Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Zath

Re: Chapter 1: Homecoming (Continued)

Post by Zath » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Pewter vials, Penn thinks, holding the vial. Of course, Sandrean can burn pewter. That may be the only thing keeping him alive at the moment.

Penn quickly scoops up the contents of the hidden compartment, pocketing the parchment and the coin pouch. Straightening, he then carries the case of vials to Sandrean's bedside. Penn uncorks the vial he'd already removed and helps Sandrean swallow its contents: "Here, Lord Sandrean, drink this."

Does this cabin have windows, or any other way that people outside the cabin could look in? If so, Penn will try to be really sneaky about pocketing the parchment (and the coin pouch, but mostly the parchment). If not, Penn will be discreet out of old habit but not overly concerned about Cale, Oldana, or Sandrean noticing. So, sleight-of-hand like this would be... Physique? If it'd be something else, feel free to roll it for me like you did last time. Roll in next post.
Edit: Result of 2nn. If that's a success, I'll use one Nudge to get a glimpse of whatever's written/drawn on the parchment, giving me a bonus die to my next roll related to the parchment. I'll use the second Nudge to find a water skin nearby to help Sandrean wash down that pewter vial.

Re: including Merlock and Fritz: Merlock could be at the physician's helping with an autopsy or something when the Ivander house guard bursts in to ask the physician to come help Sandrean? Or Merlock could notice the guard running through the streets and tail him? Fritz could have heard through the grapevine that Sandrean was returning to Luthadel today and, smelling an opportunity, Fritz made his way to the docks?
Last edited by Zath on Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zath

Post by Zath » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Physique roll to pocket the parchment very sneakily. 7 Physique + Spy
Zath rolled 8d6:
1, 2, 1, 2, 6, 6, 5, 4
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:28 am

I’m going to go ahead and keep moving with this, even though some players haven’t declared any official action for a while. Generally speaking this will be my policy moving forward- PBP games are already slow enough without waiting for each player to declare every little thing they’re going to do. Obviously when a character’s action is crucial to the scene (ie: in the middle of a group conflict) I will make sure to give everyone plenty of time to post their actions. But in situations like this, once the one or two critical actions have been declared I’m going to keep things moving along. We can always retcon things a little afterwards if we need to.
Does this cabin have windows, or any other way that people outside the cabin could look in?
As Penn examines the vial he sneaks a glance around the room- the only windows are small dirty windows on either side of the cabin. He doesn’t see anybody near enough to the windows to be peeking in, so he deftly palms the coin pouch and the parchment. As he does he catches a glimpse of the parchment- it looks to be a map of some sort.
Zath wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:37 pm
Straightening, he then carries the case of vials to Sandrean's bedside. Penn uncorks the vial he'd already removed and helps Sandrean swallow its contents: "Here, Lord Sandrean, drink this."
Sandrean grasps the vial and downs the contents. A few moments later a bit of color visibly returns to his cheeks, and he relaxes a bit. His eyes flutter open and he looks about, seeming to really see the occupants of the room for the first time.

“Oldana, my love,” He croaks, giving her a weak smile. “We did it. We found the city. Orulae. But we were driven back... before we could find the treasure. We were so close. So close. It was there though. I know it. The beast was guarding it. Just need to get back. Kill it. Then we can... can search... Lord Ruler... Lord-!”

The last few words are uttered as a curse through gritted teeth as Sandrean is overcome by another spasm. “Sandrean? Sandrean!?” Oldana cries. Cale and Penn try to restrain the thrashing lord, but with pewter burning flaring in Sandrean’s stomach its nearly impossible- even with the aid of their own supernatural gifts. The sounds of the struggle and Oldana’s panicked cries draw Tone and Barl back, and together the four are able to restrain Sandrean until the seizure subsides.

Sandrean is left panting weakly, a trickle of blood flowing from his nose and the corner of his mouth. His gaze falls on Cale, and he whispers, “Cale... Find it... Mount... expedition... you can... do it... find it... Orulae... the treasure... but... you’ll need... Shelly’s... diary... hid it... in Zerindel... it... watch... your back... they want... it too... will kill you... for it... They...”

“Who?” Cale asks, unsure of what else to say.

“The... Steel... Ministry...”

Cale rocks back, stunned at the pronouncement. Sandrean rolls his head towards his wife. “Oldana... I... love you... glad I... got to... see you... one last... time... Tell Davon... proud of... him... I’ll... see you both... in the mists... I can see... them... the whole world... made of mist...” Sandrean is overcome by another spasm, this one less powerful than the one before it, yet somehow more terrible at the same time.

The physician finally arrives a few minutes later, but by then, it’s too late. Lord Sandrean Ivander is dead.

My plan is to basically end the scene here and cut ahead to later in the evening of the same day, after things have settled down somewhat. Fritz and Merlock will join us in that scene. However, I’ll give you the chance to decide how your characters will react and/or what they will say or do before we make the cut.
Sir Jerric

Post by Sir Jerric » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:09 am

On hearing of the threat from the Steel Ministry, Tone's mind immediately leaps to the ship's obligator who had been hovering so deliberately near the door. Had the man retreated after all Tone and Penn's attempts to make eavesdropping uncomfortable? I am guessing not, but I'm sure Hero could clarify if the NPC is worth paying attention to. Tone stood in somber reflection as Sandrean's breath departed. The critical message had already been spoken, and there would be no reclaiming the words now, if they had landed on unwelcome ears.

Before the physician arrives, Tone returns to the cabin door, and takes one further look around, to mark any further signs of persons who might, by absence or expression, have an interest in the dying man's words.

