Looking for players for . . . some game

Moderator: Bill Whitmore

Zath

Re: Looking for players for . . . some game

Post by Zath » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:16 pm

Bill Whitmore wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:14 pm
With Kurk and Hero dropping out and I still haven't heard from Kadrok, that leaves me with 4 so you are welcome to join, Zath.
Okay, thanks, but... @Kurkistan, you sure about ducking out? I don't want to join if that would preclude you and Kadrok from reviving your Speed Connection duo. We can give Kadrok some more time to respond- say, until the 16th or so- before marking me down as an official player or anything. (Sorry for complicating things, and thanks for being so willing to accommodate me)

tl;dr - Please give Speed Connection priority over me.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:18 pm

Zath wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:16 pm
Bill Whitmore wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:14 pm
With Kurk and Hero dropping out and I still haven't heard from Kadrok, that leaves me with 4 so you are welcome to join, Zath.
Okay, thanks, but... @Kurkistan, you sure about ducking out? I don't want to join if that would preclude you and Kadrok from reviving your Speed Connection duo. We can give Kadrok some more time to respond- say, until the 16th or so- before marking me down as an official player or anything. (Sorry for complicating things, and thanks for being so willing to accommodate me)

tl;dr - Please give Speed Connection priority over me.
I appreciate the offer. That said Hero's campaign has two slots open that nobody's claimed yet, so it's not like there's no room for Speed Connection!! to ride. If you want we'll give it a day for Kads to respond, but no need to wait on my account.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:07 am

Mac wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:32 am
EDIT EDIT EDIT: All that said, I never plan for my character to be all that good at combat. I can't imagine my Physique being above 2, or more than at most a single trait devoted to anything that would make him able to hurt anyone. I guess he could make a point to tap a ton of mental speed just for purposes of dodging a lot and be a pretty effective turtle. What about house-ruling, to make it less OP, that instead of the extra dice being for every reaction and defense, it's just a pool available for reaction and defense, so getting ganged up on is as bad for me as anyone else?
I actually kind of like that- I always felt it was kind of odd that Rules as Written fZinc was a powerful combat tool and only kind of offered some mental benefits, instead of the other way around.

That said, from a game mechanics perspective, if we house-ruled it that way then it would essentially be the feruchemist’s version of burning Electrum- both give you a handful of extra defense dice each round. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, I just wanted to point that out.

WashuRight wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:46 pm
Yikes this blew up quick while I was busy getting prepared for my switch to my over nights shift this week end! Woops! Gonna have to check up on here more often to keep on top of the discussion!
Yeah, if possible it’s a good idea to check the site about once per day. It really helps to keep the campaigns moving along. ;)
I am utterly ashamed to say I BARELY understand the games mechanics. And thats why I want to play as a new player. Because even just reading the base rule book as me going "???". I was reading through some campaigns and a lot of folks volunteer their own roles and do the math and I just feel utterly overwhelmed.

So all the talk of compounding and the house rules versus base rules flies right over my head. I'm gonna need my hand held through this first game, guys. Yikeroonis.
Yeah, as has been said, don’t worry about it too much. We’ll walk you through it. Even if you did have a perfect grasp of all the game mechanics as laid out in the books, there are a lot of little nuances and quirks we have while playing here on the site. Don’t stress yourself about them, you’ll get the hang of it soon enough. ;)

As for making a character: my advice is to not worry so much about what everyone else it playing, and definitely don’t worry about the game mechanics of running a particular character. Rather, start thinking about what kind of story you’re interesting in telling with your character. Does that make sense? Like, make a character whose background, personality, interests, hobbies, character-flaws, and etc are interesting to you.

(Side rant: The biggest difference between the MAG and your traditional RPGs like D&D is that the MAG has a much greater emphasis on the story, and that’s one of the things I love the most about it. With D&D, usually when you create a new character you roll your stats, see what you get, then (if you feel like it) come up with a backstory to explain why your character is the way he is. With the MAG, it’s completely reversed- you come up with the Character first, then use the details about your character’s personality, strengths, weaknesses, etc to go and fill in the stats. Likewise, your typical D&D adventure consists of setting out on an adventure and killing a bunch of bad things along the way. But with the MAG, the emphasis is all on crafting a story together- literally. That’s why things like “Tragedy” and “Destiny” are part of creating a character, and also why there are actually rules for progressing towards overcoming your Tragedy and fulfilling your Destiny, and whole chapters in the MAG dedicated to the story.)

So long story short (too late), what sort of character would you like to play and what sort of story do you want to tell? Do you want to play the Koloss-blood who ran away from his tribe as a youth and set out to prove that he could make it in the human world? Or maybe the grizzled gunsmith who feels he’s on the verge of making the next big breakthrough in weapons technology? Or take some of Brandon’s characters, for example. Wax- the nobleman turned lawkeeper, now forced back into high society. Wayne- the ex street-thief also turned lawkeeper, who loves to mimic people and accents. Marasi, the young criminology student who wants to stop crime, but who also enjoys being feminine and lady-like. Anyway, I’ve rambled long enough. You get the idea.

