TRAITS
Drive: Freedom from Slavery
Profession: Spy
Specialty: Escape Artist
Feature: Deep Thinker
Personality: Meticulous
Other Traits:

Burdens:

TRAGEDY: I lost faith in the First Contract when my close friend (Lady Shellaneau Ivander) was murdered by my new master (Prelan Davrin) and I was forced to imitate her.

DESTINY: Find a way for all kandra to live in freedom and safety.

SECRETS KNOWN:
Kandra stuff...?

POWERS:
Mimicry 5
  • Fast Replication 1: Reduces replication time by 2 hours.
Blessing of Potency: Increases Physique by 2 (max 8). A pair of iron spikes.

PROPS:
  • Bones: Skaa male, ~40 years old. Balding with austere, angular features. 5' 11" and 165 lbs. Includes hair and nails. (These are the bones NamPaen uses for his persona as the minor nobleman "Penn". Haven't decided where they came from yet. Suggestions?)
  • Formal Clothing: Minor nobleman's suit, useful for blending in with high society. Helps maintain the Penn persona.
  • Bones: Dog. Includes fur and nails (?). NamPaen used this body to escape burning building when faking his death.
Advancements: 2
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
6 AP to start with.
-4 AP for Stunt: Fast Replication 1
Last edited by Zath on Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Zath

Re: NamPaen

Post by Zath » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:52 pm

Code: Select all

STANDINGS		RESILIENCES
Resources: 3/3		Health: 10/10
Influence: 2/2		Reputation: 6/6
Spirit: 4/4		Willpower: 8/8
Non-Prop Equipment:

Changes history:
Last edited by Zath on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zath

Re: NamPaen

Post by Zath » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:53 pm

Backstory:
NamPaen is a Fifth Generation kandra. His "parent" was YaRoon, one of the more open-minded of the Seconds. NamPaen loved the Homeland and his kindred kandra. Unlike many other Fifths, however, he was not content with mere sentry duty, or tending the bio-luminescent fungus, or the other tasks his Generation usually handled that let them stay in the Homeland. NamPaen's sense of duty and love for the kandra led him to volunteer to serve his people by going out on Contracts. He quickly learned to distance himself emotionally while out on assignment, due to the atrocities he often encountered-- and only slightly less often experienced personally at the hands of cruel masters-- in the human world. Despite this, NamPaen felt pride that he was helping to serve and protect the kandra in a way that few others could.

NamPaen generally has low expectations regarding human morality, and has himself indirectly caused the deaths of relatively innocent people by selecting them as targets for his mimicry. ("Imitating this person will give me the best chance of a successful infiltration." "Alright, I'll have them assassinated and then you can do your thing.")

The lives or deaths of humans meant little to him, until NamPaen had several back-to-back Contracts-- 32 years in all-- with Lady Shellaneau Ivander. They actually became close friends.

Lady Shellaneau Ivander. Shella was the "crazy aunt" and spymaster of the Great House Ivander (formerly "Great", that is). She had a passion for books on history and philosophy (particularly anything banned by the Steel Ministry). Never married. Skilled researcher with a great mind + memory. Eccentric and reclusive, even as a child. She would read and think quietly instead of do "normal" kid stuff. When she did interact with people, the things she'd say or do were completely out of context to everyone but herself, so no one really knew how to act around her. Her older brother Strowick was the only family she got along with. Her parents began using her as a spy at a young age. Her talents brought a lot of power and wealth to House Ivander, and a lot of grief to their rivals.

One of these rival houses, the Great House Buvidas(?), had just barely hired NamPaen for a 5-year Contract. Thanks to Shella's spying, House Ivander blackmailed Buviads and they were forced to hand over NamPaen's Contract (along with plenty of their other assets). Naturally, her parents had Shella and NamPaen work together. Shella was 17 when NamPaen first met her. Unlike everyone else NamPaen had ever served, his being a kandra didn't disturb Shella. In fact, she was fascinated by his nature and asked him many questions about himself and the kandra in general. At first he told her the bare minimum, but eventually her sincere curiosity and complete lack of enmity or fear won him over. In bits and pieces, over a long span of time, he ended up telling her just about everything about the kandra except for those things that would have constituted a betrayal of his species.

Shella wanted to be the sole owner of NamPaen's Contract so she could ask him confidentially about Orulae (something she'd come across in one of her banned texts). When the Contract was up she personally renewed it using atium obtained from her savings, loans, and other less-legal means.

Right after this was when Shella first asked NamPaen about Orulae, and she never quite believed him when he said he knew nothing about it. She never really explained what Orulae was, either. Shella eventually gave up on asking NamPaen, though she would occasionally bring it up out of the blue, trying to sneak an answer out of him. Over the years, it became something of an inside joke between them.

