Deader Threader

A place to do whatever, out of character.
Sir Jerric

Re: Deader Threader

Post by Sir Jerric » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:15 am

I noticed the lack of Lurchers as well. I think Sanderson would have sorted that problem out if he had a Lurcher PoV anywhere in the series; almost all his magic powers become better once tied to a significant character.

As for Pull, he survived Wax's efforts both up and down the skyscraper, but took an aluminum rifle round just before he reached earth.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:39 am

Sir Jerric wrote:I noticed the lack of Lurchers as well. I think Sanderson would have sorted that problem out if he had a Lurcher PoV anywhere in the series; almost all his magic powers become better once tied to a significant character.

As for Pull, he survived Wax's efforts both up and down the skyscraper, but took an aluminum rifle round just before he reached earth.
I guess it means I can play all the Lurchers I want without feeling like I'm just aping a main character. Maybe if I ever befriend/save-the-life-of Brandon the boon I'll ask for is being written into the series as a Lurcher.

The reason I ask about Pull is that he's the only AoL Combat Lurcher I can think of, and I'm trying to remember if he even lasted long enough to do anything interesting with his metal. I seem to remember the Coinshot lasting longer *sigh* Too many Coinshots! I'm feeling a bit Coinshot saturated at the moment.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:41 am

I'd be surprised if we don't see an iron compounder at some point in the series. There is just too much potential for awesome being able to increase your weight and rip stuff apart. ;)

But in the meantime yes, I agree. There is a noticeable lack of Lurchers in the series.
Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:19 pm

Died pretty quick, taken out by Sniper-Marasi with an aluminum round. Once the fight begins, Push bothers Wax for a bit alone, then the two of them climb up Ironspire Tower with him, then on the way down he dies.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:06 pm

Brandon has no idea how to use Lurchers. Wow.

There's a far bigger difference in power between Steelrunners and Brutes, yet he still manages to throw in a Brute here and there. Why not Lurchers?!
Mac

Post by Mac » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:24 pm

Maybe he's just saving up Lurchers for something amazing? Maybe it's gonna be a huge character in Era 3, and he knows that, so he's not breaking them out yet?

EDIT: I've heard it vaguely speculated that Lurchers have an easier time determining metal by type via lines than Coinshots. Maybe he's holding back so that in the next trilogy there can be a forensics expert Lurcher, comparing two spent bullets. "Nope. The alloy is subtly different; these were definitely not cast together."
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:26 pm

Mac wrote:EDIT: I've heard it vaguely speculated that Lurchers have an easier time determining metal by type via lines than Coinshots.
That would seem odd to me. If that is the case, perhaps it's because Lurchers are forced by the limitations of their powers to explore more angles for using them, whereas Coinshots are carried by the fact that they can fly and deflect bullets.

It's a bit like how Vin notes that Mistborn never reach the specialization in any one metal that Mistings do... Steel has very obvious and direct applications, and it's easy to get lost in just being good at those applications. Lurchers lack that distraction.

I don't know, just spit-balling. What reasons do the speculators give?
Mac

Post by Mac » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:17 am

I concur; most allomancy doesn't work like that. Push/Pull are either flagrantly different, or basically the same.

The reason given is, "Because Iron is Pulling, so you 'Pull' more information." Which is ... dumb. It's like saying the Surge of Progression gives you power over anything in front of you, because Progression means Forward.

But hey, it also doesn't make sense that feruchemical zinc makes you hungry so, sometimes things are just sorta random. In real life science, we're sometimes able to observe a phenomenon without yet understanding the reason why, after all.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:53 pm

Mac wrote:The reason given is, "Because Iron is Pulling, so you 'Pull' more information." Which is ... dumb. It's like saying the Surge of Progression gives you power over anything in front of you, because Progression means Forward.
That's it? That's what they're going with? That's... no... just no. That's not a real reason, that's a play on words.
Mac

Post by Mac » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:16 pm

Why I have basically forsaken the Shard, really.

Return to “General”