State of the Steel Ministry

A place to do whatever, out of character.

Postby Herowannabe » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:42 pm

So, let's talk about the elephant in the room- or rather, the lack of one. This site has slowed down... a lot. There's only one game that is even remotely active, and even that one is averaging 1 post every week or two. I'm not blaming anyone or anything- Real life happens and I've been just as busy as everyone else, and I'm definitely guilty of letting things slide in the games I've been GMing for quite some time now.

But I'm curious what people's opinions are. Personally, I still check in on the site at least once a day to see if anything new has been posted, and I would love to continue playing- both as a player and as a GM. GMing (obviously) has continued to be tough for me and I just haven't been able to commit enough time and attention to keep it up lately, but I'm hoping to improve that soon.

I'd really like to revive this site and get some games going again. I'd love to be a player, but GMs are in short supply so I'm willing to step up to the GM-plate again if that's what it takes.

But what about you guys? In the interest of gathering info,

1. Let's take a role call of who is still checking in- please reply to this thread when you read this.

2. How often are you able to check in and post on the site?

3. How much do you desire to keep playing games? GM a game?

4. What sort of game(s) would interest you the most? Would you rather revive a currently inactive game or start a new one? Final Empire Era or Alloy of Law? A Futile-Efforts mini-adventure type thing (whether vs The Lord Ruler or something else. I have a scenario in mind of a crew trying to defend a village from a Koloss war band)? Something else?

5. I guess, in short, what would it take to get things going on the site again? I don't want to pressure anyone to play if they're not interested or commit time to the site if they don't have time to spare, I just want to gauge interest.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby bobbyboone » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:10 pm

Hey, I'm relatively new here, and relatively new to the MAG in general, compared to all you veterans. ;) But I've enjoyed playing here. The slow pace doesn't bother me, and I'm in a position where I can check the site daily. I guess me posting in this thread is proof I check the site.

Also, real quick, thanks Hero for starting this thread!

So, to answer the questions:

1. ... Me! I'm here!

2. I am able to post daily.

3. I would love to GM a game. I've GM'd one session in real life, plus some D&D, so I'm not super experienced, but even those few bits have given me a lot of confidence. I actually have a scenario/start of a possible adventure. It's pretty short (it's the one I did in real life, actually), and it could be set in Era 1 or 2. I'll make a write up and post it in Recruiting.

4. Your recent Justice Like Ash was my first actual play of the MAG, and I thought you did a great job. I enjoyed the characters and Crew, so I would love to keep that going. However, I can understand if you would rather not keep it going right now. If that is the case, I'll be on the look out to get my humble shopkeeper in another adventure! Your idea of a mini-adventure sounds like a good way to revitalize the site.

5. As I said, I think a mini-adventure or 3 would help out, and getting shout outs on the Crafty site or 17th Shard would help, too. I hope this thread helps out, too!

EDIT:
Important note: I am willing to GM, but I would need a few pointers on how to run a game on the Steel Ministry! :)
bobbyboone

Postby Kurkistan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:46 pm

1. Still here.

2. Daily is probably reliable, multiple times a day is quite possible, particularly on the weekends. As a fair warning I'll be traveling a lot in August so if something starts immediately then I might immediately betray that claim.
-Tying into this as a general note, I think that there's a certain minimum threshold for activity to make a quest feel "fast": anything less than a post a day starts to drag, while really you want multiple posts a day.

3. I like playing. I'm feeling less enamored with the MAG's system these days, but the narratives on this site are fun enough to offset that. My attempts to GM went... poorly, it seems, and in general I fear I'm not that good at tracking/creating all the content I need to.

4. Futile Efforts was a fun experiment, but doesn't really capture the draw of the game for me. I like the narratives, while little mini-scenarios are almost necessarily focused on mechanics. A "one-shot" with a bit more scope might be doable, though. Setting doesn't really matter to me that much.

5. I feel that I'm ready to roll when everyone else is.

---

As a general note I've become a bit less active in the last few years (wow I feel old measuring things in that way) because I graduated college and became a productive member of society. Turns out that 40 hours of work later you don't have quite as much spunk to lovingly craft narratives, though I'm willing to try to get going at higher speed again.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby Sir Jerric » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:06 am

1. I've been looking in less frequently after my last game faded out, but I'm still around.

2. I can still manage a once-per-day rate of posting, if I were actively involved in something

3. I dare say I could try to Narrate a game, if there were demand for me to do so, but I came to this site because my in-person games all require me to be the GM/Narrator, so this is my only player outlet at present.

