Work in Progress: Stormlight Rules

A place to do whatever, out of character.
cometaryorbit

Re: Work in Progress: Stormlight Rules

Post by cometaryorbit » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:57 pm

GRAVITATION

Gravitation is the Surge of gravity. The two known effects of this Surge are Basic Lashings, changing the direction of gravity's pull on an object, and Reverse Lashings, giving an object a gravitational pull of its own.

Either type of Lashing loses Stormlight at a rate of 10 charges per minute (one charge per Beat in combat).

Basic Lashing – Minimum cost: 15; Variable

To create a Basic Lashing, you infuse Stormlight into an object within Touch Range (you can infuse yourself). This changes the direction of gravity relative to the infused object.

Applied to yourself, this can be used for travel, allowing you to “fly” by falling in your chosen direction at speeds up to 70 mph.

Applied to an opponent, this can be used to hurl them into the sky and then drop them, inflicting falling damage: Range Touch/Touch, Damage +2. This is an attack with Gravitation against the target's Physique (to dodge the infusion of Stormlight) or allomantic Iron, allomantic Steel, or Gravitation (to resist the pull of gravity). Storing Feruchemical iron can reduce the damage.

Reverse Lashing – Minimum cost: 5; Variable

To create a Reverse Lashing, you infuse Stormlight into an object within Touch Range (you can infuse yourself). This creates a 'bubble' of altered gravity around the infused object.

At the minimum cost of 5 charges, the bubble extends out to Striking Range. You can spend 5 additional charges (which do not contribute to the duration of the Lashing) to make the bubble extend to Close Range.

Attacks into or through the bubble with projectile weapons (arrows, thrown spears or knives, catapult stones, etc.) are redirected toward the infused object. When such an attack is made, you can roll Gravitation against the attacker's Result as a Reaction. You may add Action or Defense Dice to this roll if you wish. If your Gravitation Result beats the attacker’s Result, the attack is instead targeted at the infused object.
Last edited by cometaryorbit on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:44 pm

I'm happy to see you making progress on these rules. I just finished a reread of WoK and WoR. :)

One suggestion: the Reverse Lashing should probably be modeled as a reaction- the rules and mechanics are already in place and fit the situation perfectly:

If someone fires small projectiles through your gravity bubble, roll your power rating as a reaction to redirect the projectiles into the item you're infusing, adding action or defense dice if you want.

Simple, effective, and thematically appropriate. :)
cometaryorbit

Post by cometaryorbit » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:43 am

A very good point. I'll change that.
cometaryorbit

Post by cometaryorbit » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:19 pm

GRAVITATION (continued)

Stunts

Speed of Gravity – You have the precision and skill to use Basic Lashing “flight” effectively in combat. If you have a Basic Lashing active on yourself, you can take up to 2 steps toward or away from a target without penalty, or you may choose not to gain any Action or Defense dice for the round to take 3 steps toward or away from a target.

Personal Gravity – A Basic Lashing on yourself depletes at only 1 charge per minute, allowing long-distance 'flight'.

Precise Basic Lashing – You can create Basic Lashings by spending as few as 10 Stormlight charges. These still deplete Stormlight at the normal speed.

Partial Lashing – You can create partial Basic Lashings to reduce the weight of yourself or others, at a minimum cost of 10 charges (or 5 if you also have the Precise Basic Lashing stunt). While so Lashed, you gain two dice with Physique rolls to jump or climb, and damage from falling drops by 2. However, other characters gain two dice when attempting to grapple or throw you, or for any other activity that pits their weight against yours.

Extended Reverse Lashing – When creating a Reverse Lashing, you can spend 15 additional charges (which do not contribute to the duration of the Lashing) to make the bubble extend to Medium Range rather than Striking Range.
cometaryorbit

Post by cometaryorbit » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:01 pm

Edited the first post to change the numbers for Stormlight healing and spending charges and add in a bit about Stormlight exhaustion.

EDIT: Also edited Gravitation's Reverse Lashing as per Herowannabe's suggestion.

I'm going to have to "skip ahead" in the Surge list.

We know basically nothing about Division, Cohesion, or Tension.

We've seen Abrasion and Transportation used a little, but not enough to go on. Likely we'll see more of Abrasion in "Edgedancer".

So I think the only Surges left that we really have enough to work with are Progression, Illumination, and Transformation.
bobbyboone

Post by bobbyboone » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:25 pm

I really like the simplicity of your Stormlight and surgebinding rules, and after reading Edgedancer, I thought I'd take a stab at Abrasion. I only did slicking, though, since that's all we've really seen.

My goal was to be simple, but also make it possible to do things that Lift does in Edgedancer and WoR. Let me know what you think!

ABRASION

Abrasion is the surge of friction. A Surgebinder with this Surge may both increase friction and decrease friction (called Slicking).

Slicked objects and surfaces lose stormlight at a rate of 10 charges per minute, or 1 per beat.

Slicking - Minimum cost: 10; variable

To slick a surface or object by infusing it with Stormlight, it must be within Touch Range. You may also slick your own skin. This reduces the friction of that surface to nothing.

Anyone trying to grab, hold, or pin a slicked object must succeed in a challenge roll pitting their Physique vs half your Abrasion score rounded up. In addition, all slicked objects not secured will slide down even the slightest slope.

