Tyranny's Ascent

Advertisements for games in the making. Approved crews will be added to a new group, that will have its' own sub-forum.

Moderators: Kadrok, Gil-galad

Postby Strigo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:23 am

Hah. I read, "Narrator's notes should be visible to everyone except Mac."

I was terribly confused.

In other news, I'm super busy for a day or two here, but I should have a finished character sheet draft (and revised backstory) up within a few days.
Strigo

Postby Claincy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:31 am

Strigo wrote:Hah. I read, "Narrator's notes should be visible to everyone except Mac."

Narrator's notes is a place for the players to talk behind the narrator's back. Didn't you know? ;)
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Strigo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:21 am

Heeeey, that's not a bad idea! Kad, you should make a player* lounge! Mac will never even know if you actually did XD

* Or is that plotting lounge?
Strigo

Postby Mac » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:20 am

Strigo wrote:Kad, you should make a player* lounge! Mac will never even know if you actually did XD

I see rocks falling in your future...
Mac

Postby Strigo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:30 pm

Strigo

Postby Mac » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:53 pm

I realize it looks as though I've sorta dropped off the map recently. I assure you, I'm working furiously at my home computer, coming up with all the information, deciding how much of it to put up on the wiki. I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see what I eventually produce for you, and even more so when you realize it doesn't include my secret GM notes. (Yes, there's a place on each page of the wiki for secret GM notes, and there's not a place for the players to talk about me behind my back.)
Mac

Postby Mac » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:05 pm

I need help from my minions! (Kad, I'm seriously looking at you on this one). What is the political reality of Terris at this point? A king? A ruler? A ruling council? Also, since I doubt a specific name is mentioned for this exact moment in history, would you pick a nice Terris name for me?
Mac

Postby Strigo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:29 pm

Wrought of Copper says:

Out of Character. Click to reveal.
After the Lord Ruler’s Ascension, everything changed for the people of Terris.
The Deepness was defeated, but the world was not saved. Thundering volcanoes
rose, blotting out the sun with ash. The Feruchemists disappeared seemingly
into thin air, and strange formless creatures appeared in the deep of the night
to prowl the mists. And one by one, the ancient kingdoms fell before the Lord
Ruler’s legions of blue-skinned barbarians, powerful Allomancers, and armored
soldiers. The old order was undone, and a new Final Empire rose in its place.
With the Worldbringers vanquished along with all the warrior Feruchemists, Terris
found itself without its greatest sources of spiritual and fighting strength, and
for two hundred years the nation fell into decline, crushed beneath the yoke of
oppression and Dominance.
In the third century after his Ascension, the Lord Ruler suddenly marched
on Terris. His armies engaged in a brutal campaign of conquest: villages that
resisted were razed to the ground, and thousands died defending their homes and
families. Soldiers hunted down and purged Terris’ remaining warriors wherever
they found them, leaving the slain to rot in mass graves as a warning to all who
would resist.
The march continued into Tathingdwen, the last center of armed resistance,
where a relentless siege was laid to break the restive kingdom. The hallowed
Library of Tathingdwen was burned during the assault and with it centuries of
knowledge were turned to ash. Tens of thousands starved or died of disease. Eventually,
the city surrendered, its leaders were put to the sword, and the back of the
Terris resistance was broken. The Lord Ruler’s domination was complete.

I see the word kingdom in there, though it's pretty vague about the details.

As for names... uh...

<fiddles with tables>

Tashath, Tradwen, Delrazad, Fisdan, or Bekwyl for kings, or Adshen, Tamwyl, Razhara, or Elesath for queens.

I figure that with eight names there's a statistically significant chance of at least one of them being considered decent by multiple people :roll:

EDIT: I had five guys and four girls! Argh! I failed to balance them, AND I failed to count them. Add Liryl to the list of queen names and let me live out my shame in peace >.<

(Among the rejected list was the hilariously named King Fiskwyl, which isn't that bad until you realize that you've essentially just named a character King Fiscal, King Farteth (which was just immature on my part), and King Hadrun, which was a deliberate attempt at abusing the system. On that note, I now want to make a Terris Iron Compounder named Hadrun the Collider. Damn, that'd be awesome... Actually, seriously, could I do that for the 1900s game?)
Strigo

Postby Kadrok » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:42 pm

Here's some more from the Pre-Ascension stuff:
WoC page 13, 14 wrote:While no one is certain exactly how old the Terris culture is, the history of Terris starts more than a thousand years ago, prior to the arrival of the Lord Ruler and his Final Empire. In those first days, the Terris people were a free and independent mountain kingdom, with a proud military, political influence, and the inherited skill of Feruchemy. Though not particularly powerful, Terris’s scholarly and mystical legacy made them a distinct member of Scadrial’s fourteen ancient lands.
Chief among the pre-Ascension Terris leaders were the Worldbringers, a sect of religious philosophers and teachers who committed their lives to scholarship. Most Worldbringers were also Feruchemists, and used their abilities to preserve their knowledge for posterity in their copperminds. They moved about the ancient Terris lands, sharing with the scattered communities the fruits of their studies to the benefit of all.
And here are some relevant sections from the origins of the Synod from page 51:
WoC wrote:The Terris Synod is a group of twenty elder Keepers who serve as the organization’s leadership, as well as a Terris “government-in-exile.” Formed in the early days of the Lord Ruler’s occupation of Terris, the Synod committed itself to ensuring that Feruchemy did not die out, that the Worldbringers’ tradition of gathering and storing knowledge would continue, and that Terris culture would survive the Final Empire.
[...]
Synod members are recruited from active Keepers without regard to gender or area of knowledge; faithful adherence to the Synod’s mission and the doctrines of secrecy and non-intervention are the only requirements [...] Replacements are nominated and voted on by members; those elected are elevated to the rank of imhad, or elder, and pave the way for the organization’s next generation.

They're called a Kingdom above, which technically implies a King, but if I had to guess I'd say they actually had a ruling council of Worldbringers (pre-ascension), with a system of town/village chiefs running the relatively independent scattered villages in the absense of the Worldbringers, kind of like the Synod system. Afterall, when you're ruled by wandering scholars you need someone hanging around to actually do the primary ruling, especially as they're several scattered villages/towns rather than consolidated. I would think the Worldbringers were centralized on Tathingdwen, probably because of the great library, but would move around the communities overseeing local Mayors/Chiefs/etc.

Post ascension the higher leadership has all disappeared, but I would think the town/village chiefs would remain, or at very least that political system. I can see someone trying to set up a new council in the absense of the first Worldbringers to oversee the villages. Whether or not that is successful...
WoC page 14 wrote:With the Worldbringers vanquished along with all the warrior Feruchemists, Terris
found itself without its greatest sources of spiritual and fighting strength, and for two hundred years the nation fell into decline, crushed beneath the yoke of oppression and Dominance.
Note that this passage is post-Ascension, but pre-Conquest. Okay, so maybe the attempt to re-establish a council doesn't work, or maybe the council is oppressive. Either way, it doesn't look good for the Terris. I can see it being quite fractured, perhaps with a Council in Tathingdwen that is trying to control several smaller fiefs ruled over by squabbling chieftains. That would be my guess. Damn :(
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Mac » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:58 pm

Well, keep in mind that "decline" in this case can mean anything short of a thriving and robust nation. It doesn't automatically have to mean complete anarchy.

Any chance you can cross-pollinate these data to the Historical section in General? Thank you!

And there's no problem with a mob-era Iron Collider, whatever you name him.
Mac

PreviousNext

Return to Recruitment