Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Zath
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:29 pm
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Post by Zath » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Zath rolled 5d6:
5, 3, 6, 6, 6
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler
Posts: 3206
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 368 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:39 am

Zath wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:47 pm
Herowannabe wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:32 am
Man, the dice just aren’t liking you so far, are they :roll:

Cake racks his brain ...
I sense some meta nicknames here. Cale "Cake Autocorrect" Cairender, or Cale "Oh-For-Five" Cairender. :P
*facepalm*

Zath wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:47 pm
"I understand, Jek," Penn replied calmly. "Your loyalty to Lord Ivander is to be commended."

...

Penn turned his gaze towards the barge as he thought. "Has Lord Sandrean been attended to by someone with medical proficiency, yet?" Penn asked Jek. "That young Obligator who came off the barge briefly, perhaps? Who is he?"
"Obligator Maxell? He helped out some when the Captain was busy, but the Captain himself took charge of doctoring Lord Ivander. When he started getting worse the Captain wanted to stop at one of the towns on the way and find a doctor, but Lord Ivander made us keep going to Luthadel as fast as we could."
Zath wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:47 pm
Just some regular role play conversation unaided by Charm rolls for the moment. i.e. maybe Jek will tell me younger obligator's name and Canton without the need for a roll...? Regardless, Wits roll to recall and interpret the eye tattoos of older obligator and younger obligator (in that order, if I have to roll for each) to determine each's Canton at the very least.

Wits 4 + Spy (because noticing and remembering details like this seems like a spy thing, and NamPaen has been a spy for obligators in the past so is more familiar with their tattoos.)

5 dice total. Roll in next post.

Edit: Result of 0nnn. No Complications thanks to those 3 Nudges, at least.
NamPaen wonders what Canton- or Cantons- the Obligators were from. Unfortunately, he didn't think to inspect their tattoos when they were close enough to do so. The younger Obligator- Maxell, apparently- is still loitering near the cabin on the barge. Glancing around, NamPaen sees the more senior Obligator a ways down the dock, speaking with the captain of another barge. He must be one of the dock officials.

Sir Jerric wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:31 am
I don't have time for a full role play post, but Tone would like to try looking for a first mate / boson on the barge and try to get some second-hand info. When did they pick up the group, and where? What condition were they in at the time?
Tone makes his way up the gangplank, staring down any of the Skaa crewmen who don't get out of his way quickly enough. Once on the barge's deck he is about to start asking after the first mate when the cabin door opens up and the Captain emerges. He interrupts a couple of his Skaa and sends them to prepare a litter, then turns to greet Tone with a respectful bow.

"Good day, my lord. Captain Erek Andierum at your service. What can I do for you?"

Tone offers up his questions, to which Captain Erek responds: "We picked up Sandrean and his servant eight days ago in *Zerindel. Sandrean was well enough at the time, but he fell ill a couple days later. I was sure he'd get over it in a day or two, but he's grown steadily worse since then. I suspect it's from all the hard travel on the canal- I see it a lot in these young lords and ladies who don't spend enough times on the water. Now that he's home and can rest in his own bed I'm sure he'll be back on his feet in no time. He's a fighter, he is. Not one to let a little flu keep him down for long.

"His servants arm? That injury was from before they booked passage. An accident while sailing- some rigging snapped in some strong winds and the lad caught the boom with his shoulder, or so they said."

EDIT:
*Zerindel is a decent sized port city where the River Channerel flows into the Southern Sea, so named because of its relative proximity to Mount Zerinah.
Zath
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:29 pm
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Post by Zath » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:10 pm

Herowannabe wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:39 am
*Zerindel is a decent sized port city where the River Channerel flows into the Southern Sea, so named because of its relative proximity to Mount Zerinah.
Ah, makes sense, makes sense.

Setting aside his curiosity about the obligators for the time being, Penn turned back to Jek and replied, "Well then, now that he's made it to Luthadel, it is imperative that Lord Sandrean receive qualified medical attention as soon as possible." He swept his eyes over the docks toward the city proper. "I assume Lady Oldana has a carriage waiting?"

Though he was checking for said carriage, Penn's actual purpose was to scan the people on the docks. Were any of them paying particular attention to Lord Sandrean's barge? Were any of them in a position to eavesdrop? Penn took his time, letting the details of the scene sink into his mind. He made sure to allow for the possibility of Tineyes, sometimes noticeable by an expression of distant concentration or slight flinching at sudden noises.