If a floor or other surface is slicked, anyone attempting to move or take action across the infused portion must make a Physique roll, with a challenge rating of half your Abrasion score rounded up, with failure resulting in them falling to the floor. Whether they fall or not, they will move across the surface in a straight line. If a character was standing on the slicked surface when it was infused, they must make the same Physique roll, falling if they fail. Whether or not they fail this roll, they are trapped in the same spot until either the infused Stormlight runs out or they can use their surroundings to pull or push themselves off the slicked area.

Slicking an opponent is an attack pitting your Abrasion against the target's Physique (to dodge). On a successful attack, the opponent does not take any damage, but instead is infused with Stormlight and loses dice equal to half your Abrasion score, rounded up, on all physical rolls.

Any person with slicked skin who tries to escape or avoid another character attempting to grab, hold, or pin them can add half your Abrasion score rounded up to their dice pool. This, of course, only applies if the slicked skin is involved in the grapple, ie, a person trying to escape a pin who only has a slicked hand would not benefit.

When infusing your own skin, you may infuse your entire body, a single section (such as your face), or a combination of different parts (such as both feet, or your entire body except one hand). Changing which parts are slick do not require infusing more Stormlight.

Stunts

Slick Skating - You are able to travel quickly and smoothly by slicking your feet, legs, or other body parts at speed. You may spend a number of Stormlight charges up to your Abrasion score to add half that many dice rounded up to any roll having to do with speed, agility, or other appropriate physical rolls (such as running, moving through a crowd at speed, or fitting through a small window).

Slick Skiing - When travelling down inclines, you are able to slick your feet and other body parts to gain tremendous speed, allowing you to conserve energy and outrun pursuers. To do so, spend 10 charges of Stormlight. If the incline is smooth and free of obstacles, no roll is required. However, if there are any obstacles on the slope or at the bottom, or the slope is rough or bumpy, you must roll using your Physique or Abrasion score, whichever is lower. If the roll is failed, you take damage equal to the difference between your result and the challenge target.

Precise Slicking - You may slick objects at a minimum cost of 5 charges. The cost for Slick Skiing is also reduced to 5 charges.
cometaryorbit

Post by cometaryorbit » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:13 pm

bobbyboone wrote: Slicking - Minimum cost: 10; variable
I'd either increase the benefit or decrease the cost here. I'd suggest using your whole Abrasion score rather than half.
If a floor or other surface is slicked, anyone attempting to move or take action across the infused portion must make a Physique roll, with a challenge rating of half your Abrasion score rounded up, with failure resulting in them falling to the floor.
This probably needs a clear definition of how large "the infused portion" is. I'm assuming everything that was within Touch Range of the Surgebinder when they infused it?

Otherwise, awesome!
cometaryorbit

Post by cometaryorbit » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:31 pm

PROGRESSION

Progression is the Surge of growth and healing. Plants can be made to grow to full size in moments, and otherwise crippling or lethal wounds healed.

The effects of the Progression Surge are permanent. A plant grown will not shrink back to its original size; a person healed can be wounded again, but the wounds will not reappear on their own.

Growth – Minimum cost: 5

The Growth effect of Progression can be used to increase the size or maturity of plant life (and other non-mobile, mindless Physical life forms such as fungi, sponges etc.). This allows the Surgebinder to ripen grain, produce wood or fruit, bridge a narrow stream with an enlarged tree root, etc. The cost in Stormlight is based on the amount of plant matter produced.

The use of Growth requires a pre-existing seed or living plant, and the Surgebinder must touch the seed or plant.

Charges – Effect
5 – 1 lb. or less (apple)
10 – 1 to 10 lb. (average rockbud)
15 – 10 to 50 lb.
20 – 50 to 500 lb.
30 – 500 lb. to 3 tons (small tree)
40 – 3 to 30 tons (large tree)

Regrowth – Minimum cost: 10

The healing effect of Progression is known as Regrowth. This is similar to basic Stormlight healing, but is slightly more efficient, and can be applied to another person or being. It requires touch.

Charges – Effect
10 – Restore 1 Health or remove a Serious Physical Burden
20 – Restore 3 Health or remove a Grave Physical Burden
35 – Restore 5 Health or remove a Mortal Physical Burden; stabilize a dying character automatically and raise them to 1 Health

EDIT: fixed Growth costs
Mac

Post by Mac » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Cometary, do you mind if I ask what leads you to think Abrasion is too costly as-is?

Are there rules for people being "dying"? I don't recall that. I thought you just got to 0 and then your Mortal Burden was dead. I will have to re-read the rules.

Looking back over one of the threads... wow I was being a real jerk back then. Sorry everyone.
cometaryorbit

Post by cometaryorbit » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:42 am

Mac wrote:Cometary, do you mind if I ask what leads you to think Abrasion is too costly as-is?
Well, slicking yourself/an object is a pretty narrow effect - really only affects grappling.

On further thought, though, how powerful the Surge is overall depends a lot on how large an area slicking the floor affects - that might be the strongest use of it. If it's just a Touch range thing you should be able to avoid or escape easily, so it's not that powerful. If not, it can be a powerful trap (though Adhesion uses your full surge rating rather than half).
Are there rules for people being "dying"? I don't recall that. I thought you just got to 0 and then your Mortal Burden was dead.
Yeah, page 185. At 0 health, "The character is left unconscious, dying, or dead (attacker’s choice). [...snip unconscious rules...] a dying character expires either after a period that makes sense to the Narrator given the attack, or whenever the character suffers more damage than he or she has Health remaining (this may mean the character dies immediately, denying the attacker’s chance to show mercy).
A dying character may also be saved with a successful Wits 3 roll. This stabilizes the character but does not recover any Health."

EDIT: spacing

Return to “General”