Mistborn: House War

A place to do whatever, out of character.

Postby Mac » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:16 pm

In case people care...

This link should take you to Board Game Geek where you can upvote House War. If it gets enough Upvotes, it might be voted in the top twenty Most Anticipated Games of 2017. You must have a BGG account to vote. If you're really committed to the game/Crafty, accounts on BGG are free.
Mac

Postby Herowannabe » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:00 pm

For @Mac and anyone else holding out for the Retail release of M:HW, Crafty just posted this very relavent comment on their Kickstarter page:

Crafty Games 2-time creator about 19 hours ago
@ Camilla (and everyone) - Unfortunately, we can only guarantee availability of our products through our own webstore after release. We make everything available to distributors worldwide, and those channels are well established, but it's our experience that unless a game breaks out in a major way the amount of it that actually reaches retail is almost entirely unpredictable*.
Further, many items available through this Kickstarter - everything but the Retail & Prestige Editions of the game, plus the Siege of Luthadel expansion when it releases - will NOT be available through distribution at all. There is no practical way to offer the smaller items, and they would almost certainly be ignored by the majority of distribution anyway.

Until we run out of stock, nearly everything** available through this Kickstarter campaign *will* be available through our webstore and at conventions we attend. However, until we establish flooring options in Europe, the Antipodes, and elsewhere - something that's proven extremely difficult to accomplish over the years - all of our webstore orders will be fulfilled from our U.S. warehouse in the Pacific Northwest. In all likelihood, this means the shipping charges for those items will be as high or higher*** when you order them later.
We do recommend that anyone who simply cannot afford the shipping rates we're facing should drop the expansion first. It's a second shipment and this makes it the single highest expense of any add-on. There's unfortunately very little we can do for All-In backers, whose pledge rewards constitute a lot of bulk & weight above and beyond the single game for which we estimated shipping during the campaign.
To answer your other questions as best we can right now...

- We do not yet know the final retail price for Siege of Luthadel. We can guarantee it will not be lower than the add-on cost during this campaign, but the MSRP may rise if the component costs and/or other development costs wind up being much higher than currently expect. MSRPs are very rarely decided until late in a project's development, very close to the product's release.

- Sleeving is always optional, of course, but there is potential for owners of the base game and the expansion to mix and match cards. If that happens, and your base game cards are sleeved, then you probably want the expansion cards sleeved as well. Otherwise you will be able to tell the base game cards from the expansion cards during play.

- We currently expect to offer the sleeves and other add-ons on our webstore for be the same price as they were during the campaign. It's always possible we may tweak the prices before launch or over time, but that's what we currently expect.

We hope this answers all your questions, Camilla! If not, then please post a follow-up.

* For anyone who holds off, we highly recommend you rally interest in the game at your Friendly Local Game Store. This is the very best way to make sure that location stocks our titles.

** We say "nearly everything" because as we mentioned earlier in the comments, the PennyGems are already in very short supply. We're not sure how long the remainder will last, or even if we will have any sets left over after fulfilling this campaign at all.

*** Why higher? Conventional wisdom is that shipping rates rise from 3% to 5% every single year, almost without fail. This has been going on for well over a decade, which is one of the reasons even long-time KS backers and repeat customers are experiencing so much sticker shock as new campaigns launch with ever higher shipping costs.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Mac » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Thank you!

That's... odd? Do most FLGS not just special order things for customers? The game isn't even out yet and my local store has already assured me that, like just about any other game, if they don't have it in stock they can just order it for me, no hassle. I wasn't aware it was a bigger deal most places.
Mac

Postby Herowannabe » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:02 am

Well actually I think you hit the nail right on the head- if interest is expressed in a game then they'll order it, but if not and it's an obscure or niche game (like this one) then they're not going to order it. And that was kind of Crafty's point- if you want to purchase it Retail then make sure you go to your FLGS and put a bug in their ear about it.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:23 am

For anyone who happens to live near Salt Lake City, UT, we're going to be having a release party when the game comes out. :) We're still working on a few of the details (such as the date- we don't even know when exactly the game will be shipped after all), but you can join our planning discussion here: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/60 ... house-war/
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Sir Jerric » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:19 am

A few packing thoughts:

Since the tray has four card-sized bins, I have spare sleeves in one (under the houses), house allies in another (rules suggest not using them at first, and the use of just the houses in play), normal personalities in the next, and problems in the last.

The three card bins in a row are deeper than the finger slots. I threw some scrap pieces of foam-core under the cards to make them more removable. Ribbons also can work well.

I will need to play a few games to make up my mind, but for now I am using mini bags instead of investing in a bead organizer. I decide based on how much the setup experience would improve by not having to sort out the pieces before starting.
Sir Jerric

Postby Kurkistan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:14 pm

You raise a good point about the bins being a bit too deep. I've been thinking of cutting up the punch-out sheets and using those for bottom-padding.

I've just got a pair of baggies: one for Favor/Disgrace and another for all the resources. We'll see how well that plays out. I was betrayed last night when I tried to set up a game, as the third player backed out at the last minute. :'(
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:25 pm

Sir Jerric wrote:The three card bins in a row are deeper than the finger slots. I threw some scrap pieces of foam-core under the cards to make them more removable. Ribbons also can work well.

That is an excellent idea! I'll definitely be doing that when I get home tonight.

Also, I plan on designing and making something like this for the Personality and Problem decks. They are so handy to have, especially with the sleeved cards, which have a tendency to slide around and fall over when they get bumped. Once I get them designed I will of course post PDFs for everyone to use. 8-)

Kurkistan wrote:I was betrayed last night when I tried to set up a game, as the third player backed out at the last minute. :'(

You've probably seen this but forgotten about it. Allow me to refresh your memory. The 2 player variant really does a great job at capturing the feel of the full-sized game. It needs a little tweaking to accomodate the cards that were added/changed during the Kickstarter Campaign (that's also on my to do list), but it should still work well enough for now.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kurkistan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:33 pm

Herowannabe wrote:
Kurkistan wrote:I was betrayed last night when I tried to set up a game, as the third player backed out at the last minute. :'(

You've probably seen this but forgotten about it. Allow me to refresh your memory. The 2 player variant really does a great job at capturing the feel of the full-sized game. It needs a little tweaking to accomodate the cards that were added/changed during the Kickstarter Campaign (that's also on my to do list), but it should still work well enough for now.

Yup, I now recall how I'd forgotten about your variant. I'll print it out and maybe give it a try next time I'm utterly betrayed.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:57 am

Herowannabe wrote:You've probably seen this but forgotten about it. Allow me to refresh your memory. The 2 player variant really does a great job at capturing the feel of the full-sized game. It needs a little tweaking to accomodate the cards that were added/changed during the Kickstarter Campaign (that's also on my to do list), but it should still work well enough for now.

2-Player Variant rules have now been tweaked and updated as needed. Enjoy! :)
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

PreviousNext

Return to General