Looking for suspicious people and stuff. (And Oldana's carriage, but that's more of a cover for the scan.)

Wits 4 + Spy + Meticulous + Deep Thinker (he's taking the time for the details sink "deep" into his mind and then he thinks about them. :P Worth a shot.)
7 dice total. (roll in next post)

Edit: Result of 4nnnn. IF all seven dice are allowed... *crosses fingers* ...I'd like to use 3 Nudges to have the barge's captain, crew and passengers be in a friendly, chatty mood towards the three of us, giving each of us an extra die for the next roll we make to interact with them. The fourth Nudge... Um. Suggestions?
Last edited by Zath on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zath
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:29 pm
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Post by Zath » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:11 pm

Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Zath rolled 7d6:
6, 6, 4, 1, 6, 6, 4
Bill Whitmore
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:33 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Post by Bill Whitmore » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:50 am

Nothing about this situation seemed right and it made Cale uneasy. Returning to his own carriage, Cale climbed up inside, shut the door and made sure the curtains were drawn across the windows. Reaching into the pocket inside his tunic he pulled out a tiny, opaque vial and downed its contents.

Reveling in the growing warmth of power, Cale tapped into the new power reserve within himself. Always, always, ALWAYS, start with copper, his mentor had told him. Anonymity is your greatest asset. Don't get cocky and blow it because some Seeker happened to be nearby.

Ignoring that advice, Cale reached down within himself and tapped briefly into the bronze flakes within his belly, checking for the existence of other active Allomancy nearby. A moment later, he could practically feel his own copper cloud spreading out from him as he drew upon his powers to conceal his own activities from any prying Seekers. NOW let's see what's out here, he thought as he opened the carriage once more and stepped outside, flaring the tin within himself.

If memory serves, because it has been forever since I read the books, and from reading the rules in the MAG, you can use bronze while within a copper cloud to detect allomancy that is occurring outside the cloud.

If I am misremembering / misreading the rules and that is not the case, Cale will bring up Bronze briefly while still in the carriage to detect if there is other allomancy present before putting up the copper cloud and getting out of the carriage.


If I may, I'd like to use those nudges to pick up on the tattoo pattern of the visible obligator and commit it to memory so I can research more about it later.

Edit: My memory apparently did not serve me well.
Last edited by Bill Whitmore on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Whitmore
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:33 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Post by Bill Whitmore » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:51 am

Wits 3 + Tin (Flared) 5
Bill Whitmore rolled 8d6:
6, 1, 1, 4, 4, 6, 5, 5
Zath
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:29 pm
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Post by Zath » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Bill Whitmore wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:50 am
If memory serves, because it has been forever since I read the books, and from reading the rules in the MAG, you can use bronze while within a copper cloud to detect allomancy that is occurring outside the cloud.

If I am misremembering / misreading the rules and that is not the case, Cale will bring up Bronze briefly while still in the carriage to detect if there is other allomancy present before putting up the copper cloud and getting out of the carriage.
Unfortunately, you are indeed misremembering. At the very end of the Bronze rules after the Feruchemy and Hemalurgy sections (i.e. as far from the rest of the Allomancy rules as you can get and still be in the same chapter :roll: ), there's a little "Combining Copper & Bronze" box that includes this tidbit:
"...Bronze and Copper are mutually exclusive-- a Bronze-burner is hampered inside a coppercloud..." (MAG pg 326)
Plus, if you can do it, so can our enemies, and I'd rather not let them be able to track our Allomancy while remaining hidden themselves. That's part of the fun of Bronze, after all: a cat-and-mouse game where Seekers on each side have to choose between going blind but undetectable, or aware but traceable.

On the plus side, I know what I'm going to spend my fourth Nudge on (if my last roll was a success). I'd like to use it to make a small distraction on the docks-- a stacked crate starts tipping over and dock workers have to scramble to keep it upright, they narrowly avoid a disaster but cause a hubbub in the process-- and this happens at the same time that Cale burns Bronze from within the carriage. Hopefully that will help his scan go unnoticed and maybe even cause any Allomancers on the dock to instinctively burn their metals, letting Cale notice them.
Bill Whitmore
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:33 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Post by Bill Whitmore » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:45 pm

OK, thanks. There was that part of my brain that was nagging me that they might not work together but I couldn't find the rules for it. Like you indicated, I read the Allomancy section of copper and bronze and stopped when I reached the sections on Feruchemy and Hemalurgy so I missed that box. I'll amend the above post accordingly.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler
Posts: 3206
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 368 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:48 pm

Sorry about the delays! It's been a combination of being sick + a busy schedule. I'll get replies posted as soon as I can. :roll:
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler
Posts: 3206
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 368 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Post by Herowannabe » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:17 pm

So it appears “as soon as I can” means 5 months later. :whistle: Sorry again about that.

