Masks of the Past

A place to do whatever, out of character.

Postby Mac » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:48 am

Heh, as someone who doesn't have it and likely won't get it, I understand intellectually that you're all deliberately bringing up the worst bits for a reason, and that as a whole you like the supplement. It still amuses me that I'm feeling better about skipping it.
Mac

Postby Herowannabe » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 am

Actually so far we're only bringing up he worst bits in the sampler. I don't think anyone who has commented on this thread has the full version yet. I confess I'm a little worried about what we may find in the full version... :?
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Sir Jerric » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:26 am

Yeah, I'm on sampler only also. The cool stuff is mostly brief. I actually like the Academic Connections stunt, though I agree that the wording doesn't immediately suggest the right technique for logically narrating its use.

The sampler includes both of the new Gunsmithing Stunts, but only has one Gunplay Stunt and the last paragraph of the stunt before. What I can see makes me want both of them for Grant. The partial opens with "Additionally, you may use your gun as a melee weapon", which sounds like something I'd want Grant to have, whatever the rest is. The full text Stunt allows you to pull Wax's favorite trick and shoot peoples weapons from their hands or around the room using Wits for your base stat (which again sounds great for Grant, since I gave him 5 Wits).

From the Table of Contents, there is a solid selection of new equipment(~12 pages) and Networks(~4 pages), and a goodly number of new stunts (~12 pages). Though I cannot give a solid count until I have the full book, page ranges are informative.
Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Kandra Powers -- 27, *might flow into 28*
Kandra Stunts -- 28-30, *2 or 3 pages*
The Malwish People -- 31-38,
Malwish Stunts -- 36-38, *about 2.5 pages*
Terris Stunts -- 46-48, *about 2.5 pages*
Neworks (and other new upgrades?) -- 66-69, *3.5 pages*
Gunplay Stunts -- 70-71, *1.5 pages*
Gunsmithing Stunts -- 71-72, *1 page*
City Dweller Stunts -- 72-73, *0.5 or 1 page*
Roughs Dweller Stunts -- 73-74, *about 1 page*
Firearms -- 75-77, *3 pages*
Other Weapons -- 78-??, *3 or more pages*
Other Equipment -- 81-??, *1 or 2 pages*
Malwish Technology -- 83-??, *1.5 or 2 pages*
Technological Advances -- 85-??,
Inventors of Note -- 87-88,
Relics -- 88-90, *one page of generalities, 2/3 page per item?*
The Bands of Mourning -- 89,
The Ascendant Warrior’s Knives -- 89-90,
The Lance of the Fountains -- 90
Sir Jerric

Postby bobbyboone » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:47 am

I actually have the full text. I haven't read all of it for sure, but I've skimmed some, and here's my impressions. The new stunts, equipment, and networks are really neat, and will add a lot. The 8 stories at the end look pretty sweet and should be very helpful! Also, the artwork is fan-freaking-tastic.

I have three issues I've noticed. The writing is kind of rough, as has been noted. The other thing is there just doesn't seem to be a lot of depth on the new stuff. For comparison, in the Alloy of Law supplement, Koloss tribes got a lot of detail. I don't know if that was from Brandon's input, but it was pretty neat, regardless of canonicity. However, we don't get much about the Malwish culture. The final issue is that feruchemy hasn't been changed to fit what we've learned.

I think the guys at Crafty did well bringing us what we saw in SoS and BoM, but I feel they don't want to do too any extrapolation until after The Lost Metal. Which is fine.

So yeah, my thoughts.
bobbyboone

Postby Herowannabe » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:13 pm

The final issue is that feruchemy hasn't been changed to fit what we've learned.

BOO!!! I specifically requested that over a year ago. *sigh* Oh well, house rules it is.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Claincy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Just got my link for the download from the kickstarter. :D I probably won't read it thoroughly till the physical book arrives but I'll skim through it soon.
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:52 pm

I'm curious how it deals with making unkeyed metalminds, seeing as they didn't seem fit to update the rules for Identity and Investiture.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 pm

Just got it too! Making the metalminds is a bit weird, but I think I see why they did it that way.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Sir Jerric » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:44 am

Making the "universal metalminds" is only described in narrative terms, though the steps are enumerated. But they apparently were unable to get Brandon to tell them anything about the excisors. So the paraphrase is "If your crew wants to dig into this particular secret, you'll need to invent your own details."

The most interesting part is that in using universal metalminds, there are no feruchemical charges of Investiture being stored or tapped. I had noticed that stored Powers seemed to be inexhaustible in the novel. Looks like that has been accurately represented.

To sum up, Crafty still does not have better access to Brandon's magic system notes than we do, so they didn't try making any significant modification to the rules they have playtested.
Sir Jerric

Postby Kadrok » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:27 am

I think tapping does occur, it's just been handwaved like the use of fBrass to sustain heat.

Then again, who knows given that Ettmetal and Exisors are a thing.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

PreviousNext

Return to General