Brandonology

A place to do whatever, out of character.
BillSmiley

Re: Brandonology

Post by BillSmiley » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:09 pm

Dang! and I thought I had lots of books hahaha, I can't imagine having a staircase loaded with books :lol: I guess I'll need to up my game
Cabochard

Post by Cabochard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:48 am

Myself, book-wise, I've been steadily chewing through all of them over the past two or three months. At this point, I think I'm just missing the last two Alloy of Law books, and Oathbringer. I'm still torn on Oathbringer - I want to read it now, but I also want to wait til I can get it as a mass-market paperback so it looks pretty on my shelf with the others and I don't have to lug a hardcover book around.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:54 am

Cabochard wrote:Myself, book-wise, I've been steadily chewing through all of them over the past two or three months. At this point, I think I'm just missing the last two Alloy of Law books, and Oathbringer. I'm still torn on Oathbringer - I want to read it now, but I also want to wait til I can get it as a mass-market paperback so it looks pretty on my shelf with the others and I don't have to lug a hardcover book around.
That's a tough call... If you want my honest advice, hold off on Oathbringer until you manage to finish Mistborn (don't forget about Mistborn: Secret History AFTER you've read Bands of Mourning), as well as Elantris and Warbreaker if you haven't read those yet. As you may or may not know, most of Brandon's books exist in the same universe, called "the Cosmere," and as such there is a bit of behind-the-scenes and sometimes not-so-behind-the-scenes crossovers between series. There is a fair bit of this going on in Oathbringer, if you know what to look for. ;)
Cabochard

Post by Cabochard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:01 am

Herowannabe wrote:
Cabochard wrote:Myself, book-wise, I've been steadily chewing through all of them over the past two or three months. At this point, I think I'm just missing the last two Alloy of Law books, and Oathbringer. I'm still torn on Oathbringer - I want to read it now, but I also want to wait til I can get it as a mass-market paperback so it looks pretty on my shelf with the others and I don't have to lug a hardcover book around.
That's a tough call... If you want my honest advice, hold off on Oathbringer until you manage to finish Mistborn (don't forget about Mistborn: Secret History AFTER you've read Bands of Mourning), as well as Elantris and Warbreaker if you haven't read those yet. As you may or may not know, most of Brandon's books exist in the same universe, called "the Cosmere," and as such there is a bit of behind-the-scenes and sometimes not-so-behind-the-scenes crossovers between series. There is a fair bit of this going on in Oathbringer, if you know what to look for. ;)
Oh man, I hadn't known about Secret History. I have read Elantris and Warbreaker, though. To keep from getting burnt out, I've been reading standalone books in between series books - it helps break it up pretty well.
Zath

Post by Zath » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:19 pm

Alright, for the purpose of avoiding spoilers and figuring out who knows what, I hereby declare that I have read all of the Cosmere books and short stories published by Brandon Sanderson at this point and almost all of his other published work. I haven't spent much time on his website or on 17th Shard, so if he hasn't written it explicitly in one of his books then I probably don't know about it.

If you need more detail, these are all the Brandon Sanderson books/short stories I've read so far:
Cosmere:
-Mistborn: The Final Empire
-The Well of Ascension
-The Hero of Ages
-The Alloy of Law
-Shadows of Self
-The Bands of Mourning
-Mistborn: Secret History
-The Eleventh Metal
-Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania
-The Way of Kings
-Words of Radiance
-Oathbringer
-Edgedancer
-Elantris
-The Emperor's Soul
-The Hope of Elantris
-Warbreaker
-White Sand: Vol. 1 and 2 (the graphic novels)
-Shadows for Silence
-Sixth of the Dusk
-Arcanum Unbounded