4. I've found the Era 1 setting a bit too stiff on my creativity, so I prefer Era 2 or Homebrew settings. I wouldn't mind reviving Beasts of Burden if Kurk and the others all wanted to, but I think I was being a bit hard on Kurk with my character type, so sorry about that. (If you want to drop the curtain and have a chat about what worked and what didn't, Kurk, I'd enjoy the feedback / closure. Even if it probably is a year late to ask.) :ugeek:

5. I've been trying to revive my RP gaming again of late (I haven't really done any since last year), so I'd like to try again while I have a few months of no anticipated distractions.
Sir Jerric

Postby Mac » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:46 am

Herowannabe wrote:1. Let's take a role call of who is still checking in- please reply to this thread when you read this.

Here.

I was camping this weekend so I'm ironically a few days late responding to this, but every couple of hours at work when I need to relax from whatever I'm currently working on, SteelMinistry is still in my list of site I open real quick to see if anything new is up. tl;dr, several times a day, though that's mostly to check that nope, still no red. I think I would be able to respond at least 2/3 times a day.

Erm... well this is awkward. As some of you may recall, I was about to start GMing a game... and quit, as well as the game I was active in... specifically because of inactivity. If people are committing to posting more than once a week, I would be willing to giving GMing another try. In the interests of my sanity I think I'd prefer another one-shot (I think I could take a crack at defending a town from rampaging Koloss, or something similar, or something wholly different if people want).

4. What sort of game(s) would interest you the most?

Playing was... fun, but I think I'd prefer to GM. As stated above, I'd rather a contained, mini-adventure, where it's not the end of the world if a character dies off and we know that we won't be continuing past a certain point. Mostly cuz I'm still a little gun-shy about how frequently people will post and I don't know that I want to commit to something that might take actual, real-life years at two or three posts a week.

5. I guess, in short, what would it take to get things going on the site again? I don't want to pressure anyone to play if they're not interested or commit time to the site if they don't have time to spare, I just want to gauge interest.

I've been using this site mostly for theory-crafting, or just rambling. I'll confess I was sorta hoping that giving people something, anything, to comment on/discuss might help rev up some interest. My efforts don't seem to have succeeded, however.

Whatever I can do that might stir up more interest, I'm willing to give it a go.
Mac

Postby jeremyguebert » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:10 pm

1. Let's take a role call of who is still checking in- please reply to this thread when you read this.

Here.

Daily-ish. Ironically, I'm probably more likely to post during the work-week, as I'll often have a few minutes of downtime here and there, whereas on the weekend I'm often away from the computer or immersed in a video game. So, probably multiple times per day during the week, and I could commit to checking at least once a day during weekends if I was in an active game.

I would enjoy getting to play a game. I have yet to play a game IRL, and the two games I've started here have ground out pretty quickly. Because of that, I don't feel I have the experience to try GMing.

4. What sort of game(s) would interest you the most? Would you rather revive a currently inactive game or start a new one? Final Empire Era or Alloy of Law? A Futile-Efforts mini-adventure type thing (whether vs The Lord Ruler or something else. I have a scenario in mind of a crew trying to defend a village from a Koloss war band)? Something else?

At this point, a fresh start seems nice. I don't really have a preference on era. I have a slight preference towards a shorter adventure just because of the time-frame necessitated by pbp

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me, activity breeds activity - if I was involved in an active game, I know I would be more interested in and motivated to check the site more regularly.
jeremyguebert

Postby Herowannabe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:27 pm

A couple things: First off: Wow! I wasn't expecting so many responses so quickly! And some of you I haven't heard from in ages- I didn't even know you were still around. Awesome!

Second, Thanks to @Bobbyboone for stepping up to Narrate! I mentioned this in the other thread, but don't worry about the ins and outs and nuances of Narrating here on the site. We'll help you out wherever you need it. :)

To those of you who mentioned an interest in narrating adventures of your own, I invite you to go ahead and do so! It's always easy to find players willing to play- it's Narrators that we tend to have a shortage of.

