Shadows of Self Spoiler Discussion

A place to do whatever, out of character.
Mac

Re: Shadows of Self Spoiler Discussion

Post by Mac » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:08 pm

Ah. Well then.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:26 am

Awww man! I'm late to the party!

I agree with Mac; fSteel seems totally broken in this book. All those Feruchemists wasted by the Steel Ministry granting Inquisitors fGold, when fSteel was an option!

I was most excited by the description of the probably Worldhopper emerging from a pool. Have we had confirmation on Poolhopping yet?

EDIT: Oooh, we have. Cool. Have we considered the possibility that the Pool out in the Roughs is "Trell's"?
PhantomMonstrosity

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Kurkistan wrote:recall that it's widely held that the reason kandra and Inquisitors didn't mix is that they can spot the Blessings
That's not why, though

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/32 ... l/?p=65351
Asked Brandon at the rithmatist signing. He simply said it was because kandra had made up the rule themselves that they would not go near inquisitors. They knew that some inquisitors might be originally soothers or rioters on top of the inquisitor hemuralgy powers. This would make those inquisitors strong enough to control a kandra. Rather than risk having they're secret rediscovered because they got to close to a double soothing inquisitors, they made up a rule in they're contract that everyone knows that they won't go near inquisitors, even if the employers don't know why. Not as crafty of an answer as we might of hoped but it's the one Brandon gave me personally.
Remember that vin needed to be super juiced up on the mists before she could even see the lines for TLR's atium bracers.

As for F-steel, I'm kind of assuming it works like doing a fighting game combo on reflex. Tons of ultra-precise, ultra-fast movements but basically no thought involved. Her super-speed was never really in any situation that would require a change of plans, just very quick execution of a predecided course of action.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:24 pm

Huh. I'd never seen that one before. Cool, thanks. I guess I stand corrected.

I sill hold that seeing Blessings is a pretty natural extension of steelsight, but now lack evidence other than Wax.
PhantomMonstrosity

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:31 pm

Tensoon was obviously carrying royalties from his lucrative licensed merchandise.

Either that or he was going to talk to Wax and give his own two cents.
Mac

Post by Mac » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:57 pm

Except that Bleeder was at the bottom of the steps, about to open the door, turned to see Wax ALSO moving at super speeds, and apparently "speed" also increases the rate at which your eyes process information because Wax should have looked like a blur to her but he did not, and she was able to see what he was doing and react, all in the tiniest fraction of a second. So she's not simply walking through a prearranged set of steps at ludicrous speed, she sees the world like she's going everywhere in a portable bendalloy bubble.

Is there a reason a steelrunner couldn't have been responsible for the Vanishers robberies the first time? I haven't yet given this any thought so I don't have an answer myself yet, and I'm about to pass out. Still. I feel like it's surprising in retrospect that they didn't just assume it was a steelrunner, since they kept talking about it being a matter of not having enough time. Speed bubbles were mentioned and dismissed, but feruchemical steel was never even thought of.
PhantomMonstrosity

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:48 pm

Other small things

The precinct has a leecher on staff, so they do have access to chromium and chromium mistings in Elendel.

Sterris mentions at the party that wax is trying to push the earrings out of every ladies' ear with his steelbubble. That's probably just a figure of speech, but interesting anyway.

Does Sazed have a two-power 'perk', since individually the powers he has can't be used to create, but together they can?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: earrings- I wonder what sort of earrings are in style at the moment. If they are the kind of earrings with little dangly bits that could explain why Wax was pushing on them- only the bits that pierced the ear would be push-resistant. The dangly bits would be easily push able.
PhantomMonstrosity

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Herowannabe wrote:Re: earrings- I wonder what sort of earrings are in style at the moment. If they are the kind of earrings with little dangly bits that could explain why Wax was pushing on them- only the bits that pierced the ear would be push-resistant. The dangly bits would be easily push able.
I imagine that depends on how the earring sees itself as a whole, right?
Mac

Post by Mac » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:10 pm

I suspect this is one of the times that physical fact trumps "how an earring sees itself." Allomancy, as Elend pointed out, is one of the more concrete Investitures.

Return to “General”