MAG Collecting - Where to begin?

A place to do whatever, out of character.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: MAG Collecting - Where to begin?

Post by Kadrok » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:18 am

PhantomMonstrosity wrote:When the game came out initially, they gave away a free mistborn novella/short story collection (not by Brandon) called "house of ashes", and it's really poorly written.
Epically bad. One guy had the job of finding a way to explain what all the Allomantic metals do, but in a subtle and smooth way within a story.

The plot he went with is that pamphlets explaining the Allomantic metals are handed out, and the rest of the chapter is what's in the pamphlets.

"Nailed it!"

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.
PhantomMonstrosity

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:21 am

Kadrok wrote:
PhantomMonstrosity wrote:When the game came out initially, they gave away a free mistborn novella/short story collection (not by Brandon) called "house of ashes", and it's really poorly written.
Epically bad. One guy had the job of finding a way to explain what all the Allomantic metals do, but in a subtle and smooth way within a story.

The plot he went with is that pamphlets explaining the Allomantic metals are handed out, and the rest of the chapter is what's in the pamphlets.

"Nailed it!"

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.
The thing is, he was so close to a good idea.

Put in the pamplets, have them be poorly written and inaccurate, then add ministry commentary. That way you'd get across that skaa are mostly illiterate, that the city skaa aren't really that in-touch with plantation conditions, that allomancy is poorly-understood by skaa, and that the Finale Empire is an oppressive bureaucratic regime which actually knows how the magic works.

For example, do something like this:
"Atium makes nobles invincible, it is addictive like streetspice so they all want it. They make it by putting the blood of the most hated skaa rebels into a furnace and smelting it into metal." While this is, of course, utter nonsense, it still strikes too close to the truth. Instruct Lord Venture to discipline the troops he has guarding the Pits of Hathsim.

The addiction misconception is most common in the Northern Dominance. The source of the pamphlet is likely located in or around the Venture Estate.
Basically a bunch of texts from different skaa sources, all with different misconceptions tied together by an obligator making notes on them in red ink. Then have the last set be written by kelsier, as instructions on how to kill various types of allomancers. Final page has a big blood splatter on it, and Kelsier writes a little witty comment in the obligator's blood.

Instead of:
aTiUm, The GreaTesT meTaL
Atium is the basis of the economy of the Final Empire, and the most powerful
of all Allomantic metals. It allows the burner to see into the future for a short pe-riod of time. Burners of Atium, or Seers, see what a person may do in the coming
moments. In battle, this means perfect refl exes, perfect defense, and the ability to
attack preemptively where a person will be in a moment. It is the metal that gives
noble houses their power, and allows the Lord Ruler to maintain control.
Atium is the cause and source of all of our misery and bondage. Every day for
a thousand years, skaa men and women have been worked to death in the Pits of
Hathsin and other such torture chambers. Our survival has been contingent upon
fi nding these foul rocks, and we have supported the Lord Ruler’s vile regime with
our blood and souls. We have paid for this Atium a thousand times over, and now
we will take it from him.
Allomancy is the Lord Ruler’s way of separating his elites from his slaves.
We have stolen the power from him, and will fi ght to the death to keep it. Through
our misting and mistborn brothers and sisters, and the techniques in this pamphlet,
the skaa rebellion will undermine and destroy the Final Empire once and for all.
Be strong, and we will prevail.
Last edited by PhantomMonstrosity on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:03 am, edited 9 times in total.
Tomalak

Post by Tomalak » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:29 am

PhantomMonstrosity wrote:
Tomalak wrote:
PhantomMonstrosity wrote:If you want some laughs, I'll email you a copy of House of Ashes.
This sounds interesting. Why is it funny?
When the game came out initially, they gave away a free mistborn novella/short story collection (not by Brandon) called "house of ashes", and it's really poorly written.

How bad? In House of Ashes, Hazekillers put little hooks on their armor so when they fight a mistborn they can literally weigh him down with their dead.

It's actually pretty funny, in a MST3K sort of way.
I..
I don't...

I am so sad.
Kadrok wrote:
Tomalak wrote:
Herowannabe wrote: Terris: Wrought of Copper tells you all about the Terris people and the city of Tathingdwen, and has a bunch of Terris-only Stunts, Networks, and equipment. It also has the "Justice, Like Ash" adventure, where the crew sets out to investigate a Terris Steward accused of murdering a Prelan, if you ever want to run that as a Narrator.
What are Networks, and are they only explained in T:WoC?
They were introduced in WoC because WoC was the first "Racial" supplement, but they're in Skaa: Tin and Ash too. Basically they're racially locked groups you can be affiliated with, like the Synod or the Skaa Rebellion, which give you a special ability and a bonus trait. But you can only have one Network and you lose both those bonuses temporarily if you don't obey the rules of the Network.

e.g. Terry has the Synod Agent network. Terry walked right up to an Obligator and said "Hey, did you know the Synod is a thing? Want me to take you to a meeting?" Terry lost his Synod privileges until he can smooth things over next long breather. Don't be like Terry.
This is not at all what I was hoping for. This sounds bad. Thank you for the clarification.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:57 am

Tomalak wrote: Kadrok wrote:
Tomalak wrote:
Herowannabe wrote:
Terris: Wrought of Copper tells you all about the Terris people and the city of Tathingdwen, and has a bunch of Terris-only Stunts, Networks, and equipment. It also has the "Justice, Like Ash" adventure, where the crew sets out to investigate a Terris Steward accused of murdering a Prelan, if you ever want to run that as a Narrator.