Shella quickly became House Ivander's de facto spymaster. NamPaen did most of the actual spying and Shella focused on researching the paper trail of rival houses. If she needed NamPaen to imitate a specific person, or if she couldn't defeat rivals socially, she hired assassins.

Her parents died when Shella was about (23-30?) and her older brother Strowick inherited leadership of House Ivander. Strowick wasn't particularly ambitious, so there wasn't as much espionage going on. Shella and NamPaen were both perfectly fine with this, as it meant they didn't have to interact with other people as much; neither of them were social animals. During this relatively peaceful time NamPaen became more of a steward than a spy. Shella shared many of her books with NamPaen, and they spent a lot of time just reading or thinking quietly in each other's company, occasionally discussing this author's philosophy or that historical narrative. By this point, Shella and NamPaen had become close friends, and the renewal of NamPaen's Contract every 2 years was mostly due to that friendship. NamPaen even called in a favor or two from some friends in the Homeland to try to lower the price a bit.

The Contract finally ended, and NamPaen said goodbye to Shella, someone he'd seen grow from a teenager of 17 to a mature woman of 49. He felt almost like a parent or an older sibling to her.

Shella had spent practically all of her wealth on renewing NamPaen's Contract so many times, and had dragged House Ivander into sizable debt, drawing the attention of the Steel Ministry's Canton of Finance (and possibly fueling her desire to find Orulae...).

About a year after NamPaen returned to the Homeland he was assigned to an obligator, Prelan Davrin of the Canton of Finance. For reasons that NamPaen still doesn't know, Davrin had a grudge against House Ivander. Davrin had Lady Shella assassinated, and then ordered NamPaen to eat and imitate her and spy on Ivander. NamPaen obeyed, leaking sensitive information to Davrin and performing subtle acts of sabotage that hurt House Ivander greatly. He hated every second of it, and he hated deceiving members of Shella's family, especially her brother Strowick, the only family she'd truly been fond of. NamPaen's doubts about the rightness of kandra Contracts and his anguished guilt steadily grew until he couldn't take it anymore.

He got in contact with Merlock Tomes, and with his help NamPaen faked his own death in such a way as to leave the kandra pretty sure that he's dead, and to leave everyone else sure that Lady Shellaneau Ivander is definitely dead:
  • got "trapped" in a burning building after he fell off a balcony and through the building's roof,
  • quickly switched bodies (nothing like the threat of death by fire to motivate a quick shape-shift :kandra: ),
  • left the bones, clothing, and personal effects of Lady Shellaneau Ivander behind as evidence
  • also left two small pieces of iron behind so any kandra who investigated would think they'd found his Blessing but be unable to test the melted spikes and know that they're fakes (so I'm thinking the building would be a blacksmith's shop or a metalworking factory or something, since a normal house fire probably wouldn't get hot enough to melt iron)
  • sneaked out through a secret passage that he collapsed behind him.
Merlock was able to arrange things so that Prelan Davrin hired him to investigate NamPaen's death. Merlock reported that NamPaen had undoubtedly died in the fire. Davrin believed him and let the matter drop.

House Ivander had already been struggling to deal with Lady Shella's debts and Prelan Davrin's sabotage/espionage, so "Shella's" death was the spark that lit the fire for Ivander's inevitable fall. The other Great Houses and the Steel Ministry smelled blood in the air and swooped in. Soon House Ivander was no longer a Great House; it was a puppet in all but name, its strings fought over by a couple of its bitterer rivals (Buvidas and TBD) and the Canton of Finance. As bad as this was, it would have gone a lot worse for House Ivander if NamPaen hadn't run away when he did, cutting short Prelan Davrin's schemes.

Since faking his death, NamPaen has lived and worked with Merlock, helping him with his investigations.

When he's not imitating a specific person, NamPaen poses as the minor nobleman "Penn". The body he uses as Penn was obtained... [the rest of this is brainstorming, I might change it: ...about 15 years ago, when Lady Shella had NamPaen track a rival house's shipment along the canals. The bones originally belonged to an unsociable skaa named Pally who pulled barges for a minor Southern Dominance house, Tilsteni. Except for a few mannerisms/habits, NamPaen knows nothing else about Pally or his background.]