@Mac: you are right to be worried about players going inactive- it happens, even in the best of games. You just have to kind of be prepared for it and willing to adapt when that time comes (ie: don't plan too much of the main storyline around one particular character, etc). But really, I've found that most games keep rolling along just fine if a player or two drops (heck- the first adventure on this site, "Can of Worms," cycled through complete sets of characters once or twice before it petered out)- so I would be more concerned with your ability to stick with the game as the Narrator- that's what kills game (I should know... :mrgreen: )

jeremyguebert wrote:Can't speak for anyone else, but for me, activity breeds activity - if I was involved in an active game, I know I would be more interested in and motivated to check the site more regularly.

Very very true, as this very thread demonstrates. All I did was mention my desire to continue playing and ask everyone else about theirs and boom- look what's happened: 1 new game starting, 1 game for sure being revived (Dying Light) and probably a second (Justice, Like Ash), and possibly even more new games on the way. All in less than 24 hours. :D
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Claincy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:04 am

1. I'm here :D

2. Gonna recommit to checking and hopefully posting daily. Life stuff that got in the way hasn't really stopped but I'm making progress on fixing my ability to deal with it again.

3/4. Very much, just need to get my brain back into the right mindset for PBP. I'll get more regular at keeping PoS up to date and I'll keep playing in Dying Light and/or JLA depending on if they both get revived. I don't think I'll be starting another campaign myself for now, but we'll see how I'm going a few months from now. (Though fair warning, there is a possibility that if I do start another campaign eventually it'll be homebrew not Mistborn.) I'd be interested in playing in another short adventure though. I think a rp focused mini-adventure would work better than a combat one though.

5. Apparently, this thread :P Followed by the campaigns actually reviving/new one/s starting

(Edit: I make no promises on when (or definitively if) for this but I'll try to find time to look into PHP again and see if I can get a new dice mod working on the test site. Then see if I can contact tec to look at pushing the upgrade through. Almost everything else was ready to go on that front. After the work we put into getting it ready it'd be a shame to never finish that.)
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:30 am

Herowannabe wrote:1. Let's take a role call of who is still checking in- please reply to this thread when you read this.
Here. Still alive. Is it weird I kind of blame myself for the site dying down? I used to have so much energy for this, and now it seems like everything is a drain. Depression sucks.
Herowannabe wrote:2. How often are you able to check in and post on the site?
I can probably get back up to daily, or at very least weekly.
Herowannabe wrote:3. How much do you desire to keep playing games? GM a game?
I... don't know. I'm expecting to become VERY keen to play again when AoL2 comes out however.
Herowannabe wrote:4. What sort of game(s) would interest you the most? Would you rather revive a currently inactive game or start a new one? Final Empire Era or Alloy of Law? A Futile-Efforts mini-adventure type thing (whether vs The Lord Ruler or something else. I have a scenario in mind of a crew trying to defend a village from a Koloss war band)? Something else?
Finishing the games we have. Also I very much prefer the Alloy of Law setting to the Final Empire setting.
Herowannabe wrote:5. I guess, in short, what would it take to get things going on the site again? I don't want to pressure anyone to play if they're not interested or commit time to the site if they don't have time to spare, I just want to gauge interest.
I'll try. My life is in a bit of a shambles at the moment to be quite honest. A lot of my Mistborn related hopes are riding on the AoL supplement right now. Maybe I should find the time to reread Cosmere books, that always gets me in the mood.

EDIT: *Rereads inbox responses* Wow. Am I bipolar? Because this whole passage is very down, but my private message roll call responses are very up.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Claincy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:10 am

Mac wrote:I've been using this site mostly for theory-crafting, or just rambling. I'll confess I was sorta hoping that giving people something, anything, to comment on/discuss might help rev up some interest. My efforts don't seem to have succeeded, however.

Whatever I can do that might stir up more interest, I'm willing to give it a go.

While that hasn't caused a dramatic revitilisation of the site it's fair to say it helped keep things more active than they otherwise would've been :) All told there are quite a few posts across the various musings & other discussion threads.
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Next

Return to General