What are Networks, and are they only explained in T:WoC?
They were introduced in WoC because WoC was the first "Racial" supplement, but they're in Skaa: Tin and Ash too. Basically they're racially locked groups you can be affiliated with, like the Synod or the Skaa Rebellion, which give you a special ability and a bonus trait. But you can only have one Network and you lose both those bonuses temporarily if you don't obey the rules of the Network.

e.g. Terry has the Synod Agent network. Terry walked right up to an Obligator and said "Hey, did you know the Synod is a thing? Want me to take you to a meeting?" Terry lost his Synod privileges until he can smooth things over next long breather. Don't be like Terry.

This is not at all what I was hoping for. This sounds bad. Thank you for the clarification.
I don't feel like Kadrok's explanation does Networks justice. They're basically super-traits, but have some RP rules you have to follow in order to benefit from them. Each one adds a trait (just like a regular trait) and has some other perk or ability associated with it, along with the rules needed to maintain it. For example:
Skaa Network:
YEDEN’S REBELLION (SKAA ONLY)
An entire army of armed skaa, Yeden’s rebellion (see page 77) wants to topple the Final Empire and free the skaa.

Rules: Keep the rebellion’s location secret; secure additional provisions and supplies for the rebels; contribute to the training of skaa troops.

Network Trait: Skaa Resistance Fighter

Benefits: When you spend a Nudge to deal extra damage against a member of the Steel Ministry, increase the damage by 2 instead of 1. You may only use this ability with one Nudge per attack.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:18 am

Yikes. Please don't take from my brief description that Networks are bad, they're actually super cool. Not that I've had the opportunity to play with one yet... :(

They're basically a trait+stunt combo but with a dash of "play to your alignment" added.
Tomalak

Post by Tomalak » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:19 pm

Kadrok wrote:Yikes. Please don't take from my brief description that Networks are bad, they're actually super cool. Not that I've had the opportunity to play with one yet... :(

They're basically a trait+stunt combo but with a dash of "play to your alignment" added.
It's not that they sound like a bad thing, they are just terribly named. I was expecting something like a contacts/connections mechanic. Perhaps something like this:
Networks are groups of people knowledgeable in a specific subject or practiced in a specific task. When you are taking an action appropriate to the group's specialty, add +1 die. Alternatively, you can roll Attribute + Network instead of a normal roll when seeking information.

Networks have a rating just like attributes, but the meaning of the number is more flexible. It is a combination of how large a network is, how connected/powerful it's members are, and how beholden to you they feel. Networks cannot be raised above six dice.

Remember, networks are not magical fields that grant a bonus - they are groups of people that owe you favors, are your friends, or consider you a member. If you call on them too often, you may find them expecting help in return!

Example: Ham sometimes does mercenary work, and is friendly with many of Luthadel's garrison. In Final Empire he goes to his friends in the garrison for information, and gets more than he expected when they ask him to come along!
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:39 pm

Honestly that sounds just like Influence but with added obligations.
Tomalak

Post by Tomalak » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:47 pm

I have read the book, but I haven't played MAG yet, so some of the mechanics haven't really 'gelled' in my mind yet. Still, that's what I assumed Networks were; related to influence, or subsets thereof. Instead of named traits with pros & cons. That sounds more like allegiance or membership. W/E
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:25 am

PhantomMonstrosity wrote:The thing is, he was so close to a good idea.

Put in the pamplets, have them be poorly written and inaccurate, then add ministry commentary. That way you'd get across that skaa are mostly illiterate, that the city skaa aren't really that in-touch with plantation conditions, that allomancy is poorly-understood by skaa, and that the Finale Empire is an oppressive bureaucratic regime which actually knows how the magic works.

For example, do something like this:
"Atium makes nobles invincible, it is addictive like streetspice so they all want it. They make it by putting the blood of the most hated skaa rebels into a furnace and smelting it into metal." While this is, of course, utter nonsense, it still strikes too close to the truth. Instruct Lord Venture to discipline the troops he has guarding the Pits of Hathsim.

The addiction misconception is most common in the Northern Dominance. The source of the pamphlet is likely located in or around the Venture Estate.
Basically a bunch of texts from different skaa sources, all with different misconceptions tied together by an obligator making notes on them in red ink. Then have the last set be written by kelsier, as instructions on how to kill various types of allomancers. Final page has a big blood splatter on it, and Kelsier writes a little witty comment in the obligator's blood.
Aha! *pulls off Phantom's mask* Mercury Compounder, is that you?!
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/74 ... iew_page=1
"And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you measly Mistings and your lousy Kandra!"

But seriously... this review of House of Ashes is full of stuff you've said. I don't suppose you're the same person as the reviewer?
PhantomMonstrosity

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:52 am

It's a pretty obvious solution - especially if you've read the Dresden RPG core books (which are written with the conceit that Dresden Et Al are publishing a RPG to reveal all the supernatural stuff in the same way that Dracula revealed all the weaknesses of Black Court Vampires). Those have commentary from Dresden, Bob the Skull, and Billy the Werewolf, including passages that are highlighted with notes like 'don't publish this information, it's too dangerous if it gets out', or 'we don't know a lot about this person, our stats are largely speculation and probably underpowered', or just in-character banter.

Return to “General”