Work in Progress: Stormlight Rules

A place to do whatever, out of character.
cometaryorbit

Re: Work in Progress: Stormlight Rules

Post by cometaryorbit » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:50 pm

Mac wrote: Also there's a recent WoB where he talks about how he thought of this, and getting huge chunks of radioactive material and just pushing them together by hand wouldn't set off a nuclear explosion.
Yeah, I'd think not (though you'd get a big burst of radiation lethal to everyone nearby) but Soulcasting something way over a critical mass (like Jasnah's boulder) into plutonium probably would.

Could you even make steel with just one Essence? Wouldn't it require some Plant? Is making an alloy an especially advanced technique, like learning how to Soulcast a finished cake?
I don't think we know enough to answer those questions with any certainty, but I don't think the Essences line up with elements that way...many rocks are metal oxides/sulfides/etc but Stone is a different Essence from Metal.

I have a feeling the definition of what falls under what Essence is probably Cognitive, actually, since Fire is an Essence and that's not really a "substance" at all but a chemical reaction (unless what you're soulcasting is actually the glowing, heated gases visible as flames?)

Do you Soulcast obsidian with Lucentia (glass) or Talus (stone)?

And given that "any non-oil liquid" is under Blood, can you soulcast lava with a garnet, or do you need a topaz, or is it not possible at all? What about molten metal? Can ice be soulcast, and if so, is it under Blood for "non-oil liquid" as water, or Lucentia for crystal?

EDIT: fixed quote tag
Mac

Post by Mac » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:12 pm

I have long wondered if Soulcasting is limited to "things which are liquid at room temperature".

Hrm, regarding Talus, we only know of things having been Soulcast into Marble, or the stone windbreaks/barracks on the Shattered Plains. It's possible that you actual can only Soulcast into pure stone with no metal in it at all with Soulcasting, unless you also use an amethyst.
cometaryorbit

Post by cometaryorbit » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:32 am

Mac wrote:I have long wondered if Soulcasting is limited to "things which are liquid at room temperature".
Maybe so, but there would still be edge cases -- even if you can't soulcast lava (which is entirely likely), that doesn't entirely solve the question of principles. (For example, for substances that have melting points near room temperature, would an Arctic inhabitant and a tropical inhabitant have different things available under "non-oil liquid"?)

And what about mercury? Definitely liquid at room temperature, definitely a metal -- do you use Blood or Talus?
Hrm, regarding Talus, we only know of things having been Soulcast into Marble, or the stone windbreaks/barracks on the Shattered Plains.
Marble's mostly calcium carbonate, though, so still has metal atoms in it.

Most rock-forming minerals are either silicate (silicon plus oxygen) or some metal plus oxygen/sulfur/sulfate/carbonate/phosphate/etc.

So I don't think the carbon atoms in steel would require you to use an Essence other than Talus.
Zath

Post by Zath » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:52 pm

I like the rules so far! Pretty cool.
cometaryorbit wrote:
Soulcaster Fabrials
are ancient items which modern artifabrians cannot replicate. They come in two types.
Limited Soulcaster – 90% of Soulcaster fabrials are limited. These items provide a Transformation rating of 4, but can only be used to perform one type of transformation (such as stone to grain). They are rare, precious, and religiously valued.
Full Soulcaster – These items provide a Transformation rating of 4 and full access to the Surge. They are rare and valuable beyond anything in the world except perhaps Shardblades and Plate.

Soulcasting Savantism. Oddly, continuous use of the power of transforming others makes one's physical form become stonelike - rigid and inflexible. A Soulcasting Savant gains one die and one Nudge on all Transformation rolls, but loses one die on Physique rolls based on agility/dexterity.
With Oathbringer, the Soulcasting Savantism and Soulcaster Fabrial rules can be polished up. Something like this, maybe:

Minor Oathbringer spoilers (do I still have to put these in OOC?):
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Limited Soulcaster Fabrials: A character using a Limited Soulcaster gradually takes on the qualities of the resulting substance that the fabrial is designed for. If a character spends more than 50 charges of Stormlight in a single session to successfully Soulcast, then they start to receive Burdens, with the severity depending on the number of charges (above 50) that are spent.

1-10 charges = Serious Burden
11-30 charges = Grave Burden
31+ charges = Mortal Burden

Note that these Burdens are only applied if a character has already spent 50 charges on successful Soulcast rolls during the current session. Charges spent on failed Soulcasting attempts are not considered when applying this rule. Also, Burdens are received for individual instances of Soulcasting (so there's no need to keep track of how many Stormlight charges you've used to Soulcast in the current session beyond the first 50).

Serious and Grave Burdens obtained in this fashion can only be healed through supernatural means (Regrowth, Gold Feruchemy, insane amounts of Stormlight, etc). Mortal Burdens obtained in this fashion cannot be healed, ever.

Only Burdens are inflicted, not Damage. This means that the character does not also lose Health as a result of using a Limited Soulcaster fabrial.

The character can take advantage of one of their own Burdens to add an appropriate number of dice to any future Soulcasting rolls involving the same Limited Soulcaster fabrial that inflicted the Burden in the first place.

For the purposes of this rule, a Short Breather will reduce the count of "successful Soulcast charges spent in the current session" by half, rounded down (as long as the character doesn't Soulcast anything for the duration of the Breather). A Long Breather will reset the count back to zero (again, only if they don't Soulcast).
Soulcasting Savants: With Narrator approval, any character who has either the Transformation Surge power, a Full Soulcaster fabrial Prop, or a Limited Soulcaster fabrial Prop can become a Savant in one of the Ten Essences. A character with only a Limited Soulcaster fabrial Prop can only become a Savant for the Essence that their fabrial specializes in.

A Savant gains two "free" Nudges for any roll made to Soulcast an object(s) into their chosen Essence or its Related Materials. The Savant loses two Nudges for any roll made to Soulcast an object(s) into a different Essence or its Related Materials. If this decreases the number of Nudges to below 0, then the Result of the roll is reduced by 1.

A character with the Transformation Surge power or a Full Soulcaster Prop may become a Savant for multiple Essences.
Last edited by Zath on Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac

Post by Mac » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:52 pm

Oathbringer
Considering it's supposed to take decades of consistent use for the effects to show, your rules seem a little... accelerated. I would either increase the amount of Charges needed drastically, or just ignore the whole mechanic and assume that no campaign is going to span actual decades. People with fabrials can just take on the traits as flavor-text if they choose.
Zath

Post by Zath » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:47 pm

Mac wrote:Oathbringer
Considering it's supposed to take decades of consistent use for the effects to show, your rules seem a little... accelerated. I would either increase the amount of Charges needed drastically, or just ignore the whole mechanic and assume that no campaign is going to span actual decades. People with fabrials can just take on the traits as flavor-text if they choose.
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that.

Plus, I realized that even if the rules I'd thought up were accurate to the novels (which, as you pointed out, they're not), no player would want to use that item. It'd be no fun, the rules are too harsh.

I tweaked the rules a bit, hopefully for the better.
Oathbringer
I do think there should be some drawback to using a Limited Soulcaster (beyond the "Limited" part, obviously :P ), specifically something that addresses the physical changes wrought in the user
Skullduggery

Post by Skullduggery » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:39 am

Shouldn't it be a damage bonus to holding stormlight?
WOR SPOILER
Szeth punch was able to break Adolin Bones

Return to “General”