Mistborn: House War

A place to do whatever, out of character.

Postby Claincy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:02 am

As most of you probably already know the upcoming mistborn board game by crafty games has their kickstarter starting on the 15th June. You can take a look at the page in advance.

If you want you can set up a social media post to go live when the ks does here.

You can download a preview version of the rules on the ks page. Nevermind, turns out this has been disabled, probably till the campaign goes live.
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:07 am

Actually I don't believe that the download link for the rules is working yet- I assume that it will be linked to the download file once the campaign goes live.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Claincy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:11 am

Oh, that's interesting. I was able to when the page was first available, they must have removed the link since then. I guess they didn't intend to have it accessible yet :P
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Haelbarde » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:29 am

Well it certainly looks interesting. I'm going to have to work out if I'm actually going to back it or not... :/
Haelbarde

Postby Kadrok » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:04 am

Are those who play tested this allowed to make this information known and peer pressure everyone here into buying it, or are play testers meant to keep that sort of thing under wraps?
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Claincy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:16 am

Kadrok wrote:Are those who play tested this allowed to make this information known and peer pressure everyone here into buying it, or are play testers meant to keep that sort of thing under wraps?

I'm no legal expert or anything and I've asked Pat for some clarification on how much we can say, but generally I think we can't talk about any rules that aren't publicly available/were changed/anything like that. But I think we can talk about how much we liked it.
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Claincy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:41 am

Just got a response from Pat. We can absolutely talk about our experiences playtesting :)

So with that clarified...

Guys! Guys! It's really good! :D

I'm as careful/distrustful of licensed games as the next discerning gamer. We've all played our share of licensed knock offs. But mistborniness aside this game stands strong on it's own merits :D
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Haelbarde » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:43 am

Is it similar to anything else you've played?
Haelbarde

Postby Kadrok » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:23 am

Yep. Guys, this game is awesome and you should totally get it. Even my non-Mistborn father in law had fun with it (he's only a Seeker)*.

Regarding games it's like, I was a little bit reminded of Battlestar Galactica, with the "everyone's got their own resources and they're collaborating to solve problems" format, but unlike BSG it's obvious if you're trying to help or if you're trying to hinder (though your reasons for doing so may be less obvious). Also, the notion of making deals and dividing up the spoils is completely novel... in BSG it's just a given that you want to solve or sabotage the problem, but in Mistborn you can be all like, "Nah, screw you Venture! Unless you're willing to provide me with Atium you're on your own. It makes no difference to me if the Skaa are rebelling!"

Also it's cool how (unless you've got the mental capacity to keep a running total of everyone's score in your head) you can't quite be sure who's winning until the end. I ended a play test game once confident I had built up enough, only to find I'd quite underestimated my wife's score. Keeps things interesting.

* See what I did there?
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Mac » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:29 am

@Hero: Responce from Shoutbox.

I was under the impression in my (admittedly also limited) experience that kickstarting something is supposed to give you a discount. The other products I have crowdfunded have all been cheaper than they would have been had I just bought them.

And I do know that games get expensive, but $50 is still on the high end. At the FLGS I frequent, you don't typically expect to spend that much unless it's for some game with a property as popular as something like Game of Thrones, or if it's one of those massive boxes that's like four feet long and you know it's something crazy.

If the artwork on the cards is no better than the artwork of the box, it is definitely not worth an additional charge.

My plan had been to fund this game, despite knowing I wasn't going to like it, just to support something tied to a Sanderson property. It looks bad. From the MAG, we all know that Crafty's strong suit is not making mechanically sound games. And we're all cool with that, we all like coming up with our own houserules to make up the difference between the MAG and an actually functional game, or just dealing with the total and complete lack of balance. But I won't have people like you to play this board game with. I will have my friends, who I will already have to pressure into trying a Mistborn game, and who won't feel like playing it a few times until we figure out how specifically it's broken and what kludge we can apply to make it playable.

I would expect $30 to be a reasonable price for a game like this, and I was hoping I could kickstart a copy for $20. And I'll have to pay shipping. Between the insanely inflated price and the Wolverine marketing, there's literally nothing about this game which does not say to me, "We are aware that we will sell a limited number of copies to some super-fans, let's charge as much as we can get away with and try desperately to recoup some of our losses before the bad reviews completely sink us."

My money-saving tip is not going to be to wait for a discounted copy. It's to spend my money on something I will actually enjoy. Which reminds me, I need to swing by the bookstore that just opened near me and pre-order a copy of White Sand... less than three weeks, guys!

Hope you guys enjoy. I do not plan to kickstart this.
Mac

Next

Return to General