House Rules

A place for General and Out of Game discussions.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

House Rules

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:53 pm

This thread is for posting and discussing House Rules to use in our adventures. I will keep this first post updated with the house rules we are using.

Here is a list of the House Rules that I have used in the past, and which I feel are particular helpful in creating a fun and balanced gaming atmosphere. Some of them are additions to the rules, some of them change the rules, some of them are simply clarifications. Let me know if any of these stand out to you as being particularly fun/unfun.
Burdens and long breathers
During a Long Breather, characters with burdens are allowed to both gain Advancements and lessen one Burden if that Burden is not related to that advancement.
I.E. A broken arm would heal just as well while reading about herbs. Attributes can be increased while suffering a Ministry inquiry. Stunts can be gained while disheartened. Etc.

Called Shots
Called shots can be used to increase the outcome or level of burden inflicted by 1. Thus if you're successful in a called shot attack that does enough damage to inflict a Serious Burden, you can increase it to a Grave Burden (or from Grave to Mortal). This does not include death, loss of limb or other unrecoverable injury except where approved by the Narrator.

Steelpushing and Ironpulling other characters
Steelpushes and Ironpulls against other characters are always treated as Contests. Outside of Conflicts, the targeted character forms a pool according to normal Contest rules, generally using their Physique score, or their Iron/Steel score if applicable. .

During a Conflict, A character who anticipates their equipment being targeted by a Steelpush or Ironpull can declare an action that directly resists the Allomancer's action, placing the two into a Contest. The winner of the Contest has control over the effects of the Push/Pull, including who moves where, and has the privilege of spending nudges to deal damage or gain perks. A stalemate incurs one Complication against each side.

Without taking an action to achieve leverage, the targeted character may still spend Action and/or Defense dice to “defend” against the Steelpush/Ironpull, just like from a normal attack. However, in this situation if he beats the Allomancer he does not get any control over movement and may not spend nudges, though the Allomancer may still receive Complications from a failed roll, as per usual.

Regardless of the Dice Outcomes, the Narrator should remember that once an Iron or Steel action has been taken, something almost always moves, and narrate the results appropriately.

Upon successfully Steelpushing/Ironpulling someone: You may move the target character 1 step away/towards you (respectively) for each point of Outcome you achieved up to your Allomancy's range limit. Nudges may be spent for various perks, as per usual, including inflicting damage.

Feruchemical Gold
The system for tapping individual charges of Gold is replaced by the following:

Tapping a Goldmind causes you to regain Health at a faster rate. For each charge of Gold you tap, you regain 1 Health at the end of an hour, to a maximum of 5 Health per hour (for 5 charges). If you tap 6+ charges of Health, you instead regain 1 Health at the end of one minute, with each charge above 6 causing you to regain 1 additional Health, to a maximum of 4 Health per minute (for 9 charges).

Tapping 10+ charges of Gold works exactly as written in the book, but note that with Gold you only receive one of the benefits listed in the book (your choice), not all of them.

Metalminds
This list replaces the respective props listed in the Terris: Wrought of Copper supplement. Any props not listed here remain unchanged.

Metalminds (3, average) props: 1 difficulty: 3
Each metalmind allows a Feruchemist (only) to store in and tap from one metal: Brass, Bronze, Copper, Iron, Pewter, Steel, Tin, or Zinc; each single metalmind item consists of three physical metalminds such as bracers or leg-bands, each one made of a different metal and holding 100 charges

Metalminds (4, small) props: 1 difficulty: 3
As average metalminds, but includes 4 physical items such as bracelets or necklaces which each hold 50 charges

Metalminds (6, tiny) props: 1 difficulty: 3
As average metalminds, but includes 6 physical items such as rings or earrings which each hold 25 charges.

Metalminds (2, large) props: 1 difficulty: 4
As average metalminds, but includes 2 physical items such as ornamental plates which each hold 200 charges. Cannot be concealed.

Metalmind (1, huge) props: 2 difficulty: 4
As average metalminds, but includes 1 physical item such as a suit of ornamental armor which holds 500 charges. Cannot be concealed.

Multimind props: 1 difficulty: 4
Single metalmind with 5 different metals; can hold 30 charges of each metal contained

Nudges for Damage
In combat, when an attacker successfully strikes an opponent, he may only spend at most 1 nudge to deal extra damage.

