Deader Threader

A place to do whatever, out of character.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Deader Threader

Post by Kadrok » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:11 am

Gargoyle wrote:
Kadrok wrote:[ Ranette is constantly interacting with metal, and metal of different kinds
More specifically, she has to actually pay attention to the kind of metal she grabs, whereas Wax just cares about how big it is.
Exactly. Ranette is the best.
PhantomMonstrosity

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:22 am

Mac wrote:I'm going to ignore your questions as you've been ignoring mine.

This is Kad's thread about a different topic, and I for one am going to stop de-railing it. Please feel free to take the last word, knowing I will not respond.

Your arguments were accepted as fact five hundred years ago, before Galileo disproved them. If you'd like to continue arguing against the past four centuries of physics,
Ok, that's it.

I will try one more time. Read this quote from NASA, and in particular the part that I have bolded. Specifically, the part you have been ignoring in my posts. Specifically, the thing I have repeatedly been saying that I am including - air resistance.
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/mofall.html

The remarkable observation that all free falling objects fall at the same rate was first proposed by Galileo, nearly 400 years ago. Galileo conducted experiments using a ball on an inclined plane to determine the relationship between the time and distance traveled. He found that the distance depended on the square of the time and that the velocity increased as the ball moved down the incline. The relationship was the same regardless of the mass of the ball used in the experiment The story that Galileo demonstrated his findings by dropping two cannon balls off the Leaning Tower of Pisa is just a legend. However, if the experiment had been attempted, he would have observed that one ball hit before the other! Falling cannon balls are not actually free falling - they are subject to air resistance and would fall at different terminal velocities.
So to answer your question, yes, the heavier ball hits first, and NASA says so too.
Last edited by PhantomMonstrosity on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:37 am

And done. Conversation over. Thank you for that colourful discussion gentlemen, and if I knew anything about Physics I'm sure I could have contributed (watch this space... in a few years I'll do a Physics degree and then necro the hell out of this post).

Lets get back to Iron awesomeness, shall we?

In terms of the game, is Pairing Lurching with Skimming even worth it? And to what extent can Bloodmaking replace Skimming (bracing yourself on heavy objects, and healing the strain damage with Gold)?
jeremyguebert

Post by jeremyguebert » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:47 am

I could see Bloodmaking helping with massive pulls in that way, and it has benefits of its own too, but you'd lose a lot of mobility - with compounded Skimming, you are your own massive, mobile anchor, whereas with the Bloodmaking instant-healing allowing you to pull on heavier things, you'd still need an external anchor.

A campaign in the big city probably wouldn't notice as much, but if you're ever out in the roughs miles away from any large and concentrated sources of metal, you'd have some issues.
Mac

Post by Mac » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:37 pm

I'm not sure I concur that Wax didn't have overlapping interest. He did try to determine the type of metal the aluminum guns were. And he frequently uses steellines to track miscreants. And he does seem aware that it's something Ranette can do. I know she's better at metallurgy, and generally better at all that stuff, but he is a steel savant, I believe.

The line is something sorta throwaway in alloy; when the first meet Ranette, Wax thinks to himself that she can tell what kind of metal something is because she's a Lurcher. If he meant, she can tell something is metal, or, she can tell this is aluminum cuz it's metal but she can't see a line to it, it would be a SUPER awkward way of saying that. I believe someone asked him a follow-up on the AMA and he gave one of those frustrating, I'm not gonna say it's impossible answers.

I will get the direct quote, and try to find the RAFO of Brandon, when I get home in a few hours.

EDIT: As for Iron/Gold...

Well, it's a trade-off of specialization for utility. I'd personally be against it, but my personal philosophy is that each team member should specialize, and the whole team should have synergy. A box of tools with a hammer, a saw, etc, instead of a box filled with swiss army knives; sure, they can each do a lot of things, but not as well as the real tool.

You get all the stuff a Bloodmaker gets, which is nice, but you lose a ton of Deader things. No Compounding, no Compounding Stunts. And as has been pointed out, there are some things you'll just never be able to do. If you try to pull apart a train from the inside, it'll never work. You can heal yourself all you want, but that's not applying any more force to the train car. All the energy is going into ripping your body apart. Gold doesn't prevent the damage, it doesn't hold your tendons or bones in place, it just fixes it after it happens. So all that force wouldn't be going to destroying the train, it would be destroying your body, and all gold would do would be to fix it immediately.

So, that's the trade-off. For someone on their own, it's prolly a good idea. More utility, less power. If you were on a team, I'd say to stick with Deader.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Mac wrote:So, that's the trade-off. For someone on their own, it's prolly a good idea. More utility, less power. If you were on a team, I'd say to stick with Deader.
I do like the team thing, with everyone being the best at their thing... okay, you've talked me back into Deader or Lurcher.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:16 pm

At the risk of starting The Argument (TM) again, has anyone else seen this?

I've put it in the OOC because it's a BoM spoiler.
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Seonid wrote:Yeah, totally Khriss. Also, I asked Brandon about the other thing she was talking about - the conservation of momentum thing - and he confirmed one of my previous guesses about Iron Feruchemy (I can't remember if I've posted about my guess before or not) - but he confirmed that Feruchemical iron modifies your body's interaction with the Higgs field.

Which seems the simplest way to achieve the results we see. Doesn't explain the strength change, but that could likely be explained by additional Cognitive stuff going on. But the physical process of storing/tapping mass is actually a result of messing with the Higgs field.
Source: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/52 ... /?p=392774

Return to “General”