Aside from running away, NamPaen still obeys the First Contract, most notably the part about not killing humans.
Summary of the important bits:
  • NamPaen is a Fifth Generation kandra, went on lots of Contracts 'cause he wanted to help serve/protect his people.
  • Worked for Lady Shellaneau Ivander (Shella) for ~32 years, became close friends. During that time...
    • Merlock Tomes worked for Shella alongside NamPaen for a while, the two of them got along.
    • House Ivander and House Cairender were/became allies.
    • Tonederic Cairender became one of Shella's favorite people thanks to his curios.
  • A year after NamPaen left Shella, he was assigned to Prelan Davrin of the Steel Ministry's Canton of Finance. Davrin had Shella assassinated and forced NamPaen to imitate her and spy on House Ivander.
  • NamPaen hated this. Eventually he decided that he couldn't stand it anymore and that the First Contract was wrong if it forced any kandra to do stuff like this.
  • NamPaen got in touch with Merlock and together they faked NamPaen's death.
  • Since then, NamPaen has been working with/for Merlock as the minor nobleman Penn, helping with Merlock's investigations and stuff.
Notable NPC's: (WIP)
  • YaRoon: NamPaen's parent, a Second Generation kandra. More open-minded than the other Seconds, but not by much. Proud of NamPaen's decision to volunteer for Contracts.
  • Lady Shellaneau "Shella" Ivander: eccentric, brilliant, reclusive. Spymaster for House Ivander until her death. She and NamPaen had almost a daughter - father, or younger sister - older brother relationship by the end of NamPaen's time with her. Asked NamPaen about Orulae on occasion.
  • Strowick Ivander: Shella's older brother, current head of House Ivander. Calm, good-natured, not particularly ambitious. Got along with Shella. NamPaen thinks he's a good man overall, though they didn't interact much.
  • Prelan Davrin: NamPaen's most recent (and last) master. High-ranking obligator from the Canton of Finance. Callous, calculating, more menacing than any glorified accountant has a right to be (though he is a tax collector, so there's that). Has some kind of grudge/vendetta against House Ivander. Had Shella murdered so NamPaen could imitate her and sabotage House Ivander. Also arranged to have Shella's niece (Cale's betrothed) Brittany Ivander murdered on the same night, presumably so that the Ivander nobles wouldn't pay as much attention to the kandra imitating their crazy aunt (though NamPaen can't be 100% certain).
House Ivander Family Tree:
-Lord Ulbrit and Lady Vultenna Ivander, died ~20 years ago, parents of Shella, Strowick, and Brinolt. Ambitious, calculating.
  • Shellaneau "Shella" Ivander, killed by Prelan Davrin's assassin(s) at age 50, unwed. Eccentric, reclusive, brilliant mind. House Ivander's spymaster until her death. Close friends with NamPaen. One of Tone's biggest customers.
  • Strowick Ivander, age 54, current head of household, married to Wynette. The only one in the family who got along with Shella. Calm, good-natured, not particularly ambitious.
  • Wynette Ivander (née Fravoux), age 50, married to Strowick. Practical and proper. Generally the most respected member of House Ivander among the nobility.
    • Sandrean Ivander, age 29, eldest son of Strowick, married to Oldana, house heir. Dutiful, overly serious at times.
    • Oldana Ivander (née Haught), age 25, married to Sandrean. Earnest. Idolizes Wynette.
      • Davon Ivander, age 4, son of Sandrean and Oldana. Precocious. Hates baths.
    • Brittany Ivander, age 25, betrothed to Cale Cairender until she was killed the same night Shella was killed and replaced.
    • Stephen Ivander, age 21, married to Aveline. Starting to take life more seriously now that he's a father.
    • Aveline Ivander (née Cairender), age 20, Cale's younger sister, married Stephen to cement Cairender-Ivander alliance after Brittany's death.
      • Auguste Ivander, age 8 months, daughter of Aveline and Stephen. Utterly adorable.
  • Brinolt Ivander, age 46, Shella and Strowick's younger brother, married to Carialle. Heated. Chafes at Strowick's leadership of House Ivander. Was jealous of Shella's talents.
  • Carialle Ivander (née Getrue), age 49, married to Brinolt. Cold. Dislikes Strowick, grudgingly respects Wynette. Hated Shella.
    • Pricynthe Lekal (née Ivander), age 23, daughter of Brinolt and Carialle, married to Evrat Lekal. Petulant, catty.
    • Evrat Lekal, age 30, married to Pricynthe, not part of the main Lekal line. Unjustifiably cocky, spoiled. He and Pricynthe keep their distance from House Ivander after Ivander's "fall from grace" (i.e. after Ivander stopped being a Great House).
    • Hyroln Ivander, age 19, son of Brinolt and Carialle, unwed. Flippant. Good friends with Stephen Ivander. Completely charmed by little Auguste.
Here's the Ivander (and Cairender) family tree in visual format, thanks to Sir Jerric and Bill
Zath

Re: NamPaen (Penn)

Post by Zath » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:10 pm

@Hero and @Conquestor:
I want NamPaen to have experience imitating animals and not just humans (I've got my eye on that Chimera Stunt), and I was thinking that a plausible way for NamPaen to have done that would be if, while planning how to fake his death, Merlock suggests that the body NamPaen changes into to escape the burning building is that of a dog. NamPaen would have been like, "What? No. That's degrading and embarrassing and no kandra would ever do such a thing." And then Merlock would have pointed out that that's exactly why it's a good idea, since any kandra who investigate NamPaen's death wouldn't suspect him of thinking to imitate a dog (if there are any witnesses who happened to see a dog running away from the scene). After thinking it over for a while, NamPaen relcutantly agrees and voila: NamPaen has experience imitating things other than humans and I change one of my Props to "dog bones". He'd still use human bones and go around as the minor nobleman Penn, but he'd have the dog bones stashed away just in case.