-alternatively-
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
here is an alternate nudge-damage house rule I’ve heard has been used before, in case players would prefer to use this one. However, unless several people speak up and say so, we’re going to use the max 1 damage rule listed above.

In combat, when an attacker successfully strikes an opponent, it takes 2 spent nudges to deal +1 damage (instead of 1 nudge = 1 damage). (Note: this is because under the normal rules there is rarely ever a reason to NOT apply all of your nudges to damage, but that doesn’t make for particularly exciting fights. It’s much more interesting when you are using nudges to trip up your opponents or gain a slight edge next round.
Using Allomancy/Feruchemy in combat
Whenever a player wishes to burn / flare / stop burning an allomantic metal, she must declare doing so during Step 1 of Combat (Declaring Actions). Similarly, a Feruchemist who wishes to tap any metalminds must declare which metalminds she is tapping- and how many charges she is tapping- during Step 1, but she does not have to declare how she is spending those charges (ie: for extra dice, free nudges, increased Outcome, or other effects) Note: This helps to reign in the power of Feruchemists just a tad, but the main purpose is to make things much simpler- and thematic- when powers such as Atium are being used against the characters.

Personal Confuct During Games

Sir Jerric just posted an excellent summary of how he expects his session(s) to be handled, and I fully endorse it, so I’m adding here word for word:
Sir Jerric wrote:Hello.

That is how a conversation starts, right? :geek:

I expect you are reading this because you are considering joining the Skype group that I will be Narrating for. I'm going to use this thread to provide a few "table" expectations, in the hopes that the game can get underway faster.

I expect everyone to be polite. No cursing, no vulgarity, no innuendo, and nothing bolder than that either. I also support the 'x' card philosophy: if you are uncomfortable with anything, play the 'x' card, and I expect everyone at the table to drop the subject as if it never existed. We are here to have fun, and everyone should be comfortable with the content of the game.

Some people find violence uncomfortable. I do not care for outright gore, but I will cooperate with the level of violence found in Sanderson's books. Try not to push past that. If someone has a lower threshold, speak up. I am quite willing to be strict.

On the other hand, I am not all that experienced as a Narrator, and I welcome any feedback you may have after the session: anything you enjoyed, or anything I can improve.

This is a role-playing game, so you can do anything. As the Narrator, I'm going to be looking for the most plausible consequences to see how you deal with them. I like MAG for the fast and hard-hitting conflicts, and I love the Burden system. So you may want to be careful about picking fights. 3:D

This game is using the Mistborn Adventure Game, and your adventure will be set in Mistborn's Second Era, possibly slightly predating the Alloy of Law. However, I am not going to beholden myself to the canon of the novels. You are going to have the power to shape the world, so canon events are not expected to happen.

There are holes in our understanding of the Metallic Arts and the workings of the Cosmere. I have my own theories to fill those holes. You may look to the books for canon on how the magic will work in this game, but any holes in our current understanding are mine to have final say on. If my inventions contradict the the books--particularly future ones--I'm sorry, but Narrative fiat says I get to be right. ;)
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Re: House Rules

Post by Kurkistan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:22 pm

For Steelpushing/Ironpulling, I recall that we'd had some discussion about using Reactions to model those contests like Explosions are modeled in the AoL book:
AoL 125 wrote:Characters caught in the area of an explosion may attempt to escape damage
by making a Physique roll, reducing the damage suered by the Result, to a minimum of 0 (e.g., a Result of 3 on the Physique roll reduces the damage suffered by 3). During a Conict, this roll is considered a Reaction and used in place of the normal Defense roll (you may add Action or Defense Dice to this pool if you’d like, though you may not roll more than 10 dice, as usual).
Do we still want to stick with the current ruling, with needing to declare the defense explicitly if you want any "base dice" during combat?

--

Also which of the Nudge-damage rules are we going with? The 2-per-damage one or the "Alternatively"? Or both?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:42 pm

Re: Steelpushing and Ironpulling- after having tried out both ways, I much prefer the rules I laid out above. The free physique reaction method gives too much of an advantage to the defender, and makes it so that the Coinshot/Lurcher will never really have an advantage by pushing/pulling. With the method above, the defender has to actually spend action/defense dice if he doesn’t want to get flung about like a rag doll, which feels much more thematically appropriate to me.

