges more challenging, villains more villainous, and throw in extra Extras. ;)

EDIT: Oh, I didn't fully answer your last question.

If one character begins growing a bit too powerful compared with the rest of the crew then it may be time to retire that character- at least for an adventure or two. I really don't think it will ever become a big problem, or rather, I would love it if these Skype sessions continue on long enough that it DOES become a big problem. That would be fantastic! :D

But if/when we get to that point there's a number of ways we can deal with it.
  • Tailor adventures to the party. i.e.: if there is one OP character an a bunch of newbies, the bad guys can be tweaked to also have one OP villain and a bunch of books, and characters can be given tasks that fit their skill sets.
  • Encourage the player to create a new character to use for an adventure or two. This shouldn't be too hard because of the variety of adventure types available to us. I doubt the uber-powerful steel compounding duelist that was created for the Assault yarn is going to be that useful in the Political yarn, for example.
  • Encourage the player to take a turn Narrating. If he's narrating, his character isn't gathering up more AP.
  • Get a particularly devious Narrator to kill off his character 3:D

EDIT2: By the way, if everyone could please post in this thread once they've voted, that would be great. I thought the poll would say who voted for what, but it doesn't, so I don't have any way of telling who has voted and who hasn't.
Sir Jerric

Post by Sir Jerric » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:43 am

I've voted.

Another option for "overpowered" characters, if someone does not want to be entirely rid of them, is sending them to that East Marches game that I've been working on. I was planning on having everyone enter as a base character, but I might be flexible on that if people ask nicely enough.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:24 am

"The Hamlet of Hemalurgy" *twitch* *twitch*

Ghost of Jastes Past: Do it, it is your destiny!

EDIT: Hell, most of these are ones I want to do second, lol.

EDIT 2: Okay, after careful consideration I withdrew my two votes for Hamlet of Hemalurgy and Seekers of the Southlands, and put one vote into Fire in the Blood, Ash in the Air. I like the sound of it as a first adventure because it sounds a lot less fantastical than the other two I want to play, and I think I'd like something tense but grounded to begin with. My ideal order would be Fire->Hamlet->Seekers, but that's based on pure speculation.
Kingsdaughter613

Post by Kingsdaughter613 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:37 am

I picked Seekers of the South, Hamlet of Hemalurgy, and the Harmony Hollow one. I like mysteries...
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:46 am

Mystery could be fun. What kind of character were you thinking?

Harmony Hollow would be an interesting one to take a Terris character into methinks.
Kingsdaughter613

Post by Kingsdaughter613 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:01 am

Well, since this is Masks of the Past, I wanted to play a South Scadrian. They are an option in MotP.

Though the MAG is wrong about their body temperature; they lack the ability to properly regulate their temperature, and probably have lower temperature norms to begin with. (After my daughter had encephalitis this happened to her. She had to be constantly warmed or she would have frozen to death in a warm room. Thankfully she’s gotten better, but she still needs to be bundled up in even slightly cool weather.)
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 am

Kingsdaughter613 wrote:Well, since this is Masks of the Past, I wanted to play a South Scadrian. They are an option in MotP.

Though the MAG is wrong about their body temperature; they lack the ability to properly regulate their temperature, and probably have lower temperature norms to begin with. (After my daughter had encephalitis this happened to her. She had to be constantly warmed or she would have frozen to death in a warm room. Thankfully she’s gotten better, but she still needs to be bundled up in even slightly cool weather.)
Wow fascinating! Not to diminish how difficult that must have been or treat your daughter’s health lightly, but that’s interesting. I had no idea that such a thing was even possible.

And yeah, it would not be the first time that the MAG got something wrong. ;) I’ve learned to take everything they say with a pinch of copper.
boongeebee

Post by boongeebee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:50 am

I have voted.
I think it would be interesting to play the ones that seem less combat oriented. I have played too many D&D sessions of the "Kill things and take their stuff" variety.
I would like the heist one or the political one.

Return to “Safehouse”