Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Post by Herowannabe » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:04 am

Lets try this again shall we? For now, don’t do any dice rolls in this thread. You can use the Testing PHP dice and all thread for dice rolls for now.

Copied from the other thread:

Tonederic Cairender stepped off of the barge's gang plank and took in a deep breath- then immediately started coughing. The air in Luthadel always smelled like smoke, even when the ash wasn't falling. Just one of the many reasons why he preferred to be traveling abroad, visiting the distant corners of the Final Empire. Unfortunately, his travels required the occasional stop back in Luthadel to deposit his earnings, to report in with The Patriarch, and most importantly, to visit Aunt Gillemie.

Tone scanned the the bustling dockyard, but didn't see any faces he recognized, so he set about making his final payment to the barge captain and arranging for his luggage to be unloaded. Once he was satisfied that the captain's Skaa weren't going to mishandle or misplace any of his crates, he turned and scanned the crowds again. There they are, he thought to himself, spotting Cale and his "servant," Penn, stepping out of a carriage.
Spotting a well dressed young woman standing on the docks, Cale tried to engage her in conversation while waiting, quite unsuccessfully. She frantically scanned the crowd and her eyes lit up with relief as she ran off to greet someone else coming off the barge, leaving Cale looking somewhat chagrined.

Sighing, Cale's eyes drifted over the unloading wave of people and, spotting Tonederic, he gave a wave to his cousin.
Sir Jerric

Re: Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Post by Sir Jerric » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:10 pm

Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Dice roll: result of 2 for observation check
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=317&p=26548#p26548
Tone gave the captain a last companionable smack on the shoulder in farewell before turning to keep a wary eye on the skaa around his luggage. While the barge crew were familiar after so many journeys through the Central Dominance, one always kept a close watch on Luthadel dockhands, and the common skaa even more so. They would have their grimy fingers on anything pocket sized the moment you put your back to them.

Catching Cale's wave from the corner of his eye, he smiled and lifted a hand in turn. "Cousin! Surely you had more important business than to wait about in a dockyard?"
Turning slightly, he offered a short, yet cordial bow to Cale's companion. "Lord Penn. How have you been?"
Zath

Post by Zath » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Penn politely pretended not to notice Cale's failed attempt at conversation with the young woman. Out of old habit, he assessed the people around him with the deliberate eyes of a spy, trained to observe even the smallest details without being observed himself.

At Tone's greeting, Penn gave a return bow that was a touch deeper than Tone's had been, as was proper. "I have been quite well, thank you, Lord Tonederic. It is good to see you again."
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Result of 1 for my Wits check. Oof. Embarrassing for someone with a century or two of experience as a spy and is meticulous, to boot. :P
Here's my dice roll: 5, 3, 1, 1, 4, 1
Bill Whitmore

Post by Bill Whitmore » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:29 pm

Cale smirked at Tone. "I was hoping I did but," Cale sighed, "she just walked off. But enough about that, let's get you loaded up and you can tell me all about your travels on the way back home."

Cale moved behind the carriage and opened the trunk and looked at Tone expectantly.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:34 am

Tone begins directing the Skaa laborers to load his luggage onto the carriage when he notices a familiar face in the crowds: Oldana Ivander, wearing a tense look on her face and flanked by two house guards, is following an Obligator towards a nearby barge that is just finishing mooring.
Sir Jerric

Post by Sir Jerric » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:33 am

. . . And Hero is the first to slip into present tense. I figured past tense would be difficult to maintain.

Tone directed the attention of his companions toward the new arrivals. "I wonder what brings the wife of Ivander's heir out this way? Should we dally a little, do you think?"

Feel free to suggest more aggressive action if you think it appropriate. Would Cale want to approach a woman who might have been a sister-in-law? (Is that the right term when crossing two marriage links instead of one?)
Zath

Post by Zath » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:30 pm

So, Oldana is Cale's sister's husband's brother's wife. So, sister-in-law-in-law, or sister-sister-in-law? :P How about we just stick with sister-in-law? ;)

Penn took a small step to one side to see past a pair of dockworkers carrying a particularly large crate that had been blocking his line of sight. Sure enough, there was a worried-looking Oldana Ivander standing a short distance away.

"I believe that would be a good idea," Penn replied. "Let's extend our greetings and see if we can't find out more about what seems to be troubling Lady Oldana. Cairender and Ivander are allies, after all. If there is something wrong, it would be in our best interests to at least know about it, and perhaps even to help resolve the issue."
Bill Whitmore

Post by Bill Whitmore » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:26 am

"Curious." said Cale, "I think you're right, Penn*. It would be rude of us to not check in with her and see if she needs help with anything."

Closing the carriage trunk, Cale made his away across the docks towards his sister-in-law, calling out once he was close enough. "Lady Oldana! What an unexpectedly wonderful surprise."

Cale is going to try to read her reaction when she discovers his presence; happy, dismissive, annoyed, etc.

http://steelministry.com/viewtopic.php? ... 556#p26556
Result 0.

Ignore the extra die, I realized after I rolled I was only trying to read her initial reaction not discern the veracity of anything she said.

* Or replace this with whatever name Penn is using at the moment.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:51 pm

test

EDIT: Yay, the site is working again! I don't have much time right now, but I'll get a proper response posted to this thread later.
Zath

Post by Zath » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:17 pm

@Bill: yes, "Penn" is the name NamPaen's using right now.

@Hero: hooray! So, to be clear, that means we're good to roll dice in this thread, yes?

I'm gonna wait until after Oldana's response before doing anything. Except for this (in case there was any doubt):

Penn followed Cale across the docks.

Return to “Action”