Re: Combat Nudges: either method is fine by me (though given the choice I would prefer the first). I laid out both to see which one you guys would prefer.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:12 am

At first glance I prefer the “at most 1” ruling. If our goal is to stop massive spike damage from lucky rolls (or Feruchemy) then at does a better job. It also does a better job at making people use Nudges creatively in Conflicts by forcing them to, as if I’m sitting there with 6 Nudges I’m still probably just going to deal 3 extra damage.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:08 pm

I updated a couple things in the post above. First, I added Sir Jerric’s excellent summary of what he expects for player conduct. Second, I went ahead and made the “max of 1 damage from nudges” house rule the default, as Kurdistan suggested. Nobody else said anything one way or the other between the two variations, and Kurk made a good point about the end goal of the house rule.

Now, speaking of the 1 damage from nudges rule, I realize that it could potentially create situations where it is impossible for a character to damage another character with a normal attack. For example, if a character with a knife (1+1+1n = 3 max damage) tries to stab a character wearing full platemail (-3 damage). However, I think I’m okay with this. A character with a knife shouldn’t be able to hurt a character wearing Platemail using a normal attack. However, remember that you could always do a called shot to bypass the armor by aiming for a gap or eyeslit or Etc.

Lastly, Kurkistan raised a good question in his character thread about feruchemical Steel. How effective do we want it to be in gunplay? There’s no question that it helps in dodging bullets, but what about shooting at someone else? I’m curious what everyone thinks.

Right now, I’m kinda leaning towards saying that it doesn’t help directly with firing, but it does help with everything else: drawing, aiming (as in the special rules for taking an action to aim), activation order (shooting before someon with a higher dice pool), catching a beat to shoot more than once, quickly dashing around the battlefield, ducking behind cover and jumping out to fire, reloading, possibly “fanning” (I have to reread the rules for that to figure out how it would work), and so on.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:17 pm

To recap on the rationale for just letting people add fSteel dice to gun-fighting rolls, the argument is that being able to move/think/react faster benefits essentially every aspect of a gunfight besides how much force the bullet has behind it when it hits a person in the face. Breaking it down into draw/maneuver/etc. as viable without just letting you use the dice as other combat-Feruchemy can be used seems odd/convoluted from a simulationist perspective, then.
Kingsdaughter613

Post by Kingsdaughter613 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:39 pm

What if two players decide their characters are in a romantic relationship? Just what, specifically, is meant by innuendo? Where does flirting fall?

To use a Stormlight concept: could a character uncover her safe hand in front of a romantic partner? Can two characters share a tent? Can they kiss? Etc.

No innuendo is just really vague.

Also, are we allowed to use in world curses if it is in character to do so? Example: Rust’s, Harmony, Survivor, etc.
Sir Jerric

Post by Sir Jerric » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:38 am

Kingsdaughter613 wrote:... Just what, specifically, is meant by innuendo? ... No innuendo is just really vague.
Sir Jerric wrote:I expect everyone to be polite. No cursing, no vulgarity, no innuendo, and nothing bolder than that either.
Innuendo is "an allusive or oblique remark or hint, typically a suggestive or disparaging one". So "no innuendo" is a request that the players do not make allusions to, or oblique (indirect) remarks about "suggestive" matters. I personally have never used 'innuendo' to refer to insults, so let's ignore the "disparaging" portion of this definition. Given the rest of your questions, I believe we don't need to define "suggestive" to be on the same page in this discussion.

In addition to requesting "no innuendo", I followed the list with "and nothing bolder either". Effectively, I am asking that the players not use indirect remarks (as jokes or not) about sexual activity, and do not bring the subject up in direct terms either.

What if two players decide .... ?
Many of these questions are in regards to two player characters, but please remember that your Narrator is also playing the game with you. If two players want to explore anything (as a generality) during the role-play that has even a slight chance of being uncomfortable, talk it over together before bringing it up in character. If you are both fine with it, also mention the intent to explore the subject to the group as a whole. If there are still no objections, you may proceed. And if it goes too far at the table, step out of character and say something. Or play the 'x' card on it, if you would rather not explain. The goal is to have fun, not to stress people out.

