BillSmiley wrote:you guys have been talking about making a character and stuff... what are the limits/ restrictions of character building and should I buy the book to understand better what's going on?
EDIT: Also if anyone could briefly explain to me how to play a MAG session, that too would be great
If you don’t have them already, I would highly recommend getting at least the Mistborn Adventure Game book and at least consider getting the Alloy of Law supplement and the Masks of the Past supplement. You can get the PDFs for each of them for about $15 each on Crafty’s website. None of them are strictly required- we can teach you what you need to know as we go along- but it will make things easier if you are able to reference the book(s) yourself.
As for Character Creation, in the MAG it is based around answering 10 questions (plus a handful of sub-questions) about the character you have in mind. Here are the questions so you can start thinking about them:
Oh actually first it’s helpful to have an idea of what sort of crew we’re all a part of. These first 3 questions are for all of us to discuss here in the thread:
WHAT IS YOUR CREW’S COMMON CAUSE?
WHO IS YOUR CREW’S PRIMARY TARGET?
WHAT IS YOUR CREW’S PREFERRED METHOD?
And here are the 10 character questions to answer:
Answering these questions will get you 90% of the way to having your character created. As you consider the questions, I suggest not letting yourself fall into the trap of making your character too 1-dimensional. For example, say I wanted to create a Lawman for Hire, and so I gave him the following traits (answers to questions 1-5)WHAT CONCEPT DO YOU HAVE IN MIND FOR YOUR CHARACTER?
(This should be something simple, generally just a couple words long. Something like “Twinborn thief,” or “Koloss-blooded gunslinger.” Keep your concept in mind as you answer the next questions)
1. WHY DID YOU JOIN THE CREW? (I.e. What is your purpose in joining the crew?)
2. HOW DID YOU LIVE BEFORE YOU JOINED THE CREW? (I.e. What was your job?)
3. WHAT SPECIAL SKILL DO YOU BRING TO THE CREW?
4. WHAT IS YOUR MOST DISTINCTIVE FEATURE? (For example, for Kelsier it would be something like "Always smiling," and for Vin it would probably be "small frame.")
5. HOW DO OTHER PEOPLE DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
FOR 6, 7, & 8, RANK ONE OF THEM “STRONG,” ONE OF THEM "AVERAGE,” AND ONE OF THEM “WEAK." THEY MUST ALL BE DIFFERENT.
6. DO YOU HAVE ANY SPECIAL POWERS (LIKE MAGIC OR SHAPE-SHIFTING)?
(Strong = Twinborn or Compounder or Koloss-blooded Metalborn. Average = Misting, Ferring, Koloss-blooded, or Kandra. Weak = no powers)
7. ARE YOU ESPECIALLY FIT, SMART, OR CHARISMATIC?
(This affects how strong your starting Attributes are- Physique, Charm, & Wits)
8. ARE YOU WELL-OFF OR DO YOU STRUGGLE TO GET BY?
(This affects how strong your starting Standings are- Resources, Influence, & Spirit)
9. WHAT IS THE WORST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO YOU? (This is your Tragedy)
10. WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE IS YOUR ULTIMATE PURPOSE OR GOAL IN LIFE? (This is your Destiny)
Drive: Hunt down Criminals
Profession: Lawman for Hire
Specialty: quick draw
While he would be great at hunting down criminals, he wouldn’t actually be that interesting of a character to play. He’s far too focused on 1 thing. Compare him to Wax, Wayne, and Marasi. All three of them are also Lawmen, but their traits would be wildly different from my character up there, and that depth of character would make them far more interesting and fun to play (in my opinion).
As for playing an adventure... first let me ask: what sort of role playing experience have you had before, with the MAG or with any other systems?