Bren Stewyrt - Hemalurgic Pseudo-Twinborn

Ruin Raisers Character Sheets

Moderator: Der Alleskrieg

Postby Herowannabe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:03 pm

@Cabochard: First off, I love the backstory! 3:D

Cabochard wrote:Der Alleskrieg wrote:
Oh, and did you realize that your hemalurgic spike could serve as an average-sized metalmind (or maybe even a large one judging by your description)?

I hadn't thought of that, for some reason, but it's an awesome coincidence. Size-wise, I figured around Inquisitor-size (1 inch wide at the top, 5-6 inches long, long enough for a tiny bit to poke out the back), but I don't know how much storage that would give (I figure about average, but I thought I'd clarify and ask).

If you look at the Rogues gallery in the MAG you'll see that the Inquisitors do exactly that- use their gold spike as a metalmind. It's listed as an average (100-charge) sized metalmind. However, if you were to do that it should probably be considered as part of a prop- perhaps your twinborn kit.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Name: Kurz

asr :
Phy: 7 -- Res: 3/3 -- Hea: 12/12

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 5/5

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 4/4 -- Wil: 8/8
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Regain former position within my tribe
Profession: Bodyguard
Specialty: Wilderness Survival
Feature: Koloss Tattoos
Personality: Resentful
PowersPowersPowersKoloss-blooded: +1 physique (max of 7), +2D with rolls involving physical strength

-Dense Muscle: Kurz's muscles are especially tough as well as being exceedingly strong. He suffers 1 less damage from physical attacks.

-Tough: Kurz is exceedingly durable, his Health is permanently increased by 2.

-Multi-Attack: If Kurz is wielding a large weapon (such as his Koloss Blade), he can use it to attack several people at once, as long as they are all within range. You may make a multi-attack against as many targets as the total damage bonus of the weapon (e.g. 4 targets for a Koloss blade). When making a multi-attack, make a single attack roll which each target must defend against individually. Targets who are hit suffer 1 point of damage +1 per nudge spent.
InventoryInventoryInventory(PP) Koloss Blade: +4 Damage, striking/striking. Etched with symbols from Kurz's former tribe.
(P) Bottle of Rotgut: Good for dulling painful memories.

ap: 5

Postby Der Alleskrieg » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:07 pm

Cabochard wrote:Yeah, I'd been going off of the book's examples for metalminds of each size.

Der Alleskrieg wrote:Oh, and did you realize that your hemalurgic spike could serve as an average-sized metalmind (or maybe even a large one judging by your description)?

I hadn't thought of that, for some reason, but it's an awesome coincidence. Size-wise, I figured around Inquisitor-size (1 inch wide at the top, 5-6 inches long, long enough for a tiny bit to poke out the back), but I don't know how much storage that would give (I figure about average, but I thought I'd clarify and ask).

Der Alleskrieg wrote:I've said it now, and I'm probably going to mention it on the recruitment thread, but he doesn't seem quite villainous enough.

I was a bit worried he'd be too heroic, but I have thought about it and present a revised (or really just, expanded) version of his backstory!

Bren would have been brought out into the Roughs around his teenage years (I'd say 15-16), as part of a mining effort to exploit a vein of some metal found out there. I'm gonna keep the details vague because I'm not 100% sure if this works, but the idea is that, not long (a year or so) after the mining started, the vein dried up and the people who'd been funding the town found themselves without the money to pay for further supplies, or even to get the people back home, and all the miners and their families were left out in the lurch. They would have probably tried to pull together and figure something out, maybe looking for other veins that had been missed, but eventually Bren and some of the others would have turned to banditry to make ends meet (it's even possible that came after losing some of his family to starvation or disease). At this point he'd probably be 17-18.

Bren would have played the rationalization game - "It's fine to hold up a train at gunpoint, I'm not going to hurt anyone!" becomes "It's fine to shoot the guard, he was going to shoot me!" becomes "I've got to intimidate them into staying quiet, and sometimes that means shooting someone as an example." While originally banditry would have been considered a temporary thing until they found another way to make money, eventually he and his crew would've just stuck to it as "the way things are now". By this point he'd be about 19, I figure.