Moving on to your specific examples:
What if two players decide their characters are in a romantic relationship?
There are many elements to romance beyond (or before) intimacy. If you want to explore those in character, you may, but be aware of the line you are going to be walking.

Where does flirting fall?
There are many types of flirting that do not involve excessive physical contact or making suggestive comments. If you wish to explore those in character, you may, but be aware of the line you are going to be walking.

To use a Stormlight concept: could a character uncover her safe hand in front of a romantic partner?
No. More on this later.

Can two characters share a tent?
I do not expect sleeping arrangements to be a part of the stories we are telling during these sessions. Do not bring it up.

Can they kiss?
I have no problems with mentions of a chaste kiss, such as between a mother and child. But outside that would be crossing the line, so do not bring it up.

Also, are we allowed to use in world curses if it is in character to do so? Example: Rust’s, Harmony, Survivor, etc.
These are all under the umbrella of cursing, whether that be obscenity or profanity. I do not like people saying offensive things and claiming that they are "just venting". It is a disgusting habit.

If--for some reason--you are desperate to role-play a character with such bad habits, I will not object to sentences like "I curse at the beast." or "A large number of expletives pour from my mouth." As the Narrator, I am forced to play all of the NPCs, and Mistborn is a setting in which an irritating number of people curse, so to maintain verisimilitude I may have to resort to the above kinds of phrases. I would prefer to not be forced into that position, but that is the best solution I have found outside of using a Homebrew setting.

If you have a question that you feel I haven't covered yet, you may ask. But for on-the-fly judgments, here is a test you can run it past: If you can imagine a character being shocked or embarrassed to witness the remark/action, it is probably over the line. That is why I led that paragraph with "be polite." If you can picture any character from any background or setting that would consider it impolite, someone in the role-playing group might also. Don't make them uncomfortable; help everyone have fun.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:06 am

Kingsdaughter613 wrote:What if two players decide their characters are in a romantic relationship? Just what, specifically, is meant by innuendo? Where does flirting fall?

To use a Stormlight concept: could a character uncover her safe hand in front of a romantic partner? Can two characters share a tent? Can they kiss? Etc.

No innuendo is just really vague.
Speaking for myself, I would say that everything you listed up above would be just fine, as long as it's described tastefully and/or happens "off screen." Generally speaking, I would say the level of innuendo in Brandon's novels is okay, with perhaps the exception of Wayne-levels of innuendo. Wayne is a tad too crass for my tastes. :oops:

And remember, as Sir Jerric suggested, if things do start to stray too far any player they can "play the 'x' card" without any judgements made towards any player. ;)
In world curses are absolutely fine, and I'm not bothered too much by the occasional mild real-world curse (emphasis on occasional).

Kurkistan wrote:To recap on the rationale for just letting people add fSteel dice to gun-fighting rolls, the argument is that being able to move/think/react faster benefits essentially every aspect of a gunfight besides how much force the bullet has behind it when it hits a person in the face. Breaking it down into draw/maneuver/etc. as viable without just letting you use the dice as other combat-Feruchemy can be used seems odd/convoluted from a simulationist perspective, then.
Alright, I'm on my computer now and have a few minutes, so I'll explain my rational a little bit along with citations from the source books. And before I begin, let me note that I am in no way married to these opinions- if popular opinion is something radically different then I'm perfectly happy to run with it. :) These are just my thoughts and musings at this point in time.

First, let's break down what extreme physical speed can and can't do in a gun fight. I already made a fairly comprehensive list of the Can's, so let's start with the Can'ts.

Physical speed does not directly help with:
making the bullet go any faster
holding a steady aim (yes it helps you aim in the sense that you have more relative time to set up the shot and fire, but at some point the amount of time you have to aim stops mattering, and it comes down to individual skill, technique, and steadiness. Genuine question: imagine a firing competition between a regular guy and a steel runner. Each can take as long as he wants to set up his shot, aim, and fire. What advantage(s), if any, does the steel runner have over the regular guy?).

