Round 4: Eddard and Shadow Jastes

Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Round 4: Eddard and Shadow Jastes

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:05 pm

Spear-inquisitor stats (as best as I can remember)
0 seconds of Atium remaining
16 Health Dead
83 Gold charges tapped
2 Grave Burdens (cracked skull, broken kneecap), 1 serious burden (battered & bruised)

Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
okay, getting back to this... Done now (finally!)
Shadow burns Atium, and the world explodes into an array of blue Atium shadows. Focusing in, he sees Eddard's shadow release the Inquisitor and turn to chase after The Lord Ruler.

No Eddard, not yet.

Shadow ironpulls a discarded sword towards him from the deck of the ship, and inhales deeply...

From the corner of his eye, Eddard sees The Lord Ruler start to step up onto the railing. Eddard starts to let his weight up off of the inquisitor when he hears his name being called.

"No Eddard! Hold it!"

Jastes' voice. Eddard drops his knee onto the thrashing inquisitor's abdomen just as a sword zips though the air point first, piercing the inquisitor's neck and pinning it to the deck with a loud "thunk!" The inquisitor stops it's struggling and lies still.

Could it really be dead that easily? The other inquisitor shrugged off several mortal wounds before it died...

Eddard blinks in surprise, but just as he does the inquisitor jerks, slipping out from underneath Eddard's weigh and wrenching it's neck free from the sword. Blood gushes out of the wound for a few brief seconds before the wound closes up. The Inquisitor scrambles to its feet, a panicked expression on its face.

Last edited by Herowannabe on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Round 4: Eddard and Shadow Jastes

Post by Herowannabe » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:05 am

okay, next beat. The inquisitor will steel-push Eddard.

Btw, Steelpushing and ironpulls against other characters has been bugging me- it seems really ineffective in the current rules, and i think I've figured out why. I've always treated it like a conflict, with an attack roll and a defense roll and etc. But I think from now on I'd like to treat it as more of a contest. I'm not going to change anything too drastically for this adventure since we've already been doing it one way for so long- you can still use defense dice to resist the pull/push, and you'll still get to use things like fZinc and aElectrum for your (non)defense roll, but what it will mean is that when someone pushes or pulls on another character, one or both of them will (nearly always) move somewhere. The winner of the contest will have control (to the degree that his roll wins by) over who moves where and what happens as a result.

So for example, if Eddard beats the Inquisitor's roll right here, Eddard will get to decide which of them moves, and if he rolls nudges he can use them to damage against the inquisitor or for other typical nudge-perks. If the inquisitor wins it will have the same options.

Sound reasonable enough? Any questions/comments/concerns?
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:14 am

Makes sense.

On that note, actually: Would it be terribly difficult for you to list out all of the rule-changes we've made through the course of this game? In fact (though I know you have that Crafty thread on the matter), it might be worthwhile for us to have some "Steelministry rule changes that we think are good ideas" thread in the General section, just for reference's sake.

The rules as written aren't exactly perfect, and are ambiguous in many cases (such as this very case), so it'd be nice to have all of the little alterations and tweaks we tend to make written in black and white and all in one place.

P.S. Oops, forgot to mention it initially, but I must say I'm quite pleased with how useful this campaign has been for seeing/deciding/tweaking how the rules behave in weird/high-power situations.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:55 am

Kurkistan wrote:P.S. Oops, forgot to mention it initially, but I must say I'm quite pleased with how useful this campaign has been for seeing/deciding/tweaking how the rules behave in weird/high-power situations.
I know, right? Futile Efforts has taught me so much about the rules it's crazy. I'll list what I can remember, though some of the rules that we have been using in this campaign I will be changing in any future campaigns I run.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:15 pm

Thanks for making that post Hero. Definitely a good idea to have our rule changes/clarifications collated somewhere. I recall our semi-extended argument/discussion on whether gold should be "and" or "or" I wouldn't want to end up going through those discussions again just because we forgot the conclusion :P

Anyway, sensing weakness Eddard is going to attack the inquisitor. He is going for a called shot to increase burden level. Specifically he is trying to disable the inquisitor's leg.

Edit: And yes, futile efforts has been awesome for rules clarification.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:18 pm

Claincy, do you or one of the other "actual DM's who know things" want to start up a site-wide thread for this kind of stuff? Not "you must obey", but just general rule tweaks that people might want to adopt, like your rule that you can recover prop-vials for metals every day.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:54 am

I'm a DM who knows things? sweet ;)

That is a good idea though, I'll do so.

Edit: I forgot to say, but I do like Hero's proposed iron/steel rules.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:09 am

Sorry, sorry. I'ma kill the Inquisitor.

14 Steel + Assassin + Ruthless - Puppet of Ruin = 15

10 on Attack + 8 Nudges for Atium
5 Remaining in the Pool

I'll hold my defence for now, but I'm turning off Electrum (if it is still on). I'll have 5 Dice + 1 for Acrobat if I have to actually defend against something.

Here's my attack:
Kadrok rolled 10d6:
2, 6, 4, 6, 5, 6, 5, 4, 4, 6

5 and 12 Nudges. DIE!

Sorry about the wait.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:28 pm

no worries Kadrok, and sorry about my own wait. I've got a temporary job this week and we've been working a ton to get ready for the local Outdoor Retailers Tradeshow. I should be back to normal around Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

In response to Shadow's attack- 10D with 8 nudges- the inquisitor will do nothing. It only has a handful of action dice and knows it doesn't stand a chance against Atium, so it's just trying to get away before it dies. :?

So Kadrok your attack succeeds, applying all those nudges to damage I presume? Or perhaps you'd like to catch a beat and do something with those extra action+Atium dice?

Same response to Eddard. Go ahead and make your roll to cripple it's leg. If it survives all this I'll roll its steelpush. :roll:

Oh and it will be insta-healing the lost Health from the attack(s), but probably not the burden(s) yet...
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:47 am

Damage. Trying to finish it up so we can move onto Rashek.

Return to “Action”