Masks of the Past

A place to do whatever, out of character.

Postby Herowannabe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:54 am

With Masks of the Past being released today it's time we had a thread to discuss it in. ;)

As of this post I haven't purchased MotP yet, but I have skimmed through the preview.

MeLaan's picture: dead on. Bravo! Seriously Crafty gets the best artistic talent! *checks credits page* Ahh, no wonder, they were able to get Ben McSweeny back for this supplement. Sweet! :D

Speaking of artwork, the iconography for the modern Hemalurgic spikes is awesome, too! 3:D

So many new stunts! And gear and networks!

8 (EIGHT!) New adventures/yarns!!! Sweet! I don't know what they mean by "yarn," though the looks of it they are just mini-adventures, or perhaps just basic outlines for bigger adventurea (letting the Narrator fill in details). Each one is about a half dozen pages give or take and has 3 acts.

I don't see anything that suggests updated rules for the feruchemical powers that we now know work differently than how the MAG says. :| I was hoping for that more than just about anything else. Though at least there is a section on creating universal metalminds.

But I did notice one HUGE addition to this game, hidden away deep within the table of contents. Seriously I don't know how they managed to keep this secret until now. Did you catch it? Go back and look again.

That's right,
Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Giraffes!!!!!
IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG (89.21 KiB) Viewed 346 times

Now I'm one step closer to my lifelong dream of creating a giraffe-saddle and riding one of these magnificent creatures around. :D
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm super excited too, especially by the homeland stunts, but one thing struck me:

Cre- ating a new generation of kandra is quite the serious affair, partially because it requires the insertion of Hemalurgic spikes into mistwraiths — and each spike represents an Allomantic talent stolen from a once-living person. Therefore, for a kandra to be born, an Allomancer must suffer loss of power and life.

What.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby bobbyboone » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Yeah, I saw that too. It's definitely contradicted by WoB, the trilogy, the MAG, and like three pages later. :roll:

Kadrok wrote:What.
Indeed.
bobbyboone

Postby Herowannabe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:47 pm

We keep telling them they need to let at least a couple of us hardcore sanderfans proofread it... :roll:
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:04 pm

Herowannabe wrote:We keep telling them they need to let at least a couple of us hardcore sanderfans proofread it... :roll:
I know, right?!
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:58 pm

"Academic Connections" is also worded oddly, considering wits can be used for non-intellectual things...
I guess using the stunt requires being able to spend the day. The day is the cost. But it certainly put some amusing scenarios into my head.

Sara faces off against Zombie Jastes in a Pistol Duel! She rolls Wits, but fails! "Give me a second," she interjects, "I just need to phone a friend..."

EDIT: In hindsight the day requirement excludes any use of this stunt which would be too thematically odd.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Sir Jerric » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:29 am

"I'd like to stake out the estate and decipher what is going on inside."

"Make a Wits roll. Difficulty 4."

"Rusts! Wait, I call up my academic colleagues and get their opinions on what I observed."

"Alright. Roll again. But you lose a day doing so."

"But, we need to break in by tonight!"

Narrator shrugs.

Edit: Mr. Suit has a Steel spike granting an effect attributed to Aluminum Hemalurgy.
Sir Jerric

Postby Herowannabe » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:00 am

"I'd like to eavesdrop on the street gang's conversation."

"Okay, roll your wits"

"Hang on, let me ask around. Maybe one of my colleagues overheard something..."

Sir Jerric wrote:Mr. Suit has a Steel spike granting an effect attributed to Aluminum Hemalurgy.

What do you mean?

Oh wait, I see it now. He should have 1 Steel spike, 1 Gold spike, and 1 Aluminum spike. Huh. :roll:
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:27 am

Wait, so I was right and it is weird? Huh. That's both reassuring and disappointing.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:59 am

Speaking of his spikes, the numbers are inconsistent.

Does he have Gold 6, Steel 5 and Chromium 5 (as per the Hemalurgy section), or does he have 4s in them all?

And his Wits are 7, despite 6 being the cap. Dammit Crafty, we talked about this after the Terris Supplement.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Next

Return to General