D&D discussion

A place to do whatever, out of character.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: D&D discussion

Post by Claincy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:57 pm

Bill Whitmore wrote:This kind of stuff can be fun with the right group and if the GM has the players' trust.

I remember an incident I ran a while back when the party was level 4ish, high enough to have garnered some renown, but not so high that they were gods among men. A group of dopplegangers had designs on infiltrating the city and the party became their target point of infiltration.

Their first target ended up being a dwarf, one of the PCs, that had left the city on his own. I ran a brief solo session with him between our normal games where the dopplegangers managed to subdue him and he was replaced. I explained the situation to the player and he agreed to play as the doppleganger in the next session and helped to separate out one other player so they could subdue him too. Each time one of those encounters occurred, I pulled the effective players into a side room and quickly ran through the encounter then had the captured player return to the table playing their doppleganger.

In the end, the last player was surprised when the rest of the group all turned on him and subdued him, too. He knew something was up but totally wasn't expecting to be betrayed! 3:D

The next session started with all the PCs in their cells and then planning and executing their break from jail. After that, they had to convince everyone that they weren't the imposters in town. :P
XD so good. I may steal that sometime. My PCs are a bit high level for standard dopplegangers but there are still ways to do it. I think I might have enough hidden identities at the moment for that campaign though, too many more and they'll start distrusting everyone. :P
Mac

Post by Mac » Tue May 23, 2017 10:06 pm

So, my DM totally thought I was joking when I told her my character was leaping to her doom.

Then I actually jumped off the balcony and everyone was like... what?

The round before, I had given myself some temps, and I had a power that I wanted to use but it only triggers if I take damage. The bad guy was a "book storm" which is like a big air elemental stuffed full of ripped pages; the bad guys and good guys were all on the first floor and I was on the second floor. So I took the short-cut.

I weirdly nailed my acrobatics check on the way down so my DM reduced the fall damage slightly, and she ended up rolling poorly anyway, so I actually didn't even lose much beyond my temps for the fall. I was also falling through one of the Swarms so it made for a cool visual.

When I hit the ground, I used Fade Away, which has some feat support so in my case, I turn invisible and teleport away. She likes Hidden so she let me roll a stealth check to see if I could disguise where I appeared, and I have a power that lets me use arcana in place of stealth, so I described the illusion.

Leaping from the balcony, Ely the illusionist plummets through the storm of books. Her long familiarity with libraries comes to her aid, and she is able to actually plant her foot solidly on passing tomes as she falls, mitigating some of the harm. As she belly-flops onto the floor, her form vanishes in an apparent explosion of more sheets of paper, as though she'd never been more than a book herself. (The pages happened to all slip under rugs or bookshelves before they disappeared as suddenly as they appeared to hide their illusory nature.)

I then re-appeared, invisible, next to our Defender, and used my minor action to turn him into the Form of Living Iron, which gave him damage resistance and more damage on melee attacks.

After all that, I was ready for my standard action. Basic at-will attack, but it was a burst which was good cuz we were fighting swarms. Oddly someone had just used a buff which meant we all could follow up standard actions with melee basic attacks; mine is awful cuz I'm an illusionist but I tried my luck. Failed. I claimed that she missed on purpose cuz while she can bring herself to use magic to calm the possessing spirits, she just cannot abide actually cutting into books with a knife.

It was so much fun.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:21 am

I meant to reply to this a while back, sorry :(

Nice :D Full points for style on that one.

A few weeks back I had a rather good session in which the players finally reached something I'd been looking forward to for quite some time.

It had a slow start but picked up dramatically as it went on. The one combat we had ended up being rather more dramatic than I thought it would, and more interesting as a result. We recently added a homebrew lingering injury table that you roll on whenever you drop to 0 hp, which has really helped amp up tension in combat (someone lost an eye in this instance). The best part was after that though when the players finally arrived at the ruined underground city they've been travelling to for the past half dozen sessions. There was a powerful magical obelisk in the place they entered with Memory based power (There are 5 special obelisks of this general nature in my campaign world, covering location/memory/form/time/power). When each player first touched this obelisk they experienced a rush of memories, too fast to really comprehend them but with 1 in particular that stuck in their memory which I narrated to them before continuing to describe the rush of other memories. Each of those memories was a carefully chosen one that hinted at or revealed something significant related to the campaign. The stream of memories would then start going through their own memories and one in particular would stand out in their mind. And that is where I stopped and let the player describe one of their character's memories before continuing.

I used the playlist I'd labeled "sad" for this sequence, full of more emotional/thoughtful/whimsical/sad music. And it worked really well. The tone of the music really amplified my narration and their narration of their own characters' memories and I was surprised by how many times parts of the music directly complemented my narration. Swells in the volume & melody and just the right time as one of the memories concluded and the like.

It was very satisfying.
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:07 am

Ran a battle royale for my dnd players last night. I had to push things forward faster than I would have liked in the second half as it was getting late, but it still went well and it came down to the wire on who won. Some very fortunate rolls and a major risk that paid off turned the course of the battle.

I also took the opportunity to create the largest 3d terrain map I've done so far, using the majority of my dwarven forge. (My brother helped with designing and building it too which increased the quality further.) I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Here are some pics :) (Dog included for scale.)

The bridge in the centre can change orientation to rest on either stone tower when certain levers were pulled. (Cue multiple "Pull the lever Kronk" jokes.)
battle royale 1.jpg
battle royale 1.jpg (3.06 MiB) Viewed 1632 times
battle royale 2.jpg
battle royale 2.jpg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 1632 times
battle royale 3.jpg
battle royale 3.jpg (3.15 MiB) Viewed 1632 times
battle royale with dog.jpg
battle royale with dog.jpg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 1632 times
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:36 am

Looks awesome! What's a battle royale?
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:46 am

A session dedicated to an all out battle between the pcs. It's non-canon, or canon but existing through a kind of shared dream in this case.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:14 am

Ah, sounds awesome! :)
Mac

Post by Mac » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:44 pm

What is doggo's name?
Claincy
Board Ruler