This would be when he'd have been grabbed. My thought is that he and his boys ran across another bandit crew after a bad skirmish with some lawmakers. The other crew was getting payed by a cult to collect living people for the cult to work on, and with Bren's people in a bad way they would make an easy target. Cue another short skirmish and Bren and his crew end up in the cult's dungeon-type place. I think Bren would have spent a fair amount of time there - I'll say a month. That's a month of amateurs trying to figure out hemalurgy - sticking spikes of all kinds into all sorts of places, and getting annoyed when it doesn't work. By the end, through luck and sheer willpower, Bren would have been the only survivor. Then, he got "lucky" enough for them to finally get it right, and get a steel spike in his heart in just the right set of circumstances.

Since they finally had a successful go, they probably just tossed him into his cell (after testing his Allomancy) and went off to celebrate. Of course, they didn't realize one thing - they jabbed a big piece of steel into a steelrunner's chest. After a few days of getting paraded around, he'd gathered enough speed to make a break for it, and escape back out into the open. After that, it was just a question of successfully evading their hunters (which he could now see from a fair distance away and outrun).

In the end, I think he'd bear a pretty big grudge against the nobles - some of them abandoned his people as a kid, and then later another group kidnapped and tortured him and his friends (without knowing what Hemalurgy is, he just figures it was some twisted torture ritual that caused him to Snap into being a full twinborn). That grudge, combined with someone who'd already almost rationalized murder, and the "natural" instability that comes with hemalurgy, results in someone who just clumps all nobles together into one monstrous group, and sees robbing and killing them to be about fair retribution.

Hopefully that works better.

Yes, it does! I love that backstory. It's wonderfully twisted, and I think he's going to fit right in!

Herowannabe wrote:If you look at the Rogues gallery in the MAG you'll see that the Inquisitors do exactly that- use their gold spike as a metalmind. It's listed as an average (100-charge) sized metalmind. However, if you were to do that it should probably be considered as part of a prop- perhaps your twinborn kit.

I think it's okay if he gets an extra metalmind from the spike. If it doesn't go that well, we can just have him "lose" it or something during a long breather.
Last edited by Der Alleskrieg on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Der Alleskrieg

Narrator

Postby Cabochard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Der Alleskrieg wrote:
Cabochard wrote:
Hopefully that works better.

Yes, it does! I love that backstory. It's wonderfully twisted, and I think he's going to fit right in!

Excellent! That'll be it, then, and I'm making a few adjustments to the sheet itself to make it fit.

Herowannabe wrote:
Cabochard wrote:Der Alleskrieg wrote:
Oh, and did you realize that your hemalurgic spike could serve as an average-sized metalmind (or maybe even a large one judging by your description)?

If you look at the Rogues gallery in the MAG you'll see that the Inquisitors do exactly that- use their gold spike as a metalmind. It's listed as an average (100-charge) sized metalmind. However, if you were to do that it should probably be considered as part of a prop- perhaps your twinborn kit.

That makes sense. What I'll do, is make it the twinborn kit one, and then make the others into two leg bracers and 1 necklace metalmind, to keep them spread out (and maintain symmetry).

Edit: I ended up cutting it down, switching the twinborn kit for just a misting pouch of Tin and making the spike extra, since Alleskrieg said he was fine with it being extra.
Cabochard

Name: Bren

asr :
Phy: 4 -- Res: 3/3 -- Hea: 7/7

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 1/2 -- Rep: 6/6

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 8/8
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Revenge Against the Nobility
Profession: Bandit
Specialty: Danger Sense
Feature: Scarred
Personality: Unstable
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy
Tin 5 (Hemalurgic Spike [Steel])

