Fields of Ash and Blood [complete]

Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Fields of Ash and Blood [complete]

Post by Claincy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:54 am

Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Given some of the awesome narrative descriptions that have been in the campaign, and the almost constant mess of OOC comments I thought it would be nice to have it as a cohesive chunk. I'll try to divide action segments by post and I'll try to keep this updated as the story progresses =)

(I have done occasional editing to fix grammar or spelling or just usage of italics and bold to make things clearer. I am not searching for these but I will fix those that I notice.)

I have also had to make occasional slight adjustments to fix continuity.

NOTE: Please do NOT post here, the whole point is to avoid OOC comments =)
Just make any comments in chat.
Ash falls lightly all around you, drifting through the branches of the trees overhead. Ahead, you can just make out the waters of the wide canal. Around you, you hear the occasion nervous shuffle or stifled cough from one of the soldiers. An army of 20,000 soldiers was difficult to raise, difficult to keep hidden, difficult to train, and most of all, difficult to feed. But somehow you managed. You have been preparing for years, waiting for this day to finally come.

You hear the sound of someone running towards you, and look up to see Oshen approaching you, panting. As a Tineye- one of the few Allomancers you were able to recruit for the army- he is your best scout. He salutes, then at your word, deliver his report.

"The Lord Ruler's convoy has been sighted- about an hour down the canal. One thousand soldiers march in the convoy, along with several dozen Obligators and a few hundred Skaa slaves. Also," he swallows nervously, "Inquisitors, my Lords."
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: The story thus far....

Post by Claincy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:55 am

"Sir, I think they've spotted us."

"Lord Rul-- no, never again will I say have that beast's name as if he were divine." Robert paused, shaking. "Very well. Prepare for battle."

Robert found a likely tree stump and mounted it, drawing the attention of the men near enough to see him.

"Men, today we march into history! Never before in living memory has the man who calls himself a god been challenged so! Never before in living memory has he been threatened so! Today, we will show the world that a god can bleed!"

"Take a look to the man on your left: odds are that, by the end of this day, both one of you will be dead. But those who die here today will be remembered for all time as heroes, men who sacrificed themselves for the chance at freedom, for their children's freedom!"

"Today we are men fighting demons, mortals challenging a monster who calls himself our god. This is a great day. And I am proud to know you all. Wish yourselves and your comrades all the luck you can muster; for today is the one day, out of all days, when we know that our luck will define the course of a world."

Robert stepped down to thunderous applause.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:56 am

There is a slight disturbance near the front of the army, and a few minutes later a squad of your men lead a half dozen captives- soldiers in Imperial uniforms- back to be stripped and bound until the battle is over. Grendo, squinting at you with his one good eye, reports that all of the Imperial scouts (that he knows of) were captured, so nobody will be returning to report the army's position. However, without the scout reports the enemy may get suspicious.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:58 am

Having set up his troops Eddard did the most sensible thing for a soldier to do when waiting for action. He took a nap.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:59 am

Shadow stood aloof from the other men, jacket billowing in the wind, matching the wreath of ash flowing around him. Almost time. He ran his fingers through his close cropped beard, thinking in double as he looked at his shadow at looked at himself as his shadow. Assassin and Scholar looked at each other, were each other, the one begrudged the other his weakness, the other thought himself the smarter. I'm not an idiot, I'm just... A tool. A thoughtless tool of our house. I have no house, we are alike in that regard, though I suspect I did more to prevent its fall than you did. The scholar was growing, he felt it. They felt it as they felt each other. But it is too little too late. You swat at the ministry if you think you can. I'm going to take the real power, the empire itself! But first the emperor. You are a fool, and you lack the scope of vision to percieve your own death. We'll see brother. Shadow felt strangely in control, perhaps from flaring the gold. It was always a surprise how much he differed from his doubles. Almost as surprising as how much they had in common. They both loved the thrill of controlling the world directly through Iron and Steel, and there would be plenty of that today.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:02 am

Vorun had been waiting for this day all his life. He had of course always planed to kill The Lord ruler but he didn't think it would've happened so soon. He was ready though, Nothing's unbeatable, one just has to beat it down enough. The Lord ruler would be a deadly opponent, but hopefully Vorun would make his mark on the world. If he died he would die for a good cause.
Vorun casually swung Qourotin back and forth, making sure all his muscles were properly stretched out. You can do this. The soldiers around him seemed jittery, nervous. They will serve their purpose in the end, and by then hopefully The Lord ruler will be dead.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:10 am

The massive Canal vessel slows to a stop, and inside his plush chambers Raskek frowns. A minute later High Prelan Hurrikson enters warily.

"My Lord Ruler," he says trepidatiously, "I must report that our lead scouts are nearly half an hour overdue to deliver their reports. Commander Haxiolle fears that there made be an ambush waiting for us ahead. Our spy reports over the past several months suggest that there may be a rather large rebel army located in this part of the Dominance. We recommend that we turn the convoy around and return to Urteau until-"

"We shall proceed," Rashek says, his voice calm and unconcerned, but firm.

"But My Lord, if the estimates of the size of the rebel army is true then our contingent of soldiers may not be enough to protect you-"

"They do not need to protect me," he says, harsher this time, "I will protect them. We shall proceed."

"Yes, My Lord," the High Prelan says, bowing, and scurries out of the room.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:11 am

An hour goes by. Then another 10 minutes. Then another 10. And another. Your soldiers stay grimly determined, thanks to Robert's speech and Jastes' Allomantic nudging, but you are getting increasingly worried that the ambush has failed. Finally, however, The Lord Ruler's convoy comes into sight around the bend in the Canal.

The Convoy consists of sixteen vessels, most of them ships designed for housing troops, but with a couple of supply barges in the rear, and of course, The Lord Ruler's flagship sails at the center. The vessel is huge- nearly too big for the canal- and painted black with silver accents. With nearly a dozen large, pointed masts, the ship looks as if it were some sort of offspring of Kredik Shaw, sent forth down the river like a spore to spread The Lord Ruler's oppression.

Each of the ships is being pulled by at least a dozen Skaa- more than a hundred for the flagship- marching up the footpath on either side of the canal. In front of and to the sides of the Skaa The Lord Ruler's soldiers, 500 on each side of the river, march in a narrow arrow-head formation. The imperial soldiers look around warily, as if aware of danger but not sure where it will come from.

Two Inquisitors are also visible, one marching at the head of the soldiers, and the other steel-eyed monstrosity standing at the prow of the black flagship.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:12 am

"You have the army, Harold. Destroy their troops and take down those Inquisitors: The Lord Ruler is mine"

With that, Robert gathered his bodyguard and team of Hazekillers about him and set off with his army, near the vanguard, but still with a good 5,000 men between him and the canal.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:14 am

Eddard waits a couple of minutes while the lord Ruler's tropps and inquisitors react to the approaching army. Then, tapping zinc, leads his men in a charge down the hill to flank them.

Return to “Action”