Telekinetic Allomancy in Conflicts

A place to do whatever, out of character.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Telekinetic Allomancy in Conflicts

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Well like I said, it would be difficult at best, just because there are so many ways to interpret rules and so much of the MAG is off the cuff. At minimum it would require each match to have a referee/narrator to assign difficulties and approve actions and make judgements. Even then I expect it would result in hurt feelings and upset players.

Thanks for the heads up on the Awakening rules. I'll try to get that fixed today.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:59 pm

On an unrelated note, I'd like to note that I didn't have any hurt feelings when you murdered Lola or anything, so sorry if I gave you any. :(
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:36 pm

@Fishrage: okay got the Awakening rules copied to my google drive. Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/193J ... 0HKhcNSP_I

@Kurkistan: oh I wasn't under the impression that you felt slighted or anything, but I can just foresee the situation arising, especially in a Tournament situation where (whether official or not) ranking is being tracked. At some point someone is going to get jaded because the narrator ruled that such and such power didn't work the way he thought it should. This thread is a good example actually... "What do you mean I can't Steelpush him away? So what if he's a Koloss-blooded Pewterarm, he's wearing plate mail and I've got plenty of things to anchor to, I should be able to fling him away with hardly any effort!"

You get the idea. ;)
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:47 pm

Lol. "Alright, it works but you crush your skeleton. Mortal Burden."

What if we each had multiple entrants? That way if one of our things doesn't work they way we think it should that guy can drop and our sub can join?

What kind of characters would be allowed? Like, how much AP?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:12 pm

You know, before we derail this thread too much, let me just create a new thread to continue the discussion. ;)

EDIT: New thread here.
Mac

Post by Mac » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:46 pm

Herowannabe wrote: I was going to call it the MAACC:
Whaaat?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:14 am

Okay, It's been a little while and I have had some more time to mill things over. I think I'm pretty happy with a rule system similar to the ones that Sir Jerric laid out in the first post of this thread, but I do still feel that something in missing. So I have an idea for an addition to his basic rules (see below). To summarize what he said (with a few minor tweaks in gray):

Steelpushing and Ironpulling other characters
Steelpushes against other characters are always treated as contests. Outside of conflicts, the targeted character forms a pool according to normal contest rules, generally using their Physique score.

A character who anticipates their equipment being targeted by Telekinetic Allomancy can declare an action that directly resists the Allomancer's action, placing the two into a contest. The winner of the contest has control over the effects of the push/pull, including who moves where, and has the privilege of spending nudges to deal damage or gain perks. A stalemate incurs one complication against each side.

Without taking an action to achieve leverage, the targeted character may roll to set a difficulty value for the Allomancer's challenge roll. Nudges are ignored.the targeted character may still spend Action and/or Defense dice to defend against the Steelpush/Ironpull, just like from a normal attack. However, in this situation if he beats the Allomancer he does not get any control over movement and may not spend nudges.

Regardless of the Outcomes, the Narrator should remember that once an Iron or Steel action has been taken, something almost always moves, and narrate the results appropriately.

---

And now, for my additions:
Upon successfully steelpushing/ironpulling someone: You may move the target character 1 step away/towards you (respectively) for each point of Outcome you achieved UP TO your allomancy's range limit. Nudges may be spent for various perks, as per usual, including inflicting damage.

And the new addition:
A Coinshot or Lurcher may take an action to anchor himself. This works just like the "Aiming" mechanic from the Alloy of Law Supplement, pg 133. To restate it in terms of anchoring:
  • Anchoring
    Coinshots and Lurchers frequently use heavy or fixed sources of metal to "anchor" to, putting greater force behind their pushes and pulls and allowing them to affect objects that weigh more than they do. Anchoring does not have any effect when pushing/pulling objects that weight less than half of the Allomancer's weight, such as coins or metal weapons.

To Anchor, the Allomancer must spend an entire Beat picking out immovable sources of metal to stabilize herself with, taking no other action beyond taking a Step. The next time the Allomancer performs a steelpush or ironpull with the intent to move another object/person, the Difficulty of the push/pull is reduced by 1 (to a minimum of 1). Likewise if another character is defending against the Push/pull the result of the Defender's roll is reduced by 1. Once you’ve made your Steelpush/Ironpull, or you take more than 1 Step during a Beat prior to making a push/pull, this bonus is lost.

Along with that I would allow for the "Fast Aiming" stunt to also be copied over to Anchoring:

• Stunt: Instinctive Anchoring
    When burning Iron or Steel you instinctively choose out metal lines that you can use to anchor yourself to when performing Ironpulls or Steelpushes. You may Anchor and Push/Pull in the same Beat, just as if you had Anchored in the previous Beat. However, the extra time required means your action occurs in Step 2 of this Round as if your dice pool is only half as large as it actually is, rounded down (see the Mistborn Adventure Game, page 179).

I'm still not 100% sold on the idea, so I'd like some feedback. But I do like this as a way of allowing Coinshots and Lurchers a bit more power with their pushes/pulls. It does still allow for the targeted character to defend, but in a case where an Anchored Coinshot is pushing on someone in chainmail, it gives the Coinshot a greater chance of success (and rightfully so).

Thoughts?

EDIT: Clarified the parts that Mac mentioned in the next post.
Mac

Post by Mac » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:25 am

1. Maybe change it to "this doesn't work when the object is much smaller than the allomancer" so that people don't quibble about "well you're pushing on that dude's chainmail but he's only five foot so technically you're bigger and can't do that". Maybe change the whole thing to "weighs much less" cuz a solid block of iron could be tiny compared to an allomancer and weigh far, far more.

2. Etou... your description of lowering the Result of an attempt to resist it... I feel like no one will get it mistaken because it's obvious what you mean, but it feels... clunky to me? I can't think of a way to simply change it, and it prolly doesn't need to be changed, because everyone will realize what is intended, and if you take your time and parse the sentence it says that... I just wonder if it could be phrased more clearly. But that's a "final polish" sort of critique.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:18 pm

1. Good point. I will make that change.

2. I actually copied and pasted both those paragraphs directly from the alloy of law supplement, and then changed the relevant words to make it fit Anchoring instead of Aiming. But yeah, it could be phrased more clearly.

EDIT: I edited both parts you mentioned to make them clearer.
Mac

Post by Mac » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:52 pm

The fact that I can only find nitpicky things to nitpick about is my version of a compliment.

Return to “General”