Feruchemy
Steel 5
-Steelrunner Reload
Charges
Left Leg Steel Bracer: -/100
Steel Spike: -/100
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Twinborn's Kit
-1 Average-Size Steelmind (Left Leg) - Capacity: 100
-1 Misting Vial - Contains 3 charges of Tin.
(PP) Terringul Ripper Automatic Pistol - Damage +1; Ammo: 12 shots or 1 Salvo; Range: Close/Medium
(N/A) 1 Hemalurgic Steel Spike through the heart - Grants Tin Allomancy 5; holds 100 charges of Speed.

ap: 2

Postby Zath » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:35 pm

From the Action thread, Chapter 1 Part 1 - The Urvan Mine Job:
Kadrok wrote:She turns to Bren "I guess we can finally talk. Your parents say 'Hi'. You should write your mother more. Now that that's over with we have work to do.

Cabochard wrote:Bren scrunches up his face as he processes. Why did everyone always have to talk so fast, anyway? When, finally, it sinks in, he grins at Abby. "I was gonna say the same. 'Cept replace 'your mother' with 'my mom'." He lets out a sharp laugh, then starts looking around.

Reading this, I had a thought about the Bren-Abby dynamic. @Cabochard, from your backstory it seems clear that Bren has been basically on his own for at least a few years. Are his parents still alive? Even if they are, they obviously haven't been a big part of his life recently, and Bren has had to "grow up" a lot faster and more harshly than he would have if his parents had been there for him. With that background, I can easily imagine that Bren had been secretly hoping (maybe even subconsciously hoping) that Abby would be a mother-figure / guardian to him once he joined the Scorchers. If that was the case, and then the above brusque exchange between him and Abby happened... Oh man, that would have felt like a spike through his heart- again.

Anyways, I just thought that that would be a great opportunity to delve deeper into your character's psyche (not that you'd want to go too deeply, of course-- he is "Unstable" and violent, after all ;) ) and figured I'd say something. Does Bren start to feel resentment towards Abby for her failing to live up to his expectations? Does Bren admire her detachment from familial connections, seeing it as a strength, and is then ashamed to realize that he'd put so much stock in those same connections? There's so many story possibilities for you and Kadrok to explore.

Ok, I've had my say, I'm done. :oops: :geek: ;)
Zath

Name: Chaff

asr :
Phy: 5 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 9/9

Cha: 2 -- Inf: 2/3 -- Rep: 5/5

Wit: 4 -- Spi: 2/2 -- Wil: 6/6
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Tear Down Authority
Profession: Miner
Specialty: Instinctive Knack for Chaos
Feature: Completely Hairless
Personality: Big Picture Guy, and to Ruin with the Details.
PowersPowersPowersAllomancy:
Brass 4
-Soothe Aim (Reaction) Stunt: Once per Beat, Chaff gains dice equal to his aBrass rating to affect aim of shooters targeting him. With success, damage is reduced by Outcome (pg 165 in AoL supplement).

Feruchemy:
Brass 4
-Kindling Touch (Compounding) Stunt: Spend at least 30 charges to burn/ignite/melt things with specific body part (pg 188 in AoL supplement).
-Protective Heat (Compounding) Stunt: Spend at least 10 charges to damage anyone touching Chaff.
Destroys all non-fireproofed clothing/equipment Chaff carries (pg 188 in AoL supplement).
Charges:
Left Earring: 0/100
Right Earring 1: 0/25 (currently storing 4 charges)
Right Earring 2: 0/25
Right Earring 3: 0/25
Right Earring 4: 0/25
InventoryInventoryInventory(P) Brass Knuckles: Melee weapon. (Touch/Touch) +1 Damage. Also serves as a metalmind, holds 100 charges.
(P) Brassminds (4, small): Circular earrings in right ear. Hold 25 charges each.
(P) Stick of Dynamite: Explosive. (Close/Medium) Inflicts 5 damage at Touch-Striking, 2 damage at Close.
(P) Leather Duster: Heavy leather long coat, fireproofed (after much trial and error). Absorbs 1 damage from physical attacks.

ap: 1

Previous

Return to Character Sheets