EDIT: Also, in case you missed it, I’m reviving an Era 1 campaign called Legends of Orulae. When we started it before we barely made it a handful of posts into the first scene, so for all intents and purposes it’s a brand new game. I’ve got room for a few new players, if you want to join in. We already have a Kandra on the team, but we could make room for another one if you have your heart set on playing an Era 1 Kandra. :kandra:
Sir Jerric

Post by Sir Jerric » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:53 am

WashuRight wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:46 pm
I am utterly ashamed to say I BARELY understand the games mechanics. And thats why I want to play as a new player. Because even just reading the base rule book as me going "???". I was reading through some campaigns and a lot of folks volunteer their own roles and do the math and I just feel utterly overwhelmed.

So all the talk of compounding and the house rules versus base rules flies right over my head. I'm gonna need my hand held through this first game, guys. Yikeroonis.
And as above, I also submit that you don't need to worry about the mechanics of this game. They are a little different than the TTRPG market-at-large, but the rules place the emphasis in the right places and mostly stay out of the way, and all of us will be happy to assist.

I just sat down with a newbie last night who said he was looking for a narrative-focused system. I showed him the basic spectrum of RPG systems inside an hour, ending with MAG. I admit to biasing the details of the presentation, but he walked away with a basic character built, a couple dice pools formed, rolled, and read, and a desire to play a game in full. (And he's never read Sanderson, as far as I know.)

I'd be happy to work with you anytime you have any questions. I explain games and rules all the time, and I have a fairly loose schedule during the next week or so if you want a detailed tutorial of some kind.

Personally, I'm thinking the "bad fit for their role" archetype sounds appealing right now. How does a copper ferring who hates reading sound? Instead of book knowledge, he wandered around the Basin taking temp jobs and interviewing people in all sorts of disciplines.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:05 am

Bill Whitmore wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:04 pm
Also, could I please get a moderator to set up a game forum for this titled "Black and White Security and Detective Agency"?

I think two sub forums for "Crew" and "HQ" should suffice to start.

Thanks!
I've created the subforum and moved this topic into HQ. :)
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:41 am

It's quiet so I step away for four days and suddenly everything happens. :D

I will gladly join any Speed Connection game. I'll let my good friend Sig/Kurk handle the details!
Mac

Post by Mac » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:42 am

I'm not quite as in love with the system as everyone else here but I will confirm it's way easier than you think. Everyone is right, start with a rough idea of what type of character you wanna play (it helps if you do think of what specific powers you want, if any, and don't feel like you need to take powers), if you work with someone to guide you it won't take more than 15 min to make a character, and then taking actions is barely more complicated than "pick one of the numbers on your sheet, maybe add a few to it, and that's your pool. Roll it (save some if you're in combat for defense) and announce your result."

One of the elements of this RPG focusing on the narrative is that character balance is entirely out of the window. I don't say that as a bad thing but it can come as a bit of a surprise, and mostly we just try to go with it. I just didn't want you to wonder why one character is mechanically useful most of the time and another much less so. With the emphasis on storytelling, it shouldn't really matter as much who is rolling the most dice.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 am

Kadrok wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:41 am

I will gladly join any Speed Connection game. I'll let my good friend Sig/Kurk handle the details!
Okay then Sate, it's time to live our Legend!!!
Last edited by Kurkistan on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:54 am

Kurkistan wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 am
Kadrok wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:41 am

Okay then Sate, it's time to live our Legend!!!
Wait no I lied. Forgot Hero's game was Era 1.

So this is the only Speed Connection!! game in town. Bill can I come crawling back?
-I'll still probably join Hero's campaign too, just not with Sate/Sig.
Mac

Post by Mac » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:44 am

P'raps I'll go in a different direction, then, if we've now got a zinc ferring.

So who all are the players? I think I've heard of four characters planned so far.

Sig (aElectrum/fSteel)
Sate (aIron/fZinc)
Some muscle-guy (Possibly a Koloss-blooded thug, who might be a gunsmith)
A copper ferring
Possibly a kandra

Which leaves... the big gap I see is for a social-type character. Which... I tend to get stuck with the social characters. Maybe I'll be a second strong-man? P'raps something at range to complement our melee fighter? Or some kind of tank? Pewter/gold or Iron/gold, to take all the hits? Honestly the main reason to avoid a simple Gold-Compounder is just that I don't wanna be a clone of Miles. I'll think about it.

He could still have political ambitions, his powers just won't be designed for that. Which isn't a bad thing. But, also, he'll have low Wits/Charm, which is prolly a bigger deal...

Return to “HQ”