Anyway, while it looks like we’ll have a couple new players joining us, our core group is still here so I see no reason why we can’t continue on with this scene, and we can work the newcomers into the story when they’re ready.

Zath wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:10 pm
Setting aside his curiosity about the obligators for the time being, Penn turned back to Jek and replied, "Well then, now that he's made it to Luthadel, it is imperative that Lord Sandrean receive qualified medical attention as soon as possible." He swept his eyes over the docks toward the city proper. "I assume Lady Oldana has a carriage waiting?"
Jek gives a one-armed shrug. “I wouldn’t know about that, my Lord.”
Though he was checking for said carriage, Penn's actual purpose was to scan the people on the docks. Were any of them paying particular attention to Lord Sandrean's barge? Were any of them in a position to eavesdrop? Penn took his time, letting the details of the scene sink into his mind. He made sure to allow for the possibility of Tineyes, sometimes noticeable by an expression of distant concentration or slight flinching at sudden noises.

Looking for suspicious people and stuff. (And Oldana's carriage, but that's more of a cover for the scan.)

Wits 4 + Spy + Meticulous + Deep Thinker (he's taking the time for the details sink "deep" into his mind and then he thinks about them. :P Worth a shot.)
7 dice total. (roll in next post)

Edit: Result of 4nnnn. IF all seven dice are allowed... *crosses fingers* ...I'd like to use 3 Nudges to have the barge's captain, crew and passengers be in a friendly, chatty mood towards the three of us, giving each of us an extra die for the next roll we make to interact with them. The fourth Nudge... Um. Suggestions?
Normally, I follow the suggested rule in the MAG that says when you are applying traits to a roll you are capped at +2D. I’ll make an exception this time, but in the future I won’t be so lenient unless the situation and the traits come together perfectly. :obligator:

So that was 3 nudges to get the sailors & captain to warm up to the crew and 1 nudge for a small distraction, right?


While Tone speaks with the Captain and Cale returns to the carriage, Penn scans the crowd, looking for any potential eavesdroppers. However, the only individuals who are close enough to the barge to hear anything are those that are standing on it and the Skaa sailors who are unloading the cargo, and they all seem too preoccupied with the task to be doing any eavesdropping. As Penn surreptitiously eyes them, he notices as one of the sailors stumbles under his load, accidentally bumping into a stack of small boxes and knocking them over. The boxes crash and tumble across the dock, causing heads to turn. Penn grabs one of the boxes that tumbled near him and helps the sailor begin stacking them again before the Overseer can chastise him. The other sailors take note the nobleman who would take the time to help out a Skaa sailor, and grin approvingly.

Meanwhile, Cale begins burning bronze in his carriage, and is surprised when he immediately begins feeling some allomantic pulses tugging at him from back the way he came. He nearly drops his seeking, but realizes that the pulses he senses are not another seeker. Focusing on the pulses he determines that they are coming from someone burning Tin. Cautiously, he peeks out the curtain at the barge. The pulses are emanating from atop the barge itself, near the door to the cabin. Right where the Ivander house guards and the young Obligator are standing. Cale drops his Bronze, putting up his copper cloud and burning his own Tin.

He steps back out of the carriage, eyeing the three men with Tin-enhanced eyes. The guards are just standing there, keeping an eye on the Captain and any of the Skaa deckhands who get too close. The obligator though... He is ostensibly reviewing the sheaves of paper in his hands, but with tin Cale can see that the Obligator isn’t actually reading them. He’s just flipping through them slowly, and his eyes are unfocused, as if his attention was elsewhere. Cale is confident that the young Obligator is the one burning Tin.

Technically, Penn’s roll of 4nnnn is enough to notice the obligator, but Narratively it made sense to me to have it be a joint effort, with Cale’s allomancy allowing him to pick out the eavesdropper.
Post Reply

Return to “Action”