Concept: Sublimating my daughter’s illness

Race: South Scadrian
People:Shafan
Cause: Discovery
Target: North Scadrial
Sex: Female
Height: 4”10
Weight: 125 ib
Average temp: 96 F (the mag does NOT understand how this works, so I’m ignoring it.)

Attributes: average
Physique:2
Charm:4
Wits:5
Standings: Strong
Resources:5
Influence:3
Spirit:5
Resiliances: Balanced
Health:7
Willpower:10

Drive: to understand the people that birthed the Sovreign
Profession: Pastry chef/chocolatier/confectioner
Specialty: Getting good deals
Feature: Ornate mask
Personality: Curious
Traits: 4 (2 inherent; 2 bonus)
Low Body Temp (again, the mag has this backwards)
Alien Culture
Scholar
Extrovert

Tragedy: Her best friend chose to follow the Path of the Sovreign and has not been seen since.

Powers: None inherent
With medallion: access to Gold and Brass Feruchemy of 3

Destiny: To build a home in the North

Equipment: 5 props + 1
P1&P2: universal medallion containing Fgold and Fbrass, both fully charged. The Nicrosil rings are also fully charged.
P3: Cold weather gear
P4: Sovreign’s coppercoin, worn under clothing; it is a religious object
P5: 2 Gold and one Brass bangles, capable of holding 100 charges each. (I’m not certain how much these are allowed to be charged.)
P6: A bag of artisan chocolates; can be used as sweet bribes

AP: 2
Northern Explorer
Cold Blooded

Backstory: Raisa is the eldest daughter in her family. She had previously traveled to the North as a journey woman confectioner. She has just become a master. The Shafan constantly move around, looking for new places to settle. Her younger sister is the Firemother in her group of emigrants, which was the impetus for Raisa to decide to move to the North permanently.
Last edited by Kingsdaughter613 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Raisa

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:15 am

A couple comments and answers to your questions:

Looks good so far!

Medallions (typically) grant you a power rating of 3, so you would put something like:
Feruchemical Brass: 3
Feruchemical Gold: 3
Your medallions can start completely full or empty or anywhere in between (as is appropriate- in this case, I'm sure you want them full).
I'll let you start with your other metalminds anywhere from empty to 1/2 full.

One comment: I just double checked the rules, in order to get by in the colder Northern weather you need 2 of the following: A charged brassmind, warm clothing, and/or the Cold-blooded stunt. Right now you have all 3, though you don't strictly need them. Also, you'll only NEED need them in cold winter-weather. You could get by just fine in Summer in the Basin, for example, though you'd still be inclined to dress warmer than the Northerners. But anyway, you have some flexibility to change some of your Props and/or stunts around.

For the sake of our story let's say that it takes place in Autumn- the weather is getting cooler but for now the snow is only up in the mountains.

EDIT: Also, it looks like you're missing your "speciality" trait.
Kingsdaughter613

Post by Kingsdaughter613 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:13 am

It should be by her base stats. Height, weight etc. it’s pastry chef/confectioner. Confectioner is probably more accurate.

How much of a charge do the Nicrosil rings have? Also, could I make one gold bangle full and the other empty? It just feels like it makes more sense that way.

I’m outfitting Raisa based on how she would outfit herself. She actually doesn’t tap Brass that often. It’s an emergency thing. And she always carries chocolates and the coppermind. She can’t actually remove her bangles; they were put on when she was an infant and her hand is now too big for her to remove them.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Kingsdaughter613 wrote:It should be by her base stats. Height, weight etc. it’s pastry chef/confectioner. Confectioner is probably more accurate.
Ah, there it is. It ought to be down by your other traits. I'll go ahead and edit your post and move it down by your other traits for you. ;) Right now it's basically identical to your Profession trait, so your one of them should probably be changed. "Confectioner/Chocolatier/Pastry Chef all fit the Occupation better than Speciality, which the MAG defines as the special skill that you bring to the crew (See the AoL supplement, page 77).

There's a little speech that I always give to new players creating characters for the first time, let's see if I can find it... Oh look, I already gave it to this group, in this post. But yeah, the gist of it is that it's more interesting to play a character with multiple facets and interests and skills then one who is only focused on one thing. Your character is already pretty unique and interesting, but still I would suggest considering making your specialty something separate from you chocolatier occupation. ;) I leave it up to you though.
Kingsdaughter613 wrote:How much of a charge do the Nicrosil rings have?
Crafty chose to model universal nicrosilminds as simply granting you the relative power while you're wearing it, without tracking any charges for the nicrosilmind. It's not how I would have done it, but it works and keeps things simple.
Kingsdaughter613 wrote:Also, could I make one gold bangle full and the other empty? It just feels like it makes more sense that way.
yeah that's fine.
Kingsdaughter613 wrote:She can’t actually remove her bangles; they were put on when she was an infant and her hand is now too big for her to remove them.
This seems a little odd, seeing as she doesn't have any powers innately- she gets them from her medallion. I'm not opposed to it, per se, I'm just curious as to the backstory reasoning for it.

Oh, one other thing I noticed: You should probably list your mask in your equipment. Looking at the Heroes and Rogues section in MotP, it looks like the mask is considered a prop, but I'll let you combine it with your "cold weather gear" (or replace it completely, seeing as you don't need it at the moment- the weather isn't cold enough for it. If you did then it wouldn't mean that you don't have any cold weather gear, just that you don't carry it around with you all the time).
Kingsdaughter613

Post by Kingsdaughter613 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:04 pm

I think I’ll consider the mask part of the gear. It seems odd to me that it would be considered a prop... I kind of viewed it as her ‘outer face.’

The bangles are actually based on, not exactly a custom, but a common practice among some groups of Sephardic Jewry. I’m pretty sure it actually originated from some other Middle Eastern group and was just adopted. Raisa uses her bangles for Feruchemy, but she wasn’t given them because of it. Her sister has the same set of 3, even though she lacks the gold medallion. The exact metals vary, though gold is the most common (as it’s pretty and doesn’t tarnish.) Jewelery customs are something that interests me.

I think in my head chocolatier -someone who makes chocolate- and a confectioner -someone who makes sweets- are two different things, as they are in RL. Not all Pastry chef’s are sugar artists. Most chocolatiers that I know are not confectioners. It’s actually three different skills that she’s been trained in. It’s like a savory chef and a pastry chef are two separate skill sets, and those with both are rarer than those with one.

I’m not certain how to reflect the difference between them in game play though. Maybe I’ll add Confectioner to her profession, but I’m not sure what would be a good specialty.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:36 pm

Your Profession/Specialties seem a bit redundant. Have you considered having some kind of social skill as your specialty? Something related to her role as a tradeswoman? Bartering, Reading People, an ability to relax others, something like that?
Kingsdaughter613

Post by Kingsdaughter613 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:39 pm

As I said, they are technically different. But I don’t mind switching it; I just needed ideas.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:44 pm

By the way, did you see the reference to your character in my backstory? Is that okay?
Kingsdaughter613

Post by Kingsdaughter613 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Basically. All the colonists speak the language though. It was part of the prep in coming here. I think it’s more likely that your character noticed her through her younger sister, who is a firemother. Your character may also have noticed that the Shafan do not revere the metalborn.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:22 pm

Okay, cool. Good to know.

Return to “The Crew”