Hero, is that okay? And Conquestor, is it okay with you that Merlock suggested the dog idea?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:14 am

Zath wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:10 pm
@Hero and @Conquestor:
I want NamPaen to have experience imitating animals and not just humans (I've got my eye on that Chimera Stunt), and I was thinking that a plausible way for NamPaen to have done that would be if, while planning how to fake his death, Merlock suggests that the body NamPaen changes into to escape the burning building is that of a dog. NamPaen would have been like, "What? No. That's degrading and embarrassing and no kandra would ever do such a thing." And then Merlock would have pointed out that that's exactly why it's a good idea, since any kandra who investigate NamPaen's death wouldn't suspect him of thinking to imitate a dog (if there are any witnesses who happened to see a dog running away from the scene). After thinking it over for a while, NamPaen relcutantly agrees and voila: NamPaen has experience imitating things other than humans and I change one of my Props to "dog bones". He'd still use human bones and go around as the minor nobleman Penn, but he'd have the dog bones stashed away just in case.

Hero, is that okay? And Conquestor, is it okay with you that Merlock suggested the dog idea?
belated response, but yes, that is okay with me.
Zath

Post by Zath » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:07 pm

Thanks! For the sake of simplicity, let's say the dog was a wolfhound so we can use the stats from the rulebook for replication time and whatnot, yeah?

Quick question about "bones" items: hair and nails. How do you want to handle that? When talking about kandra replication rules on pg 258, the MAG says:
hair operates like a Tool that may be applied with Mimicry rolls to impersonate that character, and can be kept as a Prop
So... Do I have to use one of my Prop slots for the hair + nails that go along with one of my bones Props?
Or, could I just include hair + nails as part of the corresponding bones item? (As I've been doing above.) And if that's okay, would I still be able to get a Tool die from the hair + nails? (I'd say no, the hair + nails would have to be a separate item in order to get the Tool die, but if you're willing to toss me a bone here :kandra: I won't complain.)

And another, more-involved question. Secrets and in-character knowledge. What does NamPaen know that would qualify as a Secret? Here's what I'm thinking might count:
  • Contracts. First Contract, which rules from the First Contract are in every private Contract, price range, how to obtain one (i.e. where to leave a message requesting a Contract), etc.
  • Kandra weakness to Allomancy. Only knows about the kandra's weakness specifically. NamPaen has never had to deal with or even think much about the koloss, and was never explicitly told that they share this weakness, so he hasn't made the connection. (Could make that connection with a successful Wits roll maybe? If he's ever in a situation where that line of thought would be plausible. Eh, this prob'ly isn't important to establish right now anyways, moving on)
  • Kandra Blessings (i.e. basic Kandra Hemalurgy). He knows which metals each kind of Blessing is made from and what abilities each Blessing gives a kandra. He knows that every kandra has at least one pair of spikes as their Blessing. He knows that koloss (and Inquisitors?) are "relatives" of the kandra and have spikes, but doesn't know where their spikes are placed or what the spikes do to them. Isn't familiar with the term "Hemalurgy". He doesn't know that koloss are created from humans (maybe?). He doesn't know how to create a Hemalurgical spike (i.e. he doesn't know that the spike has to impale someone to be able to grant powers to someone else, let alone any specific locations for spiking a victim or recipient. After all, all the spikes for new kandra are supplied by the Lord Ruler). He doesn't know how to create new kandra, though of course he knows that all kandra were once mistwraiths.
  • Preservation and Ruin. (would this even be a Secret?) All kandra must know about the Resolution, so it follows that they would be at least partially aware of the struggle between Preservation and Ruin. It wouldn't be unusual for the Firsts and Seconds to keep much of that knowledge to themselves, so NamPaen has only a very basic understanding. Maybe he even sees it as the struggle between the Lord Ruler and some nameless entity of doom, and knows practically nothing about Preservation? He knows nothing about the Well of Ascension or the prophecies about the Hero of Ages or the Deepness or any of that stuff.
That's all I can think of at the moment. How much of this seems plausible to you? I tried to err to the side of ignorance, as you mentioned that you'd prefer the player characters don't have starting Secrets. Also, I'm fine if you decide that you don't want any of this knowledge to be an official Secret/s; it could all just be confidential in-character knowledge.

...Rust and Ruin, I really struggle to write a post that doesn't go on and on. :roll:

Return to “The Crew”