Non-Cosmere:
-The Reckoners series (Steelheart, Firefight, Calamity, plus the short story Mitosis)
-Snapshot (part of the Reckoners universe, I believe, if only tangentially)
-The Rithmatist
-Alcatraz Vs. the Evil Librarians books 1-5 (they are hilarious)
-Legion and Legion: Skin Deep
-The Wheel of Time (I read the entire 15 book series just to get to the 3 books that Sanderson wrote--though I soon gained a lot of respect for Robert Jordan as a fantastic world-builder and author)
-Firstborn
-Perfect State
These are the Sanderson books I have NOT read so far (though I plan on shortening this list soon):
-Infinity Blade 1-2
-Dragonsteel
-Defending Elysium
-River of Souls
-Dreamer
-Heuristic Algorithm and Reasoning Response Engine
-Centrifugal
-I Hate Dragons Edit: Read it! Such a funny concept :lol:
-White Sand prose version
-Aether of Night
-Sanderson's other unpublished novels/stories

Oof. Sorry this post is so long. :oops: Information overload, a tad?
Last edited by Zath on Sun May 13, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeremyguebert

Post by jeremyguebert » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:56 am

I love the thorough list, Zath.

Definitely recommend shortening your not-read list (I Hate Dragons is a great, funny short story, and River of Souls provides some excellent background information on a particular character from Wheel of Time), but that's definitely an impressive start.

Never having been to Utah, my own not-read list consists solely of Dragonsteel.
Evadamal

Post by Evadamal » Sun May 13, 2018 3:29 pm

I've read all the cosmere books. Never read any of the rest of his work. Worth it?
Zath

Post by Zath » Sun May 13, 2018 5:41 pm

Evadamal wrote:Worth it?
In a word?
Yes.

...Were you expecting more of an answer than that? ;)

Very well, then (ahem):

I definitely recommend The Reckoners series (Steelheart, Firefight, and Calamity). Action, humor, suspense, compelling plot; classic Sanderson. It's generally considered more of a "young adult" novel than his other books, but IMO it's just as intense as Mistborn or the Stormlight Archive. The Reckoners series is definitely Epic (yes, with a capital "E").

The Rithmatist is great, though it is a bit less intense than his other novels. Mystery, great characters, an intriguing magic system (it is Sanderson, after all), suspense, and his classic twist-that-takes-you-by-surprise-even-though-looking-back-you-can-see-all-the-clues-were-there-the-whole-time. I loved it.

Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians is targeted at a middle-grade audience, but it's so hilarious and clever that I think anyone at any age would enjoy it. I sure do. All the books are fairly quick reads. Yet another intriguing magic system, wacky, fun, hilarious, interesting characters -- the works. If you decide to read these, try to get the editions that are illustrated by Hayley Lazo. Her art does a fantastic job of capturing the world and characters, IMO.

The Snapshot novella is pretty mind-blowing, I really liked it.
The Legion novellas are great: modern-day private eye story with a crazy twist (emphasis on "crazy").
I enjoyed the Firstborn novella, though it's one of his earlier works and thus not quite as good as some of his other stuff.
Perfect State.... Eh, it was okay. Interesting concept, but I didn't particularly like where Sanderson took it.

The Wheel of Time is a looooooong haul. Excellent world-building, epic battles, intrigue (so much intrigue), and some fascinating "costs" for using magic to solve your problems (Saidin in particular). If you're considering it, read the first one (The Eye of the World) and only continue if you enjoy Robert Jordan's writing on its own merit (if you don't like Jordan's style, it's not worth reading all of them just to get to the ones written by Sanderson). It took me forever to get through it all, but the last three books -- where all the plot lines finally come together -- were extremely satisfying. There are a few fight scenes in there that I would LOVE to see on the big screen. ...Well, more than a few, but I definitely have a couple that are higher up on the list than the rest.
That being said, if I were to read the series again I think I'd choose to skip about half of the books -- sometimes the plot is frustratingly slow. I would read the three by Sanderson again, though, which might facilitate reading all the others... <shrugs> I dunno. :|
Also, most of the female characters all start to feel like the same person if you ask me ("I swear, if anyone sniffs disapprovingly or smooths their skirts one more time, I will scream." :roll: ).

Alright, I'm done. Hope my rambling was helpful! :mrgreen:

Return to “General”