Gauging Interest: Will of the Oligarchy

Advertisements for games in the making. Approved crews will be added to a new group, that will have its' own sub-forum.

Moderators: Kadrok, Gil-galad

Sir Jerric

Re: Gauging Interest: Will of the Oligarchy

Post by Sir Jerric » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:07 pm

Bill Whitmore wrote:For large scale production, you might also consider shipwrights. Anyone who can build quality ships is indispensable in the Southern Dominance.

It would also explain a high standings. During the gold rush, the people who made the most money were those who made shovels. And unless you want to be cur off from the sea, you don't piss off the guys who make all the warships.
I considered shipwrights. Afterall. Southern Dominance, port city--all things maritime leap to mind. But there is this writing principle about discarding the first few options that come to mind. And the first rule of GM-ing is to expect your players to do the unexpected.

Besides, the books tell us that the great Houses are the ones who can afford to build and pay the taxes on giant Keeps in Luthadel. If there is building being done by ambitious houses and Ministry cantons, then I shall have my piece of that pie. 3:D If I can simultaneously promote contracts that enrich my allies / suppliers, so much the better.

Besides, if there is a new great house moving in, they will almost certainly look to my house's services in establishing themselves. I shall have rich opportunities for gathering gossip and first hand information about their intentions.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:59 am

Plus it gives you the opportunity to build secret back doors into their systems, literally. ;)

Still uncertain if I'm going to participate in this one or not, but if I do I think my house will specialize in ore mining/processing. I figure it will be fun to play one of the houses that needs the shipping allies, rather than the other way around.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:18 am

Herowannabe wrote:Plus it gives you the opportunity to build secret back doors into their systems, literally. ;)

Still uncertain if I'm going to participate in this one or not, but if I do I think my house will specialize in ore mining/processing. I figure it will be fun to play one of the houses that needs the shipping allies, rather than the other way around.
Darn, we'll be business rivals.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:20 am

Or partners in a (shaky?) joint venture. That could have some fun ramifications. ;)

Or if you'd rather one house could mine and the other could process, giving us a much more mutually beneficial relationship.
Gargoyle

Post by Gargoyle » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:27 pm

Are Hazekillers a viable export?
Someone has to train them, and I can imagine a good hazekiller team would cost a lot.
I was thinking security in general, but I like the idea of a smaller, more specialized house, and I have a slight obsession with hazekillers.
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Only slight, mind you.
I could have asked to manufacture, say, waterspouts with cool faces like they have on really old cathedrals... I think they're called gargoyles or something? :shock:
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:45 pm

So a house who runs a Hazekiller Academy, two houses in a join venture producing Allomantic metals, and a House specializing in Manufacturing.
Bill Whitmore

Post by Bill Whitmore » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:48 pm

So you use your metal exports to identify which houses have allomancers, figure out who they oppose, then offer those opponents hazekiller services.

Sounds rather devious. 3:D
Sir Jerric

Post by Sir Jerric » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:58 pm

And I can recommend the local Hazekiller academy to clients who need extra manpower to run security for their new keeps / manors / estates / etc.
Gargoyle

Post by Gargoyle » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:07 am

Sir Jerric wrote:And I can recommend the local Hazekiller academy to clients who need extra manpower to run security for their new keeps / manors / estates / etc.
Yep! It's a specialized resource, and one often overlooked because it isn't goods or shipping, and people will go to lengths to make sure they're well guarded against others allomancers. It's generally a dangerous idea to get on the bad side of the people who train your elite soldiers.
Strigo

Post by Strigo » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:22 pm

Hmm. You still open to one more?

If so, my main idea is a shipwright house that was locally very powerful (and moving upwards to better things), but after a catastrophic fire of unknown origin (<cough> free plot hook <cough>), they're desperately struggling not to implode while attempting to maintain a facade of power and gravitas (I was looking at strong powers, average attributes (might 3, persuasiveness 4, networking 4), weak standings (capital 2, respect 4/5, karma 3/2)). Also pondering a behind the scenes power broker type house (networking through the roof, emphasis on spies and information trading, etc.), but I haven't really gone anywhere with that idea yet.

Return to “Recruitment”