boongeebee

Jon Mennes

Post by boongeebee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:15 am

Concept: Reformed Small-time Criminal

Crew: TBD
Name: Jon Mennes
Cause: TBD
Target: TBD
Method: TBD (Most likely trickery and deceit)

Race: Human
Sex: Male
Height: 5'-2"
Weight: 178

Attributes (Average)
Physique: 3
Charm: 3
Wits: 5

Standings (Weak)
Resources: 3
Influence: 2
Spirit: 4

Resiliences
Health: 6
Willpower: 9

Traits
Drive: Heed Harmony's Call
Profession: Mafia Urchin
Specialty: Danger Sense
Feature: Unremarkable
Personality: Overzealous
Other Traits:

Burdens:

Tragedy: Watched my best friend get killed

Destiny: Clean up crime in a town

Secrets known:

Powers: Nicrosil/Zinc Twinborn
Nicrosil Allomancy - 5
Zinc Feruchemy - 4

Stunts:
Multiple Targets (Nicrosil Allomancy)
Trace Shot (Zinc Feuchemy)

Equipment:
Pathist Earing
Twinborn Kit
Terringul 27

Advancements:

Backstory: (Still a work in progress)
As poor tenement kids Jon and his best friend (name to be determined later) got in the lower ranks of a local mafia to try to better their life. Jon kept his powers secret, waiting for a dramatic moment for the big reveal. Not too long after getting in his little group was set up by their superiors to take the fall against a rival gang. Jon barely made it out and watched him friend get gunned down.
Shortly after this eye opening experience he was contacted by one of the Faceless Immortals who gave him his earring and put him on the Path.
Now Jon is eager to prove himself to Harmony and change his ways.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Jon Mennes

Post by Herowannabe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:09 am

Looks good, but I’m curious- how is a street urchin getting ahold of Nicrosil- one of the rarest and most expensive metals? It would be like giving an urchin a “fine gold watch” as a prop. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing that he has Nicrosil, but rather, an opportunity for some interesting plot hooks... ;)

Maybe instead of his powers being a secret, the mafia organization keeps him supplied, but makes demands of him to pay for it...? Or maybe Jon stole a small supply of Nicrosil from them and now they’re hunting him down...?
boongeebee

Post by boongeebee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:01 pm

I am not opposed to a good plot hook. I like the idea that he stole some to even the score a bit. Will the scarcity of Nicrosil affect him getting his prop back during a long breather?
Is Nicrosil that difficult to get? It seems to have the same difficulty as the other metals for a resource challenge for a misting vial/pouch.
Last edited by boongeebee on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kingsdaughter613

Post by Kingsdaughter613 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:41 pm

It probably won’t effect this yarn, but the Southerners should have access to Nicrosil and Alluminum. Otherwise they couldn’t create more medallions. That could be a potential source in the future.
boongeebee

Post by boongeebee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:42 pm

True, but it's still available up north. I guess my question is how much real life are we putting into the game mechanics.
In the rulebook it seems that Nicrosil is as easy to get as any other metal.
In real life it would be much harder to get than the base metals.
Sir Jerric

Post by Sir Jerric » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:42 pm

It has been a while since I read the era two books, but I don't recall Nicrosil being all that expensive. It is basically just nickel with a little chromium (official allomantic recipe unknown). Cadmium and Bendalloy are expensive, due to complex refining and an elaborate alloy respectively.

In real life, brass is easier than zinc, and pure iron is almost ridiculously hard to achieve. Sometimes it is better to wave a hand and say "abstraction" than to look at the details.
Kingsdaughter613

Post by Kingsdaughter613 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:42 pm

Actually, Nicrosil is a nickel alloy. It’s actually formed from chromium, sometimes magnesium, and silicon, as well as nickel. Magnesium and silicon are the tricky ones. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicrosil
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:04 am

Fair points on the rarity of Nicrosil- I assumed it was like cadmium and bendalloy. But still, as far as beggar-economics go, almost any sort of Allomantically pure metal is going to be expensive enough to be essentially out of reach.

But stealing some Nicrosil works. :) as far as the prop is concerned, I treat it like you actually have a big chunk of Nicrosil stashed away somewhere, but you only have a vial or two worth of it that is readily accessible at any given time. Whenever you run out you take some time to shave off some more nicrosil with a file.

Return to “The Crew”