I expect this to be a more challenging request so I'll include a roll in case you want to consult it.
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Wits 4, no particular traits seem applicable, unless being a peddler gives him an edge at reading people.
Sir Jerric rolled 4d6:
4, 5, 3, 6
Zath

Post by Zath » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:08 pm

Herowannabe wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:28 am
But in situations like this, once the one or two critical actions have been declared I’m going to keep things moving along. We can always retcon things a little afterwards if we need to.
Sounds good to me.

NamPaen's mind reels and races, skipping from revelation to realization and back. Orulae... The object of Lady Shella's interest for as long as NamPaen had known her. NamPaen glances to his pocket where the map from under the floorboard is hidden. Orulae is a city, and Sandrean has found it with the help of Shella's diary. A city of treasure, guarded by a monster. A treasure coveted by the Steel Ministry, who are clearly willing to kill to get their hands on it.

This treasure has to be more than mere wealth, else why would the Ministry, with all the resources of the Final Empire at their disposal, care so much? For that matter, why would Lady Shella have cared so much? Shella had not been the type of person interested in a lost city of treasure simply for the riches. On the other hand, Shella would very much have been drawn to the sense of discovery and history that would be involved in such a quest, and she certainly wouldn't have said no to the resulting wealth. If he is being honest with himself, NamPaen also feels his curiosity piqued.

History... Perhaps that is part of the reason why the Steel Ministry is searching for Orulae. They want to bury it, erase any links to a past where powers other than the Lord Ruler held sway, whether those powers were political, economical, or arcane. Though NamPaen has no doubt that ambition is also a factor. If one of the Cantons were to find Orulae, it could gain a considerable advantage over the other Cantons in their constant maneuvering for the Lord Ruler's favor and the political authority that comes with it.

Penn pulls himself back into the moment. The physician has yet to arrive, though his arrival will make little difference now. Sandrean has just breathed his last, and Lady Oldana weeps over his motionless body. Penn's heart aches even as his mind analyzes the potential consequences of Sandrean's death. Penn has been too long a spy to let emotion prevent him from determining the best way to utilize the information of this event. After today, Strowick Ivander's second son-- and his last surviving child-- will likely become heir to the House: Stephen Ivander, who has recently married Aveline Cairender, Cale's sister. That's a silver lining for House Cairender, Penn thinks, glancing at Cale and Tone. Though there is also a chance that Sandrean's young son Davon becomes the heir. Regardless, Stephen or Davon will only inherit if House Ivander itself survives. News of Sandrean's death could embolden Ivander's enemies like the cry of an injured sheep to a pack of ravenous wolves. Even former allies might turn against Ivander if they smell weakness, if they smell an opportunity.

Sandrean's death should be kept secret for as long as possible, and only revealed on House Ivander's terms. If they act carefully and swiftly here, it could even give them the opportunity to use Penn's abilities to fool everyone into believing that Sandrean survived this illness, and thus prevent or at least delay any hostile actions toward the House.

However, Penn is not tactless enough to suggest such an idea outright at the moment, not while standing over Sandrean's still-warm corpse and to his grieving widow.

"I believe we should take Lord Sandrean to House Ivander with all haste, and with as little commotion as possible," Penn says quietly. "There is much to discuss and to decide, and..." Penn pauses, looking at Oldana with sympathy. "...And we shouldn't wait for a physician."

Now that Sandrean's dead, Penn does not want a physician coming around to spread the news. If we can get Sandrean's body out of here before the physician comes, that'd be good. If not, Penn will prevent the physician from seeing Sandrean with the excuse that Sandrean will be treated by House Ivander's personal doctor, and no one else will do. In any case, Penn will enlist Barl into retrieving the litter/stretcher that the captain prepped and shoo off any skaa who presumably would've been carrying it (excuse: Sandrean's illness may be contagious, so there's no sense in risking the disease spreading to the litter carriers, but Penn and Barl have already been exposed, so carrying the litter won't do them any more harm). Penn and Barl (and Cale and Tone if necessary, plus the other guard if he returns in time) will personally rush Sandrean off the barge and to the carriage, either Oldana's or the one Cale and Penn arrived in, whichever is closer or better shielded from prying eyes.
I.E. Doing everything possible to hide the fact that Sandrean has died. If Tone and/or Cale (or even Oldana or Barl) could help Penn with this deception, that'd be great. ;)

So I'm guessing this is a Charm roll. 4 Charm + Deep Thinker (Penn did quite a bit of analyzing just now) + Meticulous (trying to cover every angle with his plan) + Spy...? (Deception and all that. Meh, I feel like I've been overusing Spy anyways.) I'll roll 6 dice, and in the unlikely event that you deem all three traits apply, Hero, you can roll any bonus dice for me (or subtract any that shouldn't count, of course). Roll in next post.

Result:
5n. *fist pump* Yes! If that succeeds, using the Nudge for this: when Penn and Barl go out of the cabin to get the litter, Penn lightly bumps a sailor who then bumps into Maxell (if he's still around), causing some papers from his ledger to come loose and blow away. So when we come out with Sandrean in the litter, Maxell is distracted chasing his papers across the deck.

Oh, also, before we leave, Penn replaces that loose floorboard the way he found it.
Edit #2: Jek! Nearly forgot about Jek. We need to bring him along and make sure he gets away safely, since now he's the last surviving member of Sandrean's expedition.
Last edited by Zath on Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zath

Post by Zath » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Charm roll to prevent people from discovering that Sandrean's dead. 4 Charm + Deep Thinker + Meticulous
Zath rolled 6d6:
1, 6, 1, 5, 5, 1

Return to “Action”