Rule changes/tweaks/clarifications for Futile Efforts

Postby Herowannabe » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:33 pm

As per Kurkistan's request, here are a list of the rule changes and tweaks we have made while running the campaign. This is a rough draft, and I'm going off of memory, so please add to it or make changes as you see fit. :)

Free Nudges
Certain things can give you free nudges for dice pools over 10 in combat. The rule of thumb is that if something gives you extra dice to ALL your (defense or action) rolls, then those free dice can be converted to free nudges.
Examples of things that can give free nudges include: shields, feruchemical zinc, and allomantic Atium.
Examples of things that cannot give free nudges include: traits, circumstances, allomantic Pewter or Electrum, etc.
Some things that we haven't clarified for free nudges yet: Applying your opponent's burdens, and when your skill rating itself is greater than 10 (via hemallurgy).

Called Shots
Called shots can be used to increase the outcome or level of burden inflicted by 1. Thus if you're successful in a called shot attack that does enough damage to inflict a serious burden, you can increase it to a grave burden (or from grave to mortal). This does not include death, loss of limb or other unrecoverable injury except where approved by the narrator.

Feruchemical Gold
We've had a lot of discussion and controversy over this one, but currently we are playing as such:
Tapping individual charges can only (temporarily) increase your Health to an amount equal to your Health + your Gold rating (note that I have not been abusing doing this with the inquisitors and TLR).

Tapping 10+ charges of Gold (or any other metal) gives you ALL the benefits listed in the book.

Steelpushing and Ironpulling other characters (pending approval)
Steelpushes and Ironpulls against other characters is treated as a contest, not a conflict. In other words, if successful the push/pull does not automatically deal damage (though nudges can be used for damage). Also, successful or not, the push/pull will (nearly always) move one or both of the characters. The winner of the contest has control over the effects of the steelpush/ironpull, including who moves where and how far, and has the privilege of spending nudges to deal damage or gain perks.

For this campaign, in order to not disrupt things too much, I'm suggesting that the target of the push/pull CAN use defense dice (as well as abilities that modify your defense pool such as fZinc and aElectrum) to resist the push/pull. In future campaigns I will probably say that in order to resist a Steelpush or ironpull you have to declare it as an action. I think this will bring steel and iron back into use in combat a bit more, like it is in the books.

That's everything I can remember right now, did I miss anything?
Last edited by Herowannabe on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Claincy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:02 am

Just a comment on the called shot rules. You have mixed up grave and mortal burdens, mortal is more serious. I would also suggest that such a mortal burden cannot include death, loss of limb or other irreparable injury except with narrator permission.

Edit: Actually, another comment on the steelpush/ironpull. Saying that it is treated as a contest instead of a conflict is somewhat confusing and not very helpful. Any specific attack in a conflict, once dicepools are formed, is considered a contest if there is an attack roll and a defense roll. The changes you are proposing their don't really effect whether it is a contest or not. It's semantics really, but I think it could be slightly confusing when stated how you have.
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:13 pm

Claincy wrote:Just a comment on the called shot rules. You have mixed up grave and mortal burdens, mortal is more serious. I would also suggest that such a mortal burden cannot include death, loss of limb or other irreparable injury except with narrator permission.

Ah yes. I'll fix that now. Thanks!
Edit: Actually, another comment on the steelpush/ironpull. Saying that it is treated as a contest instead of a conflict is somewhat confusing and not very helpful. Any specific attack in a conflict, once dicepools are formed, is considered a contest if there is an attack roll and a defense roll. The changes you are proposing their don't really effect whether it is a contest or not. It's semantics really, but I think it could be slightly confusing when stated how you have.

Yeah, basically I was trying to put it in the terms the MAG uses. The MAG itself states that a conflict is just a special type of contest. I'll try rewording it to make it clearer. Thanks again.

Edit: both fixed. As a side note, using called shots to increase burdens is actually in the MAG, exactly as we have it here. The only difference is that we are saying you can do the same thing with Outcome.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Claincy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:38 pm

Cool. Huh, I had forgotten that part of the called shot rules.
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Return to Planning