Masks of the Past

A place to do whatever, out of character.

Postby Mac » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:08 am

Reading the novels I had just assumed that the medallions were simply full nicrosilminds... remember that you can store an awful lot of power in a comparatively small piece of metal. From a few places in the book, I got the impression that feruchemists rarely if ever get to the point where "I don't have enough of this metal" is a problem, unless all metalminds have been taken from someone or you're talking about the copperminds that hold "the sum total of human knowledge."

Given the Set knew how to make a full goldmind, I just figured that between the excisors and medallions, some people in the South are nicrosil compounders, and they mass-produce medallions filled with so much "[insert metal] feruchemy" that, like Wayne's bracelet, they're enough storage to last you weeks if not months.

Just my head!canon, not sure if that's meant to be implied by the books. Sorry if this seems a bit rambly, I've had two ruinous weeks at work and thinking about realmatics/the metallic arts makes me feel better.

Five more hours and all the guests will leave and I can finally get back to just my normal job.
Mac

Postby Sir Jerric » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:26 am

I've been using that assumption as well. I just thought it odd that several of the usual descriptions were absent* when dealing with the Nicrosilminds. No vast supply of Feruchemical ability, unlike when Wayne got the full goldmind for example. Also, no descriptions of tapping at various rates, unlike when using the brassminds. The absence of the usual descriptions caught my attention.
*This is still based on audiobook, so I may have missed important sentences. Please feel free to inform me.
Sir Jerric

Postby Kurkistan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:18 pm

I recall seeing a conjecture that hemalurgy interacted interestingly with nicrosil metalminds to grant the powers a bit more passively/sustainably.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby Mac » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:46 pm

Sir Jerric wrote:I just thought it odd that several of the usual descriptions were absent* when dealing with the Nicrosilminds.

That is true, and I never really thought about it. I'm hoping we learn much more about them in the Lost Metal.
Mac

Postby Kadrok » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:57 am

So is a Malwish Steel Compounder the optimal build now? The ability to take the medallions as props seems pretty powerful.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Mac » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:22 am

I'm still saying pewterplate but I'm biased.

In other news, your post reminded me that I never picked Red's stunt. @.@ Tin-ker it is!
Mac

Postby Sir Jerric » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Found the quote I needed to confirm this fact. Which I am going to house-rule in all of my games using the medallions. I'll probably pencil it into my hardcopy too, just to reinforce the point. :|

I suppose you may be wondering what I'm going on about.
In MAG AoL:MotP pages 84-85, Crafty Games wrote:Duralumin and Iron universal metalmind †
Props 1, Difficulty 2*, Grants Duralumin Feruchemy 3 and Iron Feruchemy 3;
contains an empty 25-charge Duraluminmind and an empty 25-charge Ironmind;
while storing connection, wearer can understand languages native to the land he’s in
In The Bands of Mourning (ch. 22, last pages, 386 in pb), Brandon Sanderson wrote:"Because we're in your lands," [Allik] said. "The visitor always has to wear the medallion. It's filled with Connection, yah? Blank Connection, to no place. But Connection can't just be connected to nothing, so when you tap it, it reaches out and connects you to the place where you are. Makes your soul think you were raised in this place instead, so your language changes."
[Underlines are my addition.]

Of course, this brings up the whole "Blank Connection" situation. Can the medallion be refilled like any universal metalmind, or is there an extra trick to Blank Connection? I plan to go with "If you can achieve filling a universal Duraluminmind, the stored Connection is Blank as a side effect." Mostly because I haven't thought of any other way to make it Blank.
Sir Jerric

Postby Kadrok » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Aha! That has been bugging me for ages! Thank you!
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:30 pm

So I finally got my copy of MotP and have been skimming through it and noticed something interesting.

The supplement says that Telsin has 3 spikes, but 4 powers. By process of elimination we see that her fDuralumin is not granted by Hemalurgy. So I guess this means she is a Connector ferring? I did not know this before. Did anyone else know of this?
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Mac » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:55 pm

I had heard it was a fan-theory. That I know of, someone once asked Brandon and his reply was, "That's an interesting question."

The basis was that when Wax heard she died, he oddly felt very little. People thought she might have been storing Connection.

Given Crafty's track record I'm inclined to assume they heard the theory and went with it, over the idea that they know something from Brandon we do not. That said, it's totally possible.
Mac

Previous

Return to General