School of Hard Knocks: An Alloy of Law Era Adventure; soon..

Advertisements for games in the making. Approved crews will be added to a new group, that will have its' own sub-forum.

Moderators: Kadrok, Gil-galad

Postby tecslicer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:14 pm

For now you can know that the characters will be faculty/staff or believably associated with the Elendel University, such that you could be called upon to be employed by them/be on retainer/or have it written into your contract, ect.
The adventure will be more combat/ problem solving, less typical heist story, so plan accordingly. I'm planning they will be a series of shorter adventures, with possible drop-in/drop-out as needed.

Also: This is one of my not-quite-cannon adventures If you are not comfortable with the odd bit of non-cannon thing (External Feruchemical metals, Allomancy inducing drugs, Zombies, Hemalurgic monstrocities, hemalurgic vampires, Ents, etc) do not submit your name for consideration. Thank you.

Coming... 6 of 7 ready... Preparing graphical assets... Absorbing supplemental data...

New Information Follows:

The auditions are now open. The rules are as follows:

1. you may submit no more than 2 characters for consideration. Please just post the name of the character and a link to the thread.
2. You may submit no more than 1 compounder.
3. I will only choose one of any player's characters, so nobody will be playing multiple characters.
4. I will be choosing the 4 or 5 starting characters at the end of the week, or after all the players, that I've heard want in, have posted their character/s.
5. Each character must be associated with the University in some way. The campaign will start as an in-house adventure only.
6. Since I intend the group to be made up of experts/masters of their field, please add 2 traits to your character. These traits should further hone the character's specialty not widen it to a jack of all trades. And you are not allowed to trade these traits for stunts.
7 Feel free to ask any questions you might have.
tecslicer
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Mac » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:59 pm

Mac

Postby Kadrok » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:12 pm

tecslicer wrote:5. Each character must be associated with the University in some way. The campaign will start as an in-house adventure only.

5. That means I get:

Sindren
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=732

and,

Saolin
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=649

6. Since I intend the group to be made up of experts/masters of their field, please add 2 traits to your character. These traits should further hone the character's specialty not widen it to a jack of all trades. And you are not allowed to trade these traits for stunts.
Here's where I run into trouble...

Sindren is just a student, not really positioned to be an expert/master of his field. Any suggestions? I am happy to skip the bonus entirely for him (or take an extra stunt instead if you're feeling generous). I'll give it some thought though, I may be able to finds some things you find appropriate. Perhaps I should give him a 'Physics Major' and a 'Philosophy Major'? (Both seem like they'd be of interest to him due to his Iron... Physics is obvious, Philosophy because of the way he's beginning to see the world and he burns Iron more and more frequently). This doesn't necessarily mean he's finished his degree... he's either still studying these majors, or he's finished them, but branched into a dual degree to muck about more before he graduates and has to deal with the real world.

Saolin... any chance I could convert 'Skilled Actor' as one of the two bonus field traits, and say he is adjunct for theatre as well? That would allow me to take another Smithing Stunt or something else. 'Talented Researcher' also feels right, given he's wandered the cosmere, presumably reading up on everywhere he's gone and so on...

I'll be taking suggestions for both.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kurkistan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:18 pm

So in regard to those extra Traits...

Are you sure I couldn't persuade you to make at least one a Stunt? ;) Looking at Simo and how gunplay works, his character build would be far more "expert/master" by getting "Marskmanshio" or something rather than just some "shoot better" trait.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:22 pm

Kadrok wrote:Saolin... any chance I could convert 'Skilled Actor' as one of the two bonus field traits, and say he is adjunct for theatre as well? That would allow me to take another Smithing Stunt or something else.
Kirk, if tec okays this, do you want me to take a particular Smithing stunt... I'm thinking your guy notes my guys interest in how guns work, and first short breather asks my guy to upgrade your gun...
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kurkistan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:48 pm

@Kads

An intriguing offer...

But honestly it isn't worth it for you. It's devilishly inefficient to pick up those "Customize Guns" Traits, and you'd need two of them to really satisfy Simo's interests: neither of which you-yourself would actually want to have.

If I were you (and even if I were me wanting to benefit from you) I'd pick up an ammo-making Stunt. Those are far far more versatile and could help out all the characters pretty easily, including yourself.

-Though even within that category Hollow Point is nearly worthless (anyone worth putting forth the extra effort to kill is going to be wearing armor, meaning that you get, at the least, the exact same benefit (1 more damage minimum from halving any amount of armor) by using Armor Piercing, + the ability to ricochet.

Hazekiller ammunition is nice and exotic, but... eh, I'd just go with Armor Piercing rounds as a rule if it were up to me, so I guess I'll vote "Create Custom Ammunition".
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:32 pm

Kurkistan wrote:@Kads

An intriguing offer...

But honestly it isn't worth it for you. It's devilishly inefficient to pick up those "Customize Guns" Traits, and you'd need two of them to really satisfy Simo's interests: neither of which you-yourself would actually want to have.
Lies... I want all of them eventually. Well maybe... Also, tinsights was one, what was the other?
If I were you (and even if I were me wanting to benefit from you) I'd pick up an ammo-making Stunt. Those are far far more versatile and could help out all the characters pretty easily, including yourself.
They're not that good are they? I suppose being able to make bullets fits with the reason for Saolin studying gunsmithery in the first place though... we could always compromise and have 'Extra Capacity' since that seems like a fairly universally useful mod.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kurkistan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:44 pm

Yeah, I had Tinsights and Long Range. But I won't need the Long Range if Tec buys that reloading should be a free action, as in that case I don't need the repeater to be effective—him buying it would also mean that Simo doesn't need extra capacity, since he can reload at instant speed.

Other than that I was seriously considering Perfect Balance, with Magnum Force trailing a bit behind there. My wild and crazy dreams were of throwing in Aluminum Frame (which also give infinite free aluminum bullets, in case you missed that), but the double-whammy hit to both range and damage hurts my soul.

---

Armor piercing halves all forms of armor: Oh look, a Koloss-blooded Pewter-burner with Denser Tissues 2 and <Koloss Denser Tissues> 2 and a leather duster (+1 damage absorption and halves the damage I can do with Hollow Point and anti-Pewter Hazekiller): total of 5 absorption . Oh wait, I meant 2. 3:D
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:00 am

Kurkistan wrote:Yeah, I had Tinsights and Long Range. But I won't need the Long Range if Tec buys that reloading should be a free action, as in that case I don't need the repeater to be effective—him buying it would also mean that Simo doesn't need extra capacity, since he can reload at instant speed.
Woah... why would reloading be a free action (I skipped a lot of your post)? Kind of makes the Steel guy's free reload stunt redundant...
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kurkistan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:16 am

Sorry, "free action if Simo's burning Bendalloy". It's a small attempt to align the whole "you have an order of magnitude more time to act than everyone else" with the game's rules in a non-broken way.

I'd considered that redundancy might be an issue, but honestly so long as it's not obsolescence and its not within the same metal I think it's fine. A lot of powers have overlapping competencies (there's even a gun stunt that lets you make a roll to reload without taking a beat); and you'll forgive me if I don't have much pity in my heart for that poor poor aBendalloy/fSteel character who doesn't need to pick up the reloading Stunt on his way to dominating space, time, and motion. :P
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Next

Return to Recruitment