Oathbringer discussion (SPOILERS for everything so far)

A place to do whatever, out of character.

Postby jeremyguebert » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:21 pm

Yeah. Spanreeds are pretty freaking awesome tech to have, and it's frustrating to me that half the population can't really take advantage of them. Especially when one of like 5 known Knights Radiant is off gallivanting by himself.
jeremyguebert

Postby Herowannabe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:55 am

Chapter 25-

Is that a Kandra, spying on Shallan? It sure as Mraize sounds like a Kandra squeezing through the cracks: “goo with bones jutting out.”

And is it the one mimicking the murders? And why? Hmmm...

Also, going back a bit in our conversation, I kinda feel dumb now. I started rereading Way of Kings and it says in the very first chapter in which Adolin and Dalinar are introduced that Adolin inherited the Shardplate from his mother’s side.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Skullduggery » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:41 am

I dont think he is a Kandra, How would they world hop?
Skullduggery

Postby Kurkistan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:55 am

The same way Iyatil's ancestors did, presumably.

That said a random serial killer Kandra doesn't seem very on-theme for the kind of Odious influence that the text is implying is happening, bec--

Nevermind. It could possibly be one of the Set's Faceless Immortals from the end of BoM.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:08 am

Kurkistan wrote:The same way Iyatil's ancestors did, presumably.

That said a random serial killer Kandra doesn't seem very on-theme for the kind of Odious influence that the text is implying is happening, bec--

Nevermind. It could possibly be one of the Set's Faceless Immortals from the end of BoM.

Just finished ch 27, and those are my thoughts exactly. The Set has faceless immortals with glowing red eyes. The Parshendi in storm form have glowing red eyes. Now we have something on Roshar that looks like a Kandra, which Pattern says is something from long ago from Odium. The connections are looking more and more likely.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kurkistan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:17 am

Then again, re-reading the chapter in BoM where the evil!Faceless Immortal is introduced, I got a vibe that it was more of a possession thing than a Kandra thing, so it's possible that they're just ghosts, rather than being physical shapeshifters like Kandra.

e: Though I suppose that, while we're at it, an EFI could possess a Kandra or a mistwraith and get the best of both worlds.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby jeremyguebert » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:23 am

Technically, the creature, whether it's a kandra or not, is imitating violence, not just murders (c.f. the hand-stabbing). I feel like this could lead to a good way to trap the creature - find a pair of twins, and injure one in a non-serious way, then follow the other one around waiting for something sketchy to show up.
jeremyguebert

Postby Herowannabe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:38 am

IF it’s the one doing the imitations. It seems likely that it is, but we don’t know for sure.

Changing topics, from a literary standpoint, I wonder what Brandon’s thought process was in eliminating Sadeas only to replace him with Amaram. He has literally taken one protagonist’s nemesis and replaced him with another protagonist’s nemesis. It seems like an odd direction to take the story, but perhaps it will make more sense as time goes on.

EDIT:
Kurkistan wrote:Then again, re-reading the chapter in BoM where the evil!Faceless Immortal is introduced, I got a vibe that it was more of a possession thing than a Kandra thing, so it's possible that they're just ghosts, rather than being physical shapeshifters like Kandra.

e: Though I suppose that, while we're at it, an EFI could possess a Kandra or a mistwraith and get the best of both worlds.

Thinking about this some more, the glowing red eyes might be a result of being possessed/directly influenced by Odium-Spren. After all, a shapeshifter with glowing eyes is kind of self-defeating. And that would leave room for the Kandra/shape-shifters to have their own motivations and lives when not being possessed, just like the Parshendi do/did.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Skullduggery » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:14 am

In the chapter Which color was eyes glowing again

What is a EFI?

To create a Kandra you need a mistwraith right
Skullduggery

Postby Skullduggery » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:19 am

Why has Brandon Sanderson decided to release 30 chapters for free?
Skullduggery

PreviousNext

Return to General