Physical speed can directly help with:
drawing quickly - Modeled by the *Steelrunner Draw stunt
Aiming, as in the special rules for taking an action to aim (Alloy of Law supplement page 133). - Not currently modeled anywhere I see in the books, though it should be.
Shooting First - Already taken care of with the normal rules for tapping charges of steel to act as if you had a higher dice pool
Getting multiple shots off more quickly - This one is already modeled multiple ways of varying effectiveness/applicability:
  • 1. Spending nudges to catch a beat (though this depends on whether or not we allow steel charges to be applied to firing a gun)
    2. The *Steelrunner Shot stunt
    3. "Fanning," Admittedly, there is nothing that specifically says a steelrunner has any advantage when fanning, though they should.
Quickly dashing around the battlefield, ducking behind cover and jumping out to fire - both modeled by the normal rules for tapping 10+ charges to move extra steps during a beat.
Reloading quickly - Modeled by the *Steelrunner Reload stunt

*Granted, all the Steelrunner gunplay stunts are garbage (except for Steelrunner Reload- that one seems fine) IF you are of the opinion that Steelrunners can tap steel for the extra dice/nudges/outcome when firing guns. However the more I study the Alloy of Law supplement the more I'm convinced that Crafty did not intend you to be able to do that. Even if we say the regular feruchemy rules don't apply to combat, SR Draw and SR Shot are only marginally "okay" stunts, at best (tapping 20 charges of steel is a steep price to pay to make two 2-3 dice attacks in a round, which is statistically worse than making one 5-6 dice attack).

So, as I see it, there's two logical options:
A. We just say that normal feruchemy rules for gaining extra dice/nudges/outcome apply to firing a gun, accept that the steelrunner stunts are worse than useless, and leave it at that.

Or

B. We say that normal feruchemy rules do NOT apply to firing the gun, and we tweak/fix the following things:
1. Aiming
2. Fanning
3. the SR shot stunt

For Aiming, I propose the following stunt:

Steelrunner Aim: Your superhuman speed allows you to draw a bead on your target in a blink of an eye. You may tap 10 charges of Steel to Aim and fire in the same Beat, just as if you had Aimed in the previous beat (see page 133).
(Note, this is basically the same as the "Fast Aiming" stunt on page 137, except without the penalty of acting as if you had a smaller dice pool).

Fanning and the Steelrunner Shot Stunt can be taken care of in one fell swoop by tweaking the stunt:

Steelrunner Shot: You can unleash your blinding physical speed to fire a gun multiple times with a single action. By tapping 20 charges of physical speed, you can declare an additional attack using the same gun. These attacks may be against the same or different targets. Immediately after performing your first attack, perform your second attack. This is a Reaction (see the Mistborn Adventure Game, page 177), and grants you a number of dice for your Reaction roll equal to your Physique. You may add Action or Defense Dice to this pool if you’d like, though you may not roll more than 10 dice, as usual. While using this Stunt, you gain no benefits of Aiming with either attack.

You may use this stunt with a fanning attack, but if you do all of your attacks must be fanning attacks, and each one uses an additional 3 bullets.

You may take this stunt multiple times. Each time you take this stunt it allows you to perform 1 additional attack per round, though each additional attack still costs 20 charges of physical speed.

Well there you go, there are my thoughts. As per usual with me, I started out intending to write out my thoughts in a handful of minutes and ended up spending well over an hour instead. After having written it all out, honestly I'm undecided now.

On one hand, option A above is much simpler and easier to remember and use, though it makes Steelrunners far more powerful right out of the gate and it makes the steelrunner stunts worse than useless.

On the other hand, though I feel option B is more accurate to real life and leads to more interesting choices and gameplay, It's also more complicated in that there are more rules/stunts to remember.

There's something to be said for keeping things accurate and balanced but there's something to be said for keeping things sweet and simple, too. I'm not sure which I prefer more. I'm open to suggestions.
Kingsdaughter613

Post by Kingsdaughter613 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:15 am

I hope I’m in your group Hero, as I couldn’t play an authentic character that didn’t curse on occasion. Most people do, after all. Though since I plan to play a SoScad she’d curse in Yiddish anyway... (My thought is: different peoples; different Germanic dialects. And since I know a little Yiddish I’m going with that, if it’s okay.